Comic Talk, Tips and Tricks

need some help
mangabiz at 7:13AM, Oct. 14, 2010
(offline)
I want to do some comics but every time i start i get fustrated that it dosn't
look so well i try to draw as much as i can any advice my style is manga/american
and really want to get better im also selif thauht learnd from books.
Adrian Gonzalez
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:51PM
Genejoke at 8:57AM, Oct. 14, 2010
(online)
There is one sure way of getting better at drawing, doing it. Sure you can learn bits here and there from books and tutorials and studying others art and especially drawing real life, but the real improvement comes from doing. I know that doesn't sound helpful, I guess it isn't by itself.
So I recommend posting some of your art and getting feedback, or trying to do a short story or two. Whatever you do finish doing it then move on to the next one. Constantly giving up before it is finished leads to a lot of unfinished comics.
I had a similar problem when I started doing comics earlier this year, I eventually just took the plunge and the rest is on this site but I am not here to plug my work so back to the question at hand.

What do you think is wrong with what your attempts? Remember we are often are own worst critics.

What do you use to make your comics? traditional media, digital etc.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:33PM
demontales at 9:07AM, Oct. 14, 2010
(online)
I second everything that Genejoke just said. Also, try to see making a comic an opportunity to practice and improve, not a way to do a masterpiece. Comics are harder than they seem, it pushes the artist to draw lots of situations/poses/compositions that he or she is not comfotable doing.

Try to spot one or two things you have a lot more difficulty, and try to improve these things. And when you're good with them, move on to other things. If you look at your work thinking everything is wrong and getting frustrated, it won't lead anywhere. If you still get frustrated, try putting your drawings away for some days/weeks and look at them later. You might see that they're not so bad, or maybe you will see what exactly you did wrong.

If you have trouble with poses/anatomy/facial expressions, a mirror will be your dear friend. Or a camera to take pictures of what you need to draw if it's too hard to do with a mirror. I don't know why, but it seems that pictures we take ourselves are better than references taken elsewhere. But the internet is still a good place to find all kinds references.

If you have problems with backgrounds, try to learn perspective basics. It can take time and space to do a drawing with all the perspective rules, but it's often worth it. Or if you have a 3D software you can recreate the environnements, set a camera, and redraw.

Other than that, the same stuff everyone will tell you: practice! and don't be too hard on yourself
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:10PM
mangabiz at 11:09AM, Oct. 14, 2010
(offline)
you are all rigth people that know me think im a bit of a perfectionist i guess i can get a littile out of hand i find that when you draw when you fill like helps best the way im learning rigth now is just threw book media ect. i find that youtube helps out alot for video tutorials.
Adrian Gonzalez
mangabiz at 11:10AM, Oct. 14, 2010
(offline)
fill free to add me and ill help with criqts
Adrian Gonzalez
Darth Mongoose at 1:16PM, Oct. 18, 2010
(online)
Nobody starts out perfect. It takes years of practice to get good at drawing, and comics are particularly hard. I'm friends with plenty of really good pro artists who say comics are too difficult! A comic requires you to draw a number of people, creatures, objects and locations in different states and positions and from different angles in a consistent style, and a typical page is for most people a number of hours' work (most I know take about 6 hours). That's no mean feat!
But, because comics force you to draw lots of things in order to tell the story, and labour-intensive amounts of drawing (a typical page is between 4 and 9 panels for most people, and that means that you're doing about 6 times as much drawing as somebody who just produces pinups!) they're one of the best ways to improve your artwork.

Don't worry if your early attempts don't look amazing. Having fun is the most important thing. Even if you're good enough to be a pro artist, you can't be a pro if you don't enjoy drawing. Most pros I know started out drawing just as a hobby because they really enjoy it, and got good because they drew a lot because they enjoy it, and then people started giving them money for it!
Keep practising, and ask people for advice on technique and stuff. There are tonnes of good tutorials online now too! ^_^
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:08PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved