Media Megaforum

Pirates of the Caribbean 2
Mazoo at 1:14AM, July 7, 2006
(offline)
Well, it's about 3 AM where I live and I just got home from the midnight showing of the new Pirates of the Caribbean movie. Believe me, I was roped into this. Here are my two cents on the movie:

*SPOILERS*

Overall the movie was pretty good, but it was basically a filler. There really wasn't any substance; all it was was action, action, some
drama and more action. Sure there was a plot, but it seemed unimportant. The movie only lasted about 2 hours and 45 minutes, but I felt like it dragged on forever. It was there only to set up for the 3rd and final movie. (By “killing off” Jack Sparrow. The 3rd one is going to be about bringing him back and finishing off Davey Jones… and something about the East India Trading Co.)

The visual effects were nice. Yes, there was CGI, but I think it was used tastefully. Davey Jones' crew were very amusing to look at.

Despite being a sequel, there were these many reoccurrances that I think brought down the movie. Sure, you have the main characters, but there were others who just suddenly popped in and had a large role, even though you thought they were done from the first movie. Barbosa even comes back! It felt like there were no new faces that had any importance in the movie, except for Davey Jones and Will's dad. That was a bit disappointing.

All the characters seemed very “mean” in this movie. Yeah, they've changed a bit through experiences and blah, but this movie doesn't take place that long after the first. Suddenly everyone hates each other and is stabbing one another in the back! And they add a love triangle between Jack, Will and Elizabeth. Poor writing.

Basically the movie is good if you want to go see an actiony film but no real substance of a story.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:56PM
ccs1989 at 7:42AM, July 7, 2006
(online)
I think there's only one major draw for people to see this movie: Captain Jack Sparrow.

That's all.
http://ccs1989.deviantart.com

“If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.”
-Henry David Thoreau, Walden
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:37AM
SarahN at 5:12PM, July 7, 2006
(online)
I have been worried about the humor of this sequel. Kind of like with the Mummy Returns, they over did the one-liners and goofy humor, I'm worried about that happening here.

So does this mean they didn't over do it and I won't be annoyed by Pirates 2?
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:22PM
suzi at 2:47PM, July 8, 2006
(online)
I really liked it…it was just…a good time. A rollicking good time. Some very innovative fight scenes (the cage, the fruit, the wheel…) and well-done slapstick humor. Overall just fun.

And you gotta love Cap'n Cthulhu XD
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:05PM
ccs1989 at 2:48PM, July 8, 2006
(online)
You should definitly see the “Ask a Ninja” review of this movie.
www.askaninja.com

“If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.”
jalford at 12:54AM, July 11, 2006
(online)
So is this the one from The Monkees?
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:06PM
Barguest at 10:56AM, July 11, 2006
(offline)
suzi
And you gotta love Cap'n Cthulhu XD

Is that actually Cthulhu in the movie? I just saw the trailer and was like “OMFG CTHULHU IN A DISNEY MOVIE!?!?” Doubt it though. :/
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:15AM
Mimarin at 12:02PM, July 11, 2006
(offline)
Cthulhu is a giant, he also has wings and dosen't speak so don't be silly.
Of course you will. All intelligent beings dream. Nobody knows why.

Also, tell random people they are awsome! it helps!
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:02PM
jalford at 2:06PM, July 11, 2006
(online)
Hey, kids! Why not try new Sugar-Coated Cap'n Cthulu Crunchies! A free Overfiend Gashapon in every box!
Tundra at 9:06PM, July 11, 2006
(offline)
What you have to remember, about the ‘dragging on’ is that this is half of a movie, technically. Sorry if you didn't know t hat, but, i'd assume that you'd avoid threads like this if you didn't want any spoilers at all. But anyway, since technically it's 5 hours long or so, I felt that it was perfectly well paced.
http://www.notebookinhand.com Forum for artists, writers, and other creative types.
http://www.drunkduck.com/Notebook
http://www.notnegativenews.com Get positive news here! Improve your day. Share your links.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:35PM
jalford at 1:28AM, July 12, 2006
(online)
Why was the monkey still zombified? They reversed the curse in COTBP. That should've effected everyone and everything that was under it, whether they were human or not, or dead or undead. There were enough undead and cursed damned people/monsters in this thing. I was wondering why “youknowwho” was in listed in the sequal on the cast page at Amazon.com, and thought it was just a typo at first.

Davey Jones' crew looked like something out of a bad Power Rangers villains roster, but with better makeup. So, does Jones work for someone else? Like he was represented the gods of the sea or something.

But, man! Even for a f—ing pirate movie, there was way more backstabbing then there should've been. It's was like, “Thanx for coming back to save us, but now we'll leave you to die. Have fun getting killed!” I mean, Will has to go back and save his dad anyway, so what the hell are they running away for? Other than of course to do the obligatory sequal. Not that they couldn't have finished the series in this movie. Lunatic asylums have less padding in them then this movie did.
Stain at 1:47AM, July 12, 2006
(offline)
I just watched the movie. I wish I had my jar of dirt.
Dirk Zephyrs
Stain is also pretty hot.
Lawl @ Homosexuality

K.A.L.A.-dan! Trap!
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:55PM
jalford at 2:50AM, July 12, 2006
(online)
Oh, slow the plot down, laddy
Slow the plot down
Way hey
Slow the plot down!
We'll scuttle the story and run her aground
We'll try so hard to slow the plot down!

Oh, slow the plot down, laddy
Slow the plot down
Way hey
Slow the plot down
With German, Italian and Japanese clowns

We'll make you a movie that's long immense
Way hey
Slow the plot down
Just give us a script that makes no friggin' sense
We'll try so hard to slow the plot down

So slow the plot down, laddy
Slow the plot down
Way hey
Slow the plot down
Just scuttle the story and run her aground
Tundra at 8:09AM, July 12, 2006
(offline)
jalford
Why was the monkey still zombified? They reversed the curse in COTBP. That should've effected everyone and everything that was under it, whether they were human or not, or dead or undead.

I had to ask friends about that. We were all going ‘erm, why is he still undead…’ and then someone remembered how there's a scene after the credits in the first one, where the monkey takes one of the cursed coins out of the chest. And since I doubt it's going to repay blood, it's cursed.
http://www.notebookinhand.com Forum for artists, writers, and other creative types.
http://www.notnegativenews.com Get positive news here! Improve your day. Share your links.
Mazoo at 9:18AM, July 12, 2006
(offline)
Tundra
jalford
Why was the monkey still zombified? They reversed the curse in COTBP. That should've effected everyone and everything that was under it, whether they were human or not, or dead or undead.

I had to ask friends about that. We were all going ‘erm, why is he still undead…’ and then someone remembered how there's a scene after the credits in the first one, where the monkey takes one of the cursed coins out of the chest. And since I doubt it's going to repay blood, it's cursed.
Yeah, that's just poor writing. Since the monkey is the key comic-relief in the first 1/3 or so of the movie, they should've had that extra scene actually in the movie. There was another extra scene at the end of the second movie that I didn't stay after to see… and it probably has some big key point to the whole of the third movie now, with the way things are going.
jalford at 2:11AM, July 15, 2006
(online)
They so need to have Keith Richards come in and play Jack's cursed undead father!
Inkmonkey at 7:33AM, July 15, 2006
(offline)
Well, they've got Keith signed up to be in the next film already, though I don't think he'll end up being undead. I'm wagering that he'll end up as a retired pirate and the crew will run into him while searching for a way to bring Jack back.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:59PM
jalford at 3:14PM, July 15, 2006
(online)
He'll probably end up falling out of another coconut tree.
marine at 5:21PM, July 15, 2006
(offline)
It has pirates, cthullu is a villain pirate, also a few explosions are involved. It was a disney movie, so that automatically means I hate it as par a stance on disney movies I made some time ago.

However, this one gets the same rating as the first one. Its not a bad movie, not a good movie, just watchable. Like right now, I'm watching part one on USA. I don't like it. I never went out and thought Johnny Depp was cool because of it, like every 15 year old white girl I know did when it first came out, its just a pretty entertaining bruchiemer movie. Like Con-Air or the mondern catalyst for every movie made now, Armagedden, its just something I'll watch on TV when its on. Its got explosions, a star in the lead, one dimensional characters, and probably mild romantic themes as well as a villain. I'm not really into piratism, but its still pretty well made movie.

I give it a passing grade. Considering what it is, it wasn't bad, but as my stance on all Disney produced films is as it is, I can't officially claim to like the movie, its characters, plot, or anything else.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:51PM
spambot at 9:54AM, July 16, 2006
(offline)
The one-liners that were right from the first movie seemed really lame.
This movie seemed to serve no purpose but to set up the next movie, so it seemeed like a big waste of time to me.
So many plotlines…

I'm also doing that other comic "Space Waffles".
We now have a podcast called The Random Pirate Comics Show!
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:50PM
Tundra at 11:37PM, July 18, 2006
(offline)
it's part one of two, so of course there are lots of plotlines.
jalford at 1:40PM, July 19, 2006
(online)
At least we won't have to be fed the instant “CAPTAIN” Jack Sparrow crap anymore, because he doesn't have a ship to be captain of since the Kraken destroyed it, so now he's just “Public Citizen” Jack Sparrow.
ccs1989 at 5:07PM, July 23, 2006
(online)
So I saw this movie today. Sorry, but I think it sucked. Nothing was resolved and the plot almost put me to sleep. 2 and a half hours of nothing much interesting happening. Bleh.

BigFishComic at 8:39PM, Aug. 27, 2006
(offline)
I refuse to watch this movie because they made a freaking cliff-hanger ending…

this better not end up like the matrix trilogy…making movies for the sake of making money
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:21AM
Anatak at 9:54PM, Aug. 27, 2006
(offline)
I thought this movie could have been good…. but they added certain things to it that really brought it down.

{}

Like when Jack, Legolas, and whats his face were fighting at the same time… Throwing in little sassy lines inbetween sword strikes… it really was horrible…. If they really wanted to kill each other they would have stabbed eachother in the back while they were fighting the other.. They had MANY chances to do this.

Or when the woman yelled at them to stop fighting, and when they wouldn't she threw a tantrum and sat on the ground… HORRIBLE.

I think they tried WAAAAY to hard to make things cute in this movie… the first movie was okay because it all balanced out, but this one… Having Jack act like a moron every chance they could (falling in holes, the entire natives scene pretty much, among others).

The only thing in the movie that I really liked was when the woman handcuffed Jack to the boat when the kraken was attacking, I didnt expect that, and the reaction Johnny portrayed reminded me of the old Jack Sparrow, not the clumsy buffoon they made him out to be in this movie.

There were some cool factors in the movie though, the squidface and his crew were pretty awesome.. I thought it was pretty funny when Jack got that jar of dirt.. Heh. It was certainly an “action-packed” movie, which is a good thing; But all the over-cuteness made it loose much of it's credibility in my eyes.
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:52AM
jalford at 12:33AM, Aug. 28, 2006
(online)
Matrix was written as a trilogy. They had in mind to do sequals after the first movie. The problem with them was they did Part 3 just a few months after Part 2, plus Part 2 fell into that “Remember everything you thought you knew about the story from Part 1? Well…It's not true! Here's what REALLY happened…” thing.

Part 1 of POTC was a single movie which didn't intentionally require an actual sequal, accept for the obvious need of making Disney even more money. Part 2 however was done solely as a lead-in to Part 3 while hardly even being it's own story at all.
ccs1989 at 8:08AM, Aug. 28, 2006
(online)
equinox
Trust me, it isn't. The Matrix started to fall apart at 2. POTC actually gets stronger at 2.

You're kidding, right? The first movie was so much better. Dead Man's Chest just sucked.

SpANG at 8:17AM, Aug. 28, 2006
(online)
Eh, I thought it was good. When you consider it is a sequel… based on a movie… based on an amusement park ride, how much plot can you really hope for? :roll:

Davey Jones & crew were great! I like that they started to “take on” the properties of the sea as their human parts expired.

Great effects, great action, and very funny. I couldn't really ask for more… especially when it's a Disney movie. :D

.: SpANG! :.
“To a rational mind, nothing is inexplicable. Only unexplained.”
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:51PM
Mazoo at 10:19AM, Aug. 29, 2006
(offline)
equinox
Why doesn't anyone just watch movies for entertainment anymore?

My friends ask me the same thing. I nitpick movies a lot, but that doesn't mean I don't enjoy them.

SpANG!, you make a good point. How much plot can you get from an amusement park ride? (They added Jack Sparrow to the ride. That disappoints me. Greatly.)
ccs1989 at 10:24AM, Aug. 29, 2006
(online)
Problem is I don't really like action scenes in movies. In animated movies, yes, because it has a certain fluidity there, but in Hollywood movies? No.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved