Comic Talk, Tips and Tricks

Need Info about NYC(and possibly USA in general)
Vogel at 11:10AM, May 26, 2008
(offline)
sup.

I need some info about NYC, because i plan to go there for a week to take a look at some universities and I gotta calculate my expenses and how to travel and survive there…

so I'd like

ß) some info about the public transportation system(mainly if there is a site on the web where you enter your starting position, your target and it shows you how to get there by using the available busses ‘n’ stuff, where to get off, which one to take, which direction to drive, how long it will (approx.) take and how much i will have to spend)

ß) how much an average cab drive costs(as in from hostel to certain places;as alternative for pub transport)

ß) how much you avg. spend on food a day(tourist-version…MC-D, KFC,BK..cheap fastfood will keep me alive and rawking)

i'd prefer someone with real-life experience as it is hard to compare prices when you have to juggle around with euros and dollar exchange rates..n stuff..

well thanks anyway(if anyone actually answers..),

cu vogel

well… those are
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:42PM
Skullbie at 11:24AM, May 26, 2008
(online)
http://www.google.com/

last edited on July 14, 2011 3:46PM
HippieVan at 2:43PM, May 26, 2008
(online)
Haha Skullbie's funny…and right.
Duchess of Friday Newsposts and the holy Top Ten
Have a comic milestone, a community project or some comic-related news you’d like to see in
a newspost? Send it to me via PQ or at hippievannews(at)gmail.com!
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:48PM
bravo1102 at 3:52PM, May 26, 2008
(online)
More specifically:

MTA NY Transit: http://www.mta.info/nyct/service/schemain.htm

Go to delis and pizza places. Fast food in NYC is horribly over priced (the dollar menu costs two dollars)

Cabs:

http://www.ny.com/transportation/taxis/

general information:

http://www.ny.com/

I live close to NYC.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:33AM
D0m at 4:39AM, May 27, 2008
(online)
If you're from a small town, or aren't used to places where people -may- attack you, just keep your head on and don't be a tourist. I know it might be hard, but…I dunno.

Don't look anyone in the eye who appears shady. I'm serious.

Nadya- a tale about what happens to SOME of us when we die.

Currently: Nadya is awake and asking more relevant questions.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:03PM
amanda at 7:42AM, May 27, 2008
(online)
I strongly second D0m's comment - don't make yourself a target - always have a clear idea of where you're going. But I think this is true in any city =]
I found a pretty good series of articles called “How to Visit New York City” - you can check it out at this website if you're interested. Have a nice trip!
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:51AM
bravo1102 at 9:15AM, May 27, 2008
(online)
D0m
If you're from a small town, or aren't used to places where people -may- attack you, just keep your head on and don't be a tourist. I know it might be hard, but…I dunno.

Don't look anyone in the eye who appears shady. I'm serious.

Since Guiliani just ain't true. Also under Bloomberg with cops wearing full riot gear and carrying MP5 submachine guns and smiling at you as they stand in the corner I always feel really, really safe.

As the site quoted by amanda says that's all an urban legend these days. It's far more dangerous in various New Jersey cities especially Camden, Newark, Jersey City and parts of Asbury Park and Atlantic City(once you leave the boardwalk), but since they're not the homes of major media outlets the crimes aren't reported. Even certain streets of New Brunswick are nastier than New York City and that's a college town swarming with annoying college students, but you just don't go certain places if you value your life (unless you're driving an Army Deuce and a half truck)

last edited on July 14, 2011 11:33AM
SpANG at 9:44AM, May 27, 2008
(online)
There are still plenty of people that want to take advantage in NYC (or any large metropolitan city, for that matter- and not just the U.S.). Even though violent street crimes may be down, there are also con-men, pickpockets, people begging for change, etc.

1. Travel with one or more people. Safety and security in numbers.

2. Put your wallet in your FRONT POCKET. Keep your hand on it as much as possible too.

3. Stick to public streets, where there are a lot of people.

4. If you feel like you are being watched and/or targeted, pull out your cell phone and start talking on it. The fact that someone is on the other side of that conversation that can hear everything works in your favor.

5. Don't eat anything from the hot dog vendors. Actually, don't eat from any place that can be wheeled away.

“To a rational mind, nothing is inexplicable. Only unexplained.”
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:53PM
crazyninny at 1:49PM, May 27, 2008
(online)
I've never been there, but I heard that its a bad idea to eat any gum you find on the ground.

Also, hand sanitizer will be your friend.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:49AM
Vogel at 11:08AM, May 28, 2008
(offline)
seas.

thanks for the answers!

i currently live in vienna(austria, europe) and this place is rather a multicultural place and i'm as bold as to claim that i can handle city streets
(thinking of all the eastern european robbery gangs and 12-30 year olds trying to rob you in the metro system >_>).. i'll let you know if i survived unscathed,

cu vogel
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:42PM
lastcall at 3:37AM, May 30, 2008
(offline)
Ya gotta go to at least one Broadway show while you're there. They're so much fun.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:28PM
korosu at 1:47PM, June 2, 2008
(online)
SpANG
5. Don't eat anything from the hot dog vendors. Actually, don't eat from any place that can be wheeled away.
I second that. One of things on my “to-do” list when I went to NYC was to get a hot dog from a street vendor, so I had a bite from someone else's…and it was nasty! (Of course…I'm willing to bet they're not very sanitary, also.) The pretzels are quite disgusting, also. One of the concession stands on the ferries going to Liberty Island actually had one of the best soft pretzels I had ever tasted, but the lady selling them was quite irritable, though. Just an FYI. ;) And ditto to what lastcall said, too; if you don't do anything else, go see a Broadway show.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:21PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved