Random Discussion

Ok. The sun revolves around the earth?
kyupol at 3:39PM, March 12, 2008
(online)
CLICK HERE FOR PROOF!!!

This is evidenced not only by the fact that one in five U.S. adults believe the sun revolves around the Earth, but also many others.

NOW UPDATING!!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:26PM
Eunice P at 4:37PM, March 12, 2008
(offline)
58% of French people says the same…

And these guys seriously need geography lessons if they want to invade a nation. Even if you don't know the specific location of a country, at least make sure you have the good knowledge on the specific continents.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:23PM
Marguati at 4:13PM, March 13, 2008
(offline)
priceless. after all, they probably deserve Bush
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:51PM
Croi Dhubh at 5:55PM, March 13, 2008
(offline)
Yeah…show the same handful of people over and over, saying that's the majority of Americans. What a bunch of fail-tards

Marguati
Fucking fail
Liberate Tutemae Ex Inferis
Moderatio est Figmentum: Educatio est Omnium Efficacissima Forma Rebellionis

http://weblog.xanga.com/CroiDhubh - Home to the “Chuck E. Cheese Terror” stories
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:54AM
Marguati at 6:07PM, March 13, 2008
(offline)
Croi Dhubh
Marguati
Fucking fail

A 2007 study even found that 80 percent of American families did not buy or read a book in 2006.
a 2006 survey by National Geographic-Roper found that nearly half of young Americans did not think it was necessary to know the location of other countries in which important news was being made.

while this clearly wins, right? :D
anyway, don't get me wrong: I'm not saying each and every american is an ass. I'm just saying these statistics are creepy
Orange at 9:16PM, March 13, 2008
(online)
Croi Dhubh
Marguati
Fucking fail

This isn't TD, Croi…
:\
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:22PM
7384395948urhfdjfrueruieieueue at 10:09PM, March 14, 2008
(offline)
It still is a dumb statement. A majority of us voted for Gore, but thanks to our brilliant system we have to deal with Bush.

Also, those statistics are not creepy in the least. In fact, I'd go as far as to say they're entirely misinformed.
i will also like to know you the more
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:07AM
Inkmonkey at 7:11AM, March 15, 2008
(offline)
Where are they getting these statistics? Because I seriously doubt that 1 in 5 people think the sun revolves around the earth.

Also, I'm annoyed at the childish conception that intelligence is somehow proportional to the amount of books read, and in this case, purchased. I haven't bought a novel in quite some time; does that mean I'm somehow stupider than if I had? This whole study strikes me as one of those things where some jerk decided he wanted America to look stupid, so he dug up a bunch of half-facts that, if unquestioned, paints a very ugly picture.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:00PM
Mutation at 10:48AM, March 15, 2008
(online)
I don't deserve Bush, what are you talking about? T_T

Even if a good portion of Americans drop out of high school and make a point to be dumb, does not mean that all should suffer. That's so cruel to say.
Also, I don't read that many books myself, intelligance comes from knowing knowledge is important. Therefore, a person trys to learn, because it will improve their life.

I'd also beleive the statistics are wrong. The website didn't appear to be credible to me.

KALA-Dan! Reverse Trap!
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:09PM
Marguati at 11:55AM, March 15, 2008
(offline)
chill out, people! we'll probably have Berlusconi in a month or so, so I think trying to feel less miserable is in my rights.
rabidmochi at 7:30PM, March 17, 2008
(offline)
Oh god, I hope they're kidding.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:57PM
lastcall at 4:13AM, March 18, 2008
(offline)
Mutation
Also, I don't read that many books myself, intelligance comes from knowing knowledge is important.

You misspelled “intelligence”. ;)
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:28PM
ozoneocean at 4:32AM, March 18, 2008
(online)
Oh jeez… You guys would be happy if the stats said you had the world's greatest, smartest country though I bet lol!

Face it, The US has problems and a lot of people knowing more about their own little piece of the world than the rest of it. That's not rare though, a lot of places tend towards that if they don't stop themselves.

Countries that usually always top out all stats on education, healthcare, long life, wealth etc are the Scandinavian ones. I envy those Viking bastards ^__^
I'm sure they have their troubles too but Northern European countries tend to consistently do better.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:30PM
Jimeth at 5:41PM, March 18, 2008
(online)
Err, I dunno if you Americans are aware of this but you are, on average, horrifically ignorant of world Geography. I'm sure it doesn't reflect upon most of the people here, but the average american is just ignorant about that stuff, there's no escaping that fact. When I went over to america your news was all about America. There was barely any news about other countries…

I had an American friend who was, mostly, intelligent and funny. But one day, he asked me whether ‘you guys still own Iraq’. What the hell? As in, is Iraq part of the british empire? 0_o He was having a go at me for 9/11 0_o

Then I found out that he thought Iraq was in Europe and I kinda stopped speaking to him >.> If you're at war with a country, FIND OUT WHERE IT IS. He's in the american army now, for god's sake…
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:08PM
Mutation at 5:34PM, March 19, 2008
(online)
This is depressing. Mostly because no one would correct anyone else's spelling in most any other topic, and people will just use this to bash Americans without any sympathy really.

KALA-Dan! Reverse Trap!
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:09PM
Product Placement at 4:57AM, March 20, 2008
(online)
ozoneocean
Countries that usually always top out all stats on education, healthcare, long life, wealth etc are the Scandinavian ones. I envy those Viking bastards ^__^
I'm sure they have their troubles too but Northern European countries tend to consistently do better.

Stop. You making me blush.
But you're right that nobody's perfect.

America normally gets the brunt of the stupitidy jokes. What with all the Evangelists arguing against evolution, intolerant southern regions, the fact that they re-elected Bush for Thors sake.

Yes Oz. I made a joke designed specially for you.

Now I tried, oh how I tried, to be cautious with my spelling here since everyone seems so jumpy in this tread but if you find one spelling mistake or twenty then in my defence I would like to say that english is not my mother tounge. It's in fact the third language I learned.
Those were my two cents.
If you have any other questions, please deposit a quarter.
This space for rent.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:49PM
Product Placement at 5:02AM, March 20, 2008
(online)
Croi Dhubh
Yeah…show the same handful of people over and over, saying that's the majority of Americans. What a bunch of fail-tards

You know I see a video like this almost every week on Leno. Although I have to admit that the stupitidy in them dumbfounds me so much that I most often think that these people are being paid to act that ignorant.
Those were my two cents.
If you have any other questions, please deposit a quarter.
This space for rent.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:49PM
spiritmonkey at 3:09AM, March 29, 2008
(offline)
The US is full of people, chances are they're going to be at least some idiots in there
And if they showed clips of the people who knew the answers then it wouldn't be funny
AND it could easily have been faked. They could just have asked them to name a State and theny edited a different question on top of that.
Timmy And the Bleach

There are many things in this world that are uncertain
I'd say I'm one of them
But I'm not sure
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:54PM
Lord Shplane at 7:58AM, March 29, 2008
(offline)
While I admit that I only have a rudimentary understanding of geography, mostly because I find it unimportant (Ever heard of MAPS? They're pretty fucking cheap. I'll buy one when I need to go somewhere.), many of the things that people from other countries believe (Especially Oz, he seems to be under the impression that 97% of Americans are monkey retards) are mostly to entirely false.

Consider the fact that it is LEGALLY REQUIRED for all children in America to go to school up until the age of 16. Note then that ONE OF THE FIRST THINGS that those children are tought in science classes (My first science class was in first grade) is that THE EARTH REVOLVES AROUND THE FUCKING SUN.

If one in every five people believes the opposite, they've either been asking Kindergarteners or did the ENTIRE survey on a fundamentalist christian forum.

Of course, it's more likely that people are just making the shit up.

As for books, I DO read quite a bit. But guess what? I've learned MORE from watching TV. The Discovery, History, and National Geographic channels are all EXCELLENT educational tools. So I wonder how many of those 80% (Which is probably grossly overstated anyway) were busy enriching their minds over the TV? Or hell, how many of them didn't buy books because they were READING ON THE INTERNET?

And either way, it doesn't really MATTER. Reading is not intrinsically tried to intelligence/knowledge. There are PLENTY of other ways to learn or increase your general ability to think.

The problem here is threefold. One, Americans in general ENJOY watching the stupidity of others, therefore we broadcast our idiots for the lulz. Two, people WANT to hate America, because ever since WWII, we've been the “Top dog” among nations, the biggest and baddest motherfucker on the block, and people resent that. So people are ready to believe ANYTHING negative about America. Third and last, said people who resent us pass it on to others. Peer pressure (This is where I think Oz fits.)

Every country/social group/area has its misconceptions, poorly made laws, social issues, and just plain idiocy. It's just that America's easier to make fun of because no one likes the big guy.

I want to see the statistics about the stupid things that OTHER countries believe. And I want to see them from a reliable source that isn't a front for a goddamn business. Because I, personally, don't know ANYONE that believes that the sun revolves around the fucking earth.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:44PM
humorman at 11:32PM, March 29, 2008
(offline)
The way I see it, geography and astrology isn't as important as the REALLY important things in the world.

Example:

- World War 3 (AKA The war on terrorism)
- High gas prices ($2.89 a gallon)
- TRUE democracy (the ones with presidents, prime ministers don't count)

Billy vs. Tree – The epic struggle of boy versus tree.
Sonic Colores – It looks like it's going to be a good game because I love how the way it makes me grow.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:51PM
Marguati at 6:59AM, April 3, 2008
(offline)
humorman
The way I see it, geography and astrology isn't as important as the REALLY important things in the world.

you mean “astronomy”? ok, you probably don't need to know the Morgan-Keenan spectral classification or what the Hertzsprung-Russell diagram mean to make ends meet, but for god's sake… the ptolemaic system has been dismissed more than four and half centuries ago! you just CAN'T seriously think the sun revolves around the earth.
as for geography, it would be nice for you (impersonal you) to know at least where are the countries you have invaded.

humorman
- World War 3 (AKA The war on terrorism)
- High gas prices ($2.89 a gallon)
- TRUE democracy (the ones with presidents, prime ministers don't count)

- I wouldn't call that ‘WW3’
- we shouldn't be using so much gas in the first place, there are better options
- …are you serious about that?

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved