Debate and Discussion

Obsession with popularity can be a sham
timelike01 at 7:37AM, April 10, 2008
(offline)
According to many people, everything that is popular is good and everything that is unpopular is bad. According to my observations, some things that are popular are good and some things that are popular are bad. Likewise, some things that are unpopular are good and some things that are unpopular are bad. Unfortunately, I live in this dystpoia where POPULARITY=GOOD always. Apparently, this is the case because it's easier to just say popular ideas are good than it is to investigate the worth of an idea. Imagine of the people of early 20th century Germany had EXAMINED the worth of Nazism. One possible outcome of that might have been the prevention of the Second World War.

Needless to say, that argument won't go over well with those who are adamantly certain that POPULARITY=GOOD. Besides, certain people would probably say I don't know what I'm talking about.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:30PM
dragonsong12 at 7:57AM, April 10, 2008
(online)
On one hand, my initial reaction was “is a comic forum really the best place to pose this argument?” because it doesn't seem like it'd be much of an argument with the people here. We're all into something that's not generally followed, and tend to like underground rather than pop, or at least be open-minded.

…so that's what I'd LIKE to say…

But just try to say anything against those comics that hit the top ten and stick there and you'll have hordes of fans rise up to destroy you…so I guess it happens everywhere.

On the whole, I'm with you. I get just as annoyed by the people who say “EVERYTHING POPULAR IS BAD” as I do with those who say “EVERYTHING POPULAR IS GOOD” Some things you look at and say “why do people like this? I'm confused” but equally there are the things that are legitimately popular because they're good, or else have one element that a particular person may love. And There's no shame in that. XD

It's the danger of thinking in absolutes on anything though. Anytime anyone says “ALL ______ ARE GOOD/BAD” I tune them out, because there will always be an exception.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:16PM
kyupol at 8:33AM, April 10, 2008
(offline)
POPULARITY=GOOD always

I call it a manifestation of the herd mentality.

Sometimes, we humans can be like these animals:

I really sometimes find it annoying. The fact that humans supposedly have a bigger brain than animals yet they refuse to use it. :(

NOW UPDATING!!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:26PM
anonymousposterchild at 8:36AM, April 10, 2008
(offline)
kyupol
The fact that humans supposedly have a bigger brain than animals yet they refuse to use it. :(

I get that feeling every time I read one of your posts.

The fact is that humanity has, when you get right down to it, evolved a sort of herd mentality because for the longest time, that kept them safe. Safety in numbers kept us alive for the longest time, so that manifests in smaller things as well now.
Official DrunkDuck curmudgeon
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:53AM
AQua_ng at 8:38AM, April 10, 2008
(online)
Hating something just because lots of people like it only makes you a sheep of a different flock.

K.A.L.A-dan! Brigade Captain :D
K.A.L.A.-dan forums!
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:59AM
kyupol at 8:40AM, April 10, 2008
(offline)
I get that feeling every time I read one of your posts.

I get that feeling too reading your posts. Fair nuff.
NOW UPDATING!!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:26PM
TheMidge28 at 9:43AM, April 10, 2008
(online)
But honestly the arguement is weak in the first place because its states premises which are not realistic. It may appear that there are trends where people follow what is popular but I don't think for a second there are people saying, “It's good because its popular.”, or “It's bad because it's unpopular.” And if there was someone stating that I would laugh in there face and call them an idiot.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:24PM
7384395948urhfdjfrueruieieueue at 1:54PM, April 10, 2008
(offline)
We still have a tribal mentality. That's why the strong people (in this society that translates to rich) set the trends and we follow. You can say we're not animals all you want. We still are.
i will also like to know you the more
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:07AM
timelike01 at 7:03AM, April 11, 2008
(offline)
I'm of the mind that humans can be like these animals:

And yes, I've known for many years that humans evolved to live by a heard mentality. But in this age of nucelear, chemicla and biological weapons, a heard mentality doesn't always work. “But it'll probably take another million years for humans to evolve out of the heard mentality.” That's one possiblity. Even so, we need to resolve this heard mentality problem before it ends up killing us.

last edited on July 14, 2011 4:30PM
Vagabond at 8:33AM, April 11, 2008
(online)
You started your post off with blanket statements, and then went on to talk about Nazis.

… How is this a serious discussion again?
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:38PM
HippieVan at 6:35PM, April 11, 2008
(online)
The best way to decide whether something is good or bad is to make up your own mind(duhr) regardless of whether it's popular or not. It's not really an issue if you know how to think intelligently.
Duchess of Friday Newsposts and the holy Top Ten
Have a comic milestone, a community project or some comic-related news you’d like to see in
a newspost? Send it to me via PQ or at hippievannews(at)gmail.com!
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:48PM
cartoonprofessor at 3:59AM, April 12, 2008
(online)
Not all humans have a herd mentality… I much prefer being at home doing my own thing than going to parties, etc. My partner is the same, people have largely given up asking us to ‘come socialize’.
We would be quite happy living as hermits…

Anyone else out there a lone wolf?

Or are you all cattle, or sheep?

(hang on… this is a comic forum, as another suggested… there are probably more loners here per capita than usual)

As to the topic… popular good? Surely the crap that rates the highest on tv answers that question…
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:36AM
plas at 12:53PM, April 13, 2008
(offline)
I don't think you necessarily have to be a lone wolf to not let popularity sway you. I don't consider myself a sheep and I definitely don't follow the crowd, but then nor do I live like a hermit. I think its all about surrounding yourself with like-minded individuals and collectively working together to try to encourage independent thinking. After all, if one person thinking independently is good then a large group of independent thinkers is an even bigger step forward.
I has no picture :(
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:46PM
SuperBiasedMan at 11:50AM, April 26, 2008
(offline)
You don't want to be a sheep, the sheep just follow the other sheep.
You don't want to be a lone wolf, everyone's afraid of the wolf and think he's the cause of their problems.
You don't want to be the sheepdog, he leads the sheep for a bit, but eventually the sheep will realise he's been leading them astray and he's replaced by a new sheepdog.

So? Be a person. Have your own thoughts and oppinions independent of other people regardless of whether it is or isn't popular. In other words, detach yourself from the animal imagery, it's not really relevant.
cosBIf you've done trigonometry, like me, you smile at this.
Then realise what you've done and die a little inside.
No need to thank me for that. :D
Now read this: http://www.drunkduck.com/Super_Biased_Man/index.php?p=395506
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:04PM
bobhhh at 4:18PM, April 26, 2008
(offline)
SuperBiasedMan
You don't want to be a sheep, the sheep just follow the other sheep.
You don't want to be a lone wolf, everyone's afraid of the wolf and think he's the cause of their problems.
You don't want to be the sheepdog, he leads the sheep for a bit, but eventually the sheep will realise he's been leading them astray and he's replaced by a new sheepdog.

So? Be a person. Have your own thoughts and oppinions independent of other people regardless of whether it is or isn't popular. In other words, detach yourself from the animal imagery, it's not really relevant.

Good and bad are subjective. I hate Michael Jackson, but obviously i am in the minority.

Popular means just that: popular.

It stems from the same root as poplace. It's just a head count. Sure it implies that the popular item in question is good according the approving populace, but tastes change and there are many books, plays and films that bombed on their initial release only to become treasured masterpieces later.

Accusations of sheep mentality always sound suspiciously elitist to me.
My name is Bob and I approved this signature.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:30AM
bobhhh at 4:42PM, April 26, 2008
(offline)
This thread reminds me of a very clever punk tune(even if it's a bit dated) I know from Flint's own
Guilty Bystanders:

There's no way I'm going to follow the crowd,
Cause I'm an individual , it isn't allowed,
I'll show the rest who I happen to be,
Cause it's really in, to say that I'm me.

I'm gonna get a mohawk and a spiked leather belt
I wanna be unique, just like everybody else.

I went down and bought some punk clothes
I got a leather jacket and a ring in my nose.
Dyed my hair blue and made up my eyes,
Gee Mom and Dad are in for a surprise.

I went down to that hardcore punk show
And beat up on some preppies that wanted to go.
I snuck in the back and I got in for free,
And I made fun of people who were not like me.

My name is Bob and I approved this signature.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:30AM
7384395948urhfdjfrueruieieueue at 6:04PM, April 26, 2008
(offline)
SuperBiasedMan

AKA a lone wolf.
i will also like to know you the more
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:07AM
Gamers Anonymous at 9:17PM, April 26, 2008
(online)
As Reese Roper put it, being popular is lame.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:32PM
SuperBiasedMan at 3:41AM, April 27, 2008
(offline)
Atom Apple
SuperBiasedMan

AKA a lone wolf.

No a lone wolf is someone who intentionally says ‘I’m going to have different oppinions to all you sheep'
I'm saying like something because you find it good. Don't automatically cut out something because it's considered popular, which is what some people do because they just want to be different.
cosBIf you've done trigonometry, like me, you smile at this.
Then realise what you've done and die a little inside.
No need to thank me for that. :D
Now read this: http://www.drunkduck.com/Super_Biased_Man/index.php?p=395506
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:04PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved