Media Megaforum

Pirates of the Caribbean 2
Ian Jay at 1:58PM, Aug. 29, 2006
(offline)
Mazoo
SpANG!, you make a good point. How much plot can you get from an amusement park ride? (They added Jack Sparrow to the ride. That disappoints me. Greatly.)

Nonsense! You can get an amazing amount of plot from amusement park rides! Just look at the cinematic masterpiece that was The Country Bears!

mrpedant
I'm of two minds here. Basically, I felt that Pirates 2 should be subtitled “The Empire Strikes Back” because that's basically what it is– a well done setup for another movie. There's nothing inherently wrong with the film, it just DOESN'T END. That's sort of irritating to me, because I have to pay $10 for a movie ticket these days, and I kind of want closure for that kind of money.

Well, the only reason people noticed the cliffhanger is because everyone was expecting a tight beginning-middle-and-ending movie package like the first movie. They filmed PotC 2 and 3 at roughly the same time (not unlike the two Matrix sequels, though they're still doing clean-up work on 3), and it was only natural for the two movies to complement each other.

Also it's important to remember that if you pay ten dollars for a good movie with a cliffhanger ending, it's likely you'll grudgingly shell out ten more dollars to see the rest of the story. You can go on and on about how a trilogy allows more narrative space and a deeper exploration of characters' psyches, but the fact of the matter is that Disney wants your money.

Besides, if you're so mad, why not write your own dang ending?

~IJ
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:56PM
SpANG at 5:59AM, Aug. 30, 2006
(online)
Mazoo
…(They added Jack Sparrow to the ride. That disappoints me. Greatly.)

Ugh. Really? Yet another reason for me NOT to go to Disneyworld. :wink:

.: SpANG! :.
“To a rational mind, nothing is inexplicable. Only unexplained.”
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:51PM
Comicmasta at 6:02AM, Aug. 30, 2006
(offline)
Kennedy0
I didn't really like it. I didn't hate it, but just didn't like it. All cliffhangers aside.

I can tolerate cliffhangers, but given the fact that the first movie was so self-contained it makes the structure of the trilogy seem off. For example, trilogies like Lord of the Rings are tight but ones like the Matrix seem like a single movie followed by a duology.
Dont forget harry potter.
i have been brought back….The Boanitia..grrrrr…..Must find Super Jesus!!!!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:43AM
Comicmasta at 8:27AM, Aug. 30, 2006
(offline)
Yeah the books did but after seeing the first two movies **shivers** i fell to pieces……the next two were good though ^-^, who knows same thing might happen to POTC:DMC
i have been brought back….The Boanitia..grrrrr…..Must find Super Jesus!!!!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:43AM
Ian Jay at 11:23AM, Aug. 30, 2006
(offline)
equinox
Comicmasta
Dont forget harry potter.

Don't remind me of those. The books kicked so much ass, but the first two movies sucked so hard.

You know, looking back… they did, didn't they?

~IJ
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:56PM
magickmaker at 6:21PM, Aug. 30, 2006
(offline)
I was dissapointed at the scene after the credits. I mean, the one after the credits in the first movie was cool, plus it explained why the monkey was still undead. But here, the ending after the ending just seemed like a bit of bad humour.

My friend had to pee really badly and she sat there squirming for the 20 odd minutes the credits rolled by. She was so mad at herself afterwards.

I liked the movie, but I don't think it had the flair of the first one. It was good, but not as good. Plus, I did get that creepy Matrix “The first movie was good and we're going to make it into crap” vibe from it.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:50PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved