Comic Talk, Tips and Tricks

Pentel Pocket Brush
NickGuy at 9:59AM, April 28, 2009
(online)
well i guess mine came in the mail after all….I just didnt find out because my mom never gave it to me and threw it in the back of the car…I was cleaning it out and found it lulz.

i probably will RARELY use this now that i have my tablet but ill give it a few laps in the ole sketchbook soon.

“Kung Fu Komix IS…hardcore martial art action all the way. 8/10” -Harkovast
“Kung Fu Komix is that rare comic that is made with heart and love of the medium, and it delivers” -Zenstrive
“Kung Fu Komix is…so awesome” -threeeyeswurm
“Kung Fu Komix is..told with all the stupid exuberance of the genre it parodies” -The Real Macabre
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:15PM
CharleyHorse at 5:55AM, April 29, 2009
(offline)
Life seems to work out that way doesn't it? I got my Pentel Pocket Brush about one week before I ceased working on my cartoon strip. Yesterday I decided to start doing some inking again preparatory to either resurrecting my strip or beginning a new one and then discovered that my wife had cleaned up the pig-pen that I call my art station and tossed my pocket brush into a big box containing old pens and pencils without telling me that she had done this.

Well I finally found the brush and it is – to my surprise – still infused with liquid ink rather than caked with dried ink. The only problem is that now I have lost my interest in doing any art work. Sigh!

I can get motivated again, I am sure. Staying motivated, however, is always a problem with me! :(
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:40AM
Ryuthehedgewolf at 2:37PM, April 29, 2009
(online)
CharleyHorse
Life seems to work out that way doesn't it? I got my Pentel Pocket Brush about one week before I ceased working on my cartoon strip. Yesterday I decided to start doing some inking again preparatory to either resurrecting my strip or beginning a new one and then discovered that my wife had cleaned up the pig-pen that I call my art station and tossed my pocket brush into a big box containing old pens and pencils without telling me that she had done this.

Well I finally found the brush and it is – to my surprise – still infused with liquid ink rather than caked with dried ink. The only problem is that now I have lost my interest in doing any art work. Sigh!

I can get motivated again, I am sure. Staying motivated, however, is always a problem with me! :(

Sadly, I used mine for about two months. But I realized that the brush pen just wasn't for me. So I switched to Pilot Precise pens, and man, my art is getting better. I'm not sure why that is.

I've always used pens for inking. So that might be it.
My hand is uncomfortably unsteady all of the time.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:16PM
NickGuy at 4:16PM, April 29, 2009
(online)
Ryuthehedgewolf
Sadly, I used mine for about two months. But I realized that the brush pen just wasn't for me. So I switched to Pilot Precise pens, and man, my art is getting better. I'm not sure why that is.

wow gave up after 2 months? thats really not enough time to master a brush at all. how much were you using the brush? and what were you drawing with it?

“Kung Fu Komix is that rare comic that is made with heart and love of the medium, and it delivers” -Zenstrive
“Kung Fu Komix is..told with all the stupid exuberance of the genre it parodies” -The Real Macabre
Ryuthehedgewolf at 5:19PM, April 29, 2009
(online)
NickGuy
Ryuthehedgewolf

wow gave up after 2 months? thats really not enough time to master a brush at all. how much were you using the brush? and what were you drawing with it?

Well, I didn't really give up. I just decided that the inks were too messy. And I was doing pages. :P
I've been using a brush pen altogether for about…5 or so months now?
I know I need more practice :3
mattchee at 10:36PM, April 29, 2009
(online)
I FINALLY ordered mine today, and got so excited that I went to my studio (read: garage) busted out my higgins black magic and #2 brush and started playing around. hahah… then of course, I realized how pampered I am inking digitally, and how crappy my real inking skills have become. I think I'm going to put in some hardcore practicing once I get my pocket brush. I'm feeling the urge of tradition taking over!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:55PM
skoolmunkee at 12:25AM, April 30, 2009
(online)
You guys are making me miss using my pocket brush. I'm gonna have to find something to use it for soon…
  IT'S OLD BATMAN
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:42PM
Ryuthehedgewolf at 3:35AM, April 30, 2009
(online)
skoolmunkee
You guys are making me miss using my pocket brush. I'm gonna have to find something to use it for soon…

Maybe sketch a bunch, and ink with it? :3
NickGuy at 12:20PM, April 30, 2009
(online)
hahah yah i was surprised at how much my inking skills have deteriorated in the month since ive had my tablet pc. but im gonna keep doing some more.

Hyena H_ll at 12:23PM, April 30, 2009
(online)
Ryu, you should totally give me yours if you're not using it. lol!
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:52PM
literacysuks1 at 6:56PM, April 30, 2009
(online)
Nice to see these pens are so popular…I got mine because I saw a guy on deviantart doing good things with it (I'm a sheep. baa.". I've inked with pen until now, so it's weird to be using this. My comics work is still done with pen, but I've been screwing around with the pentel on the side and ruining old sketchbook crap with it, which gets my line control up.

I've found it's also bringing out different qualities in my art…I generally work clean, but this brush gives me the strong urge to ink like Paul Pope. Odd.
Go read my superhero comic…because I told you to
http://www.drunkduck.com/Acrobat/

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:35PM
mattchee at 8:38PM, April 30, 2009
(online)
literacysuks1
I've found it's also bringing out different qualities in my art…I generally work clean, but this brush gives me the strong urge to ink like Paul Pope. Odd.

I've always envied Paul Pope's work– I'm so anal about my line work, I could never do work like that (I think…)– I'd bet he's probably pretty deliberate, but it comes off as so free….

literacysuks1 at 9:11PM, April 30, 2009
(online)
mattchee
literacysuks1

I've always envied Paul Pope's work– I'm so anal about my line work, I could never do work like that (I think…)– I'd bet he's probably pretty deliberate, but it comes off as so free….

I've always assumed it was like a mix of control and freedom. Like he knows where he wants to dry brush or lay down some hatching…but may not have the EXACT line or lines in his head when the brush goes to paper. He may be coming up with some stuff as he lays down the ink too…I can't be sure. All I know is that I like it.
Go read my superhero comic…because I told you to
http://www.drunkduck.com/Acrobat/

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:35PM
NickGuy at 11:44PM, April 30, 2009
(online)
my favorite thing about inking with this pen is the fact that i can get dry brush effect with it if i go fast, or go slick and wet if i go slow. and the way the point snaps back is sexy to me

skoolmunkee at 1:47AM, May 1, 2009
(online)
It is in fact a versatile god among brushpens
  IT'S OLD BATMAN
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:42PM
Ryuthehedgewolf at 3:43AM, May 1, 2009
(online)
NickGuy
my favorite thing about inking with this pen is the fact that i can get dry brush effect with it if i go fast, or go slick and wet if i go slow. and the way the point snaps back is sexy to me

Hahahaha.
This really makes me want to practice with it now.
Thanks NickGuy!
Aurora Borealis at 6:42AM, May 1, 2009
(online)
“drools at the mention of Paul Pope”.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:08AM
mattchee at 7:24PM, May 3, 2009
(online)
Mine came in the mail yesterday, I've been messing around with it all day today.

wow.

This pen, I mean, it really lives up to the hype. Well, its longevity remains to be seen for me at least, but everything I can tell so far, this pen is probably the best thing I've bought in a long time.

Seriously, when it comes to brush pens, there really should be no other pen to get than this one. I mean. All the others… should just quit and go home.

JoeL_CQB at 12:42AM, May 4, 2009
(online)
i want to get one just to play around with it. :P

i've seen “water pens” where you fill up the “cartrige” which is just the body of the pen with ink/watercolors. the tips are nylon bristols too. :/

i may get one of those to play around with my water soluble inks and then see about the pentel pens.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:10PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved