Media Megaforum

Next Batman Movie
mechanical_lullaby at 4:33AM, Aug. 8, 2008
(online)
lastcall
I'm confused why we are having double threads of Batman. Can one of them be locked or something?

Here's the original thread where we began discussing this similar topic: http://www.drunkduck.com/community/view_topic.php?tid=43882&cid=239

…Again, it would be really helpful if we could have a Search function in the Forum, to prevent double-posting. Will this be implemented anytime in the near future? ;)
I think one of them hasn't been locked because this one is discussing the future movie alone, speculation and all. The one you linked to is really for reactions to the movie that just came out.

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:57PM
Inkmonkey at 11:29AM, Aug. 8, 2008
(online)
For the Riddler, the actually canonical explanation for his clues seems perfectly fine to me: His dad would beat the shit out of him when he would lie as a kid, so he feels compelled to tell the truth, even if it's through an elaborate riddle.

Still, the best plot I can think of for The Riddler would be for him to essentially do what Joker already did: use his unique frame of mind to do crime that the traditional criminals couldn't or wouldn't. Same with the penguin; as a main character, the best he could do is be a more elegant Joker.

I think the next film needs to be more personal. Dark Knight basically did the Batman story on the widest scope that could be feasible for the new Batman franchise. In a sense, everyone was in danger except for Batman. I think the new film has to put things squarely on Batman's shoulders.

I'm of the mind that Catwoman is the way to go, simply because she opens up an avenue that the other major Bat-villains don't. If played right she should at least be physically a match for Batman, and from my perspective should be quite similar (a vigilante, technically fighting for justice, but grabbing some extra cash on the side). Sort of a perspective on what would happen if Batman went wrong. So there's the dilemma that really she's breaking the law, but then again so is he.

So… yeah. I was kinda making that up as I went along, but now I really like that idea. They had a bit of the idea of a darker, more violent vigilante in Two-Face, but I think they could really paint a better picture with Catwoman.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:00PM
Evil Emperor Nick at 11:50AM, Aug. 8, 2008
(offline)
I like the idea of a dark female vigilante in the next film but I would much rather see Huntress then Catwoman. Catwoman is just a theif with some decent fighting skills but Huntress is bascially a young Batman minus the Y chromosome, mercy & decency.

Plus I'd rather not see another doomed romance storyline in the Batman movies.

last edited on July 14, 2011 12:23PM
DAJB at 12:16PM, Aug. 8, 2008
(online)
Evil Emperor Nick
I like the idea of a dark female vigilante in the next film but I would much rather see Huntress then Catwoman.
I would love to see Huntress make an appearance but I seriously doubt they would do her justice.

She's exactly the kind of character they would cast Angelina Jolie to play (even more so than Catwoman) and - for all her sterling work in indie films - every “blockbuster” movie she's ever made has been dreadful!
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:03PM
Inkmonkey at 7:32AM, Aug. 9, 2008
(online)
I agree that Huntress makes more sense for the role, but she's not going to put butts in seats like Selina would. Even if they get the perfect Huntress script, I just know those jerks in the studio are going to force it to be Catwoman…

Also, I just realized that my idea is pretty much just “Mystery of the Batwoman”, but with a different anti-heroine…
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:00PM
jalford at 2:15AM, Aug. 10, 2008
(online)
Hopefully whoever it is will have scores of sexy henchgirls instead of the usual scraggily-faced mafioso creeps.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:06PM
mlai at 4:56AM, Aug. 11, 2008
(online)
Sick of seeing the normal bunch of A-list villains + the normal bunch of A-list actors.

One or the other is okay (for example, Ledger wasn't that mainstream), but not both. Depp/Riddler and Jolie/Catwoman would be an example of both.

Depp I can accept, because he can actually act, and I know he's not stupid enough to do a Jack Sparrow Riddler. Jolie… um, can you say “too old to be a sexpot”? (Not just old, actually… also ‘tired’ ) C'mon wtf, do ppl actually still see any feminine mystery in this woman? Her as Catwoman would be so boring.

FIGHT current chapter: Filling In The Gaps
FIGHT_2 current chapter: Light Years of Gold
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:06PM
kaleygeminni at 6:17AM, Aug. 11, 2008
(online)
I'd love to see someone else, someone new be catwoman. But seriously, I have yet to see someone besides Ledger from this younger generation that can seriously ACT. A female femme fatale-type person who's sexy, sultry, wicked, and unique enough to pull it off - and also who's more of today's generation. Not many actors/actresses are as versatile as Depp or as powerful as Denzel Washington, for instance. Jolie ALWAYS plays the sultry, mysterious character - it's what she does. I would love to see someone play out the char of Catwoman who's a little more vulnerable in her sultriness (Pfeiffer was AMAZING at catwoman), but I really can't think of anyone else that comes closer.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:13PM
DAJB at 9:31AM, Aug. 11, 2008
(online)
The problem with trying to cast specific villains is that we inevitably try to cast actors who would fit the role as its usually portrayed in the comics. The actors who have been successful, however, are those who have taken the role away from the comics and made it something new.

Keaton played Bruce Wayne/Batman as a very hesitant character, as confused by his duality as anyone else, not as the hard-line self-assured man of absolutes that the comics were making him out to be. Pfeiffer played Selina/Catwoman as a fruitcake, ditzy bordering on insane, not as an assured femme fatale. And, of course, Ledger played the Joker almost entirely without his trademark maniacal cackle.

When trying to cast a future Catwoman, Huntress, Penguin or any other character, therefore, the question shouldn't be who can play them as we currently know them, but who could tear up the script and play them completely differently.
kingofsnake at 9:31AM, Aug. 11, 2008
(online)
Young actresses that can act?

Natalie Portman… Julia Styles… Ellen Page…

Theres plenty more too. She's not exactly young, but I think Maria Bello is probably the best actress around right now. Would any of them make a good Catwoman? No, probably not. You never know though. There was alot of nay-saying when Ledger was first announced to play the Joker. I could probably warm up to the idea of a Natalie Portman Catwoman.

One of the reasons you don't see as many great actresses as you do great actors is that there are far less deep roles for women then there are for men. I mean, even in good movies alot of the female characters are limited to “be hot” and “be in love with the main character.” You don't find many truly three-dimensional female characters in films nowadays.

Assuming Catwoman would be in the next batman. And assuming that it was as intense a role as The Joker or Harvey Dent or even Gordon was in TDK. It's not even a matter of it being a type cast. I don't think Angelina Jolie is a good enough actress for the role. I garuntee she'd be the worst part of that movie. Her wooden acting would stick out like a sore thumb standing there next to Bale, and Oldman, and Caine, and Freeman.

She'd've been perfect casting for a Joel Schumacker Batman movie though.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:16PM
korosu at 9:55AM, Aug. 11, 2008
(online)
kingofsnake
She'd've been perfect casting for a Joel Schumacker Batman movie though.
Yeah, no kidding. And you're right about the lack of depth in a lot of female characters. Now that I really think about it, for the most part, the female character in a “serious” movie (chick flicks aside) is typically there purely for eye candy or some sort of romance.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:21PM
SpANG at 10:16AM, Aug. 11, 2008
(online)
I'd rather not see dual characters for the supporting roles anyways. Catwoman should just be Catwoman.

I truthfully can't see Portman/Styles/Page as a good choice. Visually, I guess that's up for debate. I don't think any of them would be a good Catwoman. Batgirl, maybe. ;)
Not a bad actresses but from what I've seen of them, they don't play the ‘seduction’ role. Catwoman needs to be slinky, seductive. I don't think any of them could pull it off. These would be my top 3, in particular order…

Kristin Kreuk - Visually, yes. Seductive, yes. Acting, YES. I think she does a great job on Smallville. She has shown that she can perform choreographed fighting onscreen. I personally think she'd be perfect. But could she escape the “Lana Lang in a catwoman outfit” perception? I dunno.

Jessica Alba- Visually, hell yes. Seductive, again yes. Acting ability- er… I'm not sure.

Megan Fox- Again, visually, I think it would work, but I'm not sure about the acting chops. I thought she was okay in the Transformers movie, but she'd really need to play something really different in Batman. She had some decent action scenes, though.

I wouldn't mind an unknown, though. As long as she fit the part.

Speaking of which, does anyone else think that Maggie Gyllenhall is kind of– NOT hot at all? I think she was rather homely to be playing someone that a playboy millionaire would go for.

“To a rational mind, nothing is inexplicable. Only unexplained.”
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:53PM
Hawk at 10:35AM, Aug. 11, 2008
(online)
I can't wait to see what kind of Chun Li the Kristin Kreuk can be. I know it probably won't be a good movie, but it's still interesting to see how well they cast your favorite Street Fighters. And you know what? She does kind of look like she could be a Catwoman. But how old is she? Maybe she's a bit young, I don't know.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:46PM
korosu at 10:51AM, Aug. 11, 2008
(online)
SpANG
Speaking of which, does anyone else think that Maggie Gyllenhall is kind of– NOT hot at all? I think she was rather homely to be playing someone that a playboy millionaire would go for.
I agree. And not only a playboy millionaire, but a super-hot DA with fabulous hair. I think she just looks too much like a Jake Gyllenhall with breasts, poor girl. :/
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:21PM
SpANG at 1:42PM, Aug. 11, 2008
(online)
Hawk
I can't wait to see what kind of Chun Li the Kristin Kreuk can be. I know it probably won't be a good movie, but it's still interesting to see how well they cast your favorite Street Fighters. And you know what? She does kind of look like she could be a Catwoman. But how old is she? Maybe she's a bit young, I don't know.
She's 26. She just PLAYS a high school kid. ;)
Hawk at 3:25PM, Aug. 11, 2008
(online)
SpANG
She's 26. She just PLAYS a high school kid. ;)

Whew, that's a relief!

I think she's kind of cute. :)
mlai at 11:45PM, Aug. 11, 2008
(online)
Kristin Kreuk - I can see how she's supposed to be hot. My roommate is infatuated with her. Unfortunately, her looooong Smallville stint is hurting her career IMO. Why? Because her Smallville character is despicable, exactly the type of character every audience member (other than those infatuated with her) hopes would get run over by a bus.

I cannot stand her trademark big-wistful-watery-eyes expression. So soap opera. I keep imagining poking those big buggy eyes out.

Glynynynyhall - I thought she looked the part of an assistant DA, but not the part of “beautiful dream girl we'd feel sad losing.” Honestly, who was sad Joker killed her?

Alba, Fox - Catwoman? Yes. Because I don't put too much stock in “acting cred.” AFAIC, as long as you're a decent actress and not a complete joke, with a good director and a good script, a decent actress can be a great actress. I just don't want another 50 y/o woman playing a role that's supposed to be young/sexy.

jalford at 4:42AM, Aug. 14, 2008
(online)
If the movies are following some of the plot detailed in Gotham Knight, then for the 3rd movie, Arkham Asylum has now taken over the entire part of The Narrows. So now, the entire island is one big free-roaming looney-bin. Since Crane is now locked up, that would be a good lead in for Hugo Strange to be the new head of Arkham. He'd make for an interesting movie character, although probably not the main villain just because he doesn't have a costume.
humorman at 2:02AM, Aug. 25, 2008
(offline)
I think the Riddler would be a good villain for the next movie, but instead of being portrayed as a campy incarnation of Jim Carrey's performance in Batman Forever, he should be entirely remade for the Nolan series.

For example, instead of the maniacal super-villain, the audience is greeted with a reserved, sophisticated Edward Nashton, the revered CEO of Nashton Incorporated. Since the events of Dark Knight, Wayne Enterprises has suffered an economic lost due to Bruce's investments in Batman's high-tech gadgetry. Coupled with the fact that he has now become Gotham City's most wanted “criminal”, Batman has entered a losing struggle for justice. When news gets out that a powerful new crime boss simply known as the “Riddler” has been shattering the remaining peace left in the city, it's up to the Batman to save the day once again. However, just as the Batman begins his pursuit for the Riddler, Nashton proposes a merger between his and Bruce's companies. Bruce declines, and a short time later he discovers that one of his company's research institutes is being ransacked by the Riddler's thugs. Although the Batman is able to thwart this crime, the next day, Bruce is shocked to hear the Nashton has now decided to completely buy out his company. Confused and bewildered by this new offer, Bruce asks Nashton why he is doing this. It is at this point Edward Nashton reveals that he and crime-lord Riddler are one in the same; it turns out that Nashton uses his higher-ranking henchmen to carry out organized crime under the “Riddler” persona while he orchestrates everything from the safety of his seat within his own company. Even more surprising is that not only has Nashton figured out the Bruce Wayne is the Batman, but has also has gained enough evidence of this to show to the public (Nashton plans to use this to blackmail Bruce into selling his company to him). Of course, Bruce could just as easily expose Nashton's secret to Gotham City, but if people knew he was the Batman, he would lose his credibility and Nashton could simply brush his claim off has the lies of an insane criminal. It is this that brings up Edward Nashton's ultimate riddle to the Batman:

In a world where only one man knows the truth and everyone else are mislead by lies, will others see this man as a liar accepted by none or the savior misunderstood by all?

Yeah, I know I neglected to mention Gordon, Fox and a lot of other characters as well as left out a lot of other details, but this is a general idea/theme of what I think the next movie should be about.

Billy vs. Tree – The epic struggle of boy versus tree.
Sonic Colores – It looks like it's going to be a good game because I love how the way it makes me grow.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:51PM
ozoneocean at 2:30AM, Aug. 25, 2008
(online)
humorman
For example, instead of the maniacal super-villain, the audience is greeted with a reserved, sophisticated Edward Nashton, the revered CEO of Nashton Incorporated.
Will his tie have question marks all over it?

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:32PM
kaleygeminni at 4:38AM, Aug. 26, 2008
(online)
Holy flying sh**balls! O.o just heard on the radio that nolan wants CHER to be catwoman! CHER! He wants her to be catwoman over jolie! This is just too much. Please tell me I'm not the only one with my jaw hanging open in shock lol
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:13PM
kingofsnake at 6:08AM, Aug. 26, 2008
(online)
I'll put up any amount of money you want: Nolan was exaggerating to express just how unlikely a Jolie catwoman would be.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:16PM
Wills42 at 8:16AM, Aug. 26, 2008
(online)
kaleygeminni
Holy flying sh**balls! O.o just heard on the radio that nolan wants CHER to be catwoman! CHER! He wants her to be catwoman over jolie! This is just too much. Please tell me I'm not the only one with my jaw hanging open in shock lol
Dang, you got it up before I did.
My mother, who doesn't even LIKE the batman movies, yet went to see DK, was like “No, just.. No…”

On another note, who thinks that David Tennent (From Doctor Who) Would make a good Riddler?
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:50PM
SpANG at 9:55AM, Aug. 26, 2008
(online)
Wills42
kaleygeminni
Dang, you got it up before I did.
My mother, who doesn't even LIKE the batman movies, yet went to see DK, was like “No, just.. No…”
I'll bet it's just a publicity stunt. ;)

Wills42
On another note, who thinks that David Tennent (From Doctor Who) Would make a good Riddler?
That is a hell of an idea! I like it!
jalford at 5:36AM, Sept. 4, 2008
(online)
Wonder if they'll even bother with the version of Killer Croc that appeared in Gotham Knight.
DAJB at 8:14AM, Sept. 4, 2008
(online)
Wills42
Not me!

I love David Tennant in Dr Who but I think his wacky, zany over-enthusiastic approach to everything would mean that “his” Riddler would be a carbon copy of every other Riddler. He'd do it well, but it would still be the same old, same old.

I'd like to see the Riddler played with some gravitas for a change … played as a character who demands respect. It takes intelligence and wit to create a good riddle. It has to be something that seems almost impossible to solve until you know the answer and then becomes blindingly obvious … It's like creating cryptic crossword clues.

If they want to breathe new life into the Riddler, then I think they should cast someone who would play it differently to the versions we're already familiar with; someone who would play it straight; someone who wouldn't giggle, whose very presence speaks of a mind intelligent enough to outwit Batman. Ian McKellen probably wouldn't want to play another super villain but he's the caibre of actor I'd choose.

Similarly, I'd like to see a new take on Poison Ivy. Instead of making her the boring, sultry seductress that's been done to death, I'd make her inhuman and dispassionate … after all she is part plant! After her emotionless turns in Firefly and Sarah Connor Chronicles, I think Summer Glau could be a very different and far more interesting Ivy.
Hawk at 9:33AM, Sept. 4, 2008
(online)
I actually just watched some of Riddler in the old Adam West Batman… and you know who he reminded me of? Daniel Craig. I think he wouldn't be a bad choice to play Riddler in an upcoming movie. I think whoever they put in next as the villain should be more sane and less cornball, because if the next villain is anything like Joker, it'll feel like they're inferior.

In fact, I'd like to see a Riddler who isn't crazy at all… He's just REALLY smart, and so cocky that he likes leaving clues in the form of riddles.
mlai at 11:29PM, Sept. 5, 2008
(online)
Daniel Craig as Riddler?? LOL! Is he gonna drive a Beemer that shoots homing missiles at the Batcar and then drops into the river and becomes a submarine? 8 D

jalford at 2:48AM, Sept. 6, 2008
(online)
Aaron Eckhart recently stated that Two-Face was DEAD at the end of The Dark Knight, so I don't think he'll be in the sequal.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved