Comic Talk, Tips and Tricks

Pentel Pocket Brush
NickGuy at 1:57PM, Jan. 16, 2009
(online)
for 17 bucks this better be the best goddamn pen ever. I better not need another pen for the rest of my life.

“Kung Fu Komix IS…hardcore martial art action all the way. 8/10” -Harkovast
“Kung Fu Komix is that rare comic that is made with heart and love of the medium, and it delivers” -Zenstrive
“Kung Fu Komix is…so awesome” -threeeyeswurm
“Kung Fu Komix is..told with all the stupid exuberance of the genre it parodies” -The Real Macabre
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:15PM
CharleyHorse at 4:09AM, Jan. 17, 2009
(offline)
NickGuy, it handles about the same as a good quality sable brush. Depending on your coordination or patience it will produce a hair thin ink line or something as thick as you desire. It's only a brush, however. It's charm is essentially that it is a VERY low maintenance inking brush; you never have to wash it out because it comes with an airtight cap and, because the bristles are artificial, the brush lasts for years.

But it is still an ink brush, which means that you need to wipe down the newly exposed barrel part with a paper towel whenever you uncap it because there will probably be traces of wet ink on it. Since the results DO depend on your coordination and patience the weight of the same ink line CAN vary from too thin to too thick to too wobbly. Oh yeah, because the ink is on the thin side the paper can absorb too much and cause a bleed effect if you move too slowly over the paper with the brush. There are still going to be times when you need to use a pen rather than a brush.

I began using this brush on my strip this past week. Look at my line work from about two weeks ago and compare it to the last strip posted. Since I have switched over to the brush my line work is more lively and organically variable but perhaps more shaky. I am still getting used to using a brush again after many years of pen work. So it goes.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:40AM
NickGuy at 11:33AM, Jan. 19, 2009
(online)
CharleyHorse
NickGuy, it handles about the same as a good quality sable brush. Depending on your coordination or patience it will produce a hair thin ink line or something as thick as you desire. It's only a brush, however. It's charm is essentially that it is a VERY low maintenance inking brush; you never have to wash it out because it comes with an airtight cap and, because the bristles are artificial, the brush lasts for years.

But it is still an ink brush, which means that you need to wipe down the newly exposed barrel part with a paper towel whenever you uncap it because there will probably be traces of wet ink on it. Since the results DO depend on your coordination and patience the weight of the same ink line CAN vary from too thin to too thick to too wobbly. Oh yeah, because the ink is on the thin side the paper can absorb too much and cause a bleed effect if you move too slowly over the paper with the brush. There are still going to be times when you need to use a pen rather than a brush.

oh i know, my comment was tongue-in-cheek. I will never give up pen totally…in fact for fine lines i use a pentel precise pen, i like the lines it give me and the rolling ball point actually allows for some line variation.

“Kung Fu Komix is that rare comic that is made with heart and love of the medium, and it delivers” -Zenstrive
“Kung Fu Komix is..told with all the stupid exuberance of the genre it parodies” -The Real Macabre
skoolmunkee at 1:36PM, Jan. 22, 2009
(online)
Anyone who has got one needs to update us on what they think :)

Jetpens seems to be sold out, but here are two other sellers I found (and they can also be found on ebay sometimes):
http://www.wetpaintart.com/closeup.asp?cid=277&pid=60001&offset=0 <- w/4 refills
http://www.jstationery.com/product_info.php?products_id=759 <- w/2 refills
  IT'S OLD BATMAN
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:41PM
NickGuy at 2:02PM, Jan. 22, 2009
(online)
still waiting for mine to come in the mail.

Ryuthehedgewolf at 11:07PM, Jan. 22, 2009
(offline)
I'm so excited, after I read this topic, I talked to my mom about getting me one of these, since I don't have a job yet, she buys my art supplies (and in return, I do oddjobs around the house). And I'm quite excited.

I've used a Staedtler Brush Pen, and a Sakura Brush Pen, but this looks interesting!

Too bad I'm not too good with brush pens yet. But I will be! :D

Oh yeah, she said I could order it like, next week!
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:16PM
CharleyHorse at 7:48PM, Jan. 23, 2009
(offline)
that's excellent Ryuthehedgewolf. Let us know how you like it after you get it. Oh, and remember what I wrote about your new pen.

Charleyhorse
If you send off for it be aware that it's a bit difficult to get the brush to soak up the ink from the cartridge the first time. I had to remove the punctured cartridge and then blow down the supply tube until I forced ink into the bristles. Then I put the ink cartridge back in, and I've had no problem at all since.

You may or may not need to do the same thing. Perhaps if I had a little more patience I wouldn't have needed to do it that way.
skoolmunkee at 7:53PM, Jan. 23, 2009
(online)
The ink is designed to wick down into the bristles, so I think the recommended method is to fake-ink for the 5-10 minutes it takes for the ink to make it down into the bristles. It's annoying though.
  IT'S OLD BATMAN
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:42PM
Senshuu at 2:14AM, Jan. 24, 2009
(offline)
Iiiii want one now. 0_0
(What sold me? Besides the content of this thread? Well… the kanji on the brush *facepalm*)

Too bad I can't afford it lawl.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:27PM
CharleyHorse at 6:05AM, Jan. 24, 2009
(offline)
It seems to be the major rule of an artist's life Senshuu that the paper or the equipment you want most of all, you can't afford. It's usually the item that you'd like to have but aren't all that crazy about that you CAN afford . . . or at least that's usually how it works for me. It makes me dizzy :dizzy:

Oh, and thanks for the information Skoolmunkee; next time I'll know

Skoolmunkee
The ink is designed to wick down into the bristles, so I think the recommended method is to fake-ink for the 5-10 minutes it takes for the ink to make it down into the bristles. It's annoying though.
Ryuthehedgewolf at 7:56AM, Feb. 13, 2009
(offline)
I'm so excited! I'm going to order one today from that Wetpaintart site. Sure it's 20 bucks, but if it lasts that long, then why the heck not?

NickGuy at 9:47AM, Feb. 13, 2009
(online)
mine never came in the mail.

Ryuthehedgewolf at 10:12AM, Feb. 13, 2009
(offline)
NickGuy

Where'd you order it from?

And I'm super excited! I just ordered mine from Jetpens! I also got a pack of replacement cartridges.
I really really hope it's as good as you guys say it is! :D
skoolmunkee at 1:39AM, Feb. 14, 2009
(online)
NickGuy

What? That sucks! You should contact them, most places are good about sending a second one.
  IT'S OLD BATMAN
Ryuthehedgewolf at 11:52AM, Feb. 19, 2009
(offline)
Aw man! I'm so excited! Mine just arrived in the mail today!
Jetpens has it cheaper than the Wet Paint Art place, so for about the same price, maybe even a little cheaper, I was able to get 6 total cartridge refills, instead of the original 2, (4 from Wet Paint Art)

I'm so excited.
I'm not sure if I want to open it.
Ryuthehedgewolf at 12:05AM, Feb. 22, 2009
(offline)
I hate posting twice in a row, but I suppose this is kind of a ‘bump’ so people can see it.

Anyway, since my last post, I have quite thoroughly used the brush pen.
So I suppose I'll put in my two cents (kind of like a short review)

When I first saw the package in the mailbox, I was so excited. I've been reading about this brush pen basically since the topic was posted. I had previously been using Pigma Brush Pens, and I've even used Staedtler Brush Pens (used to use microns, but that's not important) and the Staedtler were the best disposable ones I've used. Sadly, I had to order them online.

With the pigma ones, you can only use it like, not even once, and the line quality is terrible. The ink is also terrible. The whole $3 you spend on it is definitely not worth it.

But then I came upon this topic, and read about the Pentel Pocket Brush Pen. At first glance, I didn't really think much of it. In fact, I didn't even know that Pentel was in the brush pen making business. I only knew them for pencils.

I read a few of the posts, and saw that the line-quality was fantastic, even after repeated uses (provided you take care of it, and don't like smush it down). I was astounded, because I was used to the whole, “Hey, let's not work after you use it once! Especially when you have a lot of pages to ink!” That was usually the case too. But just last night, I really put the pen to work.

Now, I'm not too well with the brush pens yet (only been using them for a few months now. Like I said, so used to technical pens), but jeez. This brush pen is quite possibly the best investment you could ever make. The line quality is indeed beautiful, even after 6 pages, straight. Now, I'm a heavy handed inker, and not too good with the brush pen, so I do tend to get thick lines, I do need to practice with that. But you could most definitely get hair-thin lines if you have the skill.

I've never had the experience of using a real brush (outside of school, when I was painting), but truth be told, seems like it would be tons better, much more convenient too. You don't have the mess of ink bottles, and all the cleaning up. Besides the sometimes using a paper towel to wipe the excess ink off of the barrel, but that's not too bad.

All-in-all, I think I'm in love with this brush pen. It's a little tough to get going at first. I put the cartridge in, held it with the brush toward the ground, and waited. I shook the brush pen, opened it up and did what CharleyHorse suggested, shook it some more, tested it a bunch, and it works fine.

So, I also heartily recommend them.
Oh, and even after the 6 pages, my first cartridge isn't even half out yet (I only do linework, but there's kind of a lot, so what does that tell you?)
NickGuy at 11:29AM, Feb. 22, 2009
(online)
mine still never came in the mail. Im mad as a bitch.

Ryuthehedgewolf at 12:08PM, Feb. 22, 2009
(offline)
NickGuy

Where did you order it from?
I ordered mine from Jetpens.
skoolmunkee at 2:01PM, Feb. 22, 2009
(online)
Hooray, a convert!

NickGuy

Dude, just contact them with your order number of whatever and tell them to send you a new one. Don't just sit there all grumpy about it.
  IT'S OLD BATMAN
sagittarius at 10:25PM, March 7, 2009
(online)
Forgive me for bumping this thread but I also bought this on Kinokuniya here on Seattle a while ago for $14 and say this pen is worth (it took us 3 buses to get to Seattle)…

All I'll be getting on is their refill cartridges :D
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:17PM
Jabali at 4:37PM, March 8, 2009
(online)
I'm also intrigued, I love doing my inks the old way. I'm old school that means I use the regular brush and india ink for all my inking work. I tend to run away from some brush pens.

Faber Castell are nice but the brush material breaks to easy. I tried also the Steadler duo pen these are a little better. The brush its a rubber-spongy material and very durable (I've used those until they dry and they never loose the edge and form) but they bleed to much for my taste, still I used them for action and movement lines.

I'm not a newbie using brushes so I don't get easily impress but those Pentel brushes do look fine… now, If someone can answer me a couple question that'll be very helpful.

1) In case of a mistake. Does the ink of the Pentel easily covered with white opaque?

2) Does the inks fades when you erase the pencil guide lines?

3) How dense is the blackness of the ink?

4) Does the inks dries fast?

I'll appreciate any help and answers.

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:05PM
Ryuthehedgewolf at 6:19PM, March 8, 2009
(offline)
Jabali
I'm not a newbie using brushes so I don't get easily impress but those Pentel brushes do look fine… now, If someone can answer me a couple question that'll be very helpful.

1) In case of a mistake. Does the ink of the Pentel easily covered with white opaque?

2) Does the inks fades when you erase the pencil guide lines?

4) Does the inks dries fast?

I'll appreciate any help and answers.

I've been using a Pentel Pocket Brush pen for…about a month now. So I'll try my best to answer your questions.

1.) Well, I used wite-out, and it seemed to work well (except for the fact that wite-out is terrible, but I think it'll work, yes)

2.) Not that I have noticed, no. The ink is generally pretty good for erasing. Seems to stand it, if you know what I'm trying to say. (I'm terrible at trying to word explanations, haha)

3.) I'm using regular copy paper, and it seems pretty dense. The ink is really nice, way better than the Staedtler brush pen, or any other one for that matter. Sometimes it does kind of look washy, but that's because you'd end up holding the brush pen wrong, like I have many times.

4.) The ink actually does dry pretty fast. After my inks, I start right away with the erasing, and no smears or anything. It takes seconds to dry.

Hope that helps!
Jabali at 8:08PM, March 9, 2009
(online)
Ryuthehedgewolf
…Hope that helps!

Yes it did Ryuthehedgewolf, thanks for taking the time.
Ryuthehedgewolf at 8:18PM, March 9, 2009
(offline)
Jabali
Ryuthehedgewolf
…Hope that helps!

Yes it did Ryuthehedgewolf, thanks for taking the time.

No problem!
Glad I could be of help! ^^
NickGuy at 10:17AM, March 10, 2009
(online)
skoolmunkee
Hooray, a convert!

NickGuy

Dude, just contact them with your order number of whatever and tell them to send you a new one. Don't just sit there all grumpy about it.

LOL! actually, Im buying a tablet PC this friday so I dont really care anymore.

Jabali at 7:41PM, March 11, 2009
(online)
NickGuy" Said:
LOL! actually, Im buying a tablet PC this friday so I dont really care anymore.

Tablets are great, mine its a Bamboo Wacom, not top notch, but very useful. I love my tablet, still I prefer to ink my stuff the “old fashion” way.
Ironscarf at 5:37AM, March 12, 2009
(online)
Jabali
still I prefer to ink my stuff the “old fashion” way.

I totally agree there Jabali - inking with a brush is such a sensual thing; gently bringing the bristles to the page, tentatively at first, but then with ever more confident strokes until hand and eye, brush and paper, become a symphony of controlled freedom with broad slashes or lithe flourishes cascading forth, bidden by surging sweep of hand and the merest, almost imperceptible motion of finger, as if fevered breath itself had whispered ink on to paper…

Time for a cup of tea I think.

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:02PM
skoolmunkee at 11:36AM, March 12, 2009
(online)
Jabali

Just to comment on this- the ink is actually a pigment (or a dye? not sure of technical ink terms), not a real-real ink. So although Pentel's formula is more black than any other brush pen I've seen, it's no india ink. (It is still colorfast, waterfast, and doesn't fade, which I can't say for a lot of other brush pen inks either.)

However it seems a number of people get around this by refilling the cartridges with a syringe of india ink. This means you need to tend to the brush a little to prevent clotting if you're not using it often, but if you want superblack ink it might be worth it, and is probably much less of a hassle than using full brushes.
  IT'S OLD BATMAN
Jabali at 11:38AM, March 13, 2009
(online)
Ironscarf
Jabali
still I prefer to ink my stuff the “old fashion” way.

I totally agree there Jabali - inking with a brush is such a sensual thing; gently bringing the bristles to the page, tentatively at first, but then with ever more confident strokes until hand and eye, brush and paper, become a symphony of controlled freedom with broad slashes or lithe flourishes cascading forth, bidden by surging sweep of hand and the merest, almost imperceptible motion of finger, as if fevered breath itself had whispered ink on to paper…

Time for a cup of tea I think.

WOW… I feel pretty.

skoolmunkee
Just to comment on this- the ink is actually a pigment (or a dye? not sure of technical ink terms), not a real-real ink. So although Pentel's formula is more black than any other brush pen I've seen, it's no india ink. (It is still colorfast, waterfast, and doesn't fade, which I can't say for a lot of other brush pen inks either.)

However it seems a number of people get around this by refilling the cartridges with a syringe of india ink. This means you need to tend to the brush a little to prevent clotting if you're not using it often, but if you want superblack ink it might be worth it, and is probably much less of a hassle than using full brushes.

Thanks! (you read my mind), I have considered the possibility of adding “watered india ink”. I normally add a little water to my ink so it flows a little better. In any case I'll do that first with the Faber Castell pen brush as a test and see how it works.

Thanks.
Speck at 11:23PM, April 7, 2009
(offline)
I just picked up a Pentel Pocket Brush today. (There's an Asian import store about 20 minutes away from my house.) It's a great improvement over the Pentel Color Brush, I must say! After drawing over a scribble in my sketchbook, I've already fallen in love with it.

The ink flows a little easier out of the Pocket Brush's brush tip, and it's easier to hold than the bigger Color Brush. Surprisingly, the ink dries much faster than the Color Brush as well. I also appreciate the smaller brush tip. I'm definitely using this to ink comics on the go!
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:53PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved