Comic Talk and General Discussion *

NERDS!
Armagedon at 1:25AM, Feb. 24, 2011
(online)
ozoneocean
Armagedon
So, I guess my answer is, yes, nerds still exist. They are just the people pushing the boundaries even further. It's just the medium changes.
We don't consider those people to be “nerds” now. Perspectives have shifted and the general public understands and values the need for science more than they used to. They're rightly respected as clever people.
-though I would be VERY pleased if people grew up a bit more about people who go to business school: no, an MBA doesn't indicate that a person is clever, no matter where they got it. Scientists are clever, business people just make money.

I completely agree, but the medium of what could be considered a nerd could also change depending on where the outsource of new ideas are coming from.

However, upon doing some research(ok… 5 minutes on google to find the “definition” of nerd isn't really research lol), it could also be said that a nerd can still be found in the technological medium.

According to Wikipedia (the great place that stuff could NEVER be false ROFL), nerds tend to lack that of a social interest and replace the need for a physical trait for that of an intellectual one.

If that is still the case, which I think it is, then nerds would still exist based on the criteria alone. Though it has become diluted, because many more have started to embrace their inner nerd.

Or I could be totally wrong… which is also likely lol.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:02AM
blindsk at 1:49AM, Feb. 24, 2011
(online)
ozoneocean
This is very much were I'm coming from here: Star Wars was ALWAYS a major pop-culture phenomenon. …not a nerdy subculture thing.
The Kessel run stuff is part of another pop-culture construction about the stereotype of an “ideal” nerd, not actually nerdy info, since it's so widely accessible.

Yeah! I definitely meant that ironically. Though most people that defend that statement aren't actually called nerds, but instead are referred to as “fanboys.”

And you're right, I feel like one attribute we can assign to the contemporary nerd is the draw towards obscurity. Have you noticed that the people often labeled as nerds by others are those that find interest in relatively unknown media or otherwise? And then once that particular show/comic/whatever becomes mainstream, they lose interest.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:25AM
Sayomi at 5:07AM, Feb. 24, 2011
(offline)
urgh. Someone called me a boy and a nerd for doing webcomics and liking doctor who.
but you can get cool nerds, like me!
and dorky nerds, just overly clever and dorky-looking. cool nerds look good, make an effort with their work, and they can like whatever they want, it doesn't make me a boy nerd!
anyone can do things they enjoy, and webcomics are one of my things.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:24PM
Abt_Nihil at 4:40PM, Feb. 24, 2011
(offline)
Sayomi
urgh. Someone called me a boy and a nerd for doing webcomics and liking doctor who.
but you can get cool nerds, like me!
and dorky nerds, just overly clever and dorky-looking. cool nerds look good, make an effort with their work, and they can like whatever they want, it doesn't make me a boy nerd!
anyone can do things they enjoy, and webcomics are one of my things.
You're posting a lot, and creating thousands of new forum threads, but many times, you're sounding wise beyond your years. ^_^

But to stay on topic: There are nerds I love for being nerds, and nerds I loathe for being nerds. A few years ago I went to a “comic regulars' table” (this is obviously a literal translation of what this gathering of comic book nerds was called in German). It was basically twenty to thirty comic book enthusiasts from all over town gathering in a separate room at a bar. I heard about it, and back then I had never met other people who were similarly enthusiastic about comic books, much less some who were writing/drawing some themselves! So, I got over my anti-social self and went there… twice, I think. But I didn't connect with a single person in the whole room. It was just crowded and awkward. I vividly remember sitting next to a guy who told me about his favorite Wolverine moments. And he just wouldn't stop. I couldn't care less about Wolverine back then, and I didn't want to spend a whole evening in a crowded room with some guy chewing my ear off about stuff I didn't care about. He didn't look too tidy, either. Anyway. I don't like that sort of nerds.
But I love some of the nerds around here. Even those that won't shut up about Wolverine :p
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:44AM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon