Comic Talk, Tips and Tricks

Newb needs image size help
dinomama at 3:14PM, June 3, 2008
(offline)
Does anyone know how to make these stupid images not come up MEGA HUGE? I made the image size 250megapixels and that didn't seem to help at all :(

I'm using my camera to take pictures of my drawings ( i lack access to a scanner) and then using Photoshop Elements to resize, adjust, etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :D
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:11PM
TheMidge28 at 3:37PM, June 3, 2008
(online)
I'm not familiar with PS but on Gimp there is a resize tool to do the task for you.
This question might get more responses you are looking for in the Tips and Tricks forum. :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:25PM
amanda at 6:28PM, June 3, 2008
(online)
Hi Dino - I second TheMidge's statement, but another thing to look for…sometimes camera photos have different resolutions that make the images HUGE. Try changing the resolution to 72dpi (usually the default - you can normally find this setting in the same screen as your image re-sizing options). Then try changing the size (I size by inches rather than pixels, so I have a more accurate idea of how large my image will be). If that doesn't work, definitely head towards the Tips forum. Bon Chance!
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:51AM
ozoneocean at 7:44PM, June 3, 2008
(online)
Heh, a megapixel isn't a proper measure of image size. Damn Digicam sellers made it popular… :)
Your image most likely is NOT 250 megapixels. Unless it's taken from an Ultracam, and then if you could afford one of those you'd be able to buy a million scanners ^___^

Megabytes and kilobytes are a bit better. ^_^

There are options in cameras to take smaller photos. But it's best to take them fairly large so they're good quality and then shrink them on your comp. Not sure what programs you're using though so I don't know how to tell you to go about it. The advice of Midge and Amanda is a pretty good start though. ;)

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:31PM
dinomama at 12:14AM, June 5, 2008
(offline)
I made a typo - it's 250 PIXLES not megapix. My bad.

Now my problem is DD won't upload my new title banner, avatar, or reload pages with different sizes. I figured out I can delete pages and load them again, but any idea why the title image and avatar won't load?
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:11PM
eagandaphin at 8:35PM, June 10, 2008
(offline)
yeah, I had/have the same problem. It's weird, cuz I uploaded it and it was huge, I changed it to like miniscule size and it was still huge. About four hours later it was tiny, like the size it was supposed to be, so I changed it normal (so it could actually be seen) but now it's still small :/ And my other pages I uploaded big too, but normalized em and they stayed that way for a while, but now some are big again.

I'm a little confused, but I hope it works itself out.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:18PM
Sean C at 8:01AM, June 12, 2008
(online)
I've found that this particular method really helps shrink down file size without any real loss of quality, and I hope this can apply to your unique situation.

1 - get your linework into PS

2 - make your page and clean it up

3 - when the linework is finalized, flatten the image and then save it as a TIFF - use LZW compression; this greatly reduces file size without any loss of image quality, and this is the step that's going to fix most of your problems - you no longer need those massive original files

4 - use the new TIFF as your workpage, completing coloring and lettering; save this file as a PSD so you can go back and make adjustments

5 - flatten the layers, adjust the size of the image for your website, and then save that as a JPEG

I use this method to take a file that would normally be nearly 60-70 mbs to a mere 700 or so kbs - all three of the files take up less than 2 mbs this way
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:24PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved