Media Megaforum

New Transformers TV series
jalford at 2:59AM, May 11, 2007
(online)
A new Transformers animated series, known as Transformers: Animated, will debut on the Cartoon Network this fall, just a couple of months after the appearance of the blockbuster live action Transformers movie debuts over the July 4th weekend (see “Best in Shows 2007, Part 2”). The 26-episode Transformers: Animated will be the first North American designed Transformers series since Transformers: Beast Machines, the CGI series that was produced by Canada's Mainframe Entertainment.

Beast Machines co-writer Marty Isenberg is functioning as the editor/chief writer for the new Transformers: Animated series – something that hardcore Transformers fans will not be too happy about (Isenberg's Beast Machines co-writer Robert Skir once had to cancel a convention appearance due to death threats from irate fans). Matt Youngberg (Teen Titans, The Batman) will be the new series' supervising director while Derrick Wyatt (Teen Titans, Legion of Superheroes) is providing the character designs and Cartoon Network VP Sam Register will produce.

Little is known about the new series except for the fact that it will take place in a future era during which humans and robots both inhabit the Earth. Optimus Prime (supposedly now a fire truck) and Megatron will be featured in the new series, which reportedly features a brand new look for the long-lived Transformers characters.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:06PM
snark at 3:56AM, May 11, 2007
(offline)
Whoa, another series?
Hmm…after crap like Armada and Energon I'm kinda worried about this, but I guess a new series is always cool.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:49PM
kaminari at 4:39AM, May 11, 2007
(online)
jalford
Transformers: Animated

I wonder how many agonizing days it took for them to come up with that brilliant title.

I am FS2 champion! w00t!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:13PM
Neilsama at 5:57AM, May 11, 2007
(online)
snark
Whoa, another series?
Hmm…after crap like Armada and Energon I'm kinda worried about this, but I guess a new series is always cool.
First of all, with the new series being western-produced, you can count on it being nothing like those shows.

I will say one thing, though. And that is that I really wish they would drop all of the gimmicky crap that the Japanese writers have been putting into the show since Headmasters. One of my longest-lasting gripes of the the way the Japanese have bastardized Transformers is the way that they absolutely insist on emphasizing the gimmick of the toy within the context of the show, by having the characters shout “TRANSFORM!” everytime they change. That's REALLY annoying. I used to just sit there wondering to myself, “Why are they doing that?”.

They never did that in the original series. When the robots wanted to transform, they just did it. The only time anyone actually shouted the word was when Prime or Megatron commanded it. Otherwise, it just sounds stupid. It sounds as dumb as if one of them were to have to shout commands for other casual tasks. “WALK FORWARD!” “BEND FINGERS!”

And I also hope that they don't have the transformation stock footage like they would do in Energon and Cybertron. It's so annoying when the whole story has to stop so that Prime can change into SUPER MODE! I HATED cartoons that did that when I was a kid. He-Man was the biggest offender in that regard. They would always stop the story cold just to run that big change sequence, that was nothing more than the same stock footage in every episode.

I'm not going to pretend that the original Transformers series was godly, because it's awful in retrospect. I mean, the animation was terrible. On the other hand, the one thing it always had going for it was that it totally lacked the attitude of being a serialized toy commercial, and I think that's what people remember for. In fact, sometimes, they would just compromise toy accuracy for the sake of story.

For example, the reason Prime's trailer always disappeared was that it was inconvenient to the story to have it around all the time. Only rarely did it ever transform. I have no doubt that if a series was made today of the original toyline, the writers would have that damn trailer transform into the battle station in every single god damn episode.

Anyway, to get back on track here, I hope that having the show produced in the states will restore the approach to writing and characterization that the original series was known for.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:10PM
snark at 7:41AM, May 11, 2007
(offline)
Opps, my bad, forgot that Energon and Armada were japanese produced… =P

Regardless, hopefully the characters will be a little more memorable, so far nothings surpassed G1 Starscream in my book
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:49PM
isukun at 9:54AM, May 11, 2007
(online)
If it's supposed to be based on the live action movie (as the title seems to suggest), then I would assume the robot designs would be similar to those in the movie. And for people hoping this drops the Japanese elements, don't forget this is being produced and directed by people who worked on the Batman, Teen Titans, and Legion of Superheroes, all of which are anime wannabe shows. They also tend to be a bit heavy on the marketing side. If you're expecting G1, prepare to be disappointed.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:04PM
Neilsama at 11:40AM, May 11, 2007
(online)
I don't expect G1. I just think they should tell a story and not try to make the program gimmicky. What they really need to do is to make entirely new characters instead of making pale immitations of the ones from twenty years ago.

And I'm not that an anime-style Transformers series would be bad. What I'm saying is that the Japanese writers apparently didn't understand that it was a character-driven show and proceeded to make it gimmicky. It's kind of insulting when the show makes it a point to remind you in every single episode that when character A and character B link together, they make a bigger toy.

don't forget this is being produced and directed by people who worked on the Batman, Teen Titans, and Legion of Superheroes
None of these are particularly bad programs, and I think they might be able to do the kind of Transformers programming we've been waiting to see since Beast Wars.
jalford at 1:43AM, May 12, 2007
(online)
This'll be done by the same creators as Beast Wars and Beast Machines. Mainframe has been doing CGI for over 10 years now, and has actually provided animation for a few Japanese shows as well. The last few shows: Robots In Disguise, Armada, its sequel Energon, and Cybertron, were all anime.

BTW, check out the Transformers Kiss line that ran in Japan…
http://www.takaratomy.co.jp/products/TF/kiss
marine at 4:14AM, May 12, 2007
(offline)
Beast Wars = win
Beast Machines = fail
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:52PM
isukun at 2:26PM, May 12, 2007
(online)
This'll be done by the same creators as Beast Wars and Beast Machines. Mainframe has been doing CGI for over 10 years now, and has actually provided animation for a few Japanese shows as well.

It's not being made by mainframe. Apart from the involvement of Marty Isenberg, who isn't an employee of mainframe (nor ever was, he is a contract writer who works for several different companies, but seems to have settled with WB in recent years), there is no relation to mainframe at all. The show is being made by regulars from WB's animation studios, particularly Cartoon Network. None of the other people from the article ever worked with mainframe. Even Marty Isenberg only worked on Beast Machines. Claiming it's made by the same people is more than a stretch.
ccs1989 at 6:33PM, May 13, 2007
(online)
If this is done with the same character models as the Transformers movie, it's bound to suck. All those tranformers look the same. It's impossible to tell them apart.
http://ccs1989.deviantart.com

“If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.”
-Henry David Thoreau, Walden
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:38AM
isukun at 7:31PM, May 13, 2007
(online)
It looks like it may be some sort of sequel to the movie set in the future. It's probably just an excuse to throw in kid charcters, though, and even with the scant details from the article I can see they are going to be taking some ideas from the Japanese shows.
Hguyver at 12:20AM, May 14, 2007
(online)
isukun
It looks like it may be some sort of sequel to the movie set in the future. It's probably just an excuse to throw in kid charcters, though, and even with the scant details from the article I can see they are going to be taking some ideas from the Japanese shows.

If it's set in the future I guess that means no Spike… AGAIN. I'm sorry, but the recent transformers series's human characters have always been so… Cheesy. I know it's for little kids but, Dang. It's been a long time since I've seen the orginal series, but I don't think Spike was ever that big of a dork as those kids.

Heh, I do remember this one scenes from the original series where Optimus Prime was actually playing basket ball with Spike. Now that's just awesome… Farewell again Spike. Another animated series without you.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:48PM
jalford at 4:15AM, May 14, 2007
(online)
Daniel sucked so much ass though! Too much of the original movie was wasted watching him try on his new robot-pants. And the 2 kids from T: Cybertron should've been flattened by Megs the first chance he saw them. It was sooooo retarded in T: Armada when the kids in that one actually got Starscream to be good…EEEWWW! I hope that little girl they showed in the movie trailer gets stomped by the Decepticon in her pool!
Neilsama at 6:55PM, May 14, 2007
(online)
Oh, I hated those kids in Armada! Especially that little priss Alexis. What, didn't they make Starscream a blanket or something?

Not to beat a dead horse, but Daniel was like a thousand times worse in the Japanese-only Headmasters series. Daniel was somewhere in the range of 12 or 13, but the way he would constantly burst into tears in the Japanese series, you'd think he was 5.

Heck, they even found a way to make him more annoying while dubbing the American series to Japanese. There was that one scene in Transformers: The Movie, where Daniel bursts into tears at the moment Prime dies. In the Japanese dub, he screams out this infantile wail. It's like they would cast him similarly to one of those annoying kids you'd periodically see in a Godzilla or Gamera movie.

With the exception of Spike, I don't think there's been a single human character I've ever liked in any Transformers series. Except for maybe Chip Chase. "No one is ever truly disabled as long as he has COURAGE!"
Hguyver at 6:08PM, May 15, 2007
(online)
I don't recall anyone mentioning this, Is this new series going to be 2D or 3D?
jalford at 4:23AM, May 17, 2007
(online)
Chip was kind of a concieded dick though. He just DECIDED that the Constructicons were gonna join the Autobots, so he “reprograms” them into joining the Autobots. If the Decepticons were doing this it'd be called “brainwashing”, and it be “EVIL”!

They also never showed if Spike ended up scoring with that South American chick.
isukun at 6:51AM, May 17, 2007
(online)
Is this new series going to be 2D or 3D?

From the “teaser” image that was posted shortly after the article, I'd say it was going to be 2D and likely in the style of Teen Titans.
jalford at 2:34PM, May 17, 2007
(online)
They had finally gotten some decent CGI Transformers in T: Cybertron. The ones they had on T: Energon were horrible. I'll forgive the crude animation for Beast Wars & Beast Machines cause it was still the 90s.
magnus911 at 9:08PM, May 21, 2007
(offline)
I read on Wikipedia(The all-knowing database!) that Optimus Prime will be younger than the other Autobots. And that the Transformers' designs would not be based on the designs of the film, instead an “entirely new look” for the Transformers that hasn't been seen before.

For voices, Tom Kenny(Spongebob Squarepants, The Mayor/The Narrator from Powerpuff Girls) will voice Starscream. I seriously hope that Starscream won't be made into a wuss with Tom Kenny providing his voice. Starscream was my favourite character in G1 other than Prime. David Kaye(the Megatrons from Beast Wars/Machines and Armada/Energon/Cybertron) will voice Prime(??). Corey Burton(Shockwave and Sunstreaker from G1) will be voicing Megatron, according to Frank Welker(Megatron from G1).

I personally thought Armada was great, although the series took quite a while to take off(First few episodes were PAINFULLY slow). Energon was crap, and Cybertron was not-so-crappy, but still crap(and the fact that the Japanese team working on it decided to make it a stand-alone show, unlike what the American team desired, a continuous trilogy, didn't help and made the continuity choppy).

Back on topic, I'm not expecting much from this show, considering how Energon and Cybertron kinda dissappointed me, but, who knows? This show might actually be good.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:50PM
DetectiveFork at 4:17PM, May 28, 2007
(offline)
As I hate the movie designs so much that I've decided not to see the film, I'm hoping this animated show is good so there's something I can like about modern day Transformers.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:10PM
Atom Apple at 7:29PM, May 28, 2007
(online)
Is it going to be anime?
i will also like to know you the more
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:03AM
isukun at 5:24AM, May 31, 2007
(online)
No, it's being made by the same people who make the newer DC series (Teen Titans, the Batman, and Legion of Superheroes). It will likely be wannabe anime, but not made by a Japanese studio.
that kid yellow at 3:29PM, June 5, 2007
(online)
Transformers
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:14PM
Hguyver at 2:19AM, June 6, 2007
(online)
isukun
No, it's being made by the same people who make the newer DC series (Teen Titans, the Batman, and Legion of Superheroes). It will likely be wannabe anime, but not made by a Japanese studio.

I guess that means we don't have to worry about loads of time killing stock footage of the robots transforming or combining together to form super robots.
chris at 7:13PM, June 7, 2007
(offline)
OMG, it's going to be SD Gundam all over again….

X'D
j/k

I hope it's decent for a change. I'm really excited about the movie but still remaining cautious.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:42AM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved