Debate and Discussion

New Duck webdesign
telruya at 7:12AM, Feb. 7, 2008
(online)
Don't like It, I mean it's not like I can even pick out one specific thing to say “Change that and it'd be okay” I just think this all round terrible espically the members menu thing The kind of thing that'll make me quit, what does everyone else think?

last edited on July 14, 2011 4:08PM
Dockworker at 8:15AM, Feb. 7, 2008
(offline)
There's nothing wrong with the new style, as far as I'm concerned. You're really thinking about quitting because they changed the layout and color scheme? Give yourself a little time to get used to it, I bet it grows on you, or at least after a while you won't care anymore.

I like the thumbnails being used for the comics on the front page as opposed to the previous list format. I have mixed feelings about the new look of the featured comics area, the scrolling window that they used to have was cool looking, but this one's easier to view all of them at once. I'm a big fan of the Random comics section, just another way drunk duck has come up with to help out the unknowns.
“Denim Is the new Spandex” The Denim Avenger! Check out our new website: Crash'n'Klein comics!
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:12PM
mlai at 9:57AM, Feb. 7, 2008
(online)
Do not lock this topic. The last one shouldn't have been locked either. This is the place to voice more of an “uncensored” opinion regarding this matter.

I like the new thumbnails format in general. Now it is 100x more likely to discover unknown comics. I find I'm already spending more time on the front page. This also makes the Recently Updated column matter, as opposed to not.

However, the white/light-gray color scheme is still bad, as well as the lack of borders and the clutter of ads from all 4 sides. It's like you're under siege and ads are scaling the city walls. But Volte's gonna work on it some more today.

Edit: And there's no reason why the forum text should be so damn small.

FIGHT current chapter: Filling In The Gaps
FIGHT_2 current chapter: Light Years of Gold
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:06PM
Hawk at 10:16AM, Feb. 7, 2008
(online)
You slipped in just in time, Mlai. I was actually considering locking this. But you know what? Let's see where this goes. I do worry about what you mean by “uncensored” though. I certainly don't feel like this discussion should be “anything goes”.

I'll keep an eye on this thread. I totally don't mind if an intellectual and mature discussion about the layout happens.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:46PM
SpANG at 10:55AM, Feb. 7, 2008
(online)
mlai
Do not lock this topic. The last one shouldn't have been locked either. This is the place to voice more of an “uncensored” opinion regarding this matter.
That's all well and good. But please don't go thinking we are locking threads up to “censor” people. We simply don't need several threads saying the exact same thing. What's even worse, something may be said somewhere that is overlooked. The mods are just trying to make sure that all concerns are funnelled to one area, God bless 'em.
“To a rational mind, nothing is inexplicable. Only unexplained.”
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:53PM
StaceyMontgomery at 11:34AM, Feb. 7, 2008
(offline)
It seems to me that updating my webcomic takes longer with the new design. Perhaps It is my imagination, but everything seems slower now.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:55PM
OutofLine at 12:48PM, Feb. 7, 2008
(offline)
The new layout certainly looks more… Platinum-ish?
It'll definately take some getting used to but it's not bad.
I've seen (and made!) much, much worse. :)

Although it's annoying to have to click on the blue arrow on the side to reveal options when you're used to having the options being readily available on the old layout.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:23PM
crazyninny at 1:39PM, Feb. 7, 2008
(online)
I think it still needs some changes, along with the other layouts around the site that haven't been changed yet.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:49AM
Product Placement at 2:04PM, Feb. 7, 2008
(online)
I already posted my opinion before elsewhere but my biggest quarrels are the new overly bright color scheme, the cluttered front page and the collapsing feature always collapsing again.

I liked to see the features taking smaller space again and being rotated like it was before.

I liked the original color scheme and I feel like this one makes me squint more. Also having the forum text smaller by default isn't helping. I'm not saying that no other color scheme will do but….. less white… Yes… Less white.

I have nothing against the collapses but would like to have the option to set it so I don't have to re-open them every time I re-visit the site.
Those were my two cents.
If you have any other questions, please deposit a quarter.
This space for rent.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:49PM
Mystic Hand at 2:06PM, Feb. 7, 2008
(online)
Hawk
You slipped in just in time, Mlai. I was actually considering locking this. But you know what? Let's see where this goes. I do worry about what you mean by “uncensored” though. I certainly don't feel like this discussion should be “anything goes”.

This is the first place I found a thread like this, just as I was about to give up too (the new DD design hurts my eyes too much to spend any more time here than I must).

The new DD layout looks like a default Windows ‘98 monstrosity that shows up when there’s something seriously wrong with your system. The first few times I came by DD I thought the site was having problems so I just left again.

This is a seriously poor aesthetic, especially for a site based around a visual medium like comics.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:09PM
Altimas at 3:11PM, Feb. 7, 2008
(offline)
I myself in all heart, mind, and soul…completely HATE…I mean HATE the new DrunkDuck look! I mean, we weren't even given a warning for the change or nothing! In fact, I saw that Volte6 just announced the new design only hours before he changed it. I mean, we should've had a vote or something. But why do we even bother? Volte is gonna keep his design whether or not people like it…*sigh*
Life and Death are words but, do they really have any meaning…
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:49AM
Scorchgofer at 3:36PM, Feb. 7, 2008
(offline)
It's… Interesting. All I can really say about it. It's kinda weird now like DD2.0 was, but I'll give it a bit of time.

I like the new tab thing.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:24PM
kyupol at 3:58PM, Feb. 7, 2008
(online)
I just think the forum text should be slightly larger. as well as the forum header text.

(» View Categories » Debate and Discussion » New Duck webdesign » Reply )
(Emotes )

The header text should be yellow or white.
NOW UPDATING!!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:25PM
zaneeba_slave at 4:22PM, Feb. 7, 2008
(online)
it isnt user friendly enough, in my oppinion.

I have a flippin' slow computer and it takes things forever to load stuff.

I really like the speech bubbles that pop up and show off the short definitions of your comics and the colored avatars.

If anything, just change the My comic tab back to normal. It takes too long to load ma comcs.
I like to imagine myself as a goblin in a tuxedo. -Zaneeba_slave
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:54PM
telruya at 7:21AM, Feb. 8, 2008
(online)
*Has looked properly and decided on comments*

1. Featured Web comics: The previous version had a small box with a thumbnail and the description which would change every so often unless you selected one this presented allot of information in a clever way without taking up to much space, the currant one is just thumbnails stuck under a banner which isn't as impressive or interesting as the first one.

2. The pop up description doesn't work I had my cursor over Charby the vampirates thumbnail and it popped up 3 minutes later with a description of a comic called weirdlings so I shook the mouse a little and tried again but this time nothing came up hence doesn't work.

3. The colour scheme is really bad but given that their isn't one I find it hard to talk of what could be improved, however when I first came on to duck and saw the changes I fell out of my seat I thought someone had hacked into the site wasn't long before I realised it wasn't the work of a hacker.

4. The tool bar isn't supposed to be as complicated as it is, the folding in and out has to go I Not nor do I think people would be bothered by the new menu options but the old one had two different colours in the background to clearly identify which information belonged to which name You didn't always need but it stopped confusion nor should Favorites and mycomics be separated as they are.

5. The top 10 Stories and Strips have gone which removes competition between people it even kills a reason to continue making comics I can't imagine why they're gone.

6. The thing isn't even finished, underneath the tool bar their are two square empty boxes I have no idea what they're for.

Their are a few other problems but I'll let him come up with answers, solutions or a defence I don't know I've voiced my questions I just wonder what the answers are.
~thank you.

last edited on July 14, 2011 4:08PM
Dockworker at 8:43AM, Feb. 8, 2008
(offline)
telruya
1. Featured Web comics: The previous version had a small box with a thumbnail and the description which would change every so often unless you selected one this presented allot of information in a clever way without taking up to much space, the currant one is just thumbnails stuck under a banner which isn't as impressive or interesting as the first one.

I agree, it has lost a little of the pinache that it once held. This new version is much simpler, which can be good, although maybe this virtue isn't redeeming enough.

telruya
2. The pop up description doesn't work I had my cursor over Charby the vampirates thumbnail and it popped up 3 minutes later with a description of a comic called weirdlings so I shook the mouse a little and tried again but this time nothing came up hence doesn't work.

Seems to work fine for me, I did have a little trouble at one point, but then I just clicked off in the white area, and it was poppin' like a charm.

telruya
5. The top 10 Stories and Strips have gone which removes competition between people it even kills a reason to continue making comics I can't imagine why they're gone.

They're not gone, the first two columns of thumbnails entitled “Ten Spot” are the top ten strips/stories. [And even if it were gone, couldn't you continue just for the joy of making comics? (a little off topic, sorry)]

telruya
6. The thing isn't even finished, underneath the tool bar their are two square empty boxes I have no idea what they're for.

I actually don't see what you're talking about here. Do you mean the MyComicNews toolbar? because the only two boxes I see are filled with ads.

Altimas
But why do we even bother? Volte is gonna keep his design whether or not people like it…*sigh*

I don't know about that, he didn't seem like the Cruel dictator type at wizard's world philly. If the dissenters make themselves heard, he'd probably revise it a tad. Not that I'm trying to rally anything, personally I don't really mind the new layout.
“Denim Is the new Spandex” The Denim Avenger! Check out our new website: Crash'n'Klein comics!
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:12PM
Kamikazi productions at 10:14AM, Feb. 8, 2008
(offline)
I don't like the new design.
The new ad placement is phenominally slow for me and is stupid…
It's eye-raping…
and sprite comics, especially good ones like LowResAtari has, still don't get featured…
It sucks now and it sucked when Voltez sold out…

Goodnight.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:13PM
Walrus at 3:01PM, Feb. 9, 2008
(online)
telruya
Don't like It, I mean it's not like I can even pick out one specific thing to say “Change that and it'd be okay” I just think this all round terrible espically the members menu thing The kind of thing that'll make me quit, what does everyone else think?

Actually, I like it better. It's easier to search for comics and I can find out about a comic before I click on it. I also like the Quail's random, it sometimes has some new, good comics. The only problem I have is that the admins are just too lazy to fix the bugs and would rather redisign DD than fix it.

last edited on July 14, 2011 4:45PM
rmmanuel at 9:53PM, Feb. 11, 2008
(offline)
I find it irritating, but I don't care that much…..ooo, could we draw a page setup that we think would be better?

That'd be keen :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:08PM
HalJones at 1:40PM, Feb. 12, 2008
(online)
“telruya” Said:

last edited on July 14, 2011 12:42PM
HalJones at 1:44PM, Feb. 12, 2008
(online)
“telruya” Said:

Rollovers don't work properly for me, either. And I really miss the latest updated strips because I feel it rewards those who update more frequently with more exposure.

With the new set-up, I've discovered a few new comics I like, but I've also run across some that haven't been updated in awhile.

I suppose I could get used to it, but the rollover issue should be addressed.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:42PM
TheFallen at 2:06AM, Feb. 13, 2008
(offline)
I liked the old design. also, i think that there isnt enough information on the front page anymore. the roll over feature on the front messes up from time to time. also, i like knowing the top 10 for each category by just looking at the sections. i would rather just go to the old set up for that. also, is it just me, or does DD take longer to load now?
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:16PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved