Debate and Discussion

Net Neutrality vs A Teired Internet
gigatwo at 10:50PM, May 5, 2006
(online)
So basically here's the jist of the issue. Internet service providers like Comcast, verison and AT&T want to set up an internet broken up into different teirs of service. Basically, website hosts pay more money for more bandwith and such (gold membership kind of thing) and hosts that pay less get the raw end of the deal (low bandwith, leads too slow connection speeds). This of course, allows larger companies to have faster connections and provide service/ recieve forms and such at a faster pace on their site satisfying visitors with easily accessable and time saving connections to that particular server. Now, on the other hand small buisnesses, and things of that sort may only be able to pay for the lower teirs of service, making accessing their site more of a chore with longer dl rates and a higher probablility of downtime (correct that statement if it is false). This takes a the playing feild leans it towards the side of the larger buisnesses, the visitors being pulled to their side due to their desire to save time and and frustration. This may also slow down peer to peer connections.

That's where the idea of net neutrality, or the internet you're experiencing now. Every site has an equal oppurtunity to attract visitors, for the most part. It's where internet providers can't contol a sites bandwith. In an effort to preserve this concept, a democratic led bill was voted put up for voting in congress to keep telephone companies from exersizing total control over their lines. That bill failed. Is that good thing or a bad thing? Well, the issue isn't exactly one sided. I have my opinions on the issue, and while I may and/or may not have blatently given them away in this post, I don't feel like stating them. You decide for yourself.

Net neutrality
http://savetheinternet.com/

Elimination of government restrictions
http://www.handsofftheinternet.com/

These are both exceedingly biased sites, so have fun.

-I apologize for any spelling/grammatical errors. It's 1:55 am.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:35PM
Ronson at 11:34PM, May 5, 2006
(online)
If the internet goes to a tiered system, I'll probably quit the intenet. It would undoubtably make the internet a worthless service for me.

Right now, the internet is five things for me:

1. A way to spend some free time jumping from articles to comics to forums to chat rooms.
2. A way to keep in contact with family and friends across the world.
3. A way to get my comic read by a wide audience.
4. A way to sell my print comic to a wide audience.
5. News, weather, research.

How many of these would be affected by a tiered system? All of them. If I only wanted to get information through corporate media, I'd just watch network news.

It would kill my comic readership and my book selling.

_________

The other thing is that no matter how you look at this, the only reason to do it is to make more money to the ISPs. Not help them cover costs, but to increase their profits.

Does the destruction of the internet justify the extra profits for ISPs? I don't think so.

________

Now, if I were conspiratorial, I'd also look at this in the long run. I'm sure I'm not the only one who would abandon the internet if this happened. And if we did stop buying from the internet, who gains?

Big business. A corporation that has the reach into every town will win over a small mom n' pop internet store that stops getting traffic.

Media. Perhaps the only benefit that makes sense is that piracy might be greatly reduced if the download time becomes prohibitively time consuming.

Political leaders. Without the freedom to get the message across the world in an instant, dictators and domineering political leaders can tighten their hold over their populace (think about how tightly China is being controlled - a tiered internet would do this automatically). Look at how Stephen Colbert's savage satire burned up the internet while the mainstream media buried it (until the internet buzz became too loud) because it made them look bad.

Who loses? Small businesses, and the individual.
_________

Who created the internet? We did. With billions upon billions of dollars of tax money, our governments built this system and opened it up to the public. If tiered internet happens, we'll be giving one of the most powerful tools away from the public.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:10PM
ozoneocean at 6:21AM, May 6, 2006
(online)
I agree with Ronson. It's about pure, unmitigated, unprincipled greed, and creating monopolies… It's a plan to destroy the internet -to put it dramatically. It would be like road building and bridge building companies taking over every single road and charging tolls for different routes! Doing that they would control us all and have a ridiculous amount of unfair power.

Government control (of roads) is safer and fairer. For example, it means road freighting companies, no matter what their size, can make a good business for themselves if they're clever. Privatising control over all terrestrial routes would mean that a large few would easily be able to crush all opposition (because of what they're able to afford and therefore offer their customers).

Google, Yahoo, MSN etc are against this internet plan because it will cut into their profits, but it would ultimately enable them to increase control even more. If the telecommunications companies don't think they're making what they should out of the internet, they can get out while they're ahead and sell up. Others will be happy to take their place.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:23PM
elogotar at 6:29AM, May 6, 2006
(offline)
Not to sound like a broken record, but I also agree. I mean, the great thing about the internet is everything is equal. Anyone with some time and an idea can have a little chunk of it and people WILL see it. All you have to do is drop a couple of links and it happens. Speed and access are pretty much determined by the person using the net. If big buisness gets control of the net (and they probably will) it's just going to turn into nothing but an advertising nightmare, instead of just mostly an advertising nightmare.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:21PM
Hawk at 12:30PM, May 6, 2006
(online)
Let's just hold out for Internet 2 and hope nobody greedy messes with it.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:45PM
spaz201 at 7:18PM, May 6, 2006
(offline)
You know.. I'm in agreement with the Free Internet here, I don't like Teiered Net becuase, just the idea is so dictartorish and destructive to individuals its surprising that the bill to protect free internet would even fail to get passed. But then again were talking about something big bussiness wants and BB has a way of getting what it wants.

I actually think that if they passed Teired intertnet you'd be able to find me in a protest ralley, something I never thought I'd do.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:53PM
Hawk at 2:34AM, May 7, 2006
(online)
It's REALLY easy for us to advocate the free internet. But I just seriously want to know… are there any good things about the tiered internet? I can't even imagine any.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:45PM
gigatwo at 6:39PM, May 7, 2006
(online)
Heh, I don't think there are, but I figured someone might be stupid enough to defend it.

Ima browse the internet to see if there are any logical explanations for a teired interweb. Hopefully I'll still be able to do that in a couple of months.
ozoneocean at 5:15PM, May 8, 2006
(online)
The only “good” things in favour of the idea are more money to the shreholders of the communications companies and a nice little stifling bottelneck on technolgical advances to do with the web. That should help keep costs down and proffits up.

Here's a nice little youtube video that explains one of the main factors behind the usage and growth of the internet, in musical form. :-D
Warning: NSFW

ccs1989 at 6:02PM, May 8, 2006
(online)
Wow. They could ruin the internet…scary. :(
http://ccs1989.deviantart.com

“If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.”
-Henry David Thoreau, Walden
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:37AM
gigatwo at 6:33PM, May 8, 2006
(online)
Yes they could (I mean can), since the whole net neutrality bill didn't pass.
Ronson at 6:51PM, May 8, 2006
(online)
ozoneocean
Here's a nice little youtube video that explains one of the main factors behind the usage and growth of the internet, in musical form. :-D
Warning: NSFW

If anyone here ever gets to see the Broadway play that this song came from, you won't be disappointed. Martha and I saw it a few months ago and thought it was great!
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:10PM
ozoneocean at 2:50AM, May 9, 2006
(online)
That looks like a brilliant play!

ccs1989 at 9:33AM, July 4, 2006
(online)
“Oh God, my little guy's getting f****** up the ass.”
-Some Comedian on Comedy Central

“If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.”
ccs1989 at 8:29PM, July 16, 2006
(online)
Ah yes, tubes. What a great way to explain the internet. I wonder if Stevens knows what ‘bandwidth’ is?

Ian Jay at 8:35PM, July 16, 2006
(offline)
Tater Salad
This scares me….

Also, CCS, that was David Spade on roaming charges on the Showbiz Show.

Jeezus. You'd think someone in the Senate would have the common sense to listen to Ted Stevens and say, "Oh my God! This guy doesn't know what's coming out of his own mouth!"

Still, funny clip. Serious subject, but funny clip.

~IJ
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:56PM
SpANG at 12:41PM, July 19, 2006
(online)
It's not a big truck, it's a series of tubes! (remix) :P

.: SpANG! :.
“To a rational mind, nothing is inexplicable. Only unexplained.”
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:51PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved