Comic Talk, Tips and Tricks

Photoshop and tablets...
MarcusRaven at 11:41PM, July 28, 2007
(offline)
I have a tablet PC, and am trying to learn Photoshop. I'm curious if anybody out there “inks” their art by tracing it IN Photoshop, and if so, what do you use to do it. (Setting-wise.) I'm mostly curious as to what dimensions you start at, resolutions used, tools used, and those various tools' settings. I'm looking for some ideas to play around with and practice with to see what I might be able to use for my own comic, because Photoshop is much to complicated a tool to just jump in to, and I've found absolutely no tutorial sites out there that deal with “Digital Inking.”
When the fate of the world depends on whether you play with your toys or not, what would you do?
Dollhouse
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:51PM
glenfx at 12:16AM, Aug. 1, 2007
(online)
I ink in a program called “Manga Studio” which is specialized for inking. But you can achieve the same results in photoshop.

Id advice you to ink at no less than 600dpi of the final size (i mean, if your work is 20 by 20 inches/cms and 72dpi you have to scale the dpi from 72 to 600…. 72dpi is usually the default)

then use the pencil tool to ink. (why the pencil?) use the pencil because it will give you the full black pixelated line which is easyer to color than the smooth/antialiased line. and dont mind the pixelated look, youll resize the image in the end and will look great.
you can try setting the pencil to be dynamic si you can have the line variation with the preasure of the tablet.

(i think i might do a tutorial on this though :P)

last edited on July 14, 2011 12:37PM
MarcusRaven at 9:43AM, Aug. 9, 2007
(offline)
Are there other steps involved here? I tried doing exactly what you said, but Photoshop seems to anti-alias the lines I make when I scale it back down. I'm using the pencil with just black. I'm guessing there's a setting or option I'm overlooking. Besides that, this technique seems right on for what I need to do.
When the fate of the world depends on whether you play with your toys or not, what would you do?
Dollhouse
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:51PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved