Comic Talk, Tips and Tricks

On The Place of Origin for my Charecters
The Dark Eric Draven at 9:03PM, April 13, 2011
(offline)
So, the two mainest of the five mainest of the charecters I'm storing in my head for when I start my comic are based off of me and my cousin. We both live in Arkansas, but I have the oddest wish to place it in Louisiana, due to the look and feel of the state. However, neather me nor my cousin have even been to Louisiana, and I am VERY strict about the realisim of the comic. Or, well, the realisim of how cannon follows our lives up till the comic starts. There are big changes already, like my cousin's “PC” having a diffrent amount of siblings and other, more minor things, but I am distrubed at the thought of it taking place in another state, despite it also disturbing me to place them as coming from the same hometown. Of course, Arkansas DOES have swamps, so I could just set them as coming from a paticurly swampy reagion. Thoughts on the matter?
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:14PM
Tim Wellman at 11:00PM, April 13, 2011
(online)
As Depeche Mode said, ‘People are people…’ it really doesn't matter where you set your story if you do a little research on the region… the human condition is the same world-wide. The more important question is are you and your cousin interesting enough to be main characters in a comic? :-)
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:30PM
JustNoPoint at 4:29AM, April 14, 2011
(online)
I never thought I'd find anyone else on DD from Arkansas! :P

AR isn't exactly the most awesome place to base a story IMO. We have some diamond minds, some caverns, and hot springs?

For other regions you can use google and google maps to get a better idea of the layouts. Though I guess if this is some sort of autobiography comic you shouldn't change the location. Myself I would base everything on what could give you more options in story telling.

But if you are doing a strict biographical comic then those options are sorta limited.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:12PM
The Dark Eric Draven at 5:20AM, April 14, 2011
(offline)
JustNoPoint
I never thought I'd find anyone else on DD from Arkansas! :P

AR isn't exactly the most awesome place to base a story IMO. We have some diamond minds, some caverns, and hot springs?

For other regions you can use google and google maps to get a better idea of the layouts. Though I guess if this is some sort of autobiography comic you shouldn't change the location. Myself I would base everything on what could give you more options in story telling.

But if you are doing a strict biographical comic then those options are sorta limited.

Well, thats the thing. The story doesn't TAKE PLACE in America at all. I haven't decided exactly where yet, (Argintina,or maybe Canada?) but by the time the story starts. our charecters have been living in another country for two years. I just can't decide if I should have them come from Arkansas, to stick closer to real life, or because its such a minor detail, should I suck it up and have them come from a more visualy apealing place?
The Dark Eric Draven at 5:28AM, April 14, 2011
(offline)
Tim Wellman
The more important question is are you and your cousin interesting enough to be main characters in a comic? :-)

Well, the webcomic versions are a bit flanderized from us. Like, in real life, we hardly talk anymore, and in the comic, we are soul mates. I like math, so my charecter, Eric (The Dark Eric Draven, clever, huh?), is a mathmatician who is implied to work for Black Mesa and be The Stranger from the Myst series, while his charecter, Scott, is known on a Doctor Who-esqe level as a defender of the earth. Pretty much everyone is like that though. One girl can control anti-matter, and another is so smart he can build a Dekotora truck from scratch in a week. Its a little wierd world, which is all the wierder that I have that urge to make my charecters past closly resemble my own as possble. I just can't write an adventure if the adventure isn't at least partialy mine. Still, my charecter is forever the Lancer to my cousins'. He's the real star. Though, I did take the Mary Sue test, and his got a 89% while mine got a 93%. Of course, I have four years to keep working on it.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved