Random Discussion

Now that's fine eating.
Product Placement at 7:21AM, April 7, 2008
(online)
A British web-journalist named Fraser Lewry had the questionable honor of participating in an anual Icelantic food festival that takes place between late-january and early-febuary called Thorri. I am posting his review that greatly amused me but before you read it, let me tell you a little about it's origin.

Originaly the start of Thorri was not a time of jubilation. Thorri, meaning “the harshest month” was the start of the time period when Icelanders normaly starved to death.

During fall, farmers spent most of their time preparing for the winter. The problem with preparing food for storage was that it would only last so long. The food had to last from fall to spring and depending on when it's made until it's eaten, that could be 3-4 months even half a year. With the absence of refrigerator technology, original ideas to preserve food for later consumption had to be thought up.

Salting the meat and fish and/or drying it was a common practice but that alone was often not enough. The food that you'll read now is some of the more…. interesting ways Icelander thought of to preserve their food. Even if it looks like that you'll most likely get sick from eating this, it actually kept the food safe from infections and its storage life was increased greatly. Because of that, this particular food was saved untill it last and thus gained the title Thorri-food.

Today, eating this food is totally unnecessary but still we eat it. Not because it's healthy, far from because it's good, but because we honor those before us, who had to.

Well.. anyways. Enjoy the mouth watering article.

http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/food/2008/03/thorrablot.html
Those were my two cents.
If you have any other questions, please deposit a quarter.
This space for rent.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:49PM
ozoneocean at 8:18AM, April 7, 2008
(online)
Harðfiskur sounds nice actually. Dried fish covered in butter, YUM. ^_^

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:30PM
Product Placement at 9:00AM, April 7, 2008
(online)
The best way to describe that is kinda like fish jerky.

The fish is sun dried outside for months. Here's a picture of the process.

Also a bit more mass produced picture.

Those were my two cents.
This space for rent.
ozoneocean at 9:40AM, April 7, 2008
(online)
It looks nasty, but I'd still most definitely try it. :)
Not that rotten shark stuff or any of the rest though.

Product Placement at 10:47AM, April 7, 2008
(online)
But it looks so yummy.

An image too gross for Oz!
Those were my two cents.
This space for rent.
ozoneocean at 10:58AM, April 7, 2008
(online)
Yech!

That last pic of hacked off sheep's heads might be food, but it's past the bounds of the forum rules. Sorry man. Please link to it instead? :)

The dried fish only. You can throw away the rest of those science experiments…

Frostflowers at 11:53AM, April 7, 2008
(online)
Hahahaha - Thorramatur! If that's even the right spelling - my Icelandic is very bad, even though I can understand parts of it, being Swedish and all. XD I imagine that after eating that particular meal, it doesn't really matter if you can understand the names of the dishes.

This, if anything, ought to prove that the Icelandic people are descended from Vikings, if it was ever in question - no other people would be quite hardcore enough to eat food like this. Us Swedes are weaklings in comparison - we eat our most infamous national “delicacy” fermented rather than putrefied.
The Continued Misadventures of Bonebird - a poor bird's quest for the ever-elusive and delicious apples.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:31PM
Product Placement at 12:13PM, April 7, 2008
(online)
Frostflowers
Thorramatur!

You spelled it correctly exept that it contains a letter that the Drunk Duck page can't display. If I try to write it I get “Þ” but it's actually looks like this.

It replaces the “Th” in thorri but is pronounced the same. I have no idea if you knew this and where boycotting that “Þ” error or not.

Also that soured herring thing of yours. We also have that. It's wery popular with this moist and brown bread that's made out of buttermilk and rye.
Those were my two cents.
This space for rent.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved