Comic Talk, Tips and Tricks

Photoshop or...
Demonik at 11:11PM, May 14, 2008
(offline)
So one of my friends brought up an interesting suggestion for the way I do my comics. Now, to get it out of the way. I don't draw line art or sketches or anything. i just draw and if I like it, I use it. if not, I redo it.

Anyway, currently, I use Macromedia Flash MX 2004. Originally I was going to use it for animations but since switched to drawing with it.

Now, photoshop, it's popular, a lot of people use it and I'll admit, it looks good. But since I'll use it for pretty much just drawing, will it be better then using Flash?
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:10PM
Daiconv at 8:45AM, May 15, 2008
(online)
That really depends. I really love flash though, so my opinions may be a bit bias.

I'm assuming you're using a wacom tablet, but personally, I find it very difficult to draw in PS. Maybe it's my cpu, but I always get this lag when I draw too fast and I keep having to pause to wait for the cpu to catch up. Also, PS doesn't have that nifty auto correction thing for your lines. I have a very steady inking hand, but all my lines always come out really shaky in PS.

But in the end, if flash has been giving you good results, then why change it? Especially if you're only doing flat colors. “If it ain't broke, don't fix it” er something.
without buttcheecks, it's just a hole.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:03PM
Demonik at 9:35PM, May 15, 2008
(offline)
Yeah, but the thing is. I've no wacom tablet. Not sure if it would be a waste of money or not. So i've been surviving with using a mouse and flash and just going “Please god, let it look half decent!”
killersteak at 10:31PM, May 15, 2008
(offline)
Without a wacom tablet I'd say photoshop would only be useful to you for - coloring, shading, filters and cropping and also maybe adding text. If you have a scanner you could do all that stuff in photoshop to your scanned in pages and get them looking really spiffy too.

You could get get a wacom tablet that comes with photoshop elements, that'd be killing two birds with one stone.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:15PM
skoolmunkee at 1:44AM, May 16, 2008
(online)
For people who only want to do the basics, Photoshop is overkill. People want PS because it's high-profile but unless you're going to use PS like a professional you're wasting your money. There are tons of other programs out there that do the basic stuff just fine.

In fact, if you get a tablet, it usually comes with a sampling of free software that will usually do all the stuff most people will need.
  IT'S OLD BATMAN
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:41PM
Demonik at 3:30AM, May 16, 2008
(offline)
Hm, well if the tablets are good, I may have to consider getting one…someday. Though, yeah. PS for me is a bit overkill, not to mention confusing. I feel I am not worthy yet for the photoshop.
Daiconv at 7:43AM, May 16, 2008
(online)
oh, if you're not using a tablet, then definitely stick with flash unless you want to do crazy super detailed colors. The line and shape tools in flash are really good substitutes for a wacom, if not better because you can get super perfect lines:

http://benreynolds.dying-breed.net/art/miko_turnarounds.jpg

I made this character with a mouse using the line and shape tools in flash.
without buttcheecks, it's just a hole.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:03PM
mattchee at 10:49AM, May 16, 2008
(online)
Dude. I have a Wacom Graphire4… its small (4x5, i think), but i love it. I think the Graphire4 got discontinued except for bluetooth versions, you might want to check out the bamboo? (never tried it) Anyway, mine was like $99 when i got it, which was the cheapest true Wacom tablet i could get, and I'm pretty happy with it.

I use my Wacom with Photoshop CS to create my comics from start to finish (except i use illustrator for lettering). I experience no lag, and i have an older Apple G4 duel 1.25ghz (circa 2001 or 2002). I think, for my comics work, anyway, I could get away with something as simple as photoshop elements… but I'm a graphic designer, so I use CS for plenty of other things besides comics (same goes for illustrator).

Flash is a good option too, if you're going for vector drawing. It's kinda like apples and oranges comparing it to a raster image program like Photoshop. Vector drawing has its advantages, and It was a strong consideration, but I want my comic to look like it was done traditionally (or at least balance the gap between traditional and computer generated). My art is a completed file (minus letters) in 2 steps now, compared to about 6 when I start with traditional media.

As far as using a Wacom. Its rough to start, even if you're handy with a mouse, its something you have to get the hang of, but if you just do it and keep at it for a short bit, it will be second nature before you know it! Frankly when I first got it, I was shocked at how difficult it seemed. But the allure of saving all those steps got me practicing my digital inking skills with it, and one day I started doing my “pencils” with it on a lark, and have never looked back. I think now I draw better with the tablet than I do on paper! My only gripe is, with Photoshop anyway (I hear its different), you can't rotate the page the way you would with a piece of paper when you're drawing (well you can, but in PS it resamples the image every time you do rather than just keeping the same image and turning it, which is no good, and takes too long).

Sorry for the rant…
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:55PM
ozoneocean at 8:11AM, May 17, 2008
(online)
Let's keep this stuff in one thread eh?

http://www.drunkduck.com/community/view_topic.php?tid=39812&cid=238

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:31PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved