Media Megaforum

Older Music, Younger Generation?
YuKiKoDeSu07 at 9:27PM, Sept. 16, 2008
(offline)
I was born in ‘91 but i’m into music ranging from the 60's all the way to modern music. My dad is 53 so that's probably how I got into older music. My mom was born in '69 and she got me into AC/DC, Metallica and stuff like that. From there on I just started listening to other classic music from country to rock and I loved it :D.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:53PM
Brogan at 10:21PM, Sept. 17, 2008
(online)
I'm going to throw a wrinkle in this thread for ya. I'm clearly about a decade older than everyone on here, and I've gotta say that it amazes me when people only still listen to the same music that they liked when they were a kid. I grew up on classic rock, but I'm pretty tired of it now. A lot of people that listen to the classic bands who are 16, 18, etc., a lot of it is still ‘new’ for you. But from my end, it's really been played to death. Really, I never want to hear ‘Hotel California’ or ‘Dream On’ ever again in my life! I listen to a lot of different music, but I'd rather hear The Killers or Maroon 5 any day of the week. It's not that I think they're better, they're just FRESHER to me right now. My wife loves classic rock, and hates Top 40. But she tells me one of the reasons that she hates Top 40 is that they play the same songs over and over again. Well, so does classic rock! I hear ‘Walk this way’, ‘Welcome to the jungle’, Led Zep's ‘Rock & Roll’ on a daily basis. I know that I may seem like I hate classic rock. I don't! But you can't stay strictly in the past either.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:35AM
ozoneocean at 10:56PM, Sept. 17, 2008
(online)
There is that issue of repetition with older music, that's very true. But recoded music has changed a lot now to be more precise, clean and sometimes a bit mechanical, just because of studio technology and production techniques. :(

A few more things though:
-Big “hit”, instantly loved classics usually tend to sound horrible after a few too many plays. And when you hear them again after a long time of not hearing them, you might like them again, but the process will repeat. That's not true for al those sorts of song, probably about half. lol!
-The other thing is that there's no harm in enjoying older recorded music. The industry encourages disposability of music, bands and people, so anything that backs that is a good thing. ;)

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:32PM
Eunice P at 9:58AM, Sept. 28, 2008
(offline)
I love old music! Love Sound of Music! Love oldies as well. Love the 30's to late 60's. Hated the 70's. Love 80's onwards.

I think it's because I watched too much Black and White classic cartoons and my dad is over 70. And I love listening to music like this:
http://images.paultan.org/Mamula_Moon.mp3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIX8gI21jGw

I think I'm the only one here who listens to really old songs. Even songs belonging to a period everyone here hadn't even born yet.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:23PM
Ironscarfs Ghost at 2:32PM, Sept. 28, 2008
(offline)
Eunice P
I think I'm the only one here who listens to really old songs. Even songs belonging to a period everyone here hadn't even born yet.

Not the only one Eunice P - there be two of us!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHqjMhD04uA
Er……..boo!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:03PM
ozoneocean at 4:52AM, Sept. 29, 2008
(online)
I'm sure a lot of us love old music guys. ;)
I like to listen to the stuff from old black and white movies, songs by Fred Astair, Gene Kelly… and various things from the 30's

And then there's lovely classical music, Opera, Operetta by Gilbert and Sullivan…

But whatever. That fits as well into the topic as anything else really. :)

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:32PM
Ironscarfs Ghost at 1:39PM, Sept. 29, 2008
(offline)
I know some people are going to want to shoot me down for saying this, but I don't believe it true that what “it” is hasn't changed in a while. That would be true if you didn't look outside of the white rock scene, but if you'd take a look around you'd find that black music is still on the move.

Certainly here in the U.K. I can find music emerging from the black community which is genuinely original and constantly evolving. You won't find anything like it 20 years ago. I may not be able to relate to it in any way, but surely that's the point.
Er……..boo!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:03PM
Mushroomcomix at 10:11AM, Oct. 13, 2008
(offline)
When i was in High School I went through that whole classic rock haze, but now I am just sick of it. I would rather listen to the newer music, but these days everything gets overplayed on the radio when you hear the same 3 songs every hour it gets old. Classic rock and hip hop stations are even worse. So now I find music that isn't played on the radio here in CO. Which is a lot, they wont play Slightly Stoopid, Pepper, Hed PE, Aphex Twins, Crystal Method, Fat Boy Slim. If you want a great cover of an old school song hunt down Electric Eel Shocks cover of Iron Man
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:08PM
machinehead at 5:26PM, Nov. 10, 2008
(offline)
For the most part I listen to music or bands from the 90's. i've been listening to Rage Against the Machine and Metallica alot latley, plus my favorites like Machine Head and Drykill Logic.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:49PM
Tacster002 at 7:50PM, Nov. 10, 2008
(offline)
I like every genre bar rap and screamo, but I must say my favorite is ‘80s stuff, when I was born in ’90. I think it's primarily my dad's fault though, he's very into classic rock and the like, and he plays music all the time in the car and in his room and such.

personally I feel it's great that people still love the music of yesteryear. my tastes range from the ‘60s to the present and I’m very thankful for the large musical library that's offered for me to enjoy.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:06PM
Starbraces at 9:59PM, Nov. 10, 2008
(offline)
I was born late 80's, and my favorite music (or, the only music I listen to) is swing-jazz, around the 40's and 50's. I love listening to Frank Sinatra and Michael Bublé (among others)
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:57PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved