Meet, Greet, Show and Sell*

New to this in a few different ways.
oneGemini at 10:33PM, Dec. 13, 2008
(online)
Hello all! Might as well make introductions – just joined up yesterday.

My name is Blair Shedd, and I'm a graduate of the Joe Kubert School of Cartoon and Graphic Art. I formed oneGemini Studios soon after. Since then I’ve worked as the lead concept illustrator for a national-scale event marketing company, storyboard artist for a few independent films, cover artist for a few magazines, interior artist on a few indie and more mainstream print comics (sequentials and pinups), sketch card artist for a few different trading card companies, and a freelance work-for-hire artist for many businesses and private individuals.

I’ve also begun a writing career, placing in the 2006 and 2007 Don and Gee Nicholl Fellowships In Screenwriting, a screenwriting competition sponsored by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences – one time as a quarterfinalist (top 250 out of 5000+) and once as a semifinalist (top 100 out of 4900+). My screenplay was based on the story of my upcoming self-published comic book, Wayward Son. I'm currently working with my contacts in “Hollywood” to bring my story to the big screen (though that's on hold until the comic is out).

I currently reside in New England with my beautiful wife, my awesome son, and cute as a button, factory-new daughter.

I joined up with Drunk Duck to get Wayward Son in front of a few more eyes via a lil' teaser, and to try my hand at proper web-comicing. My first web-only comics will be posted shortly.

That's all for now – if you want to know more, check out my website at oneGemini.com.

Cheers!

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:21PM
Aghammer at 9:58AM, Dec. 14, 2008
(offline)
Hey oneGemini, welcome to the duck! I considered the Joe Kubert school but location and resources kept me from it :) You certainly have excellent qualifications for a comic artist!!… I look forward to checking out your work.

Thanks,
AG
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:47AM
parkbenchbook at 12:07PM, Dec. 14, 2008
(offline)
Welcome. That's quite a resume; I checked out your art here and on the other sites and it's amazing. Also, it's good to have a fellow New Englander here. If you're ever looking for someone to collaborate with, remember it always good to keep it local. :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:38PM
Mushroomcomix at 2:45PM, Dec. 14, 2008
(online)
Welcome, you certainly have a lot of credentials :) I wish I could have gone to that school…but I chose the life of an Anthropologist instead of Artist…oh well. I hope you enjoy it here on the Duck!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:08PM
oneGemini at 4:04PM, Dec. 14, 2008
(online)
Thanks all – sorry I come off like this is a job interview, but over the past couple of years when I've joined sites where I've posted my art, some of the first few things they always say are “you should do work professionally” or “where have you worked professionally?” So, I just post that scripted bit now, just to get all of that out of the way – everyone knows what they might need to know about me if they care, and I can just go ahead and post art, etc. :)
Ironscarfs Ghost at 4:24PM, Dec. 14, 2008
(offline)
OneGemini
Thanks all – sorry I come off like this is a job interview, but over the past couple of years when I've joined sites where I've posted my art, some of the first few things they always say are “you should do work professionally” or “where have you worked professionally?” So, I just post that scripted bit now, just to get all of that out of the way – everyone knows what they might need to know about me if they care, and I can just go ahead and post art, etc.
That's an excellent plan with which I wholly concur OneGemini. Indeed, all my comments have been scripted well in advance with parts left blank to be completed later.

I'm very impressed with your credentials I must say, and your artwork looks impressive. Do enjoy posting yourcomics here and feel free to drop by for a chat at any time: you'll find us a friendly bunch, apart from ******* *****.

Best of British OneGemini, Obama for president!
Er……..boo!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:03PM
CharleyHorse at 4:53PM, Dec. 14, 2008
(offline)
Welcome to DD oneGemini. I hope you enjoy your time here.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:40AM
amanda at 5:15PM, Dec. 14, 2008
(online)
Hey OneGem ^.^ Nice to have you aboard. I've never heard of that school, so clearly it must not exist. (Or it could be that I spend most of my life being pretty uninformed - but still awesome!)

Oh, and you'll be swarmed with those “oh em gee, so professional, you should do it professionally” comments regardless of how often you tell people, haha. I keep a blunt object around in case I need to bludgeon people who ask me that question all the time but… but… *sniff* I've never had to use it before! =p
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:51AM
oneGemini at 5:29PM, Dec. 14, 2008
(online)
amanda
Hey OneGem ^.^ Nice to have you aboard. I've never heard of that school, so clearly it must not exist. (Or it could be that I spend most of my life being pretty uninformed - but still awesome!)

Thanks Amanda! Yeah, it's not super-widely known, but a good bunch of aspiring mainstream comic artists have at least heard of it, though many don't know too much about it.

The wikipedia article is fair enough, and has a rundown of alumni – http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Kubert_School

Ironically enough (or perhaps coincidentally – I dunno, I have a headache), another “comic book school” has opened up less than a half hour from me, though it's less about mainstream comics and illustration, and more about indie/underground comics with a “art for art's sake” approach. So, sort of complimentary to my school – http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Center_for_Cartoon_Studies – Interestingly enough, a old-time alum from my school now teaches there.
Mushroomcomix at 5:38PM, Dec. 14, 2008
(online)
oneGemini
The wikipedia article is fair enough, and has a rundown of alumni – http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Kubert_School

Ironically enough (or perhaps coincidentally – I dunno, I have a headache), another “comic book school” has opened up less than a half hour from me, though it's less about mainstream comics and illustration, and more about indie/underground comics with a “art for art's sake” approach. So, sort of complimentary to my school – http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Center_for_Cartoon_Studies – Interestingly enough, a old-time alum from my school now teaches there.

Thats quite an alumni at the Joe Kubert School :)
CharleyHorse at 7:28PM, Dec. 14, 2008
(offline)
One of our DD old hands, Inkmonkey recently graduated from the Joe Kubert school. He used to do the Elijah and Azuu strip. He's started posting again, doing something entirely different.

Anyway, I would guess that maybe as many as ten percent of our regulars have some degree of formal art training in cartooning itself. It would be interesting to know the statistics on that.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:40AM
oneGemini at 11:47PM, Dec. 15, 2008
(online)
CharleyHorse
One of our DD old hands, Inkmonkey recently graduated from the Joe Kubert school. He used to do the Elijah and Azuu strip. He's started posting again, doing something entirely different.

Anyway, I would guess that maybe as many as ten percent of our regulars have some degree of formal art training in cartooning itself. It would be interesting to know the statistics on that.

Cool – I looked him up already. He of course was way after my time, but still, a Kubie is a Kubie.

I'd be interested to know those stats as well.
Dark Clown at 7:40AM, Dec. 16, 2008
(online)
Welcome, Would You Like A Cold Hot Cola?

This Fluid feels like Pain, This stoic mood is all in vain.
I reach into the dark, I tear this other me apart.
How many years ago, How many deaths I can't let go.
My Flesh Is Temporary, My God Extraordinary.
You… can''t… Kill… My… MIND!!!!!

The War Will continue, Just on a different battle field
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:06PM
The Real Macabre at 9:06PM, Dec. 17, 2008
(offline)
Welcome! It's always neat to have some pros on the site. I look forward to reading your comic!

PS: AWESOME FORUM BANNER.
. .
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:15PM
thoththegrey at 5:04AM, Dec. 18, 2008
(offline)
Welcome. One of the nice things about webcomics is it is a pretty egalitarian media. I think we all have something to learn and something to teach. :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:29PM
oneGemini at 11:05AM, Dec. 18, 2008
(online)
The Real Macabre
Welcome! It's always neat to have some pros on the site. I look forward to reading your comic!

PS: AWESOME FORUM BANNER.

Thanks. The quote is from the original script, though it might not be in future versions, as I'm not sure most people could say it with a straight face.

Makes a nice slogan though. ;)
oneGemini at 4:27PM, Dec. 18, 2008
(online)
Hey… when do I get a “top 1000” trophy? According to my stats, one of my comics is in the top 1000 now.

(Sorry if this is the inappropriate forum for this question, but I felt ‘eh’ about making a thread for the question.)
YukiHana at 5:23PM, Dec. 18, 2008
(offline)
Welcome to DD!!! I hope you enjoy it here!

Wow that is so cool! I'm actually attending the Joe Kubert School now, what a coincidence! It's awesome to meet a graduate n_n That is really awesome that you created your own studio, it's very impressive. I can't wait to read your comics! I should do that now actually…*wanders off to read the comics*

Once again welcome! I hope you enjoy it here! :D
“Criticizing is easy, art is difficult.” -Unknown
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:53PM
oneGemini at 9:45PM, Dec. 18, 2008
(online)
YukiHana
Welcome to DD!!! I hope you enjoy it here!

Wow that is so cool! I'm actually attending the Joe Kubert School now, what a coincidence! It's awesome to meet a graduate n_n That is really awesome that you created your own studio, it's very impressive. I can't wait to read your comics! I should do that now actually…*wanders off to read the comics*

Once again welcome! I hope you enjoy it here! :D

It really isn't that hard – it's not like I became an incorporation or publishing company or anything. I just decided “Blair Shedd” artist didn't have a great ring to it, so I chose a name (funny story that) and added “Studios” after it.

It's pretty much just me, a local dude that helps out with my webpage, eBay, and commission stuff in exchange for art lessons and time on my Wacom, and a gal who stops by to help us with shipping when stuff gets tight. Other than that, it's usually just me sitting here at the computer drawing, or doing sketch cards at my drawing table.

I did have a writer gal who hung out/worked with me just after I became oneGemini Studios, and a year or two after that, another nice local artist gal who hung out and drew, and collaborated, until she headed south to work on some American-manga comic that never materialized.

Anyone can be a studio. :) But no man is an island. 'Cept Paul Simon and Art Garfunkel.
Custard Trout at 12:07AM, Dec. 19, 2008
(offline)
oneGemini
Blair Shedd

Is it just me, or this an awesome name?
Hey buddy, you should be a Russian Cosmonaut, and here's why.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:01PM
oneGemini at 1:47AM, Dec. 19, 2008
(online)
Custard Trout
oneGemini
Blair Shedd

Is it just me, or this an awesome name?

That would be a negatory.
parkbenchbook at 4:53AM, Dec. 19, 2008
(offline)
oneGemini
Hey… when do I get a “top 1000” trophy? According to my stats, one of my comics is in the top 1000 now.

(Sorry if this is the inappropriate forum for this question, but I felt ‘eh’ about making a thread for the question.)

I don't think the trophies are functioning properly. One of mine had a brief moment in the top 1000 sun but it never appeared. You could try to contact an administrator. Hope that helps…
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:38PM
Custard Trout at 4:55AM, Dec. 19, 2008
(offline)
Yeah I just have this weird fascination for names that are also things I like run on sentences and talking about myself do you like run on sentences and talking about me Mr. Shedd?

I'm not going to jump on this ‘greeting you to DrunkDuck’ bandwagon. I'm such a rebel.
Hey buddy, you should be a Russian Cosmonaut, and here's why.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:01PM
Mushroomcomix at 5:55AM, Dec. 19, 2008
(online)
oneGemini

Mine has been in the top 1000 for a while now and I have yet to receive the trophy, I asked an admin and he said the trophy system is broken and will be really delayed if you ever get it at all. Also said that he never got his…
YukiHana at 8:15AM, Dec. 19, 2008
(offline)
oneGemini
It really isn't that hard – it's not like I became an incorporation or publishing company or anything. I just decided “Blair Shedd” artist didn't have a great ring to it, so I chose a name (funny story that) and added “Studios” after it.

It's pretty much just me, a local dude that helps out with my webpage, eBay, and commission stuff in exchange for art lessons and time on my Wacom, and a gal who stops by to help us with shipping when stuff gets tight. Other than that, it's usually just me sitting here at the computer drawing, or doing sketch cards at my drawing table.

I did have a writer gal who hung out/worked with me just after I became oneGemini Studios, and a year or two after that, another nice local artist gal who hung out and drew, and collaborated, until she headed south to work on some American-manga comic that never materialized.

Anyone can be a studio. :) But no man is an island. 'Cept Paul Simon and Art Garfunkel.

Oh ahahaha n_n' Shows my idiocy. But still sounds cool no matter which way you look at it :)
“Criticizing is easy, art is difficult.” -Unknown
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:53PM
oneGemini at 9:05AM, Dec. 19, 2008
(online)
Mushroomcomix
Mine has been in the top 1000 for a while now and I have yet to receive the trophy, I asked an admin and he said the trophy system is broken and will be really delayed if you ever get it at all. Also said that he never got his…

Ah, ok. Wasn't super important or anything – just wasn't sure if I understood how the ranking system worked.
Brogan at 1:58PM, Dec. 19, 2008
(online)
Welcome to the Duck!
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:35AM
oneGemini at 8:28PM, Dec. 19, 2008
(online)
Brogan
Welcome to the Duck!

Thankya Brogan! Love the avatar.

Forgot Password