Comic Talk, Tips and Tricks

Picking an Art Style to Fit the Comic
AwesomeUnicorn at 9:46AM, Jan. 3, 2010
(offline)
I'm really hoping this is the right forum for this, I couldn't think of anywhere better to post it.

In my comic, I keep switching back and forth between two art styles. The writing style is just absolutely idiotic (intentionally) and the art style generally fits that. The problem is, occasionally I want to feel like I can still draw normally, so I end up with a few pages that look decent instead of like they were drawn by a five-year-old.

What do you guys think? Does the comic work better with the bad style, like this?

Link

Or like yesterday's page: Link
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:14AM
demontales at 11:42AM, Jan. 3, 2010
(online)
I think both styles work. What's most important with a story/writing that isn't serious or linear is to keep an art style that doesn't add confusion. Both of your stles are clear, so it's really how you feel doing it.

People who reads humour comics are often less picky about art than for drama, but that doesn't mean you have to draw less good than you feel you should.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:10PM
Futon at 8:12AM, Jan. 4, 2010
(online)
Well, I think you should go with the better style. Using both styles works fine, but it only adds to the comic to do all the strips ‘well’.

It really doesn't lose any charm if you stick to the better style, so why not go for it.

#56 in Comic Book/Story #73 Overall
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:32PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved