Debate and Discussion

No earth to live no more for webcomic artists in 60 years?
oneminutecomics at 10:27AM, April 28, 2007
(offline)
I just stopped for a moment to think about the planet we live on.
I hope we're all aware about global warming caused mostly by humans since the industrial revolution. Anybody who's seen Al Gore's movie An INconvenient Truth saw what's happening with the glaciers and polar ice.

Daily we're sending out carbon dioxide in the air by using fuel based energy sources, these gases trap heat and make the atmosphere more dense thus trapping the heat in our earths atmosphere. We've seen the temperatures increasing on a yearly basis now, and even though I'm very happy with warmer summers, it's quite obvious that the earths blance is disrupted. Animals are already dying in our warmer oceans, and it won't be long before our turn will come..well there's already an increase in death by heat in summer, more virusses, hurricanes,…

I feel that we as webcomic artists have a power to communicate. Obviously we each target young readers every day so why not take the oppertunity to send out a message of awereness. If we all turn down our heating even 2 degrees in winter we'd seriously be decreasing the CO2 emissions going up in the atmosphere. Maybe it's a bit a deep subject, but hey…why not?

If anybody has any ideas how we can make people aware of natures problems or if you're already doing something to help. Share here.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:21PM
ReincarnatedParano at 12:34PM, April 28, 2007
(offline)
I do worry about the planet, myself. I study Geography, so I've had Global Warming and its effect ground into me and I am generally concerned. I do what I can - I turn my electronics off at night, turn off the tap when I don't need it, and I actually rejoiced when the local council gave each house in our street recycling boxes. They say that one person makes all the difference, but 10 would make even more.

It does still seems like a distant goal. You'd think more people would be concerned about something like this. I mean, it's the very ground we walk on.

But I like this idea. More stuff like Al Gore's movie and ‘The Day After Tomorrow’ need to be made. But that's not always going to hit the younger generation - the most important one so far, as they're the future and will either prevent or be a further catalyst for Global Warming.

I mean, my Geography classes have helped me to include some details about pollution prevention and other such things in my own comic… But it's not a direct message of ‘GLOBAL WARMING IS BAD, DO SOMETHING NOW.’

Which might be just what we need. So, I'm all for this!

Perhaps a webcomic about this subject could be made? It'll hit a selective generation, of course, but at least it'll still be taking affect.

Anyone else interested? If such a plan goes forward, I'll be there to help best I can.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:04PM
Aurora Moon at 3:34PM, April 28, 2007
(offline)
while I do think it's very important to be more aware about the effects we can have on the earth, and to conserve our energy as well to recycle…

I do have to say that we're not the sole responsible party for Global Warming. The Earth has been warming up and cooling down for eons. In fact I recall reading an scientific article that showed evidence of an global warming with the ozone layer that happened millions of years ago even before humans existed!

So while there is the possibility that we're actually speeding up what was an natural process, it would had happened sooner or later.

I do think it's still important to go ahead and try to put in an effort in being less harmful to our world though.. because even if the ozone layer thing is actually an natural process, it may lock in more than just heat… just think of all the pollution that we (humans and animals) would have to live with!
I'm on hitatus while I redo one of my webcomics. Be sure to check it out when I'n done! :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:10AM
Cthulhu at 6:04PM, April 28, 2007
(online)
Well, it's a very contraversal subject. If you cut a tree, and look at its rings, you can tell that there were times when the Earth heated up, very similer to it is now, and then cooled down again. The Day After Tomorrow had a unique perspective, saying that the world would just explode with storms, and power, than be back to normal. Now, that's pretty out there, but everything is possible. Just about every scientist has a differant theory, and no one knows what to agree on. Global Warming could be real, but there are many theories. We just gained this new technology, and hundreds of years ago, such as when the Earth was very cold at the times settlers came to the New World(Now called the United States of America)At that point, if they had our technology, they would have thought it was a new Ice Age.

So, I myself don't know whether Global Warming is real, or not, but hopefully, after you read my post, you won't jump the gun with this Global Warming stuff.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:55AM
Phantom Penguin at 6:35PM, April 28, 2007
(offline)
Awareness isn't the problem. Everyone knows about global warming by now. Its the fact that we (all us) would have to change the way we live. And no one wants to make changes to something that we havn't been directly effected by yet.

Using webcomics to spread awareness. Gore made a award winning movie about it. If that doesn't get people moving I don't think we will.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:42PM
Cthulhu at 6:48PM, April 28, 2007
(online)
Penguin, I don't belive you read my whole comment.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:55AM
Hijuda at 6:52PM, April 28, 2007
(offline)
Phantom Penguin
Using webcomics to spread awareness. Gore made a award winning movie about it. If that doesn't get people moving I don't think we will.

Well, the thing about the movie was that Gore made it. He's a politician- not a scientist or a doctor. Moreover, he's a Democrat, meaning that a good few stupid people (read: hardcore republicans) will automatically believe he's outright lying to get publicity, or some shit. I do believe it was a very information movie, however.
It's a comic!

LOLOL LAMFAO
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:48PM
SpANG at 7:30PM, April 28, 2007
(online)
Yes, the ‘debate’ goes on. Although the group of people claiming that global warming doesn't exist are getting smaller and smaller by the day. I remember that Penn & Teller did a BULLSHIT episode on it, only for Penn to admit that it actually does exist on his radio show. In fact, most people believe it now, but they just use different terms like “global climate change” like that's any better.

It certainly seems to me that if you want to look into the opponents of global warming, you just need to look as far as their pay checks go. There will always be pundits that counterpoint just about anything. Get you facts straight by doing research and never, ever, take any ‘expert’ at face value.

That said, the Al Gore movie, although probably mostly factual, was also at least a little sensationalist. But for those that saw it, it woke them up about the problem, at least a bit. You need to scare Americans into doing anything lately. :/

I think it's great that you want to make your voice heard, and your concerns noted. I'm very proud of anyone that does that. Web comics are a good place to start. Other small ways you can help the environment:

- Drive a more fuel efficient car, and not only save yourself some money, but reduce emissions in the air AND reduce the country's dependence on foreign oil.

- Recycle whatever and whenever you can. There are some arguments that it costs the same or more to recycle than to “just make new ones”, but those arguments never take into account the RESOURCES/RAW MATERIAL that is saved by doing so.

- Take a bath once at least once a week rather than a shower. Showers waste gallons of water. That water we all save can reduce the work that the processing plants have to do to make the water clean again. Don't pee in it though! Yuck!

- Plant a tree. Trees take in carbon dioxide and release oxygen back into the air. That's win, win!

- Turn off stuff when you leave the room. Most electrical plants run on, believe it or not, coal. That produces metric TONS of smoke into the air EVERY DAY, In just about EVERY CITY. The less energy you consume, the less the electrical plants have to run to keep up with the demand. Oh, and buy some of those efficient compact fluorescent bulbs too. They will save you money in the long run, and they use less electricity!

- Use a cloth shopping bag. Sounds silly but you can use them over and over again. They are a great idea. If you can't, recycle the bags at least.

I'm sure there are things too. ;)
“To a rational mind, nothing is inexplicable. Only unexplained.”
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:52PM
reconjsh at 8:41PM, April 28, 2007
(online)
My wife and I recently made a lot of those changes in our daily life, Spang. We don't have much recycling up here in boondocks Michigan, so we can only do so much with that though.

Some other suggestions:
* use cloth napkins.
* make an effort to use less TP when cleaning your bung
* use cloth towels instead of paper towels for cleaning.
* replace your fuel filter, spark plugs, PCV valve, and O2 sensor in your car regularly to ensure the best fuel efficiency as well as maintaining your tires/tire pressure.
* use the lowest octane fuel necessary for your car.
* don't run the water constantly when you shave and brush your teeth.
* Off but plugged in appliances still draw a lot of electricity. Unplug appliances when not using them… get a “Green” power strip if necessary for one-button shut off of larger sets of appliances like your computer or entertainment center. They're the same price as regular strips but don't draw excess energy for appliances that aren't on.

I don't really care if humanity's impact on global warming is “still out for debate”. There's a good amount of evidence to suggest that it's real (I'd say enough to say it's a fact) so it's better for us all to error on the side of caution, right?

It's better to reduce our emissions and change our lifestyles and have it all be wrong than for the Earth to be ruined (faster) due to our lack of action.

Besides “saving the Earth”, being “Green” is actually a cheaper lifestyle. Seriously. And the lifestyle is simpler… something I find rewarding in its own right.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:02PM
marine at 2:31AM, April 29, 2007
(offline)
What if you're Pro-Global Warming? What choices and options do I have?
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:52PM
Hijuda at 8:05AM, April 29, 2007
(offline)
marine

Eat babies.
It's a comic!

LOLOL LAMFAO
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:48PM
reconjsh at 8:28AM, April 29, 2007
(online)
Also, call your Power company and ask for an “energy audit”. They'll go through and tell you all the things you can do to save energy in your house.

Other things to do:
* Turn your water heater temperature down to the proper setting (I think it's like 120 or 140 F). They're usually set much too high.
* Do your laundry on the Cold setting with the water level set to Low.
* Hang dry laundry when possible. Dryers use a lot of energy.
deletedbyrequest03 at 8:53AM, April 29, 2007
(offline)
I don't really worry about the earth getting destroyed. If it's the way it's gotta be, it's the way it's gunna be.

reconjsh took some of my ideas.

And also, I think house fires are bad for the atmosphere. That's because all the smoke from everything can make a toxic mess. It's not like you can stop a house fire, but watch for that stuff. If you have a fireplace in your library room/living room/family room, don't use it as much in the winter. Even so, don't turn your heat up. Just take out a couple of blankets. I've done it.

This year, school's full of BS!!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:05PM
usedbooks at 8:56AM, April 29, 2007
(online)
Hijuda
marine
Eat babies.
What a modest proposal…

Actually, wouldn't that help reduce Global Warming? Less babies = less people. Oh, and it would cut back on agriculture, which also contributes to global warming.

Now slogan. “Eat babies. Help stop global warming.”
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:36PM
Phantom Penguin at 9:00AM, April 29, 2007
(offline)
Hijuda
Phantom Penguin

Well, the thing about the movie was that Gore made it. He's a politician- not a scientist or a doctor. Moreover, he's a Democrat, meaning that a good few stupid people (read: hardcore republicans) will automatically believe he's outright lying to get publicity, or some shit. I do believe it was a very information movie, however.

Well no matter who you are you shouldn't walk out of anything thinking “wow that told me the whole story” because everyone has their own angles. But as long as they sit down and watch it, its makes them aware even if they think its total bullshit.
Phantom Penguin at 9:00AM, April 29, 2007
(offline)
Cthulhu
Penguin, I don't belive you read my whole comment.

I did.
maritalbliss at 11:56AM, April 29, 2007
(online)
There is no question (in my mind anyway) that ice caps are meltin'.
Species are going extinct.
Are humans to blame?
I honesly feel it's just the evolution of our planet. Earth will continue long after we are all worm food. Sure, it will be uninhabital for our greatest grandchildren's whippersnappers, but by then maybe technology will catch up and the human race will continue, probably using all the resources on whatever planet we try to claim until we use it all up, then we'll just move on like the scavengers we are.
I don't feel like there is much we can do to stop “Global Warming.” (Without intense Gov't interaction, which I'm defin. not on-board with.)

I could babble about this all day…So, I am choosing to go play (I am addicted to Cowboys and Aliens…) Heck, might be good trainin'.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:53PM
ccs1989 at 1:58PM, April 29, 2007
(online)
Yeah, I'm worried about the environment, but the problem is I just can't convince enough people to take it seriously. I have friends who are hardcore Republicans who just don't agree that global warming is caused by humans. No matter what you tell certain people, they can just choose to ignore it. It's aggrivating beyond belief. Especially when they're smart, but their mentality just refuses to accept certain “liberal” facts.

However I don't see how global warming could “kill” earth. Earth has been through much higher temperatures than this, and much colder temperatures. One environmental model predicts that this warming will reverse or stop currents plunging Earth into another Ice Age. I suppose it could happen. But then Earth would gradually heat up again, and then stay at a good temperature for some thousands of years, then maybe go through another cycle. This will continue untill the sun dies and then…well THEN the Earth will die.

However humanity won't go on forever. There were pleanty of other species that came before us, such as dinosaurs, neanderthals, etc. If global warming kills humans it won't kill life on earth. The only way I could see most of the life on earth dying is if humans start wars for resources and use a ton of atomic weapons in the next 200 years to get diminishing resources. That could definitely do some major damage to life.
http://ccs1989.deviantart.com

“If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.”
-Henry David Thoreau, Walden
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:38AM
nighthawk41 at 3:39PM, April 30, 2007
(online)
I'm not really worried. Chances are the temperatures are just going to fall again. Also, it was indeed warmer in the middle ages than it is now.
http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q258/nighthawk41/BodomBeachTerrorsig.png Edited by Admin.
Please make your sig either 250 x 100 or 468 x 60 pixels. Thankyou.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:16PM
ccs1989 at 4:12PM, April 30, 2007
(online)
nighthawk41
I'm not really worried. Chances are the temperatures are just going to fall again. Also, it was indeed warmer in the middle ages than it is now.

That's not what the scientific evidence predicts.
http://ccs1989.deviantart.com

“If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.”
-Henry David Thoreau, Walden
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:38AM
kyupol at 6:06PM, April 30, 2007
(offline)
60 years from now, there is 95% chance that I wont be alive anymore.

Maybe by that time, we have discovered a new planet where the human race can start a new civilization. And we'd be moving there little by little. Until the earth finally dies out and turns into another red planet because of global warming. :)
NOW UPDATING!!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:25PM
Vagabond at 6:17PM, May 1, 2007
(online)
People who won't believe in global warming for whatever inane reasons make me sad.

In the next 90 degress, average temperature is supposed to raise by 7 degrees Celsius. For the Americans who didn't learn their conversion rate (9/5x, or 9/5x + 32 if you're going for the full temperature to temperature, fyi : D), that's roughly 13 degrees hotter. In areas that are just barely freezing nowadays, this will end badly as that water has to go somewhere.

And, just because it's funny how nature follows these crazy rules… “what goes up must come down.” After it gets too hot, it'll get too cold. Even though that will be a problem that our great, great great (times whatever number you want) would have to deal with, an Ice Age is never a pretty thing.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:38PM
subcultured at 9:29PM, May 1, 2007
(online)
I'm sorry, but it's been known that the oil companies had created groups of people to suppress or dissociate the knowledge of global warming. the major conspiracy is that people down played global warming for a long time to make a lot of money polluting the atmosphere, and now we are paying for it.

http://www.commondreams.org/headlines03/0528-10.htm
Someone
Exxon's backing of third-party groups is a marked contrast to its more public role in the Global Climate Coalition, an industry group formed in 1989 to challenge the science around global warming. The group eventually disbanded when oil and auto companies started to withdraw. As companies were left to walk their own path, Exxon shifted money toward independent policy groups.

Critics say that Exxon and these groups continue to muddle the debate even as scientific consensus has emerged, and as much of the industry has taken a more conciliatory stance toward the reality of global warming. As Exxon has become isolated from its peers, it has faced increasing pressure from shareholders and environmentalists. BP, Shell and ChevronTexaco have developed strategies that incorporate renewable energy, carbon trading and emissions reductions.

People are causing the change by burning coal, oil and natural gas causing CO2 build up. CO2 traps the Sun's radiation within the troposphere causing global warming. Recent research suggests that natural CO2 “sinks”, like peat bogs and forests, are actually starting to release CO2. this FACT has been known for a century now, and still little action has been done to prevent it. they always think the next generation will figure it out. well, it's endgame. we ARE that generation.

Let this be the common enemy that rallies the world into cooperation.
one nation cutting pollution is not gonna stop global warming, all the industrail nations must find ways to do it.

global warming won't kill earth, but it will make it inhabitable for the current species. afterall there were times when the earth was wiped out of all life except for 10%…then it started again. altered life, but still life.
J
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:02PM
reconjsh at 11:15AM, May 2, 2007
(online)
Well, hopefully I'll be dead when everything goes to muck. Until then, go go gadget SUV!
shaneronzio at 12:00PM, May 12, 2007
(online)
I love how these politicians fly around in the private jets and make multiple stops to talk down to us about How we people in our big bad cars made the hole in the sky.

Here is the Deal.

After WWII Russia and the U.S. and the rest of the nuke club set off over 1000 various types of Nuclear bombs from Hiroshima increasing in size until czar bomba …the 40 Megaton beast that was set off by the Russians.

Many of these tests were done…
IN THE UPPER ATMOSPHERE!

Connect the dots.

So…the can of hairspray, your supersize S.U.V. And your styrophoam cup equal a flea fart in comparison to ONE Small Nuclear Detonation.

However…THIS INCONVENIENT TRUTH Points the finger back to where it belongs…at the over paranoid Governments that are all part of Corporate Conglomerants that Rule the world and are all eating the world like a big pie…and YOU are the filling.

Earth has had radical changes since the dawn of time, it is nothing new and my only advice is Don't get too comfy.

Have a nice day.

Current Project:CROSS WORLDS NEXUS
Updates Monday, Wenzday & FRIDAY
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:32PM
mlai at 3:44PM, May 13, 2007
(online)
Someone
Use Exxon products in preference to all others. And make your next car a SUV.

Anti-Global Warming Tip #37:
Add 3 fl. oz. (or 90mL) of 100% pure acetone to every 10 gallons of gasoline.

FIGHT current chapter: Filling In The Gaps
FIGHT_2 current chapter: Light Years of Gold
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:05PM
endlessbouncing at 6:19PM, May 14, 2007
(offline)
I think if we all make a comic on the subject to be released on July 6, as I have done, we could make a difference.

Or at least we'd all know what we were doing for July 6 :S
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:22PM
Phantom Penguin at 2:56AM, May 15, 2007
(offline)
reconjsh
Well, hopefully I'll be dead when everything goes to muck. Until then, go go gadget SUV!

Amen to that!
ozoneocean at 4:06AM, May 15, 2007
(online)
The biggest problem with this issue is shere ignorance and lack of basic scietific understanding.
shaneronzio
So…the can of hairspray, your supersize S.U.V. And your styrophoam cup equal a flea fart in comparison to ONE Small Nuclear Detonation.
You're not realising what those explosions produce. The kind of pollutants you're talking about with foam cups and hair spray are chlorofluorocarbons, these become unstable in the high upper atmosphere and start to attack the ozone there which normally block ultra violet radiation. Once that's gone, this harmful radiation can more easily reach the earth's surface. This can lead to anything from increased instance of skin cancer in large creatures, to exterminations of small organisms like zoo plankton. If that happens it severely affects the foodchain in our oceans with disastrous knock on effects.

What your “SUV” or large engined four wheel drive vehicle produces are pollutants like carbon dioxide, nitrogen dioxide, carbon monoxide and ozone. If it uses diesel rather than normal petrol (or “gasoline” as you call it in the US), then I think it produces more ozone and nitrogen dioxide and less carbon dioxide -these are more harmful to humans and the surface environment of the earth. (If only that ozone could be shipped up to the ozone layer eh? ;))
Carbon dioxide in the upper atmosphere helps to absorb and trap in heat radiation from the sun. That's the problem with it.

Nuclear blasts don't produce those kinds of products. What they do produce depends on what they're made off and whether the blast is fusion of fission. The harmful products are radioactive material from the warheads and destroyed material (dust etc) that the blasts create and spread. But with the way the blasts work you'd call them “green” funnily enough because they DON'T produce any carbon dioxide, it's all hydrogen and oxygen atoms… water. In fact, if it wasn't for the radioactivity and the searing blast, those explosions would be GOOD for the environment! lol!
-at least at a high elevation they don't burn anything on the surface in the blast, therefore no carbon.

But it's complicated… In the end, cutting back on consumer consumption like big engined vehicles and being more responsible with the use of home electricity are tiny little prices to pay.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:27PM
shaneronzio at 3:25PM, May 15, 2007
(online)
ozoneocean
The biggest problem with this issue is shere ignorance and lack of basic scietific understanding.

Well, at least we both agree on that.

Current Project:CROSS WORLDS NEXUS
Updates Monday, Wenzday & FRIDAY
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:32PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved