Comic Talk, Tips and Tricks

On angsty commenting
Naughtelos at 2:49PM, March 13, 2008
(offline)
I do believe I have noticed a trend. Every time I drop a pissed off comment on a comic, my own readership drops like a stone. Namely, the (ok, slightly longwinded) rant on Powerup Comics, (http://www.drunkduck.com/Powerup_Comics/index.php?p=370965). Sure, it's not exactly a deviation for a norm, but I got flamed back for it. Now, as the comment disappears into the archives, my readership is slowly increasing (curious, eh?). I'm not obsessive over readership, but my trend has gone from 210 hits (comment posted)-40 hits-50 hits-20 hits-30 hits-back up to 110 hits yesterday. Needless to say, this has been a bit extreme. Is this a common enough event, or a fluke?
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:09PM
mlai at 3:45PM, March 14, 2008
(online)
Believe it or not, ppl do read the comments section.

Especially the Author's Comments Box. Even when you think you're being very long-winded and boring, and there's no possible way anyone's reading… ppl are reading.

So be careful of spreading negative karma in your own comics.

FIGHT current chapter: Filling In The Gaps
FIGHT_2 current chapter: Light Years of Gold
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:06PM
lba at 2:43PM, March 15, 2008
(online)
I can attest to what mlai is saying. I have pretty long artists comments every day and I've gotten numerous people who say that they like reading the comment every day with my comic because it's interesting to them.

Usually if you say something like your head's hurting a lot from a car accident and you think the next days update might be late because of it they don't mind, but if you whine and don't give a reason or it's totally irrelevant to the comic, people tend to dismiss you.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:28PM
Skullbie at 3:47PM, March 15, 2008
(online)
As a rule it's best to be positive and happy in the author comments, it makes your readers associate you with those happy comments.
For example: Today i posted a short note about my lung infection and kept it light-hearted, but in reality i am angry and pissed off at the doctor who kept me waiting 5 hours to see him. I didn't post that tid-bit, and i still get the ‘get well soon’ comments.

Just keep it happy and don't crit your own art, even if you don't feel that way.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:45PM
mattwandcow at 12:56PM, March 16, 2008
(online)
I work tech support and you notice this immediatly. There are some people who get mad when you tell them their internet is back up, and there are some who can say, “Oh, your modem's busted. A tech we'll be out on wednesday” and the customer will walk away with a smile.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:56PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved