Comic Talk, Tips and Tricks

Need some help with panel layout for action scenes, more or less.
Hyena H_ll at 8:51PM, March 2, 2009
(online)
Maybe this belongs in the Comic Discussion forum, since I'm askin' for recommendations. But I reckon it can be moved it needs to, with my appologies in advance. ;)

Okay, here's the deal:
I need to draw up a 3-4 page fight scene, right? Now, usually if I were doing this, I'd use more dynamic panel designs/ page layouts to help with the flow of the action. But seein' as my current comic has a pretty rigid format, I don't want to break it just for a few pages. I feel like I can't start working on this chapter until I get this particular scene laid out just right, in case I need to make it longer/shorter, whatever.

So here's what I'd like help with: I'd love it if any of y'all could recommend me some good action comics that use square/rectangular panels, and have a pretty traditional page layout. I tend to limit myself to about 6-8 panels/ page, so somethin' like that would be best. Any style or genre is fine, but they kinda need to be online, since I don't have the cash to invest in comics or graphic novels right now. Feel free to recommend your own comics, if they fit the bill. :)

Thanks!
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:52PM
lba at 8:45AM, March 3, 2009
(online)
The only one that comes to mind that keeps it close to maintaining their standard format when there's a fight scene is Dr. Mcninja. But they still mix up the panels to give it more energy. They just keep in in varying sizes of about the same width to height ratio.

You might try looking at mlai's comic “fight”. It's pretty much all about fight scenes, so there's gotta be at least one or two pages you might look at.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:29PM
FlyingMonkey at 7:40AM, March 4, 2009
(offline)
No matter what style your comic is in, I find that this tut is very useful.

http://www.drunkduck.com/tutorials/view.php?id=195

Hope this helps, FM
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:30PM
NickGuy at 12:08PM, March 4, 2009
(online)
Hyena H_ll
Maybe this belongs in the Comic Discussion forum, since I'm askin' for recommendations. But I reckon it can be moved it needs to, with my appologies in advance. ;)

Okay, here's the deal:
I need to draw up a 3-4 page fight scene, right? Now, usually if I were doing this, I'd use more dynamic panel designs/ page layouts to help with the flow of the action. But seein' as my current comic has a pretty rigid format, I don't want to break it just for a few pages. I feel like I can't start working on this chapter until I get this particular scene laid out just right, in case I need to make it longer/shorter, whatever.

So here's what I'd like help with: I'd love it if any of y'all could recommend me some good action comics that use square/rectangular panels, and have a pretty traditional page layout. I tend to limit myself to about 6-8 panels/ page, so somethin' like that would be best. Any style or genre is fine, but they kinda need to be online, since I don't have the cash to invest in comics or graphic novels right now. Feel free to recommend your own comics, if they fit the bill. :)

Thanks!

For what you are trying to do, Id recommend looking at some old Kirby stuff.

“Kung Fu Komix IS…hardcore martial art action all the way. 8/10” -Harkovast
“Kung Fu Komix is that rare comic that is made with heart and love of the medium, and it delivers” -Zenstrive
“Kung Fu Komix is…so awesome” -threeeyeswurm
“Kung Fu Komix is..told with all the stupid exuberance of the genre it parodies” -The Real Macabre
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:15PM
Aurora Borealis at 6:50PM, March 4, 2009
(online)
There are some tips at the Arsenic Lullabies siteon this techniques and secrets page. Couple of interesting things about the flow of action put into a very rigid panel grid. Not sure if it'll be of any help but maybe it could give you some ideas.

last edited on July 14, 2011 11:08AM
Hyena H_ll at 7:24PM, March 4, 2009
(online)
Aurora Borealis
There are some tips at the Arsenic Lullabies siteon this techniques and secrets page. Couple of interesting things about the flow of action put into a very rigid panel grid. Not sure if it'll be of any help but maybe it could give you some ideas.
HOLY CRAP! I forgot all about that comic- I haven't seen it in years! I need to go diggin' through my comic boxes again, it seems. Thanks, man! The tips were really good, too. :D

ozoneocean at 8:52PM, March 4, 2009
(online)
I had a look at that Arsenic Lullabies site and it seems to me they try and make the art of comic creation sound a little like a science.
There is no science to it. It's just some accepted conventions amd traditions.

I'm a super novice when it comes to comic making with not much background in reading comics, but I've been doing my own comic stuff for a few years now and in that time it's gotten quite popular. I've never looked into guides on how to do this and that and no one has ever come and said to me anything about doing anything wrong. The only bad comments I've gotten are about lazy figure drawing (and I own up that I deserve that).

Basically I just work instictively and go with what feels right. The convetion I follow is left to right and down the page -standard. I'm sure that's what the old timers did too :)

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:33PM
Hyena H_ll at 6:14AM, March 5, 2009
(online)
@ ozoneocean:
Yeah, I think it interests me on a more formal level- I don't do that kinda stuff in my own comic, but those kind of “directional” elements are something I use a lot in my prints, to move the viewers' eyes around the page. With the sequential stuff (at least with my current skill level) there's so many other elements that I think is way more important. Still, it's a neat page. (And an awesome comic, IMHO.)
kyupol at 3:31PM, March 5, 2009
(online)
Some DD Comics (that I'm aware of) that have nice (or at least decent looking) action scenes
- Fight
- Villain Next Door
- Edepth Angel
- Kuro Shouri
- Devon Legacy
- Rival Angels
- Vampire Phantasm
- Cwens Quest

And plugging my own stuff:
Sample 1 (MAG-ISA)

Sample 2 (BK Shattered Hate)

Sample 3 (BK Shadow Nemesis)
NOW UPDATING!!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:26PM
Aurora Borealis at 10:54AM, March 6, 2009
(online)
ozoneocean
I had a look at that Arsenic Lullabies site and it seems to me they try and make the art of comic creation sound a little like a science.
There is no science to it. It's just some accepted conventions amd traditions.
Oh, but there is some science involved.Except some people approach it intuitively and get it right, while others have to analyze it to figure out what works and what doesn't. Arsenic Lullabies operates in a fairly strict format of “punchline at the end of the page” so anything that helps direct the eye and stop the reader form taking a peek to the bottom too early is going to be helpful.

I'm a super novice when it comes to comic making with not much background in reading comics, but I've been doing my own comic stuff for a few years now and in that time it's gotten quite popular. I've never looked into guides on how to do this and that and no one has ever come and said to me anything about doing anything wrong. The only bad comments I've gotten are about lazy figure drawing (and I own up that I deserve that).

Basically I just work instictively and go with what feels right. The convetion I follow is left to right and down the page -standard. I'm sure that's what the old timers did too :)

I'm a super novice and I mostly work intuitively too, but I like to know why something worked or didn't work, so if I have a chance to update my knowledge, I'll do so. For example I recently read some large analysis on what order people look at panels and how it varies from person to person and depending on their age, gender, preferred reading material and age when they started reading comics. Have I learnt anything new? Not really, most of the text operated in statistic related terms that I didn't really get… but the parts that I did get confirmed some of my own observations and clarified some other things.

Also, people mostly complain about the way I draw faces.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:08AM
patrickdevine at 8:55PM, March 7, 2009
(online)
Would it have to be a web comic? I think you might get some good layout ideas for the first few Too Much Coffee Man graphic novels. For the most part Shannon Wheeler uses pretty traditional layouts but he gets really creative with them. Now that I think of it Zebra Girl might be worth checking out for the same reason:
http://zebragirl.keenspot.com/
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:41PM
slackmaster at 7:01AM, March 27, 2009
(offline)

what i do wane i make a action sceen is i draw alote of diffrant angils wane i draw tham. downt know if thats any help or not.

i suck at spelling. if any inking invise please late me know.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:48PM
Hyena H_ll at 5:46PM, March 27, 2009
(online)
Heh. Blech. I'm drawin' them now. I think I did about 50 different lay-out pages, and drew the same punch like, twenty times. Grrrr. Ah well- what don't kill ya makes ya draw better, right? ;)
slackmaster at 8:17PM, March 27, 2009
(offline)

thats how i larnd how to draw hands. i think i wail read your book.
cheack owt my book. its not up yet BUT its calld x-track so keep in eye owt for it.

slackmaster at 8:22PM, March 27, 2009
(offline)

ok i wail read it affter i find owt how to vew other pepiles comics. it sucks being the new guy.

Pedes at 6:56AM, April 10, 2009
(online)
I hope it's not too late… Fullmetal Alchemist and Blade of the Immortal. Great, dynamic scenes, great panel narration. And they've got 98% of rectangular panels. You can find some chapters online.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:41PM
Hyena H_ll at 2:41PM, April 11, 2009
(online)
Aws. I did already draw ‘em, Pedes. But I’ll check out your recs for future reference!

I oughta post the finished pencils so I can get some feedback, though. Hm.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved