Debate and Discussion

Paying kids for good grades.
crazyninny at 8:29PM, Feb. 10, 2008
(online)
Now, we've all heard, or have been paid money by our parents to get good grades.
And now, a school is paying kids to study in school to get good grades.

But, is paying kids to get good grades really the answer? Like, if a family has a kid that gets really good grades, and another kid that got really bad grades, would it seem fair to the less smater kid?

DISCUSSE!!! DEBATE!!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:49AM
kyupol at 8:43PM, Feb. 10, 2008
(online)
Now, we've all heard, or have been paid money by our parents to get good grades.

I was never given anything or rewarded for good grades because it was a normal thing for me. Rest of preschool until 3rd grade I was always getting ‘A’s

Back then I had no idea whatsoever about the bigger picture. All I cared about was going to school and getting high grades and feeling good about it.

The only ‘reward’ was this stamp on your hand after the day. A star for good behavior and good grades, and a frog for bad behavior and bad grades. :) I routinely got stars and it made me feel good.

But, is paying kids to get good grades really the answer?

I see a good point and a bad point about paying kids to get good grades.

Good points:
- It motivates them more.
- If the kid came from a closely-knit family where resources are consolidated, it would be better for the family. The cash the kid makes might be enough to pay for part of the week's groceries. The other factor would also be how much will the kid be paid. It has to be in writing like a law book in order to avoid confusion.

Bad points:
- Encourages a culture of materialism.
- The parents might pressure the kid to get good grades because the kid is officially now another cash cow.
NOW UPDATING!!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:25PM
Aurora Moon at 9:23PM, Feb. 10, 2008
(offline)
kyupol
Bad points:
- Encourages a culture of materialism.
- The parents might pressure the kid to get good grades because the kid is officially now another cash cow.

Kids are already material from birth, if you look at it a certain way.

Babies demand constant attention–milk, shelter, etc. All they know is to ask for things… crying is their way of saying: “I want this, or that. I need it.” And clothing, warmth, etc is all maternal things. Albeit necessary in nature.

And even as they grow up, they still have that selfishness nature because they're used to being given things that they needed. And of course they haven't yet learned the difference between “NEED” and “WANT”.

I have a 4-year-old nephew who gets “Emo” sometimes because he cannot differate between needing or wanting something. He's given all that he needs. Clothing, food, etc. But if he doesn't get the toys he wants, then he sometimes think this is his parents' way of telling him that they hate him, when this is not so. Of course, he gets over this and just plays like normal. But sometimes that thought is struck in his head for a while. And it's his parents are still teaching him about the differences between “need” and “want”. And in a lot of ways, even if he doesn't mean to be, he's rather materialistic and selfish sometimes.
He'd say things like: “You get me those nice clothes and shoes I need. So why not the toys that I need too?!”
And his parents would say: “You already have some toys at home. And no, you do not need those new toys. Deal with it.”

Not a result of bad parenting, it seems to be the nature of kids. They were born to depend on others for things until they get to that age where they want to be indepent, after all.

They also can very cruel and greedy thanks to that same natural trait… where they haven't grasped the conpect that the world does not revolve around them. All they know is that they were born, and they were being taken care of by people who gave them all the things they needed. They haven't fully grasped the idea of the effect they have on others if they happen to say hurtful things, etc. They also haven't gotten the idea of how to take responsibility for it at that age too.

That's what parenting is all about– to wean them out of this selfish nature, and to instill the morals of taking responsibly for their actions… to know the difference between “need” and “want”. And if a parent does his/her job right, then The kids will recognize that the money is merely only a reward for their hard work. And save up that money for something they need rather than want.
And of course, some might make mistakes with that money. but making mistakes and learning from it is also a part of life.

As for using kids as cash cows… Sorry, some “parents” are already doing that. Governmental checks just for having babies, etc. But in a way I agree that maybe such a system shouldn't be implemented. Because it could cause some parents to go overboard in pressuring their kids to have good grades, etc.

I do agree with some of your other points though.
I'm on hitatus while I redo one of my webcomics. Be sure to check it out when I'n done! :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:10AM
Hawk at 8:57AM, Feb. 11, 2008
(online)
My little brother was consistently more challenged in scholastic matters than I was. Therefore, if he ever got better than a C on his report card, my parents took him out to dinner. However, if I ever dipped below an A on my report card, my parents would punish me. But as I recall, my brother only got the restaurant treatment a few times and I never actually needed to be punished.

I think it's totally fine to reward a child for good grades, but I would prefer that it was the parents rewarding the kids. I can't exactly explain why. I think one reason is that money like that could be better used to improve the school in some way, an possibly improve the quality of education for everyone (which is what we're going for, right?)
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:46PM
alibaba at 9:47AM, Feb. 11, 2008
(offline)
i've heard of this and i honestly don't like the idea.

schools should be about learning, they should encourage children to enjoy getting knowledge, and not money.

rather than this kind of system i would prefer the schools support.
so for example if a student is interested in a subject, they should offer equipment and extra-courses, etc.

also, paying by grades is extremely shallow. grades don't tell much about actual skill or interest at all. the students would concentrate on ways to get more money (cheating anyone?) rather than learning.
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:49AM
Custard Trout at 10:32AM, Feb. 11, 2008
(offline)
So is this the answer to every problem? Of course it is, and I support it because I'm a not filthy commie.

Really though, this may work in the short term, but in the long term? No. What happened to that encouraging thing that was so popular for a while? You know, when we noticed a kid taking interest in a subject, then tried to nuture and aid that interest?

I used to many question marks in this post? Are you sure?
Hey buddy, you should be a Russian Cosmonaut, and here's why.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:00PM
Vagabond at 6:19PM, Feb. 11, 2008
(online)
Basic principles of behavior analysis would say that this could, at best, work for the short term. Because eventually, the prospect of money will stop being as appealing as it was originally, so it won't work as a motivator anymore. Which then leaves you with the situation you had before: the kids who are intrinsically motivated will keep on doing good work, while the kids who were extrinsically motivated will stop caring.

Now if you'd really want to rock the boat, abolish grades altogether. I'd be a total fan of that.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:38PM
zaneeba_slave at 8:33PM, Feb. 11, 2008
(online)
If I had a dollar for every non-faling grade I got this year, I'd have 4 dollars…

THe truth is I suck at school. I'd rather sit and watch TV or play a game or something.
I like to imagine myself as a goblin in a tuxedo. -Zaneeba_slave
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:54PM
rmmanuel at 9:44PM, Feb. 11, 2008
(offline)
If I would have been paid, I would have worked harder.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:08PM
alibaba at 4:27AM, Feb. 12, 2008
(offline)
hmm, i know!
how about taking money for bad grades instead of giving money for good ones :D ?

fear has been proven as a most efficient tool throughout history.
having money taken will surely sky-rocket the grades of all the students!

/sarcasm
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:49AM
horseboy at 9:25PM, Feb. 16, 2008
(offline)
Well, the way I hear it you get $ for improving your grades. So all you've got to do is tank a semester then work normal next and make phat $$$. This of course would damage any chance you'd have in the long run of academics, like getting a scholarship. Me? Nah, it wouldn't have helped me anyway. I was always on academic probation for Beta because I didn't care, but was smart enough I didn't have to apply myself.
There is no such word as “alot”. “A lot” is two words.
Voltaire
Never seek for happiness, it will merely allude the seeker. Never strive for knowledge, it is beyond man's scope. Never think, for in though lies all the ills of mankind. The wise man, like the rat, the crocodile, the fly, merely fulfills his natural function.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:50PM
humorman at 2:27AM, March 6, 2008
(offline)
I can understand parents rewarding their kids for good grades, but to create a program for this? Kids today are already spoiled. I see preschoolers with iPods, and teenagers getting brand new cars right after they get their licenses. It's like were teaching kids that doing hard work is good as long as we can get some material item out of it. This is why the 00's suck more than ever. I might be a little nostalgic, but I know there are a lot of things that were better in the 80's and 90's than the present. For example, look at the media nowadays. Instead of sitcoms with thought out scripts like Married… with Children and That 70's Show, we have crappy reality shows that are supposedly “unscripted real entertainment”, but the contestants usually have corny dialog that's obviously been written before hand. Sure, it wasn't so bad when shows like American Idol were out, but now shows have become completely worse including Flavor of Love, The Moment of Truth, and The Hills. Instead of quality entertainment, network producers are looking for something cheap that they can milk to stupid people that read the tabloids and constantly quote the most unoriginal Family Guy jokes. I can already see what the future is going to be like: Epic Movie 4 is going to be the biggest box office hit since Epic Movie 3, all cartoons will be done in Macromedia Flash with all the animation motion tweened, and there will probably be another “amazing” reality show about who can be the best prostitute or who can become the fattest person in America. It's maddening, I tell you!!!

Billy vs. Tree – The epic struggle of boy versus tree.
Sonic Colores – It looks like it's going to be a good game because I love how the way it makes me grow.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:51PM
Hawk at 8:54AM, March 6, 2008
(online)
I agree with a lot of things you said up there, except for which TV shows you chose to represent good, thought-out sitcoms.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:46PM
fazz33 at 6:10PM, March 6, 2008
(offline)
Ya… I pretty well totally disagree with this. Paying for learning. School shouldn't directly be about makeing money. School is place for people to learn and find their passion in life, if you toss more material gain in there, greed will take over and grasp the kid until they end up a middle aged man/woman who works just for money and lacks any passion in their workplace. I realise that this is pretty much the system now, but lets not instill that kind of mentality into kids, plus I still beleive that finding work you love is possible.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:25PM
Aussie_kid at 3:36AM, March 7, 2008
(online)
During my first few years of Primary School, if I got good marks on my end of year report, I'd get a book or something (I'm an absolute nerd, so sue me). Knowing this, it encouraged me to do better. Then the rewards stopped and I lost a little motivation.

I see it as a way of making sure kids have the most they can out of life. Good results means more chance at a high paying job, which means success. In life, when we are successful we are rewarded with money that we have earned. This thing about paying good kids is really the same thing. They succeed in their studies, and so should be rewarded for it. It would also insert into them the mentality that hard work can give great rewards, causing them to try their best.

Inshort, I'm in favour for this sort of stuff
Insanity Complex: We may not be insane, but we like to think we are
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:11AM
Daxy at 9:32AM, March 9, 2008
(online)
I've never been much for getting paid because of good grades. I always found it kind of faulty. I can understand praise and maybe some sort of reward…but not so much money. I also think it's be better left to the parents.

Then..different things work for different people. Just knowing my own personality and such I realise this wouldn't work for me or encourage me in any way…rather I'd become severely skeptical and may encourage myself to do badly. However it would definately work for some.
*edits*
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:09PM
blntmaker at 10:34PM, March 11, 2008
(online)
Paid to get good grades? Really? This is what its suppose to be…

“Hey, you got a 4.5 GPA - here's a full ride to Harvard”.

We truly live in the age of entitlement. What ever happened to going to school to get a good education because that's what you're SUPPOSE to do? What happened to the INTERNAL gratification of a job well done? Better yet, knowing the difference between a monetary and simply holding a child to a high standard?

Have the times changed THAT much? I quote Charlie Brown: “Good grief”.

last edited on July 14, 2011 11:26AM
Marguati at 5:28PM, March 13, 2008
(offline)
hmmm… I', not sure I got it right: are you talking about some kind of merit-based scolarship? I'm against parents ‘paying’ kids who get good grades (it's exchanging work for money, parenthood shouldn't be a sort of boss-employee relationship) but I totally agree with a school (or a state, or whatever) who encourage students via some kind of reward. It's basically the school (or state, or whatever) saying: “acknowledging your position as a promising member of society, we're giving you an aid to your studies (or to pick on hookers, your choice)”. hopefully, in a more proper english.
anyway, without scolarship I'd have to find a job (a real one, I mean) to pay the rent, so Go scolarship!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:51PM
rabidmochi at 6:07PM, March 15, 2008
(offline)
You never know what the kid might spend it on, so you should just buy something they would like after they get good grades for like a year or so.

I also think that dumber kids shouldn't deserve as much, because they are most probably almost equal in intelligence to start with. Besides, dumb kids turn into dropouts, and then turn into those work-free parent leechers who live in their parents' basements.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:57PM
Marguati at 4:29AM, March 17, 2008
(offline)
I wouldn't be so harsh to “dumb” kids… after all, any kid can make its way through primary to, say, high school providing teachers/parents are giving them the all support they need. I know it's not fair to give ALL the blame to parents, but if the kid has serious problems they probably could have done better
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:51PM
Lethologica at 9:33AM, March 17, 2008
(offline)
rabidmochi
I also think that dumber kids shouldn't deserve as much, because they are most probably almost equal in intelligence to start with. Besides, dumb kids turn into dropouts, and then turn into those work-free parent leechers who live in their parents' basements.

Coming from a school full of “dumb” kids who get good grades merely because they work very, very hard, I'd have to disagree with you. Besides, I personally know of more very bright and clever individuals who turn into “work-free parent leechers who live in their parents' basements” than “dumb” people.

Grades have never been a big concern to me because my parents never cared about them either. If I get good grades - oh, good, go clean your room. If I get F's - oh, too bad, go clean your room. I probably wouldn't be failing so many classes if I had some sort of material source of motivation, haha. There are of course some kids who are inherently motivated to do well on their own, but the motivation that parents and schools provide do play a huge role in how devoted a student is to the maintenance of good grades. Some kids get by just with words of encouragement or with parents' setting a good example; some kids need to be bribed with money. Isn't what works best up to the individual?
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:34PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved