Debate and Discussion

Organ/Blood Donation?
crazyninny at 7:00PM, Dec. 13, 2007
(online)
Today in Math class, a couple of people were debating on organ donation. One was going off saying that donation your organs in wrong, another that by saying on your liscene that your an organ donar, doctors will come after you, and a couple *Bless them.* were standing up for organ donations.

Becuase, as I see it, if I die right now, and my organs are intact, might as well give them to some one else. There are thousands and thousands of people out there waiting for a organ as we speak. And houndrads are also dieing every year still waiting for a donation.
When I'm dead, I'm not going to be needing them. Hell, I'm getting cremated anyway, would be a waste anyways. And no, I doubt being on the organ donation list is going to have doctors following me up and down the streest to butcher me up.

And with that, what is your view on blood donation? I come from a family of blood donators, and I might give some up for the cuase. What do you guys thing about this?

DEBATE!!! *Throws down the flag.*

NEW QUESTION:

Since this topic is really moving, lets throw a new question in. What are your guys ideas on live organ donation? (Liver, kidney, and skin donation.)
I'm personally okay with it. If some one in my family, or a friend needed it, I would donate to them if I could. Becuase I think it would be really selfish if you could save your love ones life, but didn't becuase you don't think donating is ethical. I know I would be pissed off if I was dieing, and one of my family memebers could save my life by donating to me, but didn't.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:48AM
horseboy at 8:39PM, Dec. 13, 2007
(offline)
While I would donate, the problem is that on my 21st birthday I came down with an extremely rare (as in the 6th reported case in MO) blood disease that they don't know how it's transmitted. So I can't. Up until them I'd donated three pints, being O+, they always after me.
There is no such word as “alot”. “A lot” is two words.
Voltaire
Never seek for happiness, it will merely allude the seeker. Never strive for knowledge, it is beyond man's scope. Never think, for in though lies all the ills of mankind. The wise man, like the rat, the crocodile, the fly, merely fulfills his natural function.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:50PM
Chernobog at 10:34PM, Dec. 13, 2007
(offline)
Admittedly, I'm one of those folks who doesn't trust others enough with the possible undue acquisition of information that I can be harvested if I croak, so I see no reason to chance fate. The thoughts of those guys stealing bones from people and replacing them with PVC piping suggests its not that far off for the powerful and corrupt.

I was willing to give blood at an earlier age, having the uncommon universal donor blood type, but my blood became toxic to other people a few years later so no one wants it now.

“You tell yourself to just
enjoy the process,” he added. “That whether you succeed or fail, win or
lose, it will be fine. You pretend to be Zen. You adopt detachment, and
ironic humor, while secretly praying for a miracle.”
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:41AM
DAJB at 12:05AM, Dec. 14, 2007
(online)
Be warned …

“Is this all because he filled out one of those silly cards?”

(Almost certainly NSFW. Unless you work in an abbatoir.)

last edited on July 14, 2011 12:03PM
bobhhh at 2:50AM, Dec. 14, 2007
(offline)
DAJB
Be warned …

“Is this all because he filled out one of those silly cards?”

(Almost certainly NSFW. Unless you work in an abbatoir.)

Brilliant!!
My name is Bob and I approved this signature.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:29AM
kyupol at 1:24PM, Dec. 14, 2007
(online)
Donating organs is a cool thing to do. Imagine pieces of you living longer than your actual lifespan. God knows if the person you donated your organ to will decide to donate it to someone else when he/she dies.

It would be cool seeing a liver that has lived 3 generations. Its the same feeling I got when I saw this 1967 Chevy van and 1980 Pontiac Bonneville in the auto garage I used to work for. :D

Though I'm not sure if race can affect organ and blood donation. I'm just wondering if my body parts will function properly or cause health problems if given to someone of a different race (I'm brown).
NOW UPDATING!!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:25PM
ozoneocean at 1:53PM, Dec. 14, 2007
(online)
kyupol
Donating organs is a cool thing to do. Imagine pieces of you living longer than your actual lifespan.
That's a very cool thought ^_^
kyupol
Though I'm not sure if race can affect organ and blood donation. I'm just wondering if my body parts will function properly or cause health problems if given to someone of a different race (I'm brown).
HAHAHAHAHAHAHahahahaha! That gave me a big smile ^___^
Yeah, real biology is where the “race” fantasy blows up.
It's true certain groups of people are more likely to get certain diseases and things, but that's nothing to do with “race”, nothing at all, it's just the gene pool of those around you. -often doesn't match up with the racial fantasy group you're supposedly connected with. lol!

————————–

Sure, “donating” organs after you die to people who need them because of problems is ok, but what about the companies that buy and sell body parts and things made from body parts for various products and things that have nothing to do with saving lives? And again, what about those poor souls who sell their organs to people while they're still alive, or have their organs stolen- it does happen. There's quite a roaring trade in the poorer parts of the world, with desperate people being led to believe their only option is to sell much needed organs to third party body brokering companies… it's quite evil.

And I dunno about you, but while I'm cool with donating to people that need it after I die, there's no way in HELL any company is going to be making money off of MY body… I'll make sure I'm cremated and nothing is taken before that process. -_-

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:29PM
Aurora Moon at 2:38PM, Dec. 14, 2007
(offline)
I'm actually a listed donator on my own ID card and everything. And I certainly hasn't got any doctors chasing me down the street. ;)

And of course I'm registered with a respectable hospital organization, and not one of those disreputable companies that Ozoneocean listed up above.
I'm on hitatus while I redo one of my webcomics. Be sure to check it out when I'n done! :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:10AM
TnTComic at 3:26PM, Dec. 14, 2007
(offline)
I am not a donor because i'd like the paramedics to look at me like a person should they be called in the event of, say, a car accident… as opposed to reading my driver's license, having a smoke, and then carting me off to the butcher.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:31PM
Mister Mxyzptlk at 4:16PM, Dec. 14, 2007
(offline)
I marked yes on donating spare parts. After all, I'm not a baptist or some other weird sect of cross cultists who have a problem with it. However I doubt they'd want any of mine. The kidneys are trashed out already, the heart is not in great shape and my liver… ah well what can I say about the sacrifices my liver has made over the years. Absinthe, loving courtesan and harsh mistress all in the same bottle.

But yeah, if the lungs are worth anything or maybe some of my skin would do someone good after I'm done with it then so be it. It's just meat and once I'm dead I got no use for it. I just wish my wife and kid could get some cash from the sale of the organs. Might make the old estate something worth passing on.

The nice thing about marking the box is you don't really have to worry about disputes over the living will. If that meat can make the doctors a shitload of money they'll find a way to keep those nosey relatives from sticking you on life support for ten years.
My soul was removed to make room for all this sarcasm.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:04PM
Mister Mxyzptlk at 4:18PM, Dec. 14, 2007
(offline)
ozoneocean
there's no way in HELL any company is going to be making money off of MY body… I'll make sure I'm cremated and nothing is taken before that process.

And people think my priorities are out of wack…
Mister Mxyzptlk at 4:19PM, Dec. 14, 2007
(offline)
TnTComic
I am not a donor because i'd like the paramedics to look at me like a person should they be called in the event of, say, a car accident… as opposed to reading my driver's license, having a smoke, and then carting me off to the butcher.

Yes, because as we all know those crooked bastards get a cut off the organs they find…

Sheesh, and I'm the wacko with issues…
Hawk at 7:16PM, Dec. 14, 2007
(online)
I little girl in my neighborhood died in an accident a while back, and her liver was used to save the life of a little boy also living in my neighborhood. It was one of those bitter-sweet deals and it gave me a good impression of organ donation.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:46PM
bobhhh at 7:22PM, Dec. 14, 2007
(offline)
Hawk
I little girl in my neighborhood died in an accident a while back, and her liver was used to save the life of a little boy also living in my neighborhood. It was one of those bitter-sweet deals and it gave me a good impression of organ donation.

I'm a donor, not that many of my parts will be usuable by the time I'm trough with them, but if I can save one life or give someone back their sight, then mine time here will have meant something after I'm gone.
MagickLorelai at 12:07PM, Dec. 15, 2007
(online)
As I figure it, like many others have said here, that I have no use for my organs after I'm dead. If someone else's life can be saved, or made easier, because I had something they needed, then I'm all for it. I'm hesitant to donate blood, if only because I have a SERIOUS issue with needles.

Do I think a doctor might be hesitant to save me if he or she thinks that they can get organs off of me? Ehh…I hope not, but I'm not going to stress too much about it. Their motivations for saving or not saving my life could be for many factors beyond my supposedly valuable organs. Either way, if I die (regardless of the cause), I'd like my organs to go to good use, as opposed to just rotting or being cremated with me.

Wow, this is a morbid topic. :D

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:50PM
bobhhh at 12:50PM, Dec. 15, 2007
(offline)
MagickLorelai
I'm hesitant to donate blood, if only because I have a SERIOUS issue with needles.

I used to cringe at the thought of giving blood. I used to have a big phobiah about needles, couldn't look a the nurse when I was getting a flu shot!! It was kinda embarrasing, big strapping guy like me afraid of a tiny needle.

Then after years of being out of shape and sedentary, and getting hospitalized for pneumonia, I developed type 2 diabetes. Boy nothing cures your fear of needles like regular self administered insulin injections.

I dropped some weight and am off the injections now, and these days I yawn at most shots.

But now I can't give blood any more because of my condition!!!
arteestx at 1:51PM, Dec. 15, 2007
(online)
crazyninny
And with that, what is your view on blood donation? I come from a family of blood donators, and I might give some up for the cuase. What do you guys thing about this?
There are some people who save lives every day, like doctors, firemen, etc. I don't do any of that, but this is such an EASY way to literally save someone's life. I always try to donate blood every four or five months, and I've got the organ donor box checked for after I pass on (I'd like to think when that time comes my organs will be at least decent). I'm not a lifesaver every day like those other folks, but for an ordinary person like me, the least I can do is give up a little blood. It's easy, it doesn't hurt, it takes so little time, and it actually literally saves lives.

I remember right after 9/11, the blood banks were full of blood from people donating. Thing is, blood only has a certain shelf life (and ironically few people actually needed it simply because there were few injuries; you either died or were ok, not too many people in-between). Now the blood banks aren't near as full as emergency practitioners like, and that goodwill from after 9/11 has been forgotten. Please please please, take an hour some evening or on the weekend and donate blood. It doesn't hurt, it is ridiculously easy, you get a nice snack afterwards, and it literally saves lives.

Xolta is not intended for anyone under 18 years old.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:02AM
mishi_hime at 10:56PM, Dec. 16, 2007
(online)
I'm not giving blood or organs.
People just give it away like nothing, but it's a part of you.
I think that organs and blood should be considered carefully before giving it up.

blood is not a miracle, it can be quite dangerous.
if you put it in someone else, theres a chance that its the wrong type, or even have a deadly disease both of which will kill you.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:03PM
bobhhh at 11:40PM, Dec. 16, 2007
(offline)
mishi_hime
I think that organs and blood should be considered carefully before giving it up.

if you put it in someone else, theres a chance that its the wrong type, or even have a deadly disease both of which will kill you.

Your organs are technically not really a part of you anymore if you're dead. It is one of the few charitable acts you can perform that truly costs you nothing.

And if someone is in need of a blood transfusion, I would consider their chances of survival much better if there was blood in the blood bank even with the risk of getting the wrong or tainted blood, then if the blood bank was empty because of the type of fears you express above.
Aurora Moon at 5:09AM, Dec. 17, 2007
(offline)
bobhhh
mishi_hime

Your organs are technically not really a part of you anymore if you're dead. It is one of the few charitable acts you can perform that truly costs you nothing.

And if someone is in need of a blood transfusion, I would consider their chances of survival much better if there was blood in the blood bank even with the risk of getting the wrong or tainted blood, then if the blood bank was empty because of the type of fears you express above.

Yeah. and Imagine if you got into an car accident or some other disaster that caused you to lose a lot of blood. Then the only way your life could be saved was if somebody donated their blood to you.
I'm sure you'd feel differently about blood donation being a bad idea when it's YOUR life on the line.

you know the golden rule? Treat others as you would like to be treated? In this case it would be: “Do good for others as you would want others to do good by you.”
or something…
I'm on hitatus while I redo one of my webcomics. Be sure to check it out when I'n done! :)
Aussie_kid at 5:11AM, Dec. 17, 2007
(online)
Well, with blood, I'm too underweight to legally donate, so I can't until I fatten up. I would otherwise, because I'd be able to handle it.

As for organs. Well… I'm dead, what am I going to use them for? If I can save a ten year old girl from dying of a fatal liver disease caused by her idiot mother drinking alcohol during pregnancy, then I'm all for it

I don't get people who want to be buried ‘intact’. All you're doing is giving the maggots something extra to feast upon. I'm going to decompose into dust eventually, whether it be by decay or cremation, so I don't see the problem in there being less of me there when it happens.

That's really my view on the subject
Insanity Complex: We may not be insane, but we like to think we are
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:11AM
TnTComic at 8:31AM, Dec. 17, 2007
(offline)
Mister Mxyzptlk
TnTComic

Yes, because as we all know those crooked bastards get a cut off the organs they find…

Sheesh, and I'm the wacko with issues…

http://crookedtimber.org/2004/10/21/over-enthusiastic-organ-procurement

Hello, wacko.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:31PM
Mister Mxyzptlk at 9:11AM, Dec. 17, 2007
(offline)
TnTComic
Hello, wacko.

The article referred to an article from National Review. The NRO article, and to some degree the original article, spoke of a guy in Colorado who blew his brains out and had his organs harvested.

The coroner is trying to get the cause of death listed as “death by organ removal” because the diagnosis of brain death may have been premature. Seems a bit on the far out there side to try and prove your paranoid point that the ambulance crews are going to treat you differently based upon your organ donation status.

Seems to me that they may have treated him a bit cavalierly because he treated his own life rather cavalierly. After all, he blew his own brains out. If he wasn't dead then it's obvious he WANTED to be dead. So they fulfilled his wishes.

It's not like this was a story of a father of three who was in a coma and they tripped over the plug so they could harvest his organs. It was a suicide that they may have hastily diagnosed brain death based more on the volume of splatter on the walls than anything else…

So yeah, you're still the wacko. If people thought like you did then there would be no organs for donation and more folks would die from organ failures.
Aurora Moon at 9:16AM, Dec. 17, 2007
(offline)
I would have to agree with Mister Mxyzptlk…. As much as I dislike to.

Unless you live somewhere like China and is likely to become a prisoner on death sentence there, then you have nothing to worry about.
(for those who don't know, it seems that they have a system where some people need organs, then they “speed up” the death sentence of a prisoner with matching blood types, etc. The organs of the prisoner is then harvested.)
Mister Mxyzptlk at 9:17AM, Dec. 17, 2007
(offline)
Aussie_kid
I don't get people who want to be buried ‘intact’.

Baptists are real big on it. Something to do with how Gawd sees them in the afterlife of some such nonsense. I never will understand superstitions…

Aussie_kid
All you're doing is giving the maggots something extra to feast upon.

Actually you are giving your own bacteria more to eat… The maggots don't often get to the remains because you are six feet down. All the decomposition happens from what you take with you into the casket. The whole process in interesting.. and gross. Penn and Teller do a bit on their show “Bullshit” Season 2 Episode 9 “Death Incorporated” where they kinda show the whole process with a small coffin and some creative use of foam.
bobhhh at 9:18AM, Dec. 17, 2007
(offline)
TnTComic

Come on dude, one guy in Colorado, and there was an inquest and a big stink that procedure wasn't followed. You think after getting the eye they're likely to try it again? Isn't it just posssible it was a lax judgement in the first place, one that they are scared to repeat now that they are under scrutiny?

I think that you might want to consider the possibility that YOU might one day need a donated organ to live and the possibility of you not recieving one if everyone was to feel as you do.

I respect your fear, but further research might prove it to be unfounded and perhaps in the long run a bit dangerous.
Mister Mxyzptlk at 9:19AM, Dec. 17, 2007
(offline)
Aurora Moon
for those who don't know, it seems that they have a system where some people need organs, then they “speed up” the death sentence of a prisoner with matching blood types, etc. The organs of the prisoner is then harvested

Ain't socialized medicine great! Well, if you're one of the more equal animals I suppose…
Mister Mxyzptlk at 9:20AM, Dec. 17, 2007
(offline)
bobhhh
I think that you might want to consider the possibility that YOU might one day need a donated organ to live and the possibility of you not recieving one if everyone was to feel as you do.

Baptist are like that. They'll take but they wont give. Greedy bastards…
bobhhh at 9:26AM, Dec. 17, 2007
(offline)
I am thinking, in light of certain opinions expressed here, that refusing to donate your organs, which I feel is kind of a civic responsibility, should have some consequences.

Perhaps particpation in the donor program should be both ways, check the box and you both donate and are eligible to recieve organs, don't check and you are out of the system.

If that seems to draconian, perhaps consenting donors could at least be moved toward the front of the line to recieve the donated organs.

Of course an allowances could be made for people who medically can not donate their organs due to illness or chronic conditions that make them worthless as transplants.

Just a thought.
Mister Mxyzptlk at 10:04AM, Dec. 17, 2007
(offline)
bobhhh
I am thinking, in light of certain opinions expressed here, that refusing to donate your organs, which I feel is kind of a civic responsibility, should have some consequences.

Why not just make it illegal? Isn't that the first responce of the left?

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved