Comic Talk, Tips and Tricks

Need help with way I draw
Ateljux at 2:00AM, July 23, 2010
(offline)
Just in the last few minutes somthing has come to my attention. Over the last few months now ive been feeling like my art is all starting to set, so to speak. Every drawing i did ended up looking alittle the same, i ended up drawing mainly one pose and one style which was very limited.

Recently ive been trying to break out of it and start gaining a more broad style, like i used to have before starting to draw people. But now ive just scribbled somthing that amazed me, because i would have never thought in a million years that i could draw like that. Its just what im looking for, its like a whole new style had been hidden away, the pose of the character (which i allways struggle with) the design the look and feel everything is just right….but thats also the problem.

I tried to do somthing like it again and it was back to the old stuck form. Seems i only did the drawing whilst i wasnt really trying i just scribbled it down. But i cant just stop over thinking and start scribling because now im trying too hard to do that lol, can you see my problem? need some advice :/
Click the link,get taken to my webcomic: Abram goes to HELL.

and now Just wing it, a post apocalyptic comic, dark humour:
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:03AM
Hunchdebunch at 4:24AM, July 23, 2010
(online)
I'm not really sure if this would help you, but you could try going through a magazine, or photos on the internet, and roughly copy down the poses of people in there. Try doing them quite quickly, and just worry about getting the pose down, not working in any real style. See if that helps you to loosen up a bit :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:51PM
Koshou at 9:35AM, July 23, 2010
(offline)
yeah, try doing some gestures and stuff. They might help you relax a little, and they'll probably help with the whole breaking out of the old style thing as well.

Here's a site I use sometimes, it's not perfect but it's pretty helpful: http://www.posemaniacs.com/
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:21PM
korosu at 1:57PM, July 23, 2010
(online)
You know, I keep feeling like my art has been “set” also, but then I look at stuff I've drawn a year ago and remind myself that, as an artist, you can never truly be “set” on your style and abilities. The more and more you practice, the more your art grows and evolves. You may still keep the same drawing style, but it'll always get better. I don't even know if there IS a point in which the growth just stops and truly settles.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:21PM
Ateljux at 4:39PM, July 24, 2010
(offline)
Thanks for the responses, i admit it was just alittle weird because there has always been a certain style i have when drawing but then this pic just practically drew itself and it was different to any drawing i have done, i dont even remember learning how to draw it lol, i practiced but never got it right haha

I think it comes down to confidence in movement, because my characters are all alittle constrained because i never let the drawing flow out like running, you have to make it look like it is. In my drawings all arm lengths the same no matter what pose and such same as leg and body and i think to gain movement you have to exaggerate the lines, i was never good at that.
Click the link,get taken to my webcomic: Abram goes to HELL.

and now Just wing it, a post apocalyptic comic, dark humour:
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:03AM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved