Comic Talk, Tips and Tricks

pencil art
remag at 6:25PM, Jan. 25, 2006
(offline)
can anyone give me some tips because im trying this style out and would like to get better at it
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:04PM
ccs1989 at 6:44PM, Jan. 25, 2006
(online)
I don't like pencil done comics most of the time because they give off the feeling of lazy-ness. You'll need to draw a shitload of background and other little details to justify drawing in pencil, and it'll have to be drawn cleanly. Some would probably say it's harder to pull of well than inked or colored comics.
http://ccs1989.deviantart.com

“If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.”
-Henry David Thoreau, Walden
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:37AM
mykill at 7:05PM, Jan. 25, 2006
(online)
Finished pencil art is… a bitch. I have seen it done very well. I'd have to reccomend drawing your comic loosely and then DRAWING IT AGAIN on a fresh piece of paper thru a light table. So there are no distracting composition lines, which in pencil are visable despite erasing.

For shading, you hand will have a tendency to smudge that requires control. Control it like a dip pen inker and progress from a top corner to the opposite corner below so the hand is mostly touching fresh paper . -Or work like an animator with gloves to minimize unintentional smudging.

If you simply want the flexability of shading pencil offers, but would really prefer ink otherwise - the solution is something called coquille board. This is a board similar to bristol, but the surface is dimpled. Take a china marker and you can mark this dimpled paper with shading like a pencil. But the result is pure black and white and reproduceable by offset press.

Howard Chaykin almost always uses coqille boarde for everything - he's made it almost made a signature style of it. I used it briefly long ago when I was having Itha-Cat published.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:09PM
remag at 7:14PM, Jan. 25, 2006
(offline)
i wouldn't know how to use a pen…. i can't ink -.-;
Elysium at 7:26PM, Jan. 25, 2006
(offline)
inking is just like drawing in pencil. just that its perminant, and it has one shade. you can't not know how to do it. id' say just practice. choose what type of inkage you wanna do, look stuff up. personally, i'm a hatching freak. showing shading in ink is different than pencil, its the white space between the lines of pen. farther apart lines means lighter, and lines close together gives it more of a darker tone. just PRACTICE. that's what i'd say.

and on the idea of pencil comics, it gives it a lot more casual, lazier look, and it makes the reader feel like they've been cheated out of a good looking comic. Not that pencil comics can't look nice, just the ones i've encountered have been really draft-ish, and it doesn't give it a nice appeal. i'd go with either inking or inking and colouring.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:21PM
ozoneocean at 8:51PM, Jan. 25, 2006
(online)
Isn't Mega Tokyo Pencil art? I've only seen about one or two pages of it but I think it was pencil and it looked good.

Pencil art can look very good, but you can't do much with it. Colouring pencil art is a lot more difficult than colouring ink. But if you're good with pencil and can get a clean, finished look, then by ALL means leave it in pencil rather than fuck it up with a shoddy toneless inking.
I'm only saying that because that's what happened to the first few pages of my own comic.

Mykill’s got some intricate advice there. Intricate but good. :D
I saw your pencil art and I can see ALL of your construction lines. The art is good, but seeing those lines is bad. DO the light table thing like Mykill says. Even a window will work.
The only thing I can add is that if you erase lines, never wipe away the bits and never blow them away either: use a brush or a feather to avoid smudges. Never touch your page. If you need to rest your hand while you work, then put a thin sheet of plastic (like a plastic fruit bag or something), on top of the work where you need to rest your hand.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:23PM
spidermonkeyred at 5:58AM, Jan. 26, 2006
(offline)
You can cheat a little on the inking. Just do a light penciling job and then ink the lines you like. Wait for it to dry and then use a white plastic eraser, I recomend either a Pentel (found at your local Wal-Mart) or a Staedtler Mars Plastic eraser, both are good. Theses erasers will run you about $0.40-$1.00 US.
Now you have the line art ready for the more dangerous and permanent shading.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:54PM
remag at 9:45AM, Jan. 26, 2006
(offline)
well the reason all those lines are in that page is because i sent it to magick
as a rough draft not a finished peice (theres not even background or shading) and it just got put in.

the page im working on now is an acual final draft not some thing i drew in a hour with only one pencil type
magicalmisfits at 6:28PM, Jan. 26, 2006
(online)
I believe Micheal of Pinky is correct about Mega Tokyo being pencil. Another example if I remember correctly is “Crap I drew on my Lunch Break.” My apology to Jin if i Butchered that title. I can't think of any other stand outs off top a my head. It seems to me that the common thread of both of them is busy panels with lotsa back ground and props. Also pretty good art with good prespective (especailly Tokyo). Ink will not save bad art. But I think it will hide some sins! (I'm counting on it actually). Good Pencil art in my humble opinion is more work than Inked work.
http://www.drunkduck.com/Magical_Misfits/
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:50PM
remag at 6:35PM, Jan. 26, 2006
(offline)
the reason i like pencil is because of the soft look it brings and inking is good when i want somthing to stand out but when i need gentel shadows and gradients pencil is what i use and i was just asking if there were any tips of the trade not wheather it shows lazyness because thats all relative.
mykill at 7:11PM, Jan. 26, 2006
(online)
I most definitly reccomend you get your hands on some china markers (the wax markers you unwrap the paper off of) and coquille board to experiement with ink printable ‘pencil shading’ techniques to accent your ink lines.

The effect isn't as subtle or ‘soft’ as real pencil, but if you want the flexability of pencil shading in inked work - this is the way to approach it. You can photocopy the result and it will look PERFECT. You can have it printed on offset press, no halftoning required! It's PRINT READY shading! The only problem is the distinct telltale dimpled texture of the shading.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:09PM
remag at 6:01PM, Feb. 2, 2006
(offline)
alright look at my new page, of mythery, what can i improve with the art
ShadowsMyst at 9:14AM, Feb. 3, 2006
(online)
The contrast needs some work. You can either crank the contrast when you scan it, or get some softer pencils (2B, 4B, etc) to put hard dark lines in shadows and around foreground figures to give them some definition from the background.

Don't be afraid of shadows. Shadows are your friends.

last edited on July 14, 2011 3:32PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved