Media Megaforum

New Red Dwarf
Custard Trout at 9:32PM, Oct. 15, 2009
(offline)
So after the success of the three part special Back to Earth on Dave, they've decided to commission another series.

And the only response I have is ‘why?’

Why is there going to be a new series? Why hasn't anyone realised that it just stopped being funny after Rob Grant left the writing team? Why hasn't Doug Naylor ever done anything other than Red Dwarf?

Just. . . just fucking stop. Red Dwarf died a long time ago, and it was already dragged around like a horrifying puppet. Now it's going to be dug up again and paraded around, terrifying children and everyone else with it's unconvincing attempt at imitating a series that hasn't become rotten beyond all recognition, the majority of it's former fans cheering it on, deliberately fooling themselves into believing that the thing dancing grotesquely before them is anything other than a maggot ridden carcass.

So thank you Dave, for destroying all fond memories I had of a series that no longer has any right to exist. Thank you for milking the series that has long been milked past it's ability to provide. Thank you for ensuring that I will never watch your memory raping comedy whore channel ever again.
Hey buddy, you should be a Russian Cosmonaut, and here's why.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:02PM
ozoneocean at 2:44AM, Oct. 16, 2009
(online)
I have to agree. :(

The first series was my fave. I hated when they went back made all that nice flat video look like cheap film. They really made the first two series look like sh!t when they did that. Not to mention ruining the early opening and closing credits with those sh!t digital effects. It was so much better with the models in the original version.

And THEN they replaced all the cool model efx scene in the rest of the series with crap lifeless digital! Red Dwarf is a poster child for why you shouldn't “re-master” things. It was a groovy little comedy, not an art series, don't mess it up! They made Lucas look like Da Vinci

Yep, the later series lost all their comedy and charm. After Barrie left to do Britas Empire and the show took a break, it was never as good. Without Rob Grant the best they could do was recycle the same hyperbole based humour (it's like a really gigantic, massive squid etc.), the exaggerations got painfully tedious.

———————
Interestingly, I was listening to some comedy on BBC7 iplayer the other day and came across a sketch comedy from 1983 or something called “Cliche”. It was really quite good and even fairly clever at times. It was written by Rob Grant and Doug Naylor.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:35PM
DAJB at 7:06AM, Oct. 16, 2009
(online)
Custard Trout
it just stopped being funny after Rob Grant left the writing team
Don't forget Rimmer. Once Chris Barrie left the cast, Lister had no foil. Kochanski was never a real substitute!
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:04PM
ozoneocean at 12:30PM, Oct. 16, 2009
(online)
DAJB
Kochanski was never a real substitute!
She was worse. The “Men Behaving Badly” comedy they did with her worked way better IN “Men Behaving Badly”. And Kryten as a full on camp gay person with a pseudo feminine personality ruined any subtle dynamic that existed with his character.

DAJB at 1:56PM, Oct. 16, 2009
(online)
ozoneocean
And Kryten as a full on camp gay person with a pseudo feminine personality ruined any subtle dynamic that existed with his character.
Ah, Kryten! The true star of the show!
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:04PM
ozoneocean at 3:05AM, Oct. 17, 2009
(online)
That's only because Llewellyn actually really enjoyed doing it and brought a lot of enthusiasm to the role, even in the later episodes, while Jouls, Charles, and Barrie were reduced to tiredly sleepwalking through theirs.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved