Comic Talk, Tips and Tricks

Photoshop Sizing woes
RabbitMaster at 8:31PM, July 27, 2007
(online)
Ok, so I have a comic page drawn on an 11x17 bristol board and an 8 1/2 x11 scanner. My plan was to scan the large page in 3 or 4 stages and then cut, paste and align the stages onto a blank 11x17 Photoshop document(basically cut it up and then put it back together in Photoshop)
When I tried to cut and paste the portion onto the blank document, it filled the whole 11 x 17 document, and then some. So I did a free transform to bring it down to size, but that left me with the chore of cutting and pasting each size and guesstimating how much to adjust each one to make them all line up with each other. It's late, I'm tired, and I'm an amateur. There has got to be an easier way to do this. Any ideas?

And please use small words.

“Perhaps you would care to try your villany on a less defenseless opponent?”–Kung Fu Rabbit
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:57PM
arteestx at 5:31AM, July 28, 2007
(online)
I haven't done this myself, but you should be able to scan your image only twice and then put the two halves together, instead of trying to deal with 3 or 4 stages. Put the 11“ side of the bristol board along the 11” side of the scanner and you should be able to get the entire image in only two scans. That would be my first suggestion.

My next suggestion would be to put it together in a canvas that is larger than 11 x 17, like at least 12 x 18, instead of trying to shoehorn it immediately into the right size. First try to make the halves (or all the pieces) line up and match first in this larger canvas, then once you've gotten it right and merged it all together, THEN try to transform the entire art down to fit within 11 x 17.

Not having done this, that's all I can think of off the top of my head, hope it helps.

Xolta is not intended for anyone under 18 years old.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:02AM
Darth Mongoose at 6:42AM, July 28, 2007
(online)
Don't bother doing it that way. Scan all the image in, arrange it at the size it's all at when scanned, then ‘flatten image’ on the ‘layers’ menu when it's all arranged (if it's on different layers) and THEN right click the window bar, go to ‘image size’ on the menu that comes up and size the whole thing down to 11x17.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:08PM
BlastAsteroid at 6:58AM, July 29, 2007
(offline)
Yeah what Arteestx says is exactly how I do it. Two scans at the same size, 300 dpi. Make a canvas that's bigger than 11x17 and paste the two scans on their own layers (3 layers total, incl background). Don't scale anything at this point just bump pixel by pixel with the move tool, maybe rotate a half degree here and there until the line up. Merge your two scan layers and you are good to go. I usually work in 300 dpi - 600 dpi is overkill when it comes to printing and a memory hog at that.
————–
Shawn: \m/ RAWK * !

————–
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:24AM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved