Debate and Discussion

Online personalities. Discuss?
skoolmunkee at 11:32AM, June 7, 2006
(online)
Ian Jay
3) Spang and Oz both have the hots for Schoolmunkee.

Clearly they have the hots for each other.
  IT'S OLD BATMAN
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:38PM
Eunice P at 11:15PM, June 7, 2006
(offline)
I'm Dr. Jekyll in real life and I become Mr. Hyde everytime I go online.

Bah… That's not true.

I'm the type of person who just like to make people to think of me as a different person of whom I idealized myself to be.

Woo~ I'm not normal.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:23PM
ccs1989 at 1:58PM, June 8, 2006
(online)
Of course the Online Persona is also affected by how one types. This can also tell something about a person's personality. If one types well, with correct spelling and grammer, this may show they are thoughtful. If they type badly this may show that they are impatient or have bad english skills.

However there are those, like Kain, who I imagine as a man trying to speak and vomiting all over himself when he opens his mouth.
http://ccs1989.deviantart.com

“If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.”
-Henry David Thoreau, Walden
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:37AM
Aurora Moon at 2:09PM, June 8, 2006
(offline)
so because I have bad spelling at times, that means that I'm not patient.. even though I've been known to be a very patient person in real life…

or that I have horrible, horrble english skills despite the fact that I graudated high school with constant A+'s in English and such…

nah. it could be that at times I couldn't be buggered to try to fix my spelling and such at like 4 am in the morning, espeically when I'm not here to impress people with my “LEET” spelling skills, I'm just here to talk to people casually and such, and have fun.

as long as people are able to be understandable, and they can get their thoughts across.. then that's all that matters. bad spelling don't count as long as you know what the person means.
I'm on hitatus while I redo one of my webcomics. Be sure to check it out when I'n done! :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:09AM
ozoneocean at 6:30PM, June 8, 2006
(online)
ccs1989
However there are those, like Kain, who I imagine as a man trying to speak and vomiting all over himself when he opens his mouth.
That's hilarious!

What IJ? The hots for Skool. Look at my title, I'm a flirt man… I can't help it.

Well My contention is that online personas are just another aspect of yourself, I don't really care about how your online behaviour differs from your behaviour anywhere else, or even what people think of you based on how you act. -People act differently depending on what social situation they're in: My digi animation students cease being young adults and morph into respectful nervous little children when they talk to me… The mature students cease being adults way older than me and become boisterous teens! If you talk to a policeman your behaviour differs, same when you talk to your siblings, your parents, friends, workmates, or even when you write essays or in a diary, whatever.
So the “IRL/online” distinction is just so much shit, because you have so many different ways of behaving in any given situation. All that is important is that it is you all along. All the different facets of you. And that's just who all of them are, no one else.
:wink:

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:23PM
marine at 12:37PM, June 10, 2006
(offline)
The idea behind princess jen was all marketing related. Sure, there was a performance art aspect to it, its like going into a lesbian chatroom on yahoo and soliciting pictures by being a lesbian and giving out some picture some other webcam girl gave you. Its what the internet was made for, really.

I'm a deviant. I'm a bad person. I'm not saying that I do bad things, I actively try to piss people off both consciously and subconsciously. A lot of times I can go to far for a good joke or revenge, and that just makes more enemies. I always make enemies, even when I did standup, there would be at least one person that would try to start a fight with me.

A guy, whose dead now, once told me that no matter where you go, how you try to change, or what you do and act like, you're always you. He said he went off to college in the 80s, and had tried being a big christian there, even did volunteer work. Now that was by far not the guy that I knew. The guy I knew was a real bastard. He was bald, bitter, and had a bad attitude. He said he tried to fit in and do what everyone said you should do, but it wasn't him. He didn't feel right, and people still didn't treat him like a friend. Like how I treat him. I take my friends to the extreme as well. If someones my friend, I'll be as good as I possibly can be. But as for enemies, enemies I wouldn't piss to put out a fire on.

I don't post so much anymore, and I've not really put any new comics up on penis in awhile. I'm basicly reposting stuff right now. My life has been up and down the last few months. I honestly don't want to be famous anymore. I've now just don't give a fuck at all. I'm only out to make myself laugh. If it means playing violant video games where you run around with a chainsaw killing people and jump into a tank, or pretending to be a girl on the internet to piss off thirty year old comic geeks who take their comics far too seriously, I'll do that. I don't simply don't care now. If I died right now, it wouldn't bother me one god damn bit.

So yeah, I'm a internet personality just by being myself.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:51PM
ccs1989 at 10:51AM, June 11, 2006
(online)
Aurora Moon
so because I have bad spelling at times, that means that I'm not patient.. even though I've been known to be a very patient person in real life…

or that I have horrible, horrble english skills despite the fact that I graudated high school with constant A+'s in English and such…

nah. it could be that at times I couldn't be buggered to try to fix my spelling and such at like 4 am in the morning, espeically when I'm not here to impress people with my “LEET” spelling skills, I'm just here to talk to people casually and such, and have fun.

as long as people are able to be understandable, and they can get their thoughts across.. then that's all that matters. bad spelling don't count as long as you know what the person means.

I can deduce from this that while in positions you view as important you are patient and take time to correctly structure your sentences with capitalization/grammer, but in public with people you hardly even know you don't bother to, because you find it a waste of time. If I had a degree is psycology I could probably use this information to deduce even more about you, but that'd just be a waste of MY time.

All I'm saying is that your internet persona is some way reflects an aspect of your personality, whether it has to do with your concious or subconcious. By reading one's online comics, which are also not controled by editors (or very rarely) you can also guess things about a person. For example someone might say I'm extremely violent by looking at my comic. This isn't true, but I have been known to have a short temper at some points in time.

Also by the lack of female characters in my comic, one could deduce that I'm insecure around girls. This is mostly true. I have no idea how to write a female character, so I don't. Not enough life experience.

Anyway before this turns into a psyco-analysis session I'm going to stop typing…now.

“If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.”
AQua_ng at 11:06AM, June 11, 2006
(online)
Hold on a second. We here to debate if your online self is a good representation of your offline self. Now what I'm thinking is that your online self is your offline self because it has become part of your offline self by creating an online self. Offline flows to online. I'm not sure if you guys know what I'm saying but it's my best shot.

Kind of like in a circuit you try and run away as far as possible from someone but realise you're right behind him, people who try to become the exact opposite of themselves end up being themselves in a desperite attempt to not become themselves.

I feel dizzy typing this post. :rolleyes:

K.A.L.A-dan! Brigade Captain :D
K.A.L.A.-dan forums!
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:54AM
spaz201 at 8:49PM, June 15, 2006
(offline)
I think for most people, the only difference between their offline and online selves are not being able to see their facial expressions.

Of course there are some who craft totally different personalities, but their just throwing off the status quo.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:53PM
gigatwo at 9:37PM, June 15, 2006
(online)
AQua_ng
Hold on a second. We here to debate if your online self is a good representation of your offline self. Now what I'm thinking is that your online self is your offline self because it has become part of your offline self by creating an online self. Offline flows to online. I'm not sure if you guys know what I'm saying but it's my best shot.

Kind of like in a circuit you try and run away as far as possible from someone but realise you're right behind him, people who try to become the exact opposite of themselves end up being themselves in a desperite attempt to not become themselves.

So basically your online and offline selves both influence each other, untill they're the same thing, regardless of whether you want them to be or not?
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:35PM
blackaby at 2:00AM, Aug. 1, 2006
(offline)
I've met a lot of people from the internet. I think only a very small percentage of them were anything like their internet personas, but that said, I do tend to consort with crazy-ass people online.

What ‘internet personas’ never really get across is how people act socially - I mean, it seems obvious, right, but the difference between how they think and how they act can be huge. I've met some wonderfully civilised people online who I respected, only to meet them and discover that while they're smart, and clever, and all that shit, they're also totally insane people who *yell* and alienate everyone in a 50 mile radius.

…and I'd continue this post, but now work wants me to do something. :/
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:23AM
MagickLorelai at 11:14PM, Aug. 9, 2006
(offline)
My online persona is kinda a less shy me. One on one, “IRL”, I'm pretty much the same person. I'm just not as good at delivering jokes or being “cute”. Online, I'm more open to posting my opinions where everyone can see them. Offline, I'm often scared to voice my opinion as much. I hide behind quietness to avoid offending people.

.. Still, my online “persona” is still me; I try to be respectful, and sometimes diplomatic.

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:50PM
LowResAtari at 1:35PM, Aug. 10, 2006
(online)
Meh… my online personality is pretty much me own normal one… same disorganized speech and thought patterns… same goofy attitude… same akward pauses in between phrases and sentences (“…”)

I try to keep myself from turning into something I ain't because I always wonder if I'll ever meet anyone that I see online… they'll see me and talk to me and be like “You don't act like you do online… YOU LIER! *smack*” and that sort of thing…

See what I mean about disorganized thinking? >>
99% of people would've finished this sente
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:47PM
blackaby at 3:36AM, Aug. 11, 2006
(offline)
…gah, as I was saying before I was so rudely interrupted by work.

The internet happily conceals all the physical aspects of people and their ability to interact with others. That's why there are all these online extroverts who are completely introverted and freaksome offline. I know people who've met internet people who turned out to be a) a different gender b) completely lacking in basic hygiene skills and c) so very very insane and unable to communicate normally with other people.

Often people use the internet to become the person they really want to be, so they can be really ‘popular’ online and have the sort of power and attention (especially from the opposite sex, or the sex they're interested in) they'd never get in the real world.

The only ones who ever seem to have any corrolation between their online and offline selves are those who have a life outside of the internet.
BigFishComic at 11:09PM, Sept. 4, 2006
(offline)
so what're the general thoughts on online dating and such?
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:21AM
AQua_ng at 12:05AM, Sept. 5, 2006
(online)
To be completely honest, everybody is different on this matter. Some people are the same both on and off, some are completely different, and then there are some that are a mixture of both.

The obvious thing I can see is that in RL, there's no Caps lock, Backspace, or emoticons.

K.A.L.A-dan! Brigade Captain :D
K.A.L.A.-dan forums!
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:54AM
ozoneocean at 2:12AM, Sept. 5, 2006
(online)
blackaby
The internet happily conceals all the physical aspects of people and their ability to interact with others. That's why there are all these online extroverts who are completely introverted and freaksome offline. I know people who've met internet people who turned out to be a) a different gender b) completely lacking in basic hygiene skills and c) so very very insane and unable to communicate normally with other people.
And that was when your hoped for lesbian relationship with Zwuh started to turn out all wrong?

There could be this aspect to the net, of some people with contrasting behaviors, but all of it is them, regardless of where they do what.

The idea of people behaving completely differently when they're offline is rather comforting actually… There are some really horrible, nasty psychos online.
I dunno, faking things is anoying, it takes too much effort, like lying. The closer your online you is to the offline you, the easier things are.

blackaby at 4:03AM, Sept. 5, 2006
(offline)
ozoneocean
blackaby
I know people who've met internet people who turned out to be a) a different gender b) completely lacking in basic hygiene skills and c) so very very insane and unable to communicate normally with other people.
And that was when your hoped for lesbian relationship with Zwuh started to turn out all wrong?

“She” told me we'd be lovers forever ::SOB::

ozoneocean
The idea of people behaving completely differently when they're offline is rather comforting actually… There are some really horrible, nasty psychos online.

Yeah. A lot of the really fecked up people online are actually just normal people who can't be bothered being nice. It happens. :-D

ozoneocean
I dunno, faking things is anoying, it takes too much effort, like lying. The closer your online you is to the offline you, the easier things are.

Not necessarily. If you get by a lot on the way you look, the way you act physically IRL (whether you're bouncy or athletic or sexy or cute or whatever), it's going to be hard to translate that to get the same effect on people on the internet. If you want to be able to relate to peopel in the same way you're going to have to make that sort of change in the way you communicate online.

Excuse spelling. :/
ozoneocean at 5:35AM, Sept. 5, 2006
(online)
blackaby
Not necessarily. If you get by a lot on the way you look, the way you act physically IRL (whether you're bouncy or athletic or sexy or cute or whatever), it's going to be hard to translate that to get the same effect on people on the internet. If you want to be able to relate to people in the same way you're going to have to make that sort of change in the way you communicate online.
Hey yeah, that could happen, true. Hmm, I never considered that. Not being able to get by on “looks” (so to speak), would require them to grow up a bit I'd tend to think. Hopefully anyway, unless they found another way to bring it across.
If they DID interact more maturely online than they did offline, they'd probably consider the online self the “real them”. How Ironic.

It reminds me of Marylyn Monroe and that moronic public persona she'd affect as part of her character, or even James Dean with his insolent youth, idiot-boy affectations, both quite different from who they were. But in those cases the getting by on “looks” bit is where they’re playing false, and perhaps it’s the same for everyone who does that? Unless they’re morons and there really is nothing more to them…

blackaby
Never!

blackaby at 6:55AM, Sept. 5, 2006
(offline)
ozoneocean
Hey yeah, that could happen, true. Hmm, I never considered that. Not being able to get by on “looks” (so to speak), would require them to grow up a bit I'd tend to think. Hopefully anyway, unless they found another way to bring it across.

It does work the other way too - those people who aren't particularly attractive and are easily dismissed by others get a chance to be able to flirt and act sexy that they wouldn't in the real world.

ozoneocean
It reminds me of Marylyn Monroe and that moronic public persona she'd affect as part of her character, or even James Dean with his insolent youth, idiot-boy affectations, both quite different from who they were. But in those cases the getting by on “looks” bit is where they’re playing false, and perhaps it’s the same for everyone who does that? Unless they’re morons and there really is nothing more to them…

I've been told by quite a few people that if they'd met me IRL rather than online first, they'd have immediately dismissed me as the world's biggest airhead.

Anecdotes aside, it's very similar the way it works. Internet of course is more of a wish-fulfillment thing: it gives people the chance to get what they want without being hampered by the things that hold them back - like money, hygeine, looks, gender, etc, etc…

blackaby
ozoneocean
Never!

:cry:
deletedbyrequest03 at 7:24AM, Sept. 5, 2006
(offline)
My friends act differently online.

I was talking to my best friend on aim for the first time, and she was pretty smart when I talked to her. But then she typed this:

'omg i liek cant blive i tak to u on aim liek omg!!!'

This was my expression: :?

Online, you can act like a total n00bish asshole if you wanted to, but in real life, you can act super sophisticated.

t3h cr4zeh.

This year, school's full of BS!!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:04PM
ozoneocean at 8:13AM, Sept. 5, 2006
(online)
Personal hygiene holding someone back? Ewwwwwwwwwwwwww… And you've met these people?

Ok, I don't mind if people are ugly, poor, boring or whatever, but please keep yourselves clean! This is a general message to everyone on the net! If I ever meet any of you in person, you better not stink.
Being well groomed is important. One of the worst things about going into the city is stinky people. You better not be one of them. :x

General message over.

The net could work as a wish fulfilment thing in some cases I suppose… In my case I create the illusion that my spelling is almost always fine, when in reality I frequently quickly copy and paste to MS Word in order to get it right. And that is why my spelling is almost always fine and not perfect. :?
Generally though, from my limited experience, I'd think that was a minor part of internet interaction… At least for the parts of it I regularly use. -the occasional comic forum, art forums, e-mail, etc.
Chat rooms and social games (like Warcraft), are probably a very different story. -I don't know, those aren't my thing.

And in case anyone's wondering, I'm actually more boring in person. I freely admit it.

DancingChaos
Online, you can act like a total n00bish asshole if you wanted to, but in real life, you can act super sophisticated.
Heh, maybe that's a better reflection of who they are? ^^

ccs1989 at 1:28PM, Sept. 5, 2006
(online)
Yeah, internet anominity really makes some poeple into jerks. They don't view the people they're talking to as real, and they know that other people won't be able to find out who they are, so they act like assholes. The internet can really show some sides of a person that they would never show in public.

blackaby at 2:21AM, Sept. 7, 2006
(offline)
ozoneocean
Personal hygiene holding someone back? Ewwwwwwwwwwwwww… And you've met these people?

I'm afraid so.

ozoneocean
Generally though, from my limited experience, I'd think that was a minor part of internet interaction… At least for the parts of it I regularly use. -the occasional comic forum, art forums, e-mail, etc.
Chat rooms and social games (like Warcraft), are probably a very different story. -I don't know, those aren't my thing.

Using relay chats is very different from using forums - unless you have a proper conversation-style time-wise chat on a forum. Online journals are also quite different. I guess on them you end up imparting more of your ‘self’ or the ‘self’ you wish to put out there.

ozoneocean
And in case anyone's wondering, I'm actually more boring in person. I freely admit it.

I'm less capable of making meaningless conversation in real life. Online, I can pretend to be talking to someone else about something important and say, “Hey, D&Ming with someone right now, totally important, can't talk…” or something along those lines. IRL I have to kind of sneak away and hide somewhere.
jetfox at 12:20PM, Sept. 7, 2006
(offline)
i am the complete oppisitte in real life, if this was real life i would probably never talk to anyone… what am i saying probably, defenitly is more like it. i'm not every outspoken and i tend to hide things more, also i talk of death, destruction, chaos, and not wanting to live alot.

but i mainly hide it for various reasons.
In the immortal words of Saix “Moon shine down!!!!”
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:07PM
deletedbyrequest03 at 5:40PM, Sept. 7, 2006
(offline)
jetfox
i'm not every outspoken and i tend to hide things more, also i talk of death, destruction, chaos, and not wanting to live alot.

Wow.

Anyway, in real life, it depends on my mood. When I'm happy, I'm like… Supuh nice and hyper! When I'm angry, I'm like ‘wtf get away from me n00b…’ Aaaaand I'm trying to be a little quieter because sometimes I annoy people. That's why I'm losing friends rapidly :D

I wear ripped jeans and I'm really angsty! Teen angsty! You know, the fun kind!!! ^_^

I'm a happy person with a negative outlook on things! I like to pretend I can sing! I draw poorly when people watch me! I find it funny when assholes cry! I can get angry enough to attempt to stab you with a spoon! My family population is decreasing rapidly, and I am uncomfortable when talking to friends because I have the strangest thought that they all hate me!

Yaaay!

This year, school's full of BS!!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:04PM
hat at 5:50PM, Sept. 7, 2006
(offline)
:-D

I'm pretty sarcastic and I talk alot of smack about people in real life.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:45PM
Comicmasta at 3:01AM, Sept. 8, 2006
(offline)
Real life im a bad ass.

I wear a grey hoodie, even in the middle of summer (THIS IS MEXICO BITCH!!!)

I start fights to gain inspiration for my comics

And at home you'll always find me killing braincells with my Liquir.
i have been brought back….The Boanitia..grrrrr…..Must find Super Jesus!!!!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:43AM
Zwuh at 3:17AM, Sept. 8, 2006
(online)
One thing you can always count on is that people online lie. A lot. :roll:
last edited on July 14, 2011 5:02PM
Comicmasta at 12:10PM, Sept. 8, 2006
(offline)
<—-( Not Lieing)
i have been brought back….The Boanitia..grrrrr…..Must find Super Jesus!!!!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:43AM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved