Media Megaforum

Paranormal Activity
SarahN at 9:11PM, Sept. 26, 2009
(online)
…the movie that is, not the comic:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_UxLEqd074

I'm definitely interested at least. Really terrifying or just over-hyped as hell? It's only playing in a few, select theaters right now, anyone seen it? They're not showing much of anything in the trailer, don't know if that's a good or bad sign…

I don't like how they keep calling it the next “Blair Witch” though. I know it's filmed documentary-esque and all…but Blair Witch wasn't scary. >_>
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:24PM
elektro at 10:24PM, Sept. 26, 2009
(online)
Blair Witch wasn't even the first of its kind: a movie called “The Last Broadcast”, which is also a “docu-horror” film, came out a year before Blair Witch.

As for the trailer, I'd like to comment on it, but my connection is not handling video at the moment.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:21PM
lefarce at 10:05AM, Sept. 27, 2009
(online)
I swear I'm immune to these horror movies, nothing has really scared me in them. Except for this preview, which mostly just creeped the shit out of me.

Too bad the movie will probably suck. vOv

I'll still end up seeing Paranormal Activity though. While it may not scare me, it still looks like a really interesting film and worth the time and money.

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:34PM
Product Placement at 11:29AM, Sept. 27, 2009
(online)
SarahN
It's only playing in a few, select theaters right now, anyone seen it?
Yeah, apparently they're attempting to use viral marketing to the fullest extent. Instead of campaigning themselves to have the theater chains pick up their movie, they let the fans do all the dirty work. The idea of the trailer is to show us how the audience reacts to it, thus attempting to increase our interest. If you go to their main website, you'll see a button labeled “Demand it”. By clicking it, you're diverted to a list of cities, located in and around the area you live in. Personally I find the whole viral marketing to be very annoying. How cheap do you have to be to decide to let the public do all the work for you?

Not expecting much from this movie. Stuff like Blair Witch, Cloverfield and Quarantine are being done because it's a fairly cheap way to produce movies. It's also fairly shitty.
Those were my two cents.
If you have any other questions, please deposit a quarter.
This space for rent.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:51PM
ParkerFarker at 5:42PM, Sept. 27, 2009
(online)
lefarce
I swear I'm immune to these horror movies, nothing has really scared me in them. Except for this preview, which mostly just creeped the shit out of me.

Yeah, that's cause they don't hide anything from you. Instead of implying something gruesome, they show it (in CGI) and it's just gross, not scary. I watched The Last House on The Left the other day, it was terrible. But the new Friday the 13th? It was complete horse shit. The whole movie was in the dark and you couldn't see anything except for when they showed the the blood and the tits. No substance. All these new hollywood horror movies are all the same!

Paranormal Activity looks like it could be ok, but probably not.

“We are in the stickiest situation since Sticky the stick insect got stuck on a sticky bun.” - Blackadder
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:39PM
shikaruchan at 10:27PM, Oct. 8, 2009
(online)
that looks really cool … i really wish it was playing in my neck of the woods though:(
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:33PM
Sea_Cow at 11:36AM, Oct. 9, 2009
(offline)
The 70's Grindhouse trailer returns! YES!
I am so happy to finally be back home
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:27PM
mr_thin at 11:43AM, Oct. 11, 2009
(offline)
Product Placement
Yeah, apparently they're attempting to use viral marketing to the fullest extent. Instead of campaigning themselves to have the theater chains pick up their movie, they let the fans do all the dirty work. The idea of the trailer is to show us how the audience reacts to it, thus attempting to increase our interest. If you go to their main website, you'll see a button labeled “Demand it”. By clicking it, you're diverted to a list of cities, located in and around the area you live in. Personally I find the whole viral marketing to be very annoying. How cheap do you have to be to decide to let the public do all the work for you?

Not expecting much from this movie. Stuff like Blair Witch, Cloverfield and Quarantine are being done because it's a fairly cheap way to produce movies. It's also fairly shitty.

Yes, well I cry shenanigans. I just got an e-mail yesterday telling me they just received a million demands so they're going to release it nationwide on the 16th. Right…so, they just figured they'd make all those prints of the movie and then not use them if the fans didn't demand it enough…or are we supposed to believe they're going to make/ship enough prints of the film for the 16th? Ha!

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:08PM
SpANG at 7:56PM, Oct. 18, 2009
(online)
I hate to say it, but it seems kind of lame.

Blair Witch was special not only because it's “documentary” style, but because at the time people didn't know if it was a real documentary or not. And it was weeks after the release before that was revealed. That curve ball can never be thrown at us again, specifically because of that movie.
“To a rational mind, nothing is inexplicable. Only unexplained.”
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:53PM
Hawk at 11:25AM, Oct. 19, 2009
(online)
I just watched this over the weekend and I really enjoyed it. Probably because I didn't know much of what to expect, and I like scary movies that burn slow and build up to something good.

Plus, the good scary movies are the ones that stick with you after you leave the theater, and this one did for me.

By the way, I've never seen that Blair Witch movie, so that might be a factor in why I liked Paranormal Activity so much.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:47PM
fern at 7:01PM, Oct. 20, 2009
(online)
I saw it over the weekend due to wide release and I might say… much like Hawk this movie also stuck with me. Although I was expecting a whole lot more – the suspense was more than enough to win me over.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:28PM
Hawk at 9:52AM, Oct. 28, 2009
(online)
If you're interested, here's the original ending to Paranormal Activity, fully viewable right online. Naturally it's a spoileer to anyone who hasn't seen the movie yet.

I prefer the ending they went with for the theatrical release, but it's fun to see another direction they were thinking of taking it.
fern at 9:14PM, Oct. 30, 2009
(online)
Yeah, I had downloaded the DVDrip of the film and was freaked out when the ending changed… turns out I was watching the 2007 version. Hope they add both endings in the Blu Ray.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:28PM
gullas at 3:39PM, Nov. 4, 2009
(online)
I just saw it tonight… the 2007 ending.

It was rather scary but imo in the end, I felt like it wasn't going anywhere, rather dull after the suspense and excitement they'd been making…
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:40PM
skreem at 7:10PM, Nov. 28, 2009
(offline)
What happens in the ‘alternate ending’? youtube have removed it :(
The version I saw she just stabbed him and threw him into the camera then spazzed out a bit :s

last edited on July 14, 2011 3:44PM
Hawk at 10:17AM, Nov. 29, 2009
(online)
skreem
What happens in the ‘alternate ending’? youtube have removed it :(
The version I saw she just stabbed him and threw him into the camera then spazzed out a bit :s

In the alternate ending she comes back to the room alone, sits next to the bed, and rocks back and forth for quite some time. It jumps ahead to the daytime and she's still rocking back and forth in the bedroom. You hear her sister come in downstairs, ask if anybody's home, then scream as she finds the guy's body. You hear her run out of the house.

It jumps ahead to the night time again, and she's still rocking back and forth beside the bed. You can hear a few police officers enter the house and search it. They find the guy's body. As they come upstairs, the girl snaps out of her trance and comes running out of the bedroom, the kitchen knife still in her hand. “Micah! Micah!” she yells, but the police officers see a crazy girl with a knife running toward them and they shoot her. She dies right there. The policemen continue to search upstairs and one of them finds the video camera. It ends there.

Puff_Of_Smoke at 7:58AM, Nov. 30, 2009
(offline)
The hauntees overreacted a lot.

All I have to say.
I
I have a gun. It's really powerful. Especially against living things.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:56PM
SarahN at 12:52AM, Dec. 1, 2009
(online)
I….think I like the sound of the alternate ending better.
Maybe just because there's no silly demonic faces involved.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:24PM
ERasER at 3:39AM, Dec. 1, 2009
(online)
I haven't seen it myself but I do hear its supposed to be terrifying, my friends (who have seen it) say that once i watch I will lose a couple of nights sleep ^^
BackSeat Gamers
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:22PM
FuglyCharlie at 3:48PM, Dec. 4, 2009
(offline)
I couldn't sleep the whole night I saw this movie. It gave ME the chills.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:31PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved