Debate and Discussion

on being NON-political
lothar at 11:38AM, Jan. 3, 2007
(online)
i can't understand why people think politics doesn't concern them, like the actions of their government is some sort of rocket scince that's none of their buisiness, this seems to be the growing trend , people say things like “ahh i got my own problems i dont have time for that politics stuff”
well NEWSFLASH Einstien !! youre stupid daily problems are most likely directly related to that politics stuff !! your gov dropped the ball, they'r incompetent ! they'r letting your nation go to sh*t ! oh well , it's nothing for you to be concerned about as you look for a job or try to figure out how your going to pay you criminaly high rent , or if that lump is actually cancer but you'll never know cuz you dont have health insurance like almost everyone else in the industrialized world !!!
THIS my question - How can anyone excuse themselves for being ignorant of current world event ?
and if you don't care - WHY ?
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:45PM
kingofsnake at 12:11PM, Jan. 3, 2007
(online)
hmm, why do i feel like this may be directed at me? Maybe I should copy paste my other post as reference.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:15PM
Vindibudd at 1:30PM, Jan. 3, 2007
(online)
People don't care because they are not scared. When they get scared, they will care. It happens every time. That's why the people in 1776 fought Britain. They were scared. On one side they have a group of pissed off indians wanting to rape and murder them for rolling in on their turf, and on the other side, they have a bunch of rich people telling them to stfu and bend over. Early Americans were scared for their lives.

What are most Americans worried about now?

When do 32" flat screen LCD tvs get under a thousand?
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:42PM
Ronson at 10:13PM, Jan. 3, 2007
(online)
Fear combined with great leadership can provide strength.

Fear combined with dictatorial leadership can create the Third Reich.

I understand the feeling that everything is “too big” to deal with. It's true.

I can't change the declining dollar no matter how much I read about it, and no matter how much I complain about it and I have no tools to affect it. The same goes for religious nuts who want to roll science back, the US's occupation of Iraq and Afghanistan, or Britney Spears not wearing any underwear.

I'm just a cartoonist. But just like kingofsnakes, I try to stay informed. I also try not to get too hooked on the information overload. I write about it. I discuss it with friends and coworkers who don't mind talking about it, I contribute to causes I agree with … but what else should I do?

Hunger strike? No one pays attention to those. Set myself on fire on the Capitol Steps? Already happened twice (I think. It could have been just once) since the war and no one cares.

So I understand those who unplug completely. I do it every so often myself. But eventually I get intersted in what's going on outside my very small sphere of influence.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:10PM
mapaghimagsik at 3:53PM, Jan. 4, 2007
(offline)
Ronson
I'm just a cartoonist. But just like kingofsnakes, I try to stay informed. I also try not to get too hooked on the information overload. I write about it. I discuss it with friends and coworkers who don't mind talking about it, I contribute to causes I agree with … but what else should I do?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boss_Tweed

Nast was a political cartoonist who spoke out agaisnt Tweed when no one else would.

I'm not saying you have to become a political cartoonist, but there's no such thing as *just* a cartoonist.

I have some very interesting discussions with blogger compatriots. As amature pundits, they feel they are having an impact, and while I don't dispute their impact on people like myself, who have a keen interest in reading *a lot* of text on these issues.

Cartoons and comics are image and word combined, and image can speak a *lot*. A long section of text requires study that someone has to spend a lot of time on. But an image is quick and makes a mark when its strong. Three panels can speak volumes.

I'm not saying you have to be a political cartoonist, but no-one is just a cartoonist, and we have a power to influence people.

By discussing political issues, you're doing more than most, and we do what we can.

What should you do? What you can without burning out. :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:51PM
mykill at 12:39PM, Jan. 6, 2007
(online)
Well, being politically active in and of itself is indulgeance and magical thinking, not entirely rational. The idea being that an individual actually posesses political power, or that political power could do something like serve the interest of ‘good’ - whatever that is.

What is important is how you live your own life and impact the lives of others you personally touch. Politics distracts a person from what is important, replacing it with stuff that is impersonal and rather abstract.

Now, I'm actually kinda a political beast. But I know the arguments for being uninvolved too - because in the world of the politically active - it's impossible to be active enough.

The bottom line is diversity is the strength oif the species. those that are politically mindful are important. Those that are apolitical need to be that way too. As a species it takes all kinds to make us strong.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:09PM
ccs1989 at 1:15PM, Jan. 6, 2007
(online)
A single person, especially if that person is a politician, CAN affect politics. Politics is just a way of thinking, after all, and there have been plenty of individuals who have affected Western thought.

The whole point of democracy is that an individual DOES possess political power. Maybe not a huge amount, but put it together and you've got the force for change. That's what happened in this most recent congressional election.
http://ccs1989.deviantart.com

“If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.”
-Henry David Thoreau, Walden
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:38AM
kingofsnake at 6:06AM, Jan. 8, 2007
(online)
When I was reading Jefferson back in college I realized the real reason I didn't get overly worked up about politics was because of something they did on purpose when they built the system. It is next to impossible to get something accomplished in the government. They built it like that on purpose the idea being if you can't get ANYTHING done, you can't get anything bad done. Getting all hyper-political and worked up over issues which I can not control the outcome of is wasted energy. My power comes in voting. I don't like what I see I vote to show it. Theres no excuse for ignorance, it's impossible to ignore politics completely it's infused into society. but i'm not going to get all worked up about flash-in-the-pan issues like if we're going to mards or whether they'll outlaw flag burning. of course they're not going to outlaw flag burning it's been part of the freedom of speech for the last 200 years and it'll be part of freedom of speech in the next 200 years. the be able to do is outla it for 4 years until theres a regime change and it's made legal again.

i think for alot of people today politics is just something to be angry about constantly no matter what side you are on.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:15PM
MagickLorelai at 2:48PM, Jan. 8, 2007
(offline)
I think so many people step away from being involved in politics because the sheer, overwhelming amount of things that there are to pay attention to. Or at least,to the uninitiated in political stuff. Many feel unable to do anything to affect what seems to be so wrong(to them, at least). Yes, there are things that can be done, but it's like struggling against a tide.

For example, it took a lot, and I do mean a LOT more effort than it should have to get the Nevada VA to approve the pentacle for Sgt. Patrick's tombstone(correct me if I'm wrong about what specifically they were denying the pentacle on), on top of the nine years it had already been pending for approval. People didn't care, except that it was a breach of First Amendment rights. I should say, people whom it didn't concern whether or not the pentacle was approved as a religious symbol. It took a lot of heartache and persistance just for that one small thing that should have not had resisted in the first place.

People don't want to get involved because, frankly, people in the US are not as politically motivated anymore. Why should they be? The adults take care of everything, the people in charge haven't directly destroyed everything to shambles(yet). There are some worrying signs, and people are getting more and more concerned, but why rock the boat? I'm not saying I agree with this mentality; in fact, I'm deeply disturbed and frustrated by it.

…I can't say how we can motivate people into caring about politics, because I don't know.

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:50PM
Phantom Penguin at 4:04PM, Jan. 8, 2007
(offline)
I'm pretty politcal myself. I have ran two politcal comics since i started doing the whole webcomic thing. It impacts us directly, but i can understand people thinking its to high up the ladder for them to do anything about.
when in reality its really pretty easy if you know people or are really into the subject.

But as people have already said, when they start getting scared shitless (a la 9/11) people will get more politcal.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:42PM
Charlox at 8:50AM, Jan. 11, 2007
(offline)
I think Ralph Nader said it best,

“Turn on to politics, or politics will turn on you.”
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:40AM
Ronson at 12:26PM, Jan. 11, 2007
(online)
ian_feverdream
I'm baffled. I've read about the Vietnam anti war movement, the civil rights movement, the prohibition movement, the women's vote movement. People seemed to care back then. Why is the mainstream so apathic? Why does it seem that progressive voices are powerless to effect change and the neo-conservatives are unstoppable.

I think it's the sensory overload.

Those trying to accomplish things we DON'T approve of have become expert in muddying the waters so that the truth isn't clear at all. We don't trust any media outlet.

Add to that that we are constantly bombarded with various special interests groups that try to alert us to something that could mean the end of civilization as we know it - be it global warming or the sanctity of a free market or intelligent design.

There is no way for most people to cut through the claptrap. Those few who do still might occasionally have the rug pulled out from them when it becomes clear that they were rooting for something that did more harm than good. After that happens, you're a lot less militant about the next big cause.

And at some point you think it's all too big and that you're involvement makes too little difference.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:10PM
marine at 12:17AM, Jan. 12, 2007
(offline)
I'm non-political, because it makes it easiar to make jokes about shit. I don't care. I really, REALLY, don't care. Hitler could take over America somehow, right now. Wouldn't bother me. I'm just an asshole. If a system exists, I find ways to exploit it and at the same time make other people uncomfortable. I don't vote, because I don't give a fuck. If a guy came out and specifically said “I want to destroy the entire world.” That guy gets my vote. If I felt strongly that Bush would destroy the world, I would've voted for him. But seeing as how he's just sort of fucking it up, I'm not that pleased with him. North Korea's sitting pretty with nuclear missles. And we should go ahead and take vietnam and germany back. Also Russia.

Most of the time, I say stuff just to make people mad. If someones pro choice, I'm pro death, someones pro life, I'm pro choice, someones right I'm left, someone likes bush, I hate bush, someone hates bush, I like bush. Its all on perspective for me. I'm just trying to make dick and fart jokes, piss people of, and I think politics is bullshit.

This third paragraph is just going to be a plug for penis. I don't care, what I say really. It just has to look long and rant around. No one actually reads your rants and raves in the debate forum, who the fuck has that kind of time. If I wanted to read, I'd download comic books. I think penis is the best webcomic on the internet. Its so funny and original. Its classical sauce too. The day I end penis will be the day I die, thats how excited I feel about penis.

Politics is about who has the most money, who is the loudest liar, and who is the most ruthless. Thats why I'm apolitical, because I don't give a fuck if live or die anymore. I never really have. I like being around to fuck up other peoples good times, sort of like how I love to troll the debate forum. Thats why everyone scrolls past my posts.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:52PM
kyupol at 8:18PM, Jan. 28, 2007
(offline)
I care alot about politics.

Because like what the first poster said, politics can affect your daily lives.

But I'm kinda too much in to it. That I believe there are conspiracies going on. And its also interesting to know the future projections if certain things continue to happen.

I think people dont care about politics because they are already rich and well off and are pretty stable. Go to a third world country. People there tend to kill and cheat on elections just to get certain politicians they believe who will alleviate their suffering, into power.

Why go through all the trouble of harrassing and bribing people if its not worth it?

NOW UPDATING!!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:25PM
ccs1989 at 3:37PM, Feb. 1, 2007
(online)
marine
Thats why everyone scrolls past my posts.

Actually that was pretty hilarious. I read the whole thing.
http://ccs1989.deviantart.com

“If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.”
-Henry David Thoreau, Walden
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:38AM
Kristen Gudsnuk at 3:37PM, Feb. 1, 2007
(online)
I'm non-political because the status quo is anesthetizing.
When I think of the change in my mode of political thought over the past few years, I think of the scene in Wizard of Oz when the poppy field puts them all to sleep. That unstoppable lethargy, I think, is rooted in the unchangeability of the system.

Maybe I would care if caring made a difference.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:22PM
Brokenhill at 5:48PM, Feb. 1, 2007
(offline)
marine
Thats why everyone scrolls past my posts.

yup, but I read that one.

It depends, I'm one of the one of the few people I know who does keep up with current events, I don't like my government and I'm predicting a reform within the next 50 to 60… anyways, if you live in the country, its your duty to know wtf is going on.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:35AM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved