Comic Talk and General Discussion *

Personas and user names
Jayswash at 12:39PM, May 7, 2009
(offline)
Back in my e-wrestling days (yes it's as dorky as it sounds) there was more than one Jason on the message boards, so I went by Jay Swash as Swashy was a nickname I picked up in college. After awhile it just became my “net name” for pretty much everything. =)
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:07PM
Net at 12:52PM, May 7, 2009
(online)
what in the WORLD is e-wrestling?!?

Updating monthly since January, 2005!
**now full time on the Duck!**
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:12PM
Jayswash at 12:58PM, May 7, 2009
(offline)
Net

It's where you make up a fictional wrestler, say for instance “The Cutthroat Kid” Javis Blayde. You then design him as far as style, moves and finisher… his was “The Kiddie Coaster.”

From there you join a fed, and get put on “cards” with matches. Your job is to then write roleplaying stories better than your opponent, usually involving trash talking of said opponent.

The guys running the fed judge who did the rp's better, and then write out a wrestling show where the matches are acted out. And there are championships and all that involved.

During my heyday in the National Wrestling Council ( a collective of 6 feds, dozens on participants) it wasn't unusually for me to write 20 to 50 PAGES a week of roleplaying stories. Yeah, it's as crazy as it sounds. =)
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:07PM
Net at 1:19PM, May 7, 2009
(online)
Ah, ok. Sounds interesting, though you'd need a decent amount of wrestling knowledge to do it properly, I'd think. :)

Updating monthly since January, 2005!
**now full time on the Duck!**
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:12PM
DrLuck at 12:07AM, May 8, 2009
(online)
Mine is based on the fact I've always wanted to be called “doctor” without a certificate (much like Dr. Seuss did) and the “luck” part comes from the fact that I have an ungodly amount of luck. Whenever I play card games, I always get blamed for cheating somehow even though I don't. I do have my real name on my comic, though.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:17PM
Croi Dhubh at 8:34PM, May 8, 2009
(offline)
Jayswash
Net

It's where you make up a fictional wrestler, say for instance “The Cutthroat Kid” Javis Blayde. You then design him as far as style, moves and finisher… his was “The Kiddie Coaster.”

From there you join a fed, and get put on “cards” with matches. Your job is to then write roleplaying stories better than your opponent, usually involving trash talking of said opponent.

The guys running the fed judge who did the rp's better, and then write out a wrestling show where the matches are acted out. And there are championships and all that involved.

During my heyday in the National Wrestling Council ( a collective of 6 feds, dozens on participants) it wasn't unusually for me to write 20 to 50 PAGES a week of roleplaying stories. Yeah, it's as crazy as it sounds. =)
So…it's basically free-form roleplaying, but people decide who the real winner and what happened based on who they though wrote what was better?
Liberate Tutemae Ex Inferis
Moderatio est Figmentum: Educatio est Omnium Efficacissima Forma Rebellionis

http://weblog.xanga.com/CroiDhubh - Home to the “Chuck E. Cheese Terror” stories
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:55AM
Shinigami_Shimai at 4:56PM, May 9, 2009
(offline)
I use my real name on my art, but I found Kathryn Williams was a rather generic name that was usually already taken, along with Kat or Kat Williams. So I needed something I would remember that had some kind of connection to me and that no one else would use. So I took the a name from my first manga, now novel, which was for a group of death angels called the “Shinigami Shimai” Which literally means “Death Sisters”. Back then I'd already buried my first girlfriend, lost my entire family and was pretty much alone so the name suited me and my writing style.

It has been about 10 years since I first started using the nick and it sort of stuck so even though I'm happier and married with my soulmate the nick still relates to who I am in some way, more so considering the novel it was taken from is my most popular works. The only problem with it now is the amount of people who think it is related to one of the many new anime out there that deal with death angels. *sighs*

Kat
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:34PM
ParkerFarker at 6:52PM, May 12, 2009
(online)
My last name is Parker, but when I was back in Oz people called me ParkerFarker, so thats where i get mine from. Pretty simple. Although I had another account ages ago, Jaffa, and I used that name cause in Stargate SG-1 the main bad dudes are the Jaffa. I havent watched that in forever though.

“We are in the stickiest situation since Sticky the stick insect got stuck on a sticky bun.” - Blackadder
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:38PM
TokyoRose at 8:40PM, May 12, 2009
(offline)
Like others have said, it's my online personality here…my comic has my real name on the front cover and my Deviant art page has my real name. I came up with Tokyo Rose because it happened to be the name of my first comic, and I was so proud of it. Also back when I was just starting out, I wanted to use this as a kind of Pen Name.
Forgive your enemies, it messes with their head.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:32PM
Pandafilando at 10:17PM, May 12, 2009
(online)
i believe i've never used my real name on the internets, the username i have comes form a character in Don Quixote of La Mancha, his full name is Pandafilando de la Fosca vista (Pandafilando the squint sighted) a powerful giant who used to squint at his enemies in order to frighten them.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:38PM
oldguy85 at 4:08AM, May 17, 2009
(offline)
The old guy part is on my orfile ,but I tried to new register on a site once and oldguy was taken. So 85 mostly to mess with people but it is easy for me to remember.
I didn't think this to be an interesting topic, but I was wrong. Thanks, Dave
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:21PM
warefish at 5:16AM, May 17, 2009
(online)
People call me “Fish” anyway. So it's not that big a deal for me.

last edited on July 14, 2011 4:46PM
Pokkon at 6:28AM, May 17, 2009
(offline)
I remember playing a videogame in which one of the characters I had made such an adorable sound, I just had to tell a friend of mine about it. Describing what it sounded like was kinda hard, but in the end I told her it sounded like “pokkon!”, so she and a few other people started calling me that. xD
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:47PM
Air Raid Robertson at 2:32PM, May 19, 2009
(online)
My name isn't Air Raid Robertson, believe it or not. That's just the title of my “flagship comic”, so to speak.

I'm not keeping my real name a secret though. I sign every strip I post on here.

Well, I use a typewriter font, but you get the idea.
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:48AM
Gillespie at 4:54PM, May 19, 2009
(online)
Gillespie is my last name. I really like it, so that's my commons account name. I used to go by MetalFire, but I thought skulls were really cool back then as well (I had a flaming skull with horns as my logo). I still sort of do. :P
Being as I'm under 20, I thought it would be a good idea as to not get too personal with you creeps. (kidding, you guys are cool)

Aaaand that's why!
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:36PM
Lunaris Victoria at 8:57PM, May 19, 2009
(online)
I was trying to think of a name for a character and I wanted it to sound fancy. For some reason, this drive me to look through latin words.

Ten minutes later, I have a list of about eight words that look good, and I started mixing and matching. Victoria Lunaris (Victory of the Moon, I think was what it translated to) was my first choice…but I had this notion to switch things up at the last minute. Literally.

I've wound up using the name for roleplaying characters, short story characters, usernames on forums and instant messaging clients, and more. I don't know why, I just like it.
“If I don't say it, don't assume I won't. An open book still needs a reader to turn the page.”
-Me
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:49PM
TodayIsMonday at 3:27AM, May 21, 2009
(online)
I was on my way home from school when I somehow realized how stupidly awesome it would be to make a t-shirt that says “Today is Monday”, and never actually wearing it on a Monday. The day after that I was making an account on here and I didn't feel like using any of my usual usernames, so I left the registration window open for a while while I did some other stuff. Then I suddenly remembered my idea and decided to write it down somewhere so I wouldn't forget it again, and wrote it down as my username here.

I haven't made the shirt yet though.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:31PM
cartoonprofessor at 5:31AM, May 23, 2009
(offline)
My username is the name used by many of my students and customers.
It was created for my TV show (which I will get around to doing properly some day soon) and it sums up ‘what I do’ quite nicely.
My real name sounds like a great place to go fishing (so I've been told)
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:36AM
istaerlus at 7:31PM, June 7, 2009
(online)
I used to go by a different user name that I identified with more. But I ruined it with stupid behavior and other such trouble foolish teens get into.

Now that I've returned to various internet communities several years later I wanted a fresh start and for no one to recognize me. I couldn't decide what to call myself, and I didn't really want to use my real name because I don't like it much in RL either. So I used the name of one of the characters in my books, just on a whim. The funny thing is the character I used isn't the one I really see as myself. But Istaerlus sounds more interesting then the other character's name, Shepherd, and Shepherd being fairly common name usually means it's already used by the time I sign up.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:03PM
cirienphoenix at 10:41PM, June 10, 2009
(offline)
I use Cirien Phoenix (or variations of it) because it's connected to dozens of accounts that I have on different sites. If someone were to type it in, they would be able to find my fictionpress, my blog, etc. While they could find potentially personal information, I've taken the time to make sure that anything that could be dangerous to me has been hidden. It's my way that I've made a web of all my creative works online. Plus, the name is original enough and I haven't abused it, so it should be good for years and years.

Plus, my real name is pretty plain.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:42AM
skoolmunkee at 1:20AM, June 11, 2009
(offline)
I don't actually like my username very much, I wish I had come up with something more clever and less dorky when I had needed one. Changing it would be a wholesale thing though, just about every account I have is skoolmunkee-related (different passwords of course)… the upside is that no one else is using the name because of the spelling, the downside is that I always have to spell it and it sounds dumb when I'm telling anyone. :[
IT'S OLD BATMAN
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:42PM
pastel at 2:36AM, June 11, 2009
(offline)
I think when your name is something that is pretty common, you can still keep a level of anonymity on the internet.

For example, when typing ‘jason rivera’ into google, I got over 6 million hits. When I type in my own name, I got roughly 350. Yeesh D:
. K.A.L.A.-dan! Fujoshi! Mafia MASS MURDERER! Kitty and Pastel :D
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:40PM
Skullbie at 2:47AM, June 11, 2009
(online)
When my mom sees my username she's always like:
Mom:'Skull-bye? What's skull-bye!? D: Is that u? are u skull-bye???? D8'
Me:'-_- ….it's skull-bee…go away..'
Mom:'skull-BEE? what kind of name is skull-BEE? hurrhrur so that's you, huh, skull-bye?? i meen skull-BEE 8B'
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:47PM
Lemniskate at 6:45AM, June 11, 2009
(online)
My brother once gave me a playboy magazine and I actually read it. Among the useless facts presented was that the symbol for infinity, the lying 8, is called Lemniskate (“lemniscate” in English), and this seemed like such a cool word to me that I had to use it. I first used it as a username here on the Duck and since then wherever I can.
The other cool word I considered was Ampersand, the name of the &, but it seemed to be slightly better known, so I opted against it.
VaƄmyz umoj.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:34PM
skoolmunkee at 1:18PM, June 11, 2009
(offline)
Skullbie
When my mom sees my username she's always like:
Mom:'Skull-bye? What's skull-bye!? D: Is that u? are u skull-bye???? D8'
Me:'-_- ….it's skull-bee…go away..'
Mom:'skull-BEE? what kind of name is skull-BEE? hurrhrur so that's you, huh, skull-bye?? i meen skull-BEE 8B'

For some reason I've always mentally associated your username with like… those little skull clips that babydoll goths put in their hair.
IT'S OLD BATMAN
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:42PM
Skullbie at 1:37PM, June 11, 2009
(online)
D8
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:47PM
NickGuy at 1:50PM, June 11, 2009
(offline)
NickGuy…my name is Nick….and I'm a guy. if you want to know my full name, go to my profile…and take a moment to stop and read KFK, updating every other day!

shabadoowopabdabam!

“Kung Fu Komix IS…hardcore martial art action all the way. 8/10” -Harkovast
“Kung Fu Komix is that rare comic that is made with heart and love of the medium, and it delivers” -Zenstrive
“Kung Fu Komix is…so awesome” -threeeyeswurm
“Kung Fu Komix is..told with all the stupid exuberance of the genre it parodies” -The Real Macabre
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:15PM
Djeinus at 5:28PM, June 11, 2009
(online)
It was a name I came up for a guitar duo. The full name of that duo was Djeinus & Einus, and gullas was a member. I just started to use it everywhere.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:12PM
Hunchdebunch at 11:01AM, July 27, 2009
(online)
My username is a nickname that my sister gave me. She told me one day I was walking like a hunchback, so she started calling me hunch. The ‘de bunch’ part was added later. I think Hunch De Bunch has a nice ring to it lol. I don't mind that people call me that, by the way, even though it might sound like people are being mean to me. But my real name is Lauren.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:51PM
timlight at 6:24PM, July 27, 2009
(offline)
The username timlight has been my internet name since 1990s. Tim is my real first name while light is the English translation of my surname. The timlight combination originated from my high school English prof who recognized mixed lineage in our class. To be racially specific, I may possibly be the son of an Austronesian-Spanish father and an Asian-wannabeAmerican mother. But I aspire for a heavenly citizenship. ^^
Enjoy life!
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:30PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon