Comic Talk, Tips and Tricks

Photoshop settings when inking
bloodstaindstoat at 9:47PM, Jan. 30, 2007
(offline)
One of the reasons I ink by hand is because when I ink with photoshop and my tablet it looks like a retarded monkey did it. I either get sort of wavy lines from long strokes, or choppy thick lines from lots of short strokes. Any advice on how to not suck at digitally inking or a nugget of photoshop insight? I'd be happy to hear.
One, Two, Three and…

last edited on July 14, 2011 11:27AM
acadia at 10:58PM, Jan. 30, 2007
(online)
One thing i RECENTLY discovered, is to use a calligraphic brush. I'm assuming youve got all the other stuff down (pressure sensitive diameter, etc.)

last edited on July 14, 2011 10:45AM
bloodstaindstoat at 4:19PM, Jan. 31, 2007
(offline)
acadia
One thing i RECENTLY discovered, is to use a calligraphic brush. I'm assuming youve got all the other stuff down (pressure sensitive diameter, etc.)
OH MY GOD. The calligraphy brushes are amazing. Thanks so much!
One, Two, Three and…

last edited on July 14, 2011 11:27AM
reconjsh at 4:08AM, Feb. 18, 2007
(online)
For smooth lines:
* I work at 600 dpi… and sometimes may work at as much as 400% magnification (try ctrl + plussign and ctrl + minussign for easy zooming). This means that something that is a .5“ on a printed piece of paper may take up my entire screen when I stroke.
* THE PEN TOOL! Try, learn and master the Pen Tool. It's hard to figure out just playing with it, so find a tutorial. Worth it's virtual weight in gold.

For stroke weight variance:
* I often times will stroke an entire section or drawing all at once with low pixel setting with a round brush. Then I'll go back through and change the pixel setting and thicken the lines where I want them thickened.
* A better way is to go to the Brush Setting window (WINDOW > Brush) and play with ”pressure“ settings in SHAPE DYNAMICS or, a better one, ”fade“.
* My most common method is to find the lines I would stroke with a REAL brush and then create a PEN TOOL path and the fudge with the Brush Engine until I find the exact stroke I want… then right click the path and choose ”stroke path“.

The biggest 2 suggestions for digital inkers using photoshop are: MASTER the Pen Tool and get VERY familiar with the PS Brush Engine found on the WINDOW>BRUSH pallette. Just type ”inking in photoshop tutorial“ into Google and I'm sure tons of people will have thorough tutorials on how to do everything I've mentioned.

Don't forget that in PS you can define everything on your brush… like the tip (I like roundness 55% and angle -140 degrees in ”Brush Tip Shape“ and then I use the Shape Dynamics and use ”pressure“ and ”fade" alot with my tablet.)
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:02PM
Rich at 7:06AM, Feb. 18, 2007
(online)
The pen tool seems to be the best way to ink in Photoshop. Fact is, Photoshop does jack shit to smooth your lines, so inking it with a brush tool is horribly time consuming. Either use the pen tool or ink by hand.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:07PM
Friedenmann at 9:25AM, Feb. 18, 2007
(online)
I use the basic brush in Photoshop myself. I scan pics in 600dpi, and draw the outline with 9px brush. Then resize to sth. around 15-17%, depends on pic. But since drawin' an outline in Photoshop takes me nice few hours, while drawin' a comic I stick to traditional media which is lots faster.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:31PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved