Debate and Discussion

Opinion of Canadian heath care system.
Vindibudd at 3:45PM, July 11, 2007
(online)
StaceyMontgomery
Vindibudd

I hope I can disagree with you here without seeming overly argumentative. My experience is just different from yours.

First of all, the “5 million lawyers” you speak of will not help you get treated that day in the emergency room. So, in fact, their existence made no difference in the instances where I have experienced these sorts of problems. Have you ever successfully sued an Emergency Room? If not, then you are not speaking from personal experience. The fabled ease with which Americans can sue Doctors is just that - a fable. In practice, its very hard to do. And if you're poor and (and here's the big one) sick, well, then it's even harder. Doctors, in my experience, are even better at covering their asses then they are at healing the sick.

The argument is not that lawyers are going to treat you in the emergency room, the argument is that lawyers will take civil action against a hospital that refuses to treat someone who is in dire need of emergency care. The fact of the matter is that if they don't, being sued is the least of their worries. Prison could be in the cards.

Let's not forget that medical personnel are medical personnel because they want to help heal people, not because they want to get money from them. That's what lawyers are for.

The overriding issues is this: People need to take personal responsibility for their medical treatment and not demand that everyone around them pay for their lack of preparation on a long term basis. I had a family member who had heart surgery recently and he has great medical benefits as he works for the USPS, but still he has $10,000 to pay. The insurance paid for $179,000 of that bill. This guy is not rich by any stretch of the imagination, but he also is not demanding that YOU be FORCED to pay for his bills.

I am tired of people whining to the government for everything. Time to cowboy up and have some self-respect.

Where are you getting your numbers for 80/20?
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:42PM
jmt at 7:05PM, July 23, 2007
(online)
We have the best health care system in the world.
When candian with money need medical attention they come here. Because they can't afford to wait 6 months for treatment.

I am not embarassed about our health care. I am proud that the free market will bring the best doctors here, and the the most advanced medical technology. That is why more than 10,000 canadian doctors are working here in the US.They cannot make money working in their own country. Why you take the free market out of the equation your level of service will plunge.

Not just canada, but cuba; whoes nationalized medical system has gotten so much press recently from that documentary. When Castro was sick, he came to see American Doctors.

If the governemnt gets their hands into this we are screwed. health care wise. I have seen VA hospitals, and I know all to well what socialized medicne will do. On top of that the average canadian pays an astronomical federal tax to keep the health care system limping on.

I have read the constitution a few times in my life, and I don't remember seeing where medical care is one of our rights. You have to take care of yourself. And ensure your family is taken care of. That doesn't mean cry for H Clinton (for god's sake) to take care of you. Where is your sense of personal responsibilty?

http://www.drunkduck.com/The_Nonstandard_Assembly/

http://www.jonnyaxx.com/

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:09PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved