Media Megaforum

Now that Cowboys & Aliens is going to be a film what actors would you pick?
MrGranger at 7:35AM, June 22, 2007
(online)
Congrats to all on getting a film deal for Cowboys & Aliens! Can't wait to see it.

So who would you pick to play the main characters?
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:08PM
ozoneocean at 8:13AM, June 22, 2007
(online)
Owen Wilson could be the main blonde cowboy guy. :)
I've read my copy of C&A and he really reminds me of Owen, but maybe a little nastier.

Wow, a movie deal? That's pretty amazing ^_^ C&A could prolly get to Number 1 comic at DD with the interest that'll cause o_O Amazing. Heh, C&A could be a good prequel to Men in Black.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:27PM
MrGranger at 8:30AM, June 22, 2007
(online)
ozoneocean
Wow, a movie deal? That's pretty amazing ^_^ C&A could prolly get to Number 1 comic at DD with the interest that'll cause o_O Amazing. Heh, C&A could be a good prequel to Men in Black.

I would think. After I posted it I was afraid that it was some inside info I wasn't supposed to say. Not that I'm “inside” at all, but sometimes I overhear stuff by accident. That happens when you live near all the deal makers.

But I found the release….whew I'm safe!

“ Cowboys & Aliens Movie Due

DreamWorks and Universal Pictures will join to turn the graphic novel Cowboys & Aliens into a live-action feature film, Variety reported.

Imagine partners Brian Grazer and Ron Howard will produce, along with Platinum Studios chairman-chief executive Scott Mitchell Rosenberg and Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci. Ervin Rustemagic and Rich Marincic co-produce. The script will be written by Mark Fergus and Hawk Ostby.
ozoneocean at 8:51AM, June 22, 2007
(online)
Yep, at this rate they're headed for #1 spot! :)

I did a search for “Cowboys & Aliens Movie” on Google and it's pretty popular news! Wow o-O
It's GREAT that they've been able to actually get the movie deal to go through and happen, but we shouldn't be too surpirsed- ie. it's not completely “out of the blue”: the story was written with this kind of thing in mind (it's that sort of story), and it would have had some heavy backing and hard work by Plat to get this deal for it. Congrats and congrats! Hopefully it'll be a big success and some of that will increase the profile of Platinum and maybe even DD. That would be wonderful! ^_^

LIZARD_B1TE at 9:54AM, June 22, 2007
(online)
ozoneocean
Hopefully it'll be a big success and some of that will increase the profile of Platinum and maybe even DD. That would be wonderful! ^_^

*sigh* DD is turning from a small rural village into a big city…

lol!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:37PM
maritalbliss at 12:40PM, June 22, 2007
(offline)
Heck, I wanna' be Verity. I work with horses on a daily basis, I can act! (Oh, if wishes were horses.)
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:53PM
mlai at 1:33PM, June 22, 2007
(online)
What exactly is Platinum Studios, Inc., in its relation to DD?

I did a brief online check on PS… it seems it's an up-and-coming comics house? After all, KISS signed up for them to do a comic on KISS.

Now I just noticed this on the bottom of the DD webpage:

Copyright © 2006. Platinum Studios, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

What does this mean? Is DD now affiliated with PS? Owned by PS? How and when did this happen? Who were the major players who made this happen?

FIGHT current chapter: Filling In The Gaps
FIGHT_2 current chapter: Light Years of Gold
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:05PM
LIZARD_B1TE at 1:34PM, June 22, 2007
(online)
mlai
What does this mean? Is DD now affiliated with PS? Owned by PS? How and when did this happen? Who were the major players who made this happen?

…Platnium bought Drunk Duck months ago.
MrGranger at 4:17PM, June 22, 2007
(online)
Um…you're being funny? Doesn't everyone know about Platinum owning DD by now? It's everywhere on the site.
mlai at 4:39PM, June 22, 2007
(online)
I was here back when Volte6 ran DD on his own computers. I wasn't here when PS bought DD.

So what happens when you put your comics on DD? Is it owned by PS, for it to use at its pleasure?

If PS decides to get rid of the free online comics hosting by tomorrow, it can do it, right?

Know what? Just refer me to the old thread where all this is discussed. I'm sure there was a fitstorm in DD at the time this originally happened.

LIZARD_B1TE at 5:03PM, June 22, 2007
(online)
mlai
Know what? Just refer me to the old thread where all this is discussed. I'm sure there was a fitstorm in DD at the time this originally happened.

You have no idea.

You still have rights to all your comics. Unless you sign a legally binding contract with Platnium selling the comic to them, it's all yours.
mlai at 8:06PM, June 22, 2007
(online)
There must be something everyone already discussed before and settled, but that I'm still not cognizant of.

PS is a business. That means, its purpose is to make money. Sell comic books, yeah. To make money.

Why would it buy DD? What's its goal? The little ads at the top and the small fees SOME artists elect to pay cannot possibly be worth the trouble of maintaining enough server space for the gazillion comics currently hosted.

Using a free webcomics gathering site in order to draw visits to its own online comics? Doesn't happen when said site is under a deluge of a gazillion titles unrelated to PS.

So why did it buy DD?

ozoneocean at 9:09PM, June 22, 2007
(online)
No artists here pay any fees to DD or PS.

Why did they buy it? Well it's a good way to get an audience for projects they put out like Hero by night, Kiss, or C&A. And they probably see the web as the future of comics, especially with networking communities being as popular as they are now (Myspace etc. etc.) so decided to get in on the ground floor so to speak on a pretty successful web comic community… I'm not 100% sure about the other comic communities, but DD seems like the best out there. ComicGen is probably the most popular host, but not nearly as good a community, Smakcjeeves, still seems to have issues and I don't know much about the rest. But the attractive thing about DD was most likely the healthy online community!

In business not everything is about straight out profit and loss, and earning potential. Sometimes you have to lay out cash for ideas that might pay off in future. Investments if you will. And I'm sure DD didn't cost a huge amount at the time.

If you dig through General Discussion I'm sure you'll find the right posts…
-edit-
There's an interview that might be interesting to you here Mlai.

mlai at 7:16AM, June 25, 2007
(online)
Back when volte6 owned DD, he charged small voluntary fees for Platinum Status. My co-artist paid that for a while. So that's not done anymore?

Aren't Buzzcomics (or whatever that's called) etc bigger/older than DD?

I'm attracted to DD mainly because of it being free and its ease of use.

ozoneocean at 8:10AM, June 25, 2007
(online)
I paid for that too back when we could. We got roll-over descriptions and the sponsor front page links didn't we? That was great! :)
Nope, that system hasn't been around since the last part of 2005 when DD went south…

Buzzcomics aren't what DD is. Buzz is more like TopWebComics etc. It's a forum and a vote list. It started dying off ages ago! Didn't you know? Yeah, it was sad to see it happen… They limped back online again but the forums were deserted. I haven't been around there lately, but I was posting quite a bit a while ago and there was almost no one left anymore, just a very few hardcore people, perhaps less than 15 or maybe 9? And a lot of spammers promising images of Paris Hilton's pudenda.

Eh, I might try to go back again and post around a bit but I've been busy with Admin stuff here…

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved