Media Megaforum

Now PVP and CAD Both Have Animated Series?! What the Heck?
ccs1989 at 3:37PM, Nov. 28, 2006
(online)
I guess there's something about seeing one's characters animated that makes people really want to make their comics go into animation, but did you guys know that now PVP, the fairly popular webcomic by Scott Kurtz, is getting an animated series? Yeah, I know. CAD also has an animated series. You can see the trailer for the PVP one at the site www.pvponline.com and the CAD one at http://www.cad-premium.com/QT_small.php

So what do you guys think about this? Both series are animated by the same company, and require subscriptions of about $20-$30 a year. They give you 12 installments of around 4 minute episodes. That's not very much per month, and although $20 isn't all that much, is it really worth it?

As I footnote, I want to point out that I think it's really cool that animated series are being produced by popular webcomic creators, but that for some reason the animation on the PVP one looks worse than many flash animations. Weird…
http://ccs1989.deviantart.com

“If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.”
-Henry David Thoreau, Walden
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:38AM
isukun at 5:23PM, Nov. 28, 2006
(online)
Looks like they're both simple flash animated shorts that they're selling for more than they're worth. It seems more like the company that's animating them is trying to find a way to sell their animation through non-traditional means and they're hoping name recognition will give them a bit of a boost in an otherwise pretty slow market. Now if they were getting animated series on TV, that would be different.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:03PM
Rich at 5:35PM, Nov. 28, 2006
(online)
I don't care for either of those comics (Penny Arcade is the only gamer comic that doesn't make me wanna vomit), so I doubt I'd pay for those.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:07PM
Hawk at 7:07PM, Nov. 28, 2006
(online)
I watched the teaser for the PvP cartoon. Honestly, it didn't seem funny at all. Maybe it would have been if I read the comics, but it just didn't give me the impression that it was worth paying for. But I guess it's interesting that these guys are trying online cartoons. Maybe they'll end up being better than we think.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:45PM
Inkmonkey at 7:59PM, Nov. 28, 2006
(online)
I saw some of both, and I have to say that I thought the PVP one was much better. As I've stopped reading PVP for about a year now (it just lost my interest) as well as CAD (same story), so I'm not about to pay for something like this, but I say more power to them.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:59PM
Gregory at 10:30PM, Nov. 28, 2006
(online)
Did you ever watch the Blamimations at PvP? I thought those were hillarious. When it's just Scott and Chris messing around, I think it's great. The whole series, what with an animation team and all, seems to limit their ability to just mess around like they did with the Blamimations.

The outtakes were great.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:39PM
kingofsnake at 8:34AM, Nov. 29, 2006
(online)
I've wanted to animate my characters since day one. But I just dont have the means. This honestly may be something I look into, if I can get a script down that I feel is worthwhile. research is needed i say
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:15PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved