Media Megaforum

Once again...Will Smith saves the f---ing universe!
jalford at 2:07AM, April 26, 2008
(online)
Hancock(yes, that's the title!)is a new movie coming out in July where Will Smith plays a non-secret identity-using superhero who tries to clean up his image. Looks pretty fake, but you might wanna check out the psuedo-blog they made up for it.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:06PM
jalford at 1:26PM, July 4, 2008
(online)
From what I saw of the reviews, I'll wait until it comes on DVD to rent. Turns out Hancock is like one of the Highlander dudes, but with Superman's powers(minus cold breath, heat vision, and super senses).
Hawk at 3:36PM, July 4, 2008
(online)
I haven't heard much good about the movie either… And these days, it takes a pretty good movie for me to put up with Will Smith. I'm avoiding this one.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:46PM
SpANG at 3:42PM, July 4, 2008
(online)
Hancock - A drunk asshole has super powers.

lovely…
“To a rational mind, nothing is inexplicable. Only unexplained.”
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:53PM
diana_m at 5:39PM, July 4, 2008
(offline)
I saw it.I tought it was cool.Especially the scene where he shoves a guy's head into another's ass.
./\_/\ I'm a wolf.
/.o.o\ I ate the bunny.
\..o../ It was tasty.
..v.v..

last edited on July 14, 2011 12:10PM
Puff_Of_Smoke at 5:44PM, July 4, 2008
(offline)
Oh, thanks, now I have to watch it.
I
I have a gun. It's really powerful. Especially against living things.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:55PM
ccs1989 at 8:09PM, July 4, 2008
(online)
It's forgettable and not very interesting. No super villains to speak of. One scene gets the blood pumping, and thats it. Also there's a big twist in the middle of the movie that kind of ruins it.
http://ccs1989.deviantart.com

“If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.”
-Henry David Thoreau, Walden
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:39AM
jalford at 1:56AM, July 5, 2008
(online)
Diddy did a whole sermon on his personal blog the other day bitching about how there's now black superheroes before Hancock. Now, no alien, amazon, Atlantean, god or robot can count as a white person since they're not really technically human, so that leaves Superman, Martian Manhunter, Hawkman, Aquaman, Thor, and Wonder Woman out of that equation. Apparently he forgot about ones who were already in movies like Blade, Storm, War Machine, Steel, Spawn, Meteor Man, plus Nick Fury, Agent J and Catwoman, all of which are supposed to be white. There's also Black Lightning, Mantis, Green Lantern(John Stewart), Mantis, Cyborg, Black Panther, Bumblebee, Forge, Herald, Black Vulcan(aka: Superbolt), Dr. Mid-Nite II, Mr. Terrific II, Pantha, Cloak, Vixen, Static, Prowler, Hardware, Rocket Racer, Luke Cage, Icon, Falcon, Chapel, Ant, and about a dozen Power Rangers!
SpANG at 7:19AM, July 20, 2008
(online)
First of all the title of this thread is wrong, because Will Smith never saves the universe. He saves a bunch of people.

That said, this movie was fantastic. I was pleasantly surprised. It was a real superhero and a real setting. I had no problem with “no real super villain” because that would have just been silly.

The effects are great, the story is great. The twist in the middle was odd at first, but worked well after everything was explained. Jason Bateman was wonderful. He steals the entire show.

Al in all, this is probably the best movie I've seen since Iron Man. Better than THE INCREDIBLE HULK and certainly better than HELLBOY II. I couldn't figure out why people would have panned this movie so much. Then my sister-in-law provided the answer.

“Most people don't like surprises.”

It's true unfortunately. Most people would rather a predictable story. If they are thrown a curve ball they don't react well (See UNBREAKABLE). Add the fact that it's a superhero story and critics go in with a bias anyway.

DO NOT listen to the critics on this one. If you want to see a movie about a genuine ‘REAL LIFE’ superhero, you will love this movie for that. If you re looking for flash without substance, there is plenty of that ilk to satisfy you this year.

I for one am really glad I didn't listen to the “popular opinion”. ;)

Ronson at 8:10AM, July 20, 2008
(online)
Yep, I loved it as well. As did my wife (SpANG's sister-in-law). In fact, I think it is the best super hero movie since … hmm … Mystery Men. Another movie many people hated and I loved.

It's old time superheroing. It's character development. But let me address the critiques given:

1. Plot twist ruins it - Not for me. It actually is consistent with the odd character behavior in the first half, and adds a lot to the character development. I was pleasantly surprised by it, and I think that's when I really started to enjoy the film.

2. No super villians - Yay! Not every superhero needs a equal or superior powered nemesis at the end of every movie. The final battle in the Hulk movie was, for me, too long and completely unnecessary. The final battle in Iron Man was all right, but also would have been cooler if the fight had required a bit more thinking.

I think a lot of the negativism (from more national reviewers, not necessarily you duckers) stems from the fact that their preconceived notions didn't match the movie they watched.

The other thing is that Hancock becomes the real deal as far as superheroes go. While not “truth, justice and the American way”, he's certainly devoted to doing his best to fight crime and save people. Modern critics hate that, but I love it.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:10PM
lastcall at 12:13PM, July 20, 2008
(offline)
jalford
Diddy did a whole sermon on his personal blog the other day bitching about how there's no black superheroes before Hancock…. ….Apparently he forgot about ones who were already in movies like Blade, Storm, War Machine, Steel, Spawn, Meteor Man, plus Nick Fury, Agent J and Catwoman, all of which are supposed to be white. There's also Black Lightning, Mantis, Green Lantern(John Stewart), Mantis, Cyborg, Black Panther, Bumblebee, Forge, Herald, Black Vulcan(aka: Superbolt), Dr. Mid-Nite II, Mr. Terrific II, Pantha, Cloak, Vixen, Static, Prowler, Hardware, Rocket Racer, Luke Cage, Icon, Falcon, Chapel, Ant, and about a dozen Power Rangers!

Diddy don't read comics, man. Shee-it. He too important to do dat. He just see what his beeotches say is on the big glowy scweeeen. ooOOOoooo.

LOL… I especially think it's funny how he has a hard time even naming superheroes….“Um…Wonder Woman….Underdog….um…..Oh, that's my white boy answering the phone behind me…” lol!

And then he thinks Hancock is the first African American superhero?!?!? HAAA HAAAA!!!! What a dumbass.

I sent him a list of African American superheroes, courtesy of Wikipedia. There's a shitload of 'em.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:28PM
SpANG at 4:41PM, July 20, 2008
(online)
Didn't Spike Lee use the same speech when Spawn came out?
Evil Emperor Nick at 7:07AM, July 21, 2008
(offline)
I'd just like to second SpANG & Ronson's opinion. I was going to say something but those two pretty much said it already.

last edited on July 14, 2011 12:23PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved