Comic Talk, Tips and Tricks

Pentel Pocket Brush
CharleyHorse at 9:00PM, Jan. 10, 2009
(offline)
Yes, we have a winner! On skoolmunkee's recommendation I sent off for a Pentel Pocket Brush and I think I've fallen in ink-love with the tool. Just like with a traditional brush I can get a hair thin line or a medium weight to a very thick line by just varying the pressure. This pen-brush, however, is kitty cat safe because there's no ink pot for a curious cat to knock over.

I'm very happy with it. Thanks for the advice skoolmunkee! :spin:
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:40AM
skoolmunkee at 5:06AM, Jan. 11, 2009
(online)
I like to think of the pentel as my piece of joy to pass on, because someone recommended it to me back in the day too.
  IT'S OLD BATMAN
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:41PM
CharleyHorse at 10:39AM, Jan. 11, 2009
(offline)
Life is good.
NickGuy at 10:55AM, Jan. 11, 2009
(online)
Ive used the faber castell pitt brush pens. those are pretty good

“Kung Fu Komix IS…hardcore martial art action all the way. 8/10” -Harkovast
“Kung Fu Komix is that rare comic that is made with heart and love of the medium, and it delivers” -Zenstrive
“Kung Fu Komix is…so awesome” -threeeyeswurm
“Kung Fu Komix is..told with all the stupid exuberance of the genre it parodies” -The Real Macabre
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:15PM
CharleyHorse at 2:58PM, Jan. 11, 2009
(offline)
Yes, the Faber Castell Pitt artist pen set is what I have been using until now. But I switched to the Pentel pocket brush pen because it truly acts and feels like a bristle brush; something that I used to use and have missed having to give up using.

I don't consider any tool superior to another, just superior for a particular artist's use. I want the feel and action of a bristle ink brush without the mess represented by an uncapped ink bottle.

I'm actually enjoying the process of inking again, and it's been a while since that last happened for me.
NickGuy at 12:51PM, Jan. 12, 2009
(online)
can i see pics of the pens tip? they sound really interesting.

“Kung Fu Komix is that rare comic that is made with heart and love of the medium, and it delivers” -Zenstrive
“Kung Fu Komix is..told with all the stupid exuberance of the genre it parodies” -The Real Macabre
CharleyHorse at 3:33PM, Jan. 12, 2009
(offline)
Yep! Here's the URL skoolmunkee gave me and it's where I actually bought the pen. I had it in my hand four days later. http://www.jetpens.com/product_info.php/products_id/1793

Although it's not obvious in the photograph we are not talking about a solid nylon cone or tip. Actually the business end is a real brush of individual nylon fibers which are bound so that the brush mass will keep a permanent and tight inking point when wet.

If you send off for it be aware that it's a bit difficult to get the brush to soak up the ink from the cartridge the first time. I had to remove the punctured cartridge and then blow down the supply tube until I forced ink into the bristles. Then I put the ink cartridge back in, and I've had no problem at all since.

I did a bit of research before purchasing it and discovered that one artist has been using his Pentel Pocket Brush Pen for something like nine years with no discernible drop in brush quality. This means that the brush, which isn't all that expensive to begin with, will pay for itself eventually as one won't be having to purchase replacements.

Oh, and as for the cartridges, when the last one goes dry, I am going to take a tip from skoolmunkee and refill them with India Ink . . . which I have on hand already and would like to use up.

Ironscarf at 4:39PM, Jan. 12, 2009
(online)
You know what we should do? We should form a Pentel Brush Pen society to spread the good news. We'll be like the Pentel Brush Pen chapter of the Knights Templar - no wait, they were all about keeping secrets…

Actually, you know what we should do? We should stop telling everybody about this Pentel Brush Pen - just keep it to ourselves and have secret rituals where our inking looks better than everyone else's and no one can figure out why and only we know it's down to our Pentel Brush Pens

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:02PM
CharleyHorse at 5:48PM, Jan. 12, 2009
(offline)
WohOOooOOOooo! I like it . . !

Unfortunately, it's no magic bullet. Yeah, my stuff is already starting to look better, but there ARE limits. I'm too impatient to ever become a really decent inker. I am having fun with it, though.

Besides which . . . only us ludites still ink by hand. The future belongs to digital inking. Of course, the way that invariably works out is that the day after digital inking is perfected so that anyone can use it to turn out master level works, someone will invent a new display process making digital inking obsolete as well. Life is interesting like that. :spin:
angry_black_guy at 6:03PM, Jan. 12, 2009
(offline)
You can use any brush pen, really. Brush pens used to be something exotic but now Crayola sells paint filled brush pens for 3$ at the supermarket.

All you to do is empty the paint/water out of them then fill it with thick black ink (I use FW artist acrylic).

I still prefer a brush and bottle because I like to think of myself as Mr. OldFashioned.

last edited on July 14, 2011 10:53AM
CharleyHorse at 6:53PM, Jan. 12, 2009
(offline)
What angry_black_guy? Are you seriously proposing to remove the snob factor and romance factor from purchasing a spiffy specialty pen? It's prettttty! :)
Ironscarf at 4:11AM, Jan. 13, 2009
(online)
I heard what angry_black_guy_said_too: heresy! At the next meeting of the Knights Penbrush, I'm going to denounce him to the High Priestess of the Pentel, our lady Skoolmunkee.

In her name we will brush aside the penless!

skoolmunkee at 11:09AM, Jan. 13, 2009
(online)
Guys if we are gonna be a sect we need some kind of torture.
  IT'S OLD BATMAN
CharleyHorse at 12:44PM, Jan. 13, 2009
(offline)
Not being Pentel Brush-Pen users is in itself a form of torture. We can laugh at them as well while posing with our fists on hips. Hahahahahaha! Or we could point while we laugh. Pointing is good, too.

NickGuy at 1:47PM, Jan. 13, 2009
(online)
CharleyHorse
Yep! Here's the URL skoolmunkee gave me and it's where I actually bought the pen. I had it in my hand four days later. http://www.jetpens.com/product_info.php/products_id/1793

Although it's not obvious in the photograph we are not talking about a solid nylon cone or tip. Actually the business end is a real brush of individual nylon fibers which are bound so that the brush mass will keep a permanent and tight inking point when wet.

If you send off for it be aware that it's a bit difficult to get the brush to soak up the ink from the cartridge the first time. I had to remove the punctured cartridge and then blow down the supply tube until I forced ink into the bristles. Then I put the ink cartridge back in, and I've had no problem at all since.

sounds complicated. Ill just buy one and a bottle of ink and dip the brush pen into it like a real brush. thats what i do with my brush pens now anyways.

Ironscarf at 1:56PM, Jan. 13, 2009
(online)
CharleyHorse
We can laugh at them as well while posing with our fists on hips. Hahahahahaha!
If we're going to do that we should be dressed like this:

Also, Nick Guy, you are some kind of genius!

NickGuy at 2:07PM, Jan. 13, 2009
(online)
Ironscarf
Also, Nick Guy, you are some kind of genius!

no, just too poor to afford to buy a new 10 dollar brush pen everytime mine runs out when i can just buy a 3 dollar bottle of higgins black magic india ink and still continue to use it.

not having money really forces you to be more creative

Ironscarf at 2:34PM, Jan. 13, 2009
(online)
NickGuy
not having money really forces you to be more creative

True, but I still say you're a genius!

Hope all is well by the way.

skoolmunkee at 3:03PM, Jan. 13, 2009
(online)
CharleyHorse
Not being Pentel Brush-Pen users is in itself a form of torture. We can laugh at them as well while posing with our fists on hips. Hahahahahaha! Or we could point while we laugh. Pointing is good, too.
If we want to do that we have to make them use it until they like it and then take it away.

NickGuy
no, just too poor to afford to buy a new 10 dollar brush pen everytime mine runs out when i can just buy a 3 dollar bottle of higgins black magic india ink and still continue to use it.
No, no, no. You only need to buy 1 brush ever. The ink's in cartridges that you replace when you run out, like a fountain pen. 4 refills are like $3 or something. (Or like charleyhorse intends, you can refill the cartridges with india ink and a syringe and reuse them.)
  IT'S OLD BATMAN
mattchee at 10:12AM, Jan. 14, 2009
(online)
I'm intrigued.. but lots of questions:

How well does the pen hold up? I'm guessing better than your average brush pen, since its an ACTUAL brush. Is there special care involved vs other brush pens (since one of the advantages over brushes that pen-brushes have is no cleanup and whatnot). Does that change if you use india ink vs their ink? What kind of ink comes in the cartridges? How long does it last?

Finally:

WHere's a good place to get a syringe?!?!? hahaha
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:55PM
CharleyHorse at 11:00AM, Jan. 14, 2009
(offline)
In reverse order, you can get syringes from a veterinarian and probably from a pet store as well. .

The cartridge ink is permanent and black but, if it is India ink it is watered down . Since the brush is meant to be saturated at all times it comes with a cap, thus preventing the brush from drying out between uses. I have no idea how long an ink cartridge lasts as I've only had the thing less than a week. I read one consumer's report wherein the user had the same brush pen for nine years and reported no signs of wear and tear.

skoolmunkee or Ironscarf have a great deal more experience with this brush pen. Perhaps they can give us specific information.

Ironscarf at 12:48PM, Jan. 14, 2009
(online)
Mattchee, I haven't been using it as long as Skool', but the tip seems to be essentially just a synthetic brush so I'm assuming that if you look after in in the way you'd look after a ‘real’ brush, it would last accordingly. In other words, heavy handed dry brush type techniques will probably shorten it's life as you'd expect, but lithe linework isn't going to make much impact. No cleaning or special care is involved as the cartridge ink is very fluid.

The cartridges themselves are the size of ordinary cartridge pen types, so it's a limited amount of ink, but it should last for several pages if you don't use it for filling in large areas of black, but there are better tools for that anyway, such as a larger brush, or I've been using chisel tipped pigment markers, which can also be refilled.

I suspect the ink is not india ink, but probably some kind of ‘pigment’ formula too: It's pure black but very fluid and seems to have no shellac content as it never develops a sheen. Personally I wouldn't put india ink in there as it tends to clog everything in sight even if you water it down, but this is pure speculation so perhaps Skool' can advise, or CharleyHorse when his ink runs out!

Finally, your pharmacist may be able to provide a syringe, but he'll never believe your tall story as to why you need it!

NickGuy at 1:34PM, Jan. 14, 2009
(online)
skoolmunkee
NickGuy
No, no, no. You only need to buy 1 brush ever. The ink's in cartridges that you replace when you run out, like a fountain pen. 4 refills are like $3 or something. (Or like charleyhorse intends, you can refill the cartridges with india ink and a syringe and reuse them.)

a syringe? who the fuck has syringes laying around? lol.

I really only want to have to buy one brush ever. I was hoping that the faber-castell pens would be good enough, but the tip is too marker like and starts getting dull and now bits of it are fraying off after heavy use.

and i either use a watercolor brush dipped in ink for large black areas or a q-tip.

skoolmunkee at 4:06PM, Jan. 14, 2009
(online)
mattchee
I'm intrigued.. but lots of questions:

How well does the pen hold up? I'm guessing better than your average brush pen, since its an ACTUAL brush. Is there special care involved vs other brush pens (since one of the advantages over brushes that pen-brushes have is no cleanup and whatnot). Does that change if you use india ink vs their ink? What kind of ink comes in the cartridges? How long does it last?

Finally:

WHere's a good place to get a syringe?!?!? hahaha

I'm going to agree with Charley and Ironscarf here. It's plenty durable unless you mash the thing. Since the bristles are nylon they dont fray or fall out.

The only special care I'd think it would need is if you plan to let it sit unused for a long time (I like to store mine level), you might want to flush out the tip with warm water before you store it and take out the cartridge. I've gone months without using mine and had no flow problems though, whether I've washed it beforehand or not.

I like the ink in it, it's waterproof (unlike the kuretake ink, my second favorite pen) and is rich and black, not a washy grey. It's a pigment ink and does stain. It's not india ink, it's pentel's own ink. I've never used india ink so I can't attest to its use/flow/etc, I was only passing on what I've seen in tips/trade forums.

I can't really remember how long a cartridge lasts, it's been a long time since I inked a lot of comic pages straight through. I think my cartridges would last about 20 pages, but I just do straight linework without blacks or shading. I'm usually surprised at how long it lasts. I used my pentel to ink my pokemon, and I've made it through almost 250 of them on only 2 cartridges. (Again, light linework though)

Pharmacists and vets for the syringe. :) Pharmacists might have the needle kind, for diabetics, I don't know if you'd need a prescription or something though… vets will have a plastic type you might have to add a thin straw onto or something. Not a technique I've done, I don't refill my cartridges- just something passed on.
  IT'S OLD BATMAN
Speck at 9:56PM, Jan. 14, 2009
(offline)
I wonder if the black Pentel Color Brushes contain the same type of ink as the Pocket Brush. They probably do, since the Color Brush is essentially the same thing, only cheaper. Recently, I've picked up the Color Brush I had lying around. I like it so far.

I used to eat up the Faber-Castell brush pens. I would get through maybe two pages, then I could no longer get a nice fine line out of them. (Then again, I'm rather heavy-handed.)
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:53PM
skoolmunkee at 2:28AM, Jan. 15, 2009
(online)
Speck
I wonder if the black Pentel Color Brushes contain the same type of ink as the Pocket Brush. They probably do, since the Color Brush is essentially the same thing, only cheaper. Recently, I've picked up the Color Brush I had lying around. I like it so far.

No, they're not the same thing nor do they use the same ink. The color pens are ‘art’ pens while the pocket brush is a ‘calligraphy’ pen, they're not really affiliated with each other beyond being brushes made by pentel.

I think the major differences were that the pentel's ink was waterproof and fade-resistant, while the color ink is water soluble, fades over time, and the pen itself needs to be squeezed to use if I remember right (that's how it gets the watercolor look). I think also the color pens have a ‘fatter’ brush, so harder to get a thin line with. Basically, cheaper stuff, but good for its purpose. There's a reason the pocket brush is more costly. :)
  IT'S OLD BATMAN
CharleyHorse at 5:56AM, Jan. 15, 2009
(offline)
I bought a box of cartridge replacements when I bought the brush pen and so it's going to be a while before I experiment with cartridge refilling. I do want to point out though, that one can purchase bottles of Japanese writing ink, which may be what the Pentel Pocket Brush Pen uses anyway.

Although I do have bottles of India Ink on hand I also have a bottle of Japanese writing ink . . . and I'll probably use that first.
mattchee at 10:26AM, Jan. 15, 2009
(online)
Aw hell… I'm getting one.

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:55PM
CharleyHorse at 10:44AM, Jan. 15, 2009
(offline)
Excellent! Let us know what you think about it afterward. This is all very interesting.
skoolmunkee at 11:38PM, Jan. 15, 2009
(online)
mattchee
Aw hell… I'm getting one.

Your three musketeers outfit is in the mail, better start on that mustache!
  IT'S OLD BATMAN

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved