Debate and Discussion

Overpopulation = Shortage of Labour. o_0
kyupol at 8:42PM, April 2, 2007
(online)
It doesnt make any sense. The newspapers (of Canada) report overpopulation and labour shourtage at the same time.

Is there one big government conspiracy?

Like what the unions said… about a conspiracy to bring down the wages by flooding the labour market?

Any opinions on this issue?

Because it doesnt really make sense.

How the heck can overpopulation = shortage of labour?

NOW UPDATING!!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:25PM
subcultured at 9:16PM, April 2, 2007
(online)
it depends what kind of labor it is
J
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:02PM
Aurora Moon at 12:20AM, April 3, 2007
(offline)
subcultured
it depends what kind of labor it is

yep. not all of the population would actually favor some types of hard labor.. espeically not if it paid very little money.

the majority would rather have cushy jobs…comfortable, easy to medium work.. and a whole shitload of money.

they don't think too well of being say.. an car repair person, or even being an park takecarer espeically if you have to spend all day raking, picking up animal poop, picking up trash and the like…
I'm on hitatus while I redo one of my webcomics. Be sure to check it out when I'n done! :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:10AM
ozoneocean at 2:07AM, April 3, 2007
(online)
Canada is physically one of the most underpopulated nations on the earth. I think it might actually be the most underpopulated nation. lol!

Funny eh? I think so.

Australia is right up there on that scale too, so because of that I think I might know what they mean. Perhaps, like Australia, Canada simply can not support a larger population comfortably? Australia is a massive country, but only the very edges of the coast can support large populations because there simply isn't enough water elsewhere. That's a gross simplification but broadly true. I take it Canada encompasses a bit of the Arctic? Not the most hospitable of places…

But there are other things. Depending on infrastructure and political systems your country may not be in a position to provide adequate services for so large an amount of people; things like government funded healthcare, pensions, the provision and supply of electricity, sewerage, water etc. even transportation infrastructure like roads, airports, railways and public transport systems are factors. ALL of these things come under strain if the population increases beyond their limits to cope with it! So when they do come under strain, excess population equals overpopulation.
-(The limits can be increased and they are, but it takes a lot of investment, forward planning, prediction and allowances for certain rates of population growth. If there are errors with that, problems persist and things go downhill.)

This is what people just don't realise… the world doesn't work in some kind of simple two dimensional way; it's damn bloody complicated. :(

As for labour shortages, the problem is likely one of a lack of skilled labour, for certain tasks.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:26PM
Black_Kitty at 8:48AM, April 3, 2007
(online)
Can we have a link to that article?

Just that I'm not quite understanding the confusion but I suspect it's confusion on my part. To me it makes perfect sense. If there's too many people but not enough job openings, then that results in shortage of labour.

It is currently happening with teachers as well. Unless you're teaching math, science, or technology (as well as special education and ESL) then the influx of teachers applies to you. The TDSB supposedly get 3000 applications every year but they only take in roughly 450 since that's about how much they actually need.

last edited on July 14, 2011 11:24AM
kingofsnake at 10:26AM, April 3, 2007
(online)
there are always openings for bill collectors
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:16PM
reconjsh at 4:05PM, April 3, 2007
(online)
kyupol
It doesnt make any sense. The newspapers (of Canada) report overpopulation and labour shourtage at the same time.

Is there one big government conspiracy?

Like what the unions said… about a conspiracy to bring down the wages by flooding the labour market?

Any opinions on this issue?

Because it doesnt really make sense.

How the heck can overpopulation = shortage of labour?
I don't really know what's going on… but I'd say that your statement “overpopulation = shortage of labour” is possible. The type of people of the population in question is certainly a factor. If the people don't want to or are unable to work… then population has a lesser relevance on “shortages of labour”.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:02PM
subcultured at 4:23PM, April 3, 2007
(online)
maybe there are more people who work in offices that was layed off, but won't do menial jobs like picking up trash or mowing lawns.

or

maybe there are jobs too educated for people to get in. people that just have a highschool education can't get a job as a position that requires an MBA
J
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:02PM
reconjsh at 4:55PM, April 3, 2007
(online)
subcultured
maybe there are jobs too educated for people to get in. people that just have a highschool education can't get a job as a position that requires an MBA
That' s a good point. For instance, in Michigan we're having one of the hardest economic times the state has ever seen, despite the relative national okay-edness/success. But, there is a severe shortage of people in certain professions that require specific post-secondary training… like “nurses” for example.

Also, if there's an overpopulation… that means there's more need for some jobs to exist.

Point being as before - there's more to it than “overpopulation and job shortages don't mesh”.

I've never had a problem getting a job ever before, during or after any stage of my life where I wanted to work… but I probably don't represent the average american and sometimes I unfairly project my experiences on others… “Anyone can find work if they look for it”. This is not the case when I actually look at the data… but it's something I find myself thinking at times.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:02PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved