Comic Talk and General Discussion *

PETA Removes Anti-Fat Billboard
dueeast at 6:15AM, Aug. 28, 2009
(offline)
I don't know if this would be better off in Debate and Discussion, but since it's been resolved, it's more a news item. But if the moderators want to move it, that's cool with me. B)

This is what I wrote this morning on the website for ISAA (International Size Acceptance Association], the not-for-profit org that I founded in 1997 to promote self-esteem for people of all sizes and fight discrimination against fat people. Some of you may have seen PETA's “Save The Whales” billboards. If not, you can view it at the WOMBeta blog site I run, at http://womeasure.wordpress.com

Due East
08.28.09 - The People For The Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) has seen reason and removed the offensive “Save The Whales! Lose The Blubber. Go Vegetarian” billboard ads and replaced them with the ironic but considerably less offensive “Gone - Just like all the pounds lost by people who go vegetarian.”

“Gone” – as if to say to you, the public “Gone! We get it. We heard you loud and clear! We removed our ‘offensive’ ad and came up with something milder, okay?” And that's fine. That's all we were asking for.

This clearly shows once again that all it takes is a concentrated effort sending a simple yet very loud message to those who discriminate. With enough time and all the resources available (telephone, Facebook, MySpace, Twitter, blogs, webpages, faxes and postal mail), the offending party will get the message and if they do not wish to continue to be flooded with angry (yet peaceful) protest, which can also lead to boycotts of them financially, then they will change course and correct the problem. This works for politicians, corporations and anti-fat organizations like PETA.

Thank you ALL for your participation in this activism/advocacy effort. It may seem like something small – but in this case, within two weeks' time, you got PETA to replace billboard ads all across the United States! And those ads were berating and hurting fat people every time they saw them, sometimes multiple times in a day. So it's a big deal! Give yourselves a hand, you deserve it!
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:18PM
PIT_FACE at 6:43AM, Aug. 28, 2009
(online)
if i saw that billboard without reading this explanation, i wouldnt get it.hell i still dont think i get it. what's GONE? animals?whales? and then it says loose weight? i gotta drink my coffee then come back and check this out.MOTHER!

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:45PM
elektro at 6:57AM, Aug. 28, 2009
(offline)
“Great. Now, let's get rid of PETA.” I said while enjoying some tasty bacon, eggs, sausage, rack of lamb, four whole fried chickens and a coke for breakfast.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:21PM
Ryuthehedgewolf at 7:25AM, Aug. 28, 2009
(offline)
PIT_FACE
if i saw that billboard without reading this explanation, i wouldnt get it.hell i still dont think i get it. what's GONE? animals?whales? and then it says loose weight? i gotta drink my coffee then come back and check this out.MOTHER!

I think it's pretty much calling people who aren't vegetarian, fat.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:16PM
elektro at 7:49AM, Aug. 28, 2009
(offline)
Ryuthehedgewolf

Which I find somewhat insulting considering I eat meat and I only weigh 125 pounds at most.
ParkerFarker at 8:10AM, Aug. 28, 2009
(online)
elektro
Ryuthehedgewolf

Which I find somewhat insulting considering I eat meat and I only weigh 125 pounds at most.

I too find it insulting. And I've always liked Peta because of that ad with Eva Mendes. You know the one: “fur? I'd rather go naked”.

“We are in the stickiest situation since Sticky the stick insect got stuck on a sticky bun.” - Blackadder
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:39PM
Dark Pascual at 9:36AM, Aug. 28, 2009
(online)
Well, thats the way that PETA works. Calling names and offending everybody who don't agree with them. Honestly, I´ve always thought that they are nothing but well-endorsed bullies.

Personally, when a vegetarian debate erupts and turns that way, I just shout “Hitler was vegetarian!!!”…

Trolling is fun…

ParkerFarker
(…)I've always liked Peta because of that ad with Eva Mendes. You know the one: “fur? I'd rather go naked”.

Pretty much those are the only advertisment that seem to work, and more because most men will think “Gee, if I stop eating meat, I could score a hot chick like that”, but then again, we remember that giving up ribs perhaps is not worth it…

last edited on July 14, 2011 12:07PM
Niccea at 10:17AM, Aug. 28, 2009
(offline)
Dark Pascual
Well, thats the way that PETA works. Calling names and offending everybody who don't agree with them. Honestly, I´ve always thought that they are nothing but well-endorsed bullies.

They also blow up animal hospitals and veterinary clinics. My dad (who is a vet) said that they also tried to sneak some of their members in with some veterinary students going to a veterinarian convention. (Luckily people realized they didn't recognize the plant and they were kicked out).
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:14PM
TheFlyingGreenMonkey at 11:48AM, Aug. 28, 2009
(online)
I don't get it do they think fat people eat whales? I mean don't include whales when your just going to make fun of people. I do prefer the secound bill board though. Gone vegetarian.

last edited on July 14, 2011 4:17PM
Dark Pascual at 11:48AM, Aug. 28, 2009
(online)
Niccea
They also blow up animal hospitals and veterinary clinics. My dad (who is a vet) said that they also tried to sneak some of their members in with some veterinary students going to a veterinarian convention. (Luckily people realized they didn't recognize the plant and they were kicked out).

I was aware that PETA have issues against Medical Research on animals and even guide dogs for blinds. And that terrorist attacks against Medical Facilities that use animals was the Animal Liberation Front (well, yes, pretty much PETA's fight dogs) responsability.

However, I didn't know that they have issues against animal hospitals.

BTW in a more informal note, ISAA should hire Samoa Joe as their spokeman and send him to Ingrid Newkirk…

Joe's gonna kill ya…
Freegurt at 12:01PM, Aug. 28, 2009
(online)
I just feel bad for the sane environmentalists/vegetarians. PETA gives them all a bad name.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:31PM
usedbooks at 2:20PM, Aug. 28, 2009
(online)
PETA is always offensive. It's how they get attention. They come up with offensive imagery first and then tack on a message. They once had two sexy women making out on a parade float. The message? Go vegan. When interviewed about it, the PETA representative fumbled on her words, citing something about meat causing impotence. The reporter asked why , if it was about male impotence, was a man not used in the float display. Poor PETA woman was at a loss. (I wish I could find that video to share.)

Don't get me started on PETA. They insult the intelligence of the public and their members by relying on shock and scare tactics instead of candid. Not only that but they mask their true platform and goals (animal rights/liberation) under a thin pretense of animal welfare or human health. Their entire organization's approach is lies and manipulation. While I would still disagree with them, at least I would respect them more if they stated flat out “Our organization opposes animals being kept captive or used for any purpose including companionship, medicine, food, entertainment, search-and-rescue, etc.” rather than resorting to all the emotional and mental manipulation. They might not get as much support, but they wouldn't be tripping over themselves as much pretending to care about animal welfare while taking animals out of shelters to euthanized or stealing them from show rings and releasing them to starve to death in the forest. (Btw, one of the heads of PETA uses animal-derived insulin to treat her diabetes. Ah, hypocrisy.)

Um, sorry. Did I mention I hate PETA?

This opinion is brought to you by a conversationalist, biologist, and animal welfare advocate.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:38PM
Lonnehart at 3:15PM, Aug. 28, 2009
(online)
Wow… I see them more like “rabid” vegetarians… and when I say “rabid” I mean the “follow my views or I'll violently shove them down your throat” type of rabid. So we're “fat” if we eat meat? blech…

I just lump them in the same group as other groups that leave a bad taste in my mind… which I won't mention right now because I might light this thread on fire… :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:39PM
subcultured at 3:33PM, Aug. 28, 2009
(online)
peta is a whinny baby organization
here's my ad
“PETA….
can suck my balls”

J
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:04PM
Mr Lostman at 3:54PM, Aug. 28, 2009
(offline)
I think I've seen that picture before. I just can't put my finger on where…
Blood Martian Flowers. Occasionally updates.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:07PM
Eirikr at 4:18PM, Aug. 28, 2009
(online)
elektro
“Great. Now, let's get rid of PETA.” I said while enjoying some tasty bacon, eggs, sausage, rack of lamb, four whole fried chickens and a coke for breakfast.

And some dry white toast please.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:20PM
Croi Dhubh at 5:26PM, Aug. 28, 2009
(offline)
I prefer whole wheat toast, myself, followed by sourdough…YUMMY!

So…basically what they were trying to say is that eating meat is making you fat? I think we've all got news for them…it's not eating meat making people fat, it's people OVER EATING making them fat. After all, a plain donut can be very fattening if you're eating ten for breakfast every day and not exercising.

Also, people shouldn't be encouraged to just be happy with how they look. Sorry, but I'm not going to be all happy and turned on just because some really fat woman is happy with how she looks naked.
Liberate Tutemae Ex Inferis
Moderatio est Figmentum: Educatio est Omnium Efficacissima Forma Rebellionis

http://weblog.xanga.com/CroiDhubh - Home to the “Chuck E. Cheese Terror” stories
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:55AM
ParkerFarker at 6:02PM, Aug. 28, 2009
(online)
oh, from reading some of these comments I didn't know peta was that insane.

Croi Dhubh
Also, people shouldn't be encouraged to just be happy with how they look. Sorry, but I'm not going to be all happy and turned on just because some really fat woman is happy with how she looks naked.
some people would be turned on. I don't think people should be discouraged to be happy with how they look. As long as someone knows that s/he's fat, I don't see a reason to say “Your fat and ugly, lose some weight pig!” Cause that could cause people to become anorexic, which imo looks a equally as bad as fat.

“We are in the stickiest situation since Sticky the stick insect got stuck on a sticky bun.” - Blackadder
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:39PM
usedbooks at 6:10PM, Aug. 28, 2009
(online)
1 of 4

2 of 4
3 of 4
4 of 4
demontales at 6:52PM, Aug. 28, 2009
(online)
Croi Dhubh

I think people should be encouraged to be happy when THEY, and not some general conception of beauty, think they look good. If a woman(or man) thinks she looks fat and she doesn't like it for her personal reason, she should try to loose weight. If she is ok with it, and thinks she is attractive, well she shouldn't change her weight.

last edited on July 14, 2011 12:10PM
elektro at 8:17PM, Aug. 28, 2009
(offline)
PETA violently opposes animal research and animal killers, yet 1/3 of the animals they rescue are killed.

http://www.allacademic.com/meta/p_mla_apa_research_citation/2/6/0/3/2/p260321_index.html

Did I also mention that I really hate PETA and think they should be put on the terrorist watch list?
BffSatan at 10:45PM, Aug. 28, 2009
(online)
The ads PETA uses are no different than the ads most fat-cat corporations use.
I really don't give a shit what PETA does, if they blow up a building then let the police deal with the people who blew it up, don't go making out the entire group is pure evil.
As far as I am concerned, the only reason people are against PETA is because of their own insecurities about eating meat. It's the same people who are vocal against PETA who are vocal against vegetarianism for “trying to convert people to their ways.”*
Total amount of vegetarians who have tried to make me a vegetarian: 0
Total amount of omnivores who have bitched about how much they hate vegetarians: too many to count.

People have a right to be vegetarian, if you oppose vegetarianism you oppose fundamental civil rights to control your own life.

So cry me a fucking river. There is no reason to have taken these ads down, vegetarianism can help a lot of people lose weight, a lot of people are fat and want to lose weight. No crime was ever done, they were just trying to appeal sell a product to a specific group.

*Note how much “all vegetarians want to make me vegetarian” sounds like “all Muslims want to make me Muslim” and “all homosexuals want to make me homosexual.”
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:21AM
Dark Pascual at 12:49AM, Aug. 29, 2009
(online)
BffSatan
I really don't give a shit what PETA does, if they blow up a building then let the police deal with the people who blew it up, don't go making out the entire group is pure evil.
As far as I am concerned, the only reason people are against PETA is because of their own insecurities about eating meat. It's the same people who are vocal against PETA who are vocal against vegetarianism for “trying to convert people to their ways.”*
Total amount of omnivores who have bitched about how much they hate vegetarians: too many to count.

People have a right to be vegetarian, if you oppose vegetarianism you oppose fundamental civil rights to control your own life.

So cry me a fucking river. There is no reason to have taken these ads down, vegetarianism can help a lot of people lose weight, a lot of people are fat and want to lose weight. No crime was ever done, they were just trying to appeal sell a product to a specific group.

*Note how much “all vegetarians want to make me vegetarian” sounds like “all Muslims want to make me Muslim” and “all homosexuals want to make me homosexual.”

Thing is that we are not talking about vegatarians-vegans as a whole, but about certain group of particulary confrontational persons. If you want to spend the life eating carrots and lettuce, good for you. I fail to see the apealing (like I fail to see the apealing of kissing guys or go the the Mecca once in my lifetime), but, hey! Who am I to judge you, right?

In all fairness, if I want to clog my arteries with delicious, righteous, infalible fried chicken…well, then grab a piece or shut up (thats at least how PETA rolls).

PETA are not the posterboys for well adjusted vegetarians-vegans…Hell, I think that they are not posterboys for well adjusted human beings.

PETA gets sensitive about animals getting eated, some people will get sensitive about being called whales. Blame Political Correctness.

Besides, We have people questioning each others political stance, sexual orientation, religious beliefs, football team…And above all that crap, now people have to defend their FUCKING LUNCH? I would cry a fucking river, but I would like to toss a PETArd to that river, instead.

And as a bonus point, trolling PETA is fun…their among the last valid targets to ventilate irrational hate.

Im really sorry if I came out a little bit confrontational, but NOBODY GETS BETWEEN ME AND MY TROLLING…OR MY BBQ BABY RIBS!!!
dueeast at 1:48PM, Aug. 29, 2009
(offline)
People are bothered by PETA because their ads tend to be crude and tactless. They also provide misinformation (“going vegetarian will make you lose weight” - how many fat vegetarians do you know? I know quite a few!).

Most people don't care about meat enough to have any insecurities. We just eat meat. Most people don't care if someone else is a vegetarian.

PETA thrives with in-your-face advertising, regardless of who it hurts or doesn't hurt. I was personally written by someone whom the “Save The Whales” billboard ruined their trip to the beach, and when they asked for ISAA's help, I'm the one who started the campaign against PETA. I felt tremendous satisfaction when PETA had the good sense to get rid of those stupid ads and put something that, while inaccurate, was at least less in-your-face.

BffSatan

last edited on July 14, 2011 12:18PM
Skullbie at 2:00PM, Aug. 29, 2009
(online)
dueeast
how many fat vegetarians do you know? I know quite a few!).

Dude i thought i was the only one 0_0 I know 4 fat vegetarians, it's just kinda like “…huh?” when they said they are. Even worse is one of them tried to argue that you can still be vegetarian and eat chicken and fish. Riiiiiiight.

But on another note my aunt, uncle and cousin are all vegan and super flatboard skinny.

And about the actual ad, do these people have their heads so far up a goats ass that they can't see the complete lack of empathy for human beings? The red scare used more tact then this.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:47PM
Lonnehart at 2:10PM, Aug. 29, 2009
(online)
Skullbie
Even worse is one of them tried to argue that you can still be vegetarian and eat chicken and fish. Riiiiiiight.skinny.

…….

No idea how that can be. My diet is mostly vegetables with chicken and fish but I'm not vegetarian. I just like vegetables more (especially green beans, peas, and braenz… er… cauliflower)

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:39PM
usedbooks at 2:16PM, Aug. 29, 2009
(online)
dueeast
People are bothered by PETA because their ads tend to be crude and tactless.
Actually, I couldn't care less about their choice of advertising. It's the way they mask their true purpose and end up getting support from people who believe they are supporting a good cause when they aren't. PETA is not an animal welfare group. They are more along the lines of animal slavery abolition. They would rather animals be suffering or dead than captive.

But they don't tell people this, and that is the biggest reason to be “bothered” by PETA. Because well-meaning people join and support them, not knowing that what they are supporting has nothing to do with helping animals, improving quality of human life, or helping the environment.

BffSatan
In the case of PETA, it's more like if it was an organization that told people it's trying to feed starving people, so everyone rallies behind them, but their real objective is something completely unrelated and semi(being generous)-insane like installing an ear of corn as dictator and slaughtering everyone named Steve.

I don't have problems with vegetarians. The “preachy” ones are annoying, but if they have a real reason for it (and even “converting” people) and are up front about that reason, then I respect that. However, PETA says “do it for health” but that has nothing at all to do with their reasons.
gullas at 5:26PM, Aug. 29, 2009
(offline)
silly PETA, don't they know that the little lambs go out and eat bunch of grass and become fat lambs?

man I want some bacon now, guess I'll have to go with that cake I've got here, mmm cake…
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:39PM
lastcall at 7:22AM, Aug. 30, 2009
(offline)
Dark Pascual
Agreed
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:28PM
Freegurt at 10:00AM, Aug. 30, 2009
(online)
Here we go…

last edited on July 14, 2011 12:31PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon