Comic Talk and General Discussion *

Pencil grip...
Ryan_Scott at 4:15PM, May 27, 2009
(online)
Does anybody in here know of any research or articles or anything that have been written regarding how we grip our pencils?

The reason I ask is that I have quite an unorthodox grip, always have, and through my entire childhood I was tormented by teachers for holding my pencil WRONG! Despite their best efforts they never changed me and NOW I've noticed that my 4 year old daughter has adopted the same grip that I have always used… just wanted to learn a little more about it.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:15PM
HippieVan at 4:27PM, May 27, 2009
(online)
I think that if it works for you, and you can write legibly, that kind of thing shouldn't matter. I had this horrible teacher in first and second grade who would always get mad at me for writing wrong. I can't remember what it is…I write my letters from bottom to top instead of top to bottom or something silly like that. She actually phoned my parents once because I was writing my 2s wrong. And you know what? I can write completely legibly, and redonculously fast.
This woman also tried to get my friend, who is left-handed, to write with her right hand…just crazy stuff.
I think some teachers have their priorities mixed up.
Duchess of Friday Newsposts and the holy Top Ten
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:49PM
Product Placement at 4:27PM, May 27, 2009
(online)
I don't know. Humans are adaptable creatures and if you can make a certain grip work for you, it will probably do just fine.

In my opinion, it sounds like your teachers were just a bunch of douches.

I remember a teacher who yelled at me for doing writing 7 “wrong”. She wanted me to write a line through the middle of it so that it looked like a hybrid of a cross and 7. Apparently she considered that to be the best way to determine the difference between 7 and 1 because she demanded that we also write our 1's with that small line coming out at the top. Man what a dumb bitch. She placed me in one of those special classes and it turned out years later that I didn't belong to those classes at all. My mother had to fight against the decision of that one narrow minded whore for years.

Sorry for the harsh words but it's hard to think positively towards a person like that.
Those were my two cents.
If you have any other questions, please deposit a quarter.
This space for rent.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:50PM
Disgruntledrm at 4:53PM, May 27, 2009
(online)
Up until 7th grade I got guff from my teachers for my handwriting….and the way I gripped my pencil. I hold it a bit awkwardly, and can only write for about 2 hours consecutively before my hand goes numb, because I have a vice-like grip…as a result, I have to sharpen my pencils often, because the lead is always breaking. Plus, I'm left-handed…and most lefties get yelled at for it…

I'd say it's just what suits you, and says nothing about your personality or mental development…
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:12PM
Ryan_Scott at 5:04PM, May 27, 2009
(online)
Who the hell needs to write for 2 hours not stop at any rate? That's cruel and unusual punishment.

I was at my Daughters Kindergarten for the morning recently and her teaching asked me to set the table, with the handles on the cups all facing the same direction to encourage right handedness… this shit scares me, as a parent
Custard Trout at 5:12PM, May 27, 2009
(offline)
Did you tell her to get stuffed? I would have.

And Hippie, I write from bottom to top as well. It's not that unusual.
Hey buddy, you should be a Russian Cosmonaut, and here's why.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:02PM
Ryan_Scott at 6:44PM, May 27, 2009
(online)
nah I don't because the last thing I want to do is cause shit in front of a class full of 4 year olds… but it was weird as shit.
Chernobog at 9:01PM, May 27, 2009
(offline)
I had the same thing with pens/pencils too. Never changed, but lord, how they tried. They made me put a strange little plastic mold over the pencil which was supposed to make me hold it correctly. All I could recall is my handwriting never improved from it, but made writing VERY painful to do. I despised it and they basically gave it up.

My handwriting is still a bizarre looking mash of stroke lines (my mother recently said my signature was like a doctor's). As for the pen/pencils, I still hold them with the backs facing the opposite direction of myself. Even when I draw, I ‘scratch’ lines into place rather than simply make them.

“You tell yourself to just
enjoy the process,” he added. “That whether you succeed or fail, win or
lose, it will be fine. You pretend to be Zen. You adopt detachment, and
ironic humor, while secretly praying for a miracle.”
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:41AM
Product Placement at 10:34PM, May 27, 2009
(online)
Chernobog
They made me put a strange little plastic mold over the pencil which was supposed to make me hold it correctly.
Hey! I remember those things. They had them at my school as well.
Those were my two cents.
If you have any other questions, please deposit a quarter.
This space for rent.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:50PM
Ozoneocean at 1:44AM, May 28, 2009
(online)
The grip I use to write and draw with feels awkward when I do it left handed- like my pencil will fall out of my hand. That's SO irritating to me, since I'm pretty much ambidextrous for most things.
Unfortunately I don't have the patience to train my left hand up to speed for drawing and writing like I have with everything else.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:34PM
bravo1102 at 6:24AM, May 28, 2009
(offline)
I'm attracted to Women who grip their pencils “backwards”. lol! I grip a pencil any one of three ways and usually use the “awkward” grip, bottom to top when using my left hand. I can write from the wrist or the elbow and that effects how I hold the pencil.

When in the army I started using the cross in the seven as I was sick and tired of my seven being mistaken for a one or a four. The whole crossed seven is a wonderful thing. Americans are dissauded from using it in school, but with more and more immigrants we've had to become tolerant in the classroom. I say we bring back the crossed “f” for “s”

As for the cups, that's probably just an odsessive compulsive teacher who wants all the cups facing the same way. Just uniformity. How many people drink their coffee with their other hand while multi-tasking? Those kids are going to have to unlearn that cup holding when they're adults so they can drink their coffee while doing something else.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:33AM
herio at 6:59AM, May 28, 2009
(online)
ok at drawing sucks at writing grip wise

last edited on July 14, 2011 12:47PM
Aurora Borealis at 7:33AM, May 28, 2009
(online)
Hmm, I'm left handed, hold my pencil in a fashion that's considered slightly weird (with the thumb and two first fingers holding the pencil and the last two supporting it from the bottom) and I generally write with my fingers, dragging the hand across the paper as I go on.

I also have dysgraphia, meaning my hand writing is somewhat impossible to read to others (and as a result I can't read their handwriting, as it's different from mine, haha) which unfortunately slightly spills onto drawing. I can't draw in a too controlled fashion (my entire arm starts to hurt and get tired, exactly like with writing) and it also slightly affects my ability to judge distance on paper (I tend to mash words together or make gaps between letters) which means the shapes I draw can be stretched or squished (although I got it under control to some degree and sometimes use it to my advantage when foreshortening).

Well, all of the above resulted in my grades dropping (teachers couldn't read what I wrote at exams), my mom battling with the school, finally, some rich guy sponsoring me an electronic typewriter (thanks to which I'm very fast at typing… and seem to be developing carpal tunnel after 15+ years on keyboards) for a tax deduction… and finally being allowed to write with uppercase letters in school so that teachers can read what I wrote.

We always had at least 1 or 2 more kids that were lefthanded.

None of the “doctors” I was sent to managed to help me with thi plus at that point it wasn't considered an illness so we never got any extra money from that :P

But I did develop certain ways to improve my writing. First, it was quite heavily “stress” related. That is the more I'm stressed, the worse the handwriting. So obviously, when I left school it automatically became better.
Second, the longer I draw, the faster I draw and make more and more shortcuts. To avoid that, I learned to write at different angles (twisting the page up to the 90degrees angle) and with different fonts, sometimes very stylized.

So my notes sometimes look like done by ten different people, haha.
…hmm, kind of like my music was always hopping genres AND my drawing was hopping through various styles. I guess I'm just like that :D
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:08AM
Monstro at 1:48PM, May 28, 2009
(offline)
I grip the pencils rather normally, with my thumb and my index and the pencil resting on my middle finger and use the other two to guide it. The only issue I have is pressure. Instead of writing lightly, I usually end up writing harshly and applying a lot of pressure and it usually cramp up my hand quickly and makes for messy front to back writing with letters and such. Greatfully, I can say that it doesn't spill into my drawing–I hold the pencil loosely and draw lightly.

I'm guessing how you grip your pencil is how it's comfortable for you. I've seen some people grip their pencils in some odd ways.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:07PM
Ushio at 4:30PM, May 28, 2009
(offline)
I've been told my grip's weird. I'm right-handed, but my style replicates the stance of my left-handed sister. My hand kind of curls round a little, so the pen points at me slightly. Not sure why, just feels most natural I guess.

My writing's pretty terrible too, but despute all their compaints they can still read it fine anyway… ¬_¬
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:38PM
Ryan_Scott at 5:34PM, May 28, 2009
(online)
My grip resembles a vertical drum stick grip (for anybody who plays drums)
bravo1102 at 7:18PM, May 28, 2009
(offline)
How many hold scissors with their forefinger outside the grip guiding the blade?
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:33AM
Drasnus at 7:28PM, May 28, 2009
(online)
My teachers used to give me hell for holding it ‘wrong’.

If I had given in, I would suck at art.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:16PM
JoeL_CQB at 8:51PM, May 28, 2009
(online)
all of you all weird.

i hold my pen normally when i write or when i use a tablet.

when i draw, my hand goes into a grip as if i was using a brush. i don't think about whether i'm going to write or draw when i pick up a pen, it just switches automatically.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:10PM
ParkerFarker at 6:50PM, June 4, 2009
(online)
Hippie Van
I had this horrible teacher in first and second grade who would always get mad at me for writing wrong. I can't remember what it is…I write my letters from bottom to top instead of top to bottom or something silly like that. .

Oh I did that too, my teacher didn't get mad, but she didn't like it. And it made me feel unique and special. But now I have stopped doing it with most of my letters.

“We are in the stickiest situation since Sticky the stick insect got stuck on a sticky bun.” - Blackadder
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:38PM
Aleks55 at 12:36PM, June 13, 2009
(online)
hhmm I wonder if I hold the pencil wrong, I mean besides me being left handed what else can I screw up.
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:48AM
Gillespie at 1:26PM, June 13, 2009
(online)
Ever try to do what Da Vinci did and write from the end of a sentence to the beginning? That's workout in it's own right.
I draw/write with my right hand and while it isn't perfect, it suits me fine, although I write very small. It's just what I do.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:36PM
Scribe_Drizz at 5:10AM, June 25, 2009
(online)
The way I hold a pencil is the same way I'd hold a needle when knitting. So either I write wrong or I knit wrong. Either way, I get the results I want.

Just before graduation, I had an English teacher who would constantly mark me down for spelling. My Cs and Es looked alike. So did my Os, Us, and Ws. After awhile, she realized that my spelling wasn't horrible and asked me to slow down while writing. That helped. No one has ever complained about my spelling or penmanship since.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:24PM
HippieVan at 8:32AM, June 25, 2009
(online)
Scribe_Drizz
The way I hold a pencil is the same way I'd hold a needle when knitting. So either I write wrong or I knit wrong. Either way, I get the results I want.

Just before graduation, I had an English teacher who would constantly mark me down for spelling. My Cs and Es looked alike. So did my Os, Us, and Ws. After awhile, she realized that my spelling wasn't horrible and asked me to slow down while writing. That helped. No one has ever complained about my spelling or penmanship since.

Haha, I do stuff like that when I write too fast. My lowercase Ns and Us look the same. I just have to slow down my writing pace a bit when someone else will be reading what I write.
Duchess of Friday Newsposts and the holy Top Ten
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:49PM
Splash Damage at 10:37AM, July 15, 2009
(online)
if i hold a pencil the “right” way, then I have less control over what i write/draw.
drunkduck.com/splash_damage
Updating Again.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:54PM
lefarce at 1:36PM, July 15, 2009
(online)
I remember hearing stories about some teachers trying to correct which hand children held their pencils in, opting for the right over the left. The interesting thing was that it apparently causes a lot of confusion, and can make it to where both hands work about as retarded as the other.

I'm not sure if there is some scientific backing, but from seeing my friend's writing (he was a lefty until trained at a young age to use his right hand) I cannot read a single fucking thing he puts on paper.

It's like someone shoved a pen up and ape's butt and threw pads of paper at it.

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:33PM
Eirikr at 3:16PM, July 15, 2009
(online)
lefarce
I remember hearing stories about some teachers trying to correct which hand children held their pencils in, opting for the right over the left. The interesting thing was that it apparently causes a lot of confusion, and can make it to where both hands work about as retarded as the other.

I'm not sure if there is some scientific backing, but from seeing my friend's writing (he was a lefty until trained at a young age to use his right hand) I cannot read a single fucking thing he puts on paper.

It's like someone shoved a pen up and ape's butt and threw pads of paper at it.

My mother grew up in a Catholic school, and used to write with her left hand. She had to learn to write with her right hand though, as the nuns slapped the back of her hand when she wrote with her left hand.

Penguins, man.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:20PM
seventy2 at 7:12PM, July 15, 2009
(online)
i write, with my arm parallel to my body, and then write on the paper, away from me. top of the paper to my left, bottom to my right.

i don't ever remember getting introuble for it…but i know it has to do with me laying on the desk in school, and just working on the papers from there…
facara
Running Anew an exercise blog.
I'm gonna love you till the money comes, half of it's gonna be mine someday.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:30PM
cirienphoenix at 10:11PM, July 15, 2009
(offline)
Custard Trout
I write from bottom to top as well. It's not that unusual.

I write from the bottom, too. I never knew I was doing it “wrong” until last year actually. I think I always did it for convenience. My name is Susan, so I would pick my pencil up slightly to drop into writing the “u”. Habit, I guess.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:42AM
Ateljux at 6:22PM, Aug. 1, 2009
(offline)
when writing or drawing i draw from left to right,with my arm to the paper.
Unfortunettly this led to some rather annoying situations when you find your hand has smudged all your work and your arm is covered in ink… ;_;
Click the link,get taken to my webcomic: Abram goes to HELL.

and now Just wing it, a post apocalyptic comic, dark humour:
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:03AM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon