Media Megaforum

Next Batman Movie
kaleygeminni at 4:08PM, Aug. 2, 2008
(online)
Okay, I absolutely loved The Dark Knight (Michael Caine I love you) with the exception of Bale's ridiculously raspy voice when he did the voice of ‘Batman’ - seriously, I winced every time. <:) Of course, a day after I watched the movie, I started looking for rumors online about the next Batman movie and listening to my radio station for some info. Here's what I heard:

1. The next movie's going to have the Riddler and the Penguin and they're asking Johnny Depp to be the Riddler.
2. In the future, when they throw Catwoman out there, they're aiming for Angelina Jolie.

K, I love Depp and Jolie, they're wonderful actors, but… the Penguin? Come on, the Riddler's too similar to the Joker and these new Batman movies are more rugged - more believable, less gimmicky. I love that. The Penguin is one of the more pathetic villains I've ever known and I am only mildly comforted by the fact that they want Depp to be the Riddler (that man can take any role and make a kick-arse character out of it), but still… Just wanna hear your thoughts and feel free to dispute these rumors and make my day a lil bit better. And Angelina Jolie as Catwoman? I dunno if she'll be as good as Pfeiffer but sadly, I think she'd be a LOT better than Halle Berry. -_-; (I don't think it was her personally, tho… it was just a bad movie to the core…) Anyways, I'd love to hear your thoughts! :3
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:13PM
HippieVan at 4:34PM, Aug. 2, 2008
(online)
:O Those are totally the two villains I guessed would be in the next movie after I saw it the first time!
They're both kind of ridiculous and I can't imagine they'll be able to compare to the other villains they've used. I love the penguin in the cheesy old Adam West batman(“some days you just can't get rid of a bomb!”). Not to brag, but I do a perfect imitation of that little penguin sound he makes. However, I don't think he would be right for the kind of amazing, serious movies they're trying to make.
Do you really think they'll try to do Catwoman again after she was ruined with the Catwoman movie?
Duchess of Friday Newsposts and the holy Top Ten
Have a comic milestone, a community project or some comic-related news you’d like to see in
a newspost? Send it to me via PQ or at hippievannews(at)gmail.com!
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:49PM
Faliat at 5:43PM, Aug. 2, 2008
(online)
I'm a bit scared by the Riddler being played by Depp… I dunno if me might bring a bit too much Jack Sparrow to it.

I'd say that they should bring back Carrey, but he doesn't usually reprise roles.

Danny Devito, though was an awesome Penguin. Unlike the “ACTUAL” penguins stupidly shuffling his body into the sewer water…

Call that jumped up metal rod a knife?
Watch mine go straight through a kevlar table, and if it dunt do the same to a certain gaixan's skull in my immediate vicinity after, I GET A F*****G REFUND! BUKKO, AH?!

- Rekkiy (NerveWire)
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:25PM
Hawk at 9:35PM, Aug. 2, 2008
(online)
Sorry… gotta move this over to the Media Discussion area where they discuss movies. And of course, they're already discussing this one.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:46PM
lastcall at 6:22AM, Aug. 3, 2008
(offline)
They've already covered all these villains in previous films; it would be silly for them to do them again.

I gave my predictions in another thread so I'm not gonna double-post it. ;)
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:28PM
korosu at 6:59AM, Aug. 3, 2008
(online)
Y'know, I'm glad I'm not the only one who hated Bale's Batman voice! Someone get that guy a cough drop, already!

As for the next movie, I'm kinda looking forward to seeing Johnny Depp as the Riddler. This'll be interesting. (But who'll play the Penguin, I wonder?…) And Angelina Jolie as Catwoman?… Ugh! On an IMDb forum a couple of weeks ago there was a thread for suggestions for the next Catwoman, and someone mentioned her, and I was just thinking, “Naw, they wouldn't do that!” Guess I was wrong.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:21PM
kaleygeminni at 7:26AM, Aug. 3, 2008
(online)
Last I heard they were looking at Philip Seymour Hoffman to play Penguin. But then I heard that Nolan said that there was no place for the Penguin in the new Batman movies. I, for one, will be EXTREMELY relieved if this' true. Now on to Depp as the Riddler… if Depp does play him, I hope to all the gods above that they won't cast him in spandex. That will make me cry like nothing else. >.<
bobhhh at 8:48AM, Aug. 3, 2008
(offline)
kaleygeminni
Last I heard they were looking at Philip Seymour Hoffman to play Penguin. But then I heard that Nolan said that there was no place for the Penguin in the new Batman movies. I, for one, will be EXTREMELY relieved if this' true. Now on to Depp as the Riddler… if Depp does play him, I hope to all the gods above that they won't cast him in spandex. That will make me cry like nothing else. >.<

Nolan would do best to distance himself from the sixties TV show, not that I didnt't love it, but that's not what he's doing, and Burton's attempt to straddle both sensibilities made his films too cheesy to be the gothic Dark Knight and too serious to be Adam West. The compromise failed for me.

Where as Nolan has truly mined the tortured flawed Batman anti hero without Keatonesque smirking and the disturbed, psychotic supervillians with style and depth up until now.(unlike Nicholson's scenery chewing goofball and Jim Carrey's prepsoterous clowning) Having a silly cackling Riddler and Penguin would be very disappointing.
My name is Bob and I approved this signature.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:30AM
kaleygeminni at 9:09AM, Aug. 3, 2008
(online)
ah, then, the question is: what villain would you guys rather see in the next batman movie? i'm truly glad they did the joker and two-face already. if two-face had survived till the next movie, the cliche would kill me. :gem:
bobhhh at 9:21AM, Aug. 3, 2008
(offline)
I'm rooting for King Tut and Egghead!!!

lol!
My name is Bob and I approved this signature.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:30AM
kingofsnake at 1:41PM, Aug. 3, 2008
(online)
They *could* do all those villains pretty easily in the Nolan universe.

Downplay the physical deformity in the Penguin. Use him like he's used in the comics now, as a ‘legitimate’ nightclub owner who fences stolen goods on the side. Lose the umbrella shtick. Have ‘the penguin’ be like an underworld nickname for him that he reacts violently to, instead of like a namesake.

Johnny Depp could easily do The Riddler. It seams like easy casing though. He's just play him like his character from From Hell or Sleepy Hollow. Don't make him wacky, just give him this OCD complex where he can't NOT leave a clue. Do you think Burton would be cool with his pet-actor working on a franchise that he doesn't work on anymore, or do you think it'd be like betrayal.

I like the idea of bringing Selina Kyle into it, but I hate the idea of Angelina Jolie playing it. The relationship between Catwoman/Batman and Bruce/Selina has always been an interesting one, but frankly its been done. I don't know how they could make it fresh, or that they'd want to.

I'd like to see an actor like Mark Wahlberg or Matt Damon pick up a villain role. Someone that could offer a legitimate physical threat to Christian Bale. I mean, so far if he could get into a fist fight with any one of theses people, game over, it's like not even a challenge. Seriously Johnny Depp vs. Christian Bale? Bale would murder him.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:16PM
Custard Trout at 2:52PM, Aug. 3, 2008
(offline)
Hey, what's wrong with the Penguin?
Hey buddy, you should be a Russian Cosmonaut, and here's why.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:01PM
isukun at 4:38PM, Aug. 3, 2008
(online)
Don't make him wacky, just give him this OCD complex where he can't NOT leave a clue.

I kind of preferred the History Channel's approach to the character's psyche by describing him as a narcissist and likening him more to real life serial killers like Ted Bundy. It works well or the Riddler since your typical narcissistic serial killer will often consciously leave clues for the authorities.

Personally, though, I would prefer if they tried to focus more on villains that haven't been done before. With the more realistic approach to the storyline, it just seems like they could do more with the Gotham Mafia than they have at this point. They always seem to be side characters more than anything and there were some in the comics which were tied pretty closely to the murder of Bruce's parents. It could be a good opportunity to keep the story more personal and interesting instead of devolving into your “fight of the week”. Using Joe Chill in the first movie seemed like a good set up to bring in Lew Moxon and Deadshot. Heck, they could even bring in Malory as a potential love interest, but I really doubt it will happen.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:04PM
Sea_Cow at 5:53PM, Aug. 3, 2008
(offline)
Bane played by Tyler Mane, The Rock, or Michael Clarke-Duncan?

Tyler Mane or Rock could make him an epic badass, but MCD would probably be better for character development.
I am so happy to finally be back home
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:26PM
fern at 9:11PM, Aug. 3, 2008
(online)
Johnny Depp already played The Riddler, remember?

I wouldn't like it… or maybe I just hate that guy so much 'cause my gf hellaloves him.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:28PM
kingofsnake at 6:51AM, Aug. 4, 2008
(online)
Sea_Cow

Tyler Mane or Rock could make him an epic badass, but MCD would probably be better for character development.

The only man who can play Bane in my book is Nathan Jones

Sea_Cow at 7:55PM, Aug. 4, 2008
(offline)
kingofsnake
Sea_Cow

The only man who can play Bane in my book is Nathan Jones

Fuck yes.
jalford at 4:19AM, Aug. 5, 2008
(online)
Believable Batman villains for the sequal-
*Existing: Joker, Scarecrow, Two-Face, Mr. Zsasz, Ras Al Ghul(?)
*Not yet shown: Bane, King Snake, Riddler, Anarky, Catwoman, Talia, Black Mask, Deadshot, Calender Man, Harley Quinn, Lynx, Mad Hatter, Hugo Strange, Magpie, Abattoir, Terrible Trio, Calculator, Nocturna, Black Spider, Film Freak, Hush, KGBeast, Reaper, Wrath, Ratcatcher, Cluemaster.

Unlikely villains:
*Mr. Freeze, Copperhead, Poison Ivy, Monk, Clayface, Prometheus, Blockbuster, Catman, Dr. Death, Firefly, Prof. Milo, Killer Croc, Man-Bat, Amygdala, Penguin, Deacon Blackfire, Ventriloquist, Solomon Grundy, Electrocutioner, Gentlemen's Ghost, Outsider, Killer Moth, Dr. Phosphorus.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:06PM
mechanical_lullaby at 4:43AM, Aug. 5, 2008
(online)
I was going over this a while ago with some friends, and I would love to see Harley Quinn in the next movie– but as a minute part where she would just appear in several parts of the movie as a side character to try to kill Batman. Kind of like Carrie Fischer in Blues Brothers. I don't think it's too goofy sounding as the last movie went out with the idea that people would be trying to kill him anyway.
I'm tired of seeing Depp and Jolie in movies. It's not that I don't like them, and it's not that they don't bring anything new to the table every time- It's just I want to see new talent, fresh faces. Unfortunately for me, big names bring in the money aaaand I don't think that's going to happen. Plus I really don't want to see another movie with Riddler in it. I think they had their chance.
Plus by the way the last movie so well dealt with Scarecrow, I think he deserves a little more screen time at least.
And really with the tone of the movies… I can see Deadshot being appropriate for the third flick… or the wrath or something.

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:57PM
shaneronzio at 5:41AM, Aug. 5, 2008
(online)
Depp to be the Riddler.
Man, he will steal the show.

I would like to see the new version of Catwoman, especially the r rated version :). Catwoman played by Jolie.
…meh.
she should go raise her kids.

Get some fresh new smokin' hot hot hottie.
It's not like you need any more star power to sell the movie.

I hope Morgan Freeman gets back on his feet after that accident.
he really is a damn good actor.

Current Project:CROSS WORLDS NEXUS
Updates Monday, Wenzday & FRIDAY
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:33PM
korosu at 7:02AM, Aug. 5, 2008
(online)
jalford
Harley Quinn
YES, PLEASE! I would absolutely love to see a live-action version of her. Probably won't happen, though.

shaneronzio
Oh, I know. :( He'll be fine, though, I think.
kingofsnake at 8:51AM, Aug. 5, 2008
(online)
Anna Faris would be the perfect Dr. Quinzel. But I don't see that happening. She's too silly of a character for the Nolan Batman universe. The only way it would work at all is if she was really really fucked up and then she wouldn't be much at all like the comics Harley and the fans would hate it. Its a lose/lose situation.

They already did a movie with the Ratcatcher, it was called Willard.

I'd love to see the Terrible Trio.

I think Poison Ivy is do-able, just lose some of the more supernatural stuff but keep the whole earth-friendly/plant toxin deal. I think Penguin could work, in the ways I suggested earlier. Also Firefly could easily work. He wouldn't be a good main villain, but you could have Batman catch him in the first fifteen minutes or something. Just make him an arsonist and a stalker, and don't call him firefly. Just call him Garfield Lynns.

You missed Lock-up, Roxy Rocket, and the Clock King Temple Fugate. They were never primary Batman villains but they'd fit right into the Nolan universe.
SpANG at 9:09AM, Aug. 5, 2008
(online)
shaneronzio

Hey I LOVE Freeman. He's one of the best actors for our time. He's come a long way from "easy-reader". :)

That said, I'm sick of the James Bond/Q crap. Bruce Wayne is supposed to be a scientific genius. He has the resources and the knowledge to make his OWN gadgets. Alfred is also extremely clever and helpful in that regard. I hope they focus on that in the next movie, and not worry about a Lucius Fox.
“To a rational mind, nothing is inexplicable. Only unexplained.”
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:53PM
Hawk at 9:31AM, Aug. 5, 2008
(online)
kingofsnake
Anna Faris would be the perfect Dr. Quinzel. But I don't see that happening. She's too silly of a character for the Nolan Batman universe. The only way it would work at all is if she was really really fucked up and then she wouldn't be much at all like the comics Harley and the fans would hate it. Its a lose/lose situation.

I didn't even think about that. Joker and Harley were really funny in the animated series. Joker was funny in The Dark Knight, but really sick funny. I don't want to see a sick funny Harley Quinn. And in Nolan's world, they may not have any other option.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:46PM
Sea_Cow at 11:17AM, Aug. 5, 2008
(offline)
kingofsnake
I think Poison Ivy is do-able

Oh, yes she is!
jalford at 3:31AM, Aug. 6, 2008
(online)
The did a HQ in the Birds Of Prey live-action series, AND THE BITCH NEVER PUT ON THE COSTUME ONCE!!!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:06PM
korosu at 5:43AM, Aug. 6, 2008
(online)
jalford
The did a HQ in the Birds Of Prey live-action series
Oh, riiiight… I totally forgot all about that show. :P
Wills42 at 6:11AM, Aug. 6, 2008
(online)
I heard somewhere that Angelina Jolie won't be doing any more action movies, now that she has all them childrens.
I think I read that in an interview of the director of ‘Wanted’. Ah well. Long as they don't have Halle Barry…
Didn't they do Killer Croc in the ‘Gotham Night’ Animatrix thing?
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:50PM
rufus_edge at 10:03AM, Aug. 6, 2008
(online)
I'm surprised that more people don't think it would be easy to make the Penguin fit into the Batman Begins/Dark Knight universe. I can't imagine how they could possibly do the Riddler without having him be too goofy, even with Depp. I would love to see them include the Ventriloquist, even if he only makes a brief appearance.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:12PM
lastcall at 4:54PM, Aug. 7, 2008
(offline)
I'm confused why we are having double threads of Batman. Can one of them be locked or something?

Here's the original thread where we began discussing this similar topic: http://www.drunkduck.com/community/view_topic.php?tid=43882&cid=239

…Again, it would be really helpful if we could have a Search function in the Forum, to prevent double-posting. Will this be implemented anytime in the near future? ;)
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:28PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved