Media Megaforum

No Ordinary Family
DAJB at 2:16AM, May 20, 2011
(online)
Is anyone watching this? What are people's thoughts?

I only discovered it recently and I have mixed feelings. It's not bad, but it doesn't seem to know what it wants to be. Most of the time it walks a thin line between a sitcom (in the vein of The Incredibles) and a drama (like the early days of Heroes) and, as a result, it ends up being neither. I suppose it could be described as a kind of superhero-themed soap …

Any thoughts?
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:04PM
Genejoke at 2:30AM, May 20, 2011
(online)
I haven't seen it and was going to check it out, but as it has been axed i probably won't now.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:34PM
ozoneocean at 9:03AM, May 20, 2011
(online)
I actually watched TV on the TV the other night and saw a million ads for that show. Looked like yet another “real people with super powers” show… And whaddaya know they nicked their powers from all the classic superheroes, there's the mum wit super speed, the super strong dad etc. with lots of digital special effects.

Makes me miss classic batman with Adam West :(

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:38PM
Walrus at 7:27PM, May 20, 2011
(online)
I tried watching the show a while ago, I could not stand it after about 10 minutes and immediately changed the channel. So full of superhero cliches and generic “family drama”.

last edited on July 14, 2011 4:45PM
isukun at 4:09AM, May 21, 2011
(online)
My roommate did some work on one of the episodes, so I watched a few when it started airing, but I couldn't really get into it. I think this genre may be played out at this point. They either need to drop it or find something to make it more unique and interesting, again.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:05PM
ozoneocean at 4:40AM, May 21, 2011
(online)
isukun
They either need to drop it or find something to make it more unique and interesting, again.
Well that started that originally by making superheros real people… Then they got rid of the costumes… Now it's a family of “real people” with no costumes…

But they're still not really real people because they have impossible fantasy abilities, so maybe they could work on that aspect and actually provide real explanations (not the usual superhero comic explanations) for those abilities and how they work- create a universe it could actually be logical for those abilities to exist-
For example; Super-speed for a person is physically impossible as is super strength. A human body has a very limited range and ability just because of its inherent mass and how much energy it's possible for body tissue to store and how fast it can convert that energy into power etc.

That's overly technical, I know, but it provided background for what I'm getting at. So for a universe where those things are possible you either need people using super-hightech technology that allows them to manipulate space/time/gravity in small areas (that ability would allow you to have all the super powers), or one that justifies magic/spirituality or whatever so god-like god-given type powers have a real context and a logical reason for being- and other people would have a real reaction to them as well, not “oh wow, super power”…

I know that typically part of the novelty of the super power idea is that it's an extreme anomaly in that dramatic society, but I think the novelty of that scenario has pretty much worn off by now.

———–

In the end I suppose that's the main issue- you take away the costumes and all the other traditional superhero palaver that typically helps you forget the inherent impossibility of a person with a superpower… and all you're left with is that impossibility, with no real context or logic.
The suspension of belief is many magnitudes higher than for a normal TV show scenario, be it drama, sitcom, Fantasy or Scifi, and people still don't have too much of a problem with it, but I think THAT aspect would still be one worth exploring more.

———–

Tl;dr- Create a universe were powers are really logical and don't forget to show how they affect all the rest of the people who don't have them. (and not in a banal X-men way, that NOT what I mean)

…My idea still sounds stale and boring even to me.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:38PM
blindsk at 12:26PM, May 21, 2011
(online)
I watched an episode simply because it featured Julie Benz…but even she wasn't enough to bring interest to a very dull series.

I only watched one, but if you're going to have a superhero movie, at least throw in an overarching nemesis! Maybe that developed later, but it certainly didn't show up in the episode that I watched.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:25AM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved