Nirvana or Pearl Jam?
goldenBoi445 at 1:27PM, Nov. 24, 2008
(offline)
Which is a better band?
I'm on the fence with this one.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:38PM
Hawk at 2:09PM, Nov. 24, 2008
(online)
I hope you don't mind, I'm going to move this to the media discussion section where we talk about music/movies/TV. You'll probably get a better response there.

Oh, and Pearl Jam. I think radio stations need to cut back on 90's grunge, but if I were to choose, it would be Pearl Jam.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:46PM
Mushroomcomix at 5:15PM, Nov. 24, 2008
(offline)
I'm on the fence also…depends on the mood i flip on these two.
Right now I am leaning towards Pearl Jam just because I am so sick of Nirvana, and their videos are WAY better than Nirvana's

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:08PM
machinehead at 5:21PM, Nov. 24, 2008
(online)
Never been a big pearl jam fan. So Nirvana all the way!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:49PM
ozoneocean at 6:34PM, Nov. 24, 2008
(online)
Nirvana always seemed a little too… unready to me. As if they'd been thrust into the bigtime before they'd finished their garage years.

Pearl Jam always seemed to know what they were doing, always a lot more accomplished and clever.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:32PM
Bradleyo at 1:51PM, Nov. 25, 2008
(online)
I own almost everything Pearl Jam releases, CD,s Bootlegs, DVD's
I've seen them live five times and even went to see Eddie Vedder on his solo tour last summer.
So Yeah, I'm probably going with Pearl Jam.

However, I also own everything Nirvana has released on CD, there is just something so perfectly
raw and simplistic about them.

Two very different and incredible bands, It would an even tougher question if Kurt and Nirvana was still around.

Very tough, but I'll have to say Pearl Jam.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:32AM
kingofsnake at 2:10PM, Nov. 25, 2008
(online)
… foo fighters?
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:16PM
Mushroomcomix at 8:46PM, Nov. 25, 2008
(offline)
kingofsnake
… foo fighters?

NO!
Tacster002 at 5:56AM, Nov. 26, 2008
(offline)
Soundgarden!

well honestly, I like pretty much an equal number of songs from Nirvana and Pearl Jam and like them both. but I like Soundgarden more than either of them.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:06PM
Mushroomcomix at 8:32PM, Nov. 26, 2008
(offline)
Tacster002
Soundgarden!

well honestly, I like pretty much an equal number of songs from Nirvana and Pearl Jam and like them both. but I like Soundgarden more than either of them.

Soundgarden was awesome! I miss them and Chris Cornell could not have done better than them. Audioslave was good. But after that he toured with Justin Timberlake which was terrible!!!!
ozoneocean at 8:52PM, Nov. 26, 2008
(online)
Mushroomcomix
Justin Timberlake
How can people consider this fool a pop star? That plastic tit is as bad as Robbie Williams: fake musicians for the little children to listen to.
I can't wait till those fo[s get to their lounge singer phase and start dressing in tuxedos with the bow tie undone, doing Sinatra covers…

Wankers.
—————–

I preferred the Stone Temple Pilots…

Aurora Borealis at 3:48AM, Nov. 27, 2008
(online)
Hmm, nirvana or pearl jam…

THE MELVINS :D

last edited on July 14, 2011 11:08AM
Ironscarfs Ghost at 3:49AM, Nov. 27, 2008
(offline)
Ozoneocean
I can't wait till those fo[s get to their lounge singer phase and start dressing in tuxedos with the bow tie undone, doing Sinatra covers…

Any fully paid up Sinatra covering tuxedo wearing bow tie undoing lounge singer would kick Timberlake's ass before throwing him off the boat in concrete footwear.
I believe Williams already tried this but he had to do arenas because no self respecting lounge would book him.
Er……..boo!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:03PM
DAJB at 7:55AM, Nov. 27, 2008
(online)
ozoneocean
Nirvana always seemed a little too… unready to me. As if they'd been thrust into the bigtime before they'd finished their garage years.
You're right, but I always felt that was part of their appeal.

For me, the US never really seemed to “get” punk in the Seventies. They produced bands like the Ramones and Blondie which were all good, fun, high energy pop but which simply didn't have the rawness or the spirit of rebellion or the anger or the social/political awareness of the British punk scene.

With Nirvana, I felt the U.S. finally got it. They might have relabelled it grunge but, in spirit, Nirvana was so much closer to the Sex Pistols than anything they'd produced previously. In many ways, yes, they were an “unready garage band”, but so were the Sex Pistols, the Clash and even the Jam when they broke onto the scene.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:03PM
Chernobog at 1:23PM, Nov. 27, 2008
(offline)
Nirvana! It's what really got me into exploring music. I'll go so far to say Kurt was my hero for a while. I liked the first Pearl Jam album, but each one sounded weaker and more whiney since that. That, and I find Eddie Vedder somewhat pretentious.

“You tell yourself to just
enjoy the process,” he added. “That whether you succeed or fail, win or
lose, it will be fine. You pretend to be Zen. You adopt detachment, and
ironic humor, while secretly praying for a miracle.”
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:41AM
NickGuy at 6:15PM, Nov. 28, 2008
(online)
Rage against the goddamn machine, SUCKAS.

“Kung Fu Komix IS…hardcore martial art action all the way. 8/10” -Harkovast
“Kung Fu Komix is that rare comic that is made with heart and love of the medium, and it delivers” -Zenstrive
“Kung Fu Komix is…so awesome” -threeeyeswurm
“Kung Fu Komix is..told with all the stupid exuberance of the genre it parodies” -The Real Macabre
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:15PM
Maxw3ll at 1:45PM, Nov. 29, 2008
(offline)
neither.

i second the Melvins, though.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:56PM
ozoneocean at 2:51PM, Nov. 29, 2008
(online)
I remember back when their first hit came out… Teen Spirit, It was played all over the place. I found it a bit too whiney. At the time I thought it was a bad attempt at heavy metal… With a whiney, querulous tone. And really, a lot of their stuff was like that.

I ignored them mostly until the band at my school did a loud performance of Smells Like Teen Spirit for the graduating students. I remember thinking, “why does he keep on calling himself a beetle?”
…It was only when I saw Tori Amos in concert touring Little Earthquakes that I learned the proper lyrics, because it was one of the extra songs she performed there- “my libido” doh! >.<

This girl I went to art college with was really obsessed with the. She was so upset when Cobain shot himself.

—————————————
DAJB
The Sex Pistols were “raw” alright… their formation was a bit like the Spice Girls, except the Pistols had even less tallent. But that's what made them good. :)

-The Clash were way better ^__^

json at 9:44PM, Nov. 29, 2008
(offline)
For me, the US never really seemed to “get” punk in the Seventies. They produced bands like the Ramones and Blondie which were all good, fun, high energy pop but which simply didn't have the rawness or the spirit of rebellion or the anger or the social/political awareness of the British punk scene.

With Nirvana, I felt the U.S. finally got it. They might have relabelled it grunge but, in spirit, Nirvana was so much closer to the Sex Pistols than anything they'd produced previously. In many ways, yes, they were an “unready garage band”, but so were the Sex Pistols, the Clash and even the Jam when they broke onto the scene.

**i broke the quote!! i suck!!**

as far as the “mainstream US” is concerned…..they certainly didn't “get” punk. even in 1995 when all the majors were looking for punk bands to sign their souls away, the labels were mostly looking to pop sounding very solid polished bands that would be easy to sell. one of my favorite quotes ever was from billie joe of green day during an interview on mtv. when he was asked how he felt about people calling his band a “punk band” he responded by saying, “if we were a punk band, you never would have heard of us.” punk has certainly been alive and well in the US for the last 30 years…..even with brief blips in the mainstream lime light. the underground scene has surprisingly lasted.

anyway…i think the raw jangled 3 chord mess of nirvana could be considered the US's final acceptance of what punk rock was/is.

as for picking a band between the 2…….back in 1992 i liked pearl jam more than nirvana. but i didn't really like either band that much, to be honest. i bought the cassettes for my walkman “back in the day” but in 92 i was listening to misfits, green day, minor threat, jawbreaker, and anthrax.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:11PM
patrickdevine at 1:35PM, Dec. 1, 2008
(online)
DAJB

In defense of US punk it did get a lot more political in the ‘80s with bands like Minor Threat.
I liked Nirvana for about the same reason that you did but also for the fact that they inspired other bands of that era and made the 90’s actually a pretty good decade for the underground music scene.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:41PM
lba at 2:17PM, Dec. 1, 2008
(online)
DAJB

The American music scene has historically almost always been less political than the British scene. But judging from the stories I've heard from my dad when he was in college getting kicked out of bars and whatnot, the Ramones still had much more of a rebellious, trouble causing side than a lot of people found out about. Most Americans seem to have a hard time understanding why the punk, ska and other subcultures are as extreme or eccentric as they are and we usually have to water it down for the biggest of the dopes out there which is what ends up on TV for outsiders to see. Americans do get punk rock pretty well in a sense, but you just don't ever get to see the bands that really show it, because they never get publicity.

As for my answer to the Pearl Jam/ Nirvana debate: Bush. They appeal to me much more for some reason. Even if critics just deride them as another Nirvana knock-off with better production work. :(
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:29PM
Mushroomcomix at 4:14PM, Dec. 1, 2008
(offline)
NickGuy

HERE HERE! NickGuy has the right idea, Rage rocks and that will never change!
Senior Citizens even know that Rage is the best band in the fuckin universe!

Sea_Cow at 1:10AM, Dec. 13, 2008
(offline)
Well, it seems Curt Cobain could not tell the difference between a bong and a shotgun, so Pearl Jam.

Also, may I interest you in some pre-Y2K Korn?
I am so happy to finally be back home
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:26PM
json at 1:00PM, Dec. 13, 2008
(offline)
lba
Americans do get punk rock pretty well in a sense, but you just don't ever get to see the bands that really show it, because they never get publicity.

YUP. i don't think i could have said it better myself. the punk underground in the US is still alive and well, and just as politically charged as ever. you can't judge the “scene” based off the crap you see on eMpTyV with all the boys wearing make up and sporting girls' haircuts whining and crying because they've got broken hearts and and their daddys didn't hug them enough. or bands like rancid and green day singing bubble gum happy songs about girls and crap. that shit sells records, and that's about it.

most of the US punks are still out making music and still being very political and socially aware. but you'll never hear about them on the radio, tv, or hot topic stores.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:11PM
Mushroomcomix at 6:45PM, Dec. 14, 2008
(offline)
Sea_Cow
Well, it seems Curt Cobain could not tell the difference between a bong and a shotgun, so Pearl Jam.

Heh! Kurt Nobrain….sorry in bad taste…

Pre Y2K Korn fucking rocked Sea Cow!! Now they are just like every other bad they play on the radio!
Sea_Cow at 8:14PM, Dec. 14, 2008
(offline)
Mushroomcomix
Sea_Cow

Heh! Kurt Nobrain….sorry in bad taste…

Pre Y2K Korn fucking rocked Sea Cow!! Now they are just like every other bad they play on the radio!

Jesus stole their awesome by converting Brian Welch.
I am so happy to finally be back home
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:26PM
Aghammer at 9:22PM, Dec. 14, 2008
(offline)
Always will be bro…

Mushroomcomix
NickGuy

HERE HERE! NickGuy has the right idea, Rage rocks and that will never change!
Senior Citizens even know that Rage is the best band in the fuckin universe!

last edited on July 14, 2011 10:47AM
YukiHana at 4:08PM, Dec. 17, 2008
(offline)
Oooo….tough decision….hmm I'm going to have to go with Nivana…mostly because I know more of their stuff and have been listening to them for a while…
“Criticizing is easy, art is difficult.” -Unknown
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:53PM
ozoneocean at 7:27PM, Dec. 17, 2008
(online)
json
most of the US punks are still out making music and still being very political and socially aware. but you'll never hear about them on the radio, tv, or hot topic stores.
But then both Nirvana and Pearl Jam are/were pop bands… So the pop potential of a band, be they “punk” or “grunge” or whatever is quite pertinent here :)

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:33PM
lucky7s76 at 7:17AM, Dec. 19, 2008
(offline)
I've been on the fence with it too… but I'm fine with that. It's possible to like both of ‘em equally. :) Of course… asking a kid from Seattle which is better is like asking an honest mother to pick a favorite among her children. |D

I’ve always liked Nirvana for their dark and kinda sinister lyrics. There isn't really a song on the whole Nevermind album I don't thoroughly enjoy… but after that, I can't seem to get into any of their other songs.

I really only like Ten from Pearl Jam. “Jeremy”, “Alive”, “Even Flow”… sadly, though, those are the only three I'll probably ever listen to. Eddie Vedder's got a voice that was tailored for slower songs, in my opinion. Plus their self-entitled album was just awful. :(

If I had to pick one thing better about Nirvana, it'd be that they disbanded after Cobain's death… so they can't get any worse, right? XD

But all in all… I'd take Alice in Chains, hands down. :)
By the time you finish this, you'll have read it. :3

deviantART
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:48PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved