Media Megaforum

Now that the History Channel's "Ice Road Truckers" has finished its run, what did you think?
Lonnehart at 6:15PM, Aug. 22, 2007
(online)
I admit it. I'm impressed. That has to be one of the hardest jobs to have. Driving over a lake that's 30-40 inches thick while hauling a lot of tons, and it's freezing to boot!

I can't bring myself to feel sorry for the guy called “The Polar Bear”, even though he got sideswiped in the final episode. He apparently didn't keep up the maintanence on his other trucks besides the one he was driving.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:38PM
SpANG at 12:03PM, Aug. 23, 2007
(online)
I saw the first episode. I thought it was really interesting. But I can't see how they made a whole season out of that.

after episode one:
Yes, I get it. You are driving on ice, and it's dangerous.
“To a rational mind, nothing is inexplicable. Only unexplained.”
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:52PM
marine at 1:36PM, Aug. 23, 2007
(offline)
I got one of the latter episodes. It was dangerous and an interesting job, but how is it a series? They tried to put in some drama in flashbacks on the episode I caught showing one guy whose heater broke quit, but who cares?

Human Weapon, now thats a good new history channel show.

I like a lot of the stuff thats on the history channel. The 300 Spartans special had me interested for the full two hours or three hours it dragged on.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:52PM
lefarce at 8:12PM, Aug. 24, 2007
(online)
I pretty much agree with all the posts in this thread. I caught an episode, but I just don't see how this can be dragged out for a whole season. My only other complaint is the over dramatic ways the spaz the camera out when something very minor happens.

It's like the shaky cam in movies. What the hell kind of perspective am I supposed to get?

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:31PM
Whirlwynd at 12:13PM, Aug. 27, 2007
(online)
I watched a few episodes. I liked it myself. Probably because I can look at the ice roads, and then look at the ice-covered roads in Wisconsin January and think “At least I have concrete under all this” XD

I agree with lefarce, though, the camera spazzing annoyed me. They tried to make it into a reality show when it really seemed more like a documentary. =\ Cheap camera tricks are an irritating trend on prime-time TV these days -
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:48PM
marine at 5:47PM, Aug. 27, 2007
(offline)
It seems its not completely over, much like comic books crossover events, there are a ton of related programs being released. They had a thing on last night about the first Ice Truckers, and I was watching Wild West stuff this morning and they showed a preview for the next special: a reunion of the ice truckers. Even though, from what I saw they never really knew each other. That was kind of the point of it, wasn't it? That they were all alone on the ice.

I watched an awesome special about the Spanish Inquisition on the History channel this morning, it was ten times as interesting as boring old Ice Truckers.

Three chairs for the history channel!
lefarce at 6:20PM, Aug. 27, 2007
(online)
Honestly I only care for mythbusters, and even then 60% of the cast pisses me off (boring white dude, worthless red haired chick and that Asian dude). I am, however, looking forward to their Super Hero themed episode in which they claim they're recreating aspects of the Batmobile. That should be interesting at the very least.

History Channel is alright. I love history so it entertains me, but it gets old pretty quick.

SpANG at 7:04AM, Aug. 28, 2007
(online)
marine
I watched an awesome special about the Spanish Inquisition on the History channel this morning, it was ten times as interesting as boring old Ice Truckers.
NOBODY EXPECTS THE SPANISH INQUISITION

… To be interesting!

Its chief weapon is surprise!
“To a rational mind, nothing is inexplicable. Only unexplained.”
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:52PM
marine at 6:19PM, Aug. 28, 2007
(offline)
SpANG
marine
NOBODY EXPECTS THE SPANISH INQUISITION

… To be interesting!

Its chief weapon is surprise!

and FEAR!

Our chief weapons are suprise and fear, and an undying devotion to the pope are our THREE weapons!

Dorking out to Monty Python aside, Mythbusters isn't on the History channel, its over on Discovery.
lefarce at 6:45PM, Aug. 28, 2007
(online)
I don't even know anymore. History, Dicovery and Animal Planet have just merged into one throbbing mass of edutainment for me. Same reason I can't tell Nick apart from Cartoon Network.

Terminal at 8:37PM, Aug. 28, 2007
(online)
lefarce
(boring white dude, worthless red haired chick and that Asian dude).

Asian dude is cool. Needs more screentime and less time in background.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:12PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved