Media Megaforum

Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides
lastcall at 4:18AM, Sept. 15, 2009
(offline)
I was watching Pirates 3 yesterday and realized they left it open for a fourth at the end, with the whole Fountain of Youth concept. I thought, “Would they be stupid enough to make a fourth Pirates movie?”

Turns out, yes. Yes, they are.

According to Wiki:

As detailed in “The Art of the Pirates of the Caribbean,” the proposed story for the fourth film was for Sparrow and Barbossa to meet up in the newly founded New Orleans, before they sail to find the Fountain of Youth together. Johnny Depp signed on to return in September 2008, and Ted Elliott and Terry Rossio began writing under the guidance of producer Jerry Bruckheimer. The film is set for release in May 2011.

Geoffrey Rush has expressed interest in returning as Barbossa. Beforehand, Verbinski was hesitant about directing, and has now decided to leave this to direct Bioshock instead. Keira Knightley has stated that she does not wish to continue playing her character of Elizabeth Swann as she wants to do different projects.

In June 2009, Bruckheimer stated Disney would prefer the fourth installment of Pirates be released before The Lone Ranger film, which he, Depp, Elliott and Rossio had been working on for release in May 2011. He also hoped Verbinski would return to direct after his BioShock adaptation had been put on hold.

At San Diego Comic-Con 2009, Bruckheimer stated he intends to begin filming in April and May 2010. Rob Marshall entered negotiations to direct in August 2009. Hollywood announced a possible steam punk flare in the fourth installment.
On 9/11/09, at the D23 convention, the title was announced as “Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides” with Johnny Depp in full Jack Sparrow make-up.

…Did you see that blurb in the last paragraph?

possible steam punk flare in the fourth installment

Steam punk pirates?!? WTF?

Anyway, they really need to leave this franchise alone. Yeah, Johnny Depp rocks as Jack Sparrow, but come on. It's like making another Star Wars when they KNOW it sucks. Oh wait… ;)
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:28PM
ozoneocean at 5:48AM, Sept. 15, 2009
(online)
steampunk eh? That'd be good. There's not enough steampunk in movies in my opinion.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:35PM
Dark Pascual at 8:03AM, Sept. 15, 2009
(online)
Have to admit that they caught my attention with the steampunk concept…

I'm the kind of guy that would wait until the movie before bash it senselessly…
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:07PM
da_kasha at 8:12AM, Sept. 15, 2009
(offline)
I'm sure this info has been out for ages and…

lastcall
I was watching Pirates 3 yesterday and realized they left it open for a fourth at the end, with the whole Fountain of Youth concept. I thought, “Would they be stupid enough to make a fourth Pirates movie?”

Turns out, yes. Yes, they are.

Is it really stupid when you know an established franchise is successful and you'll make millions off a movie no matter how crap it is as long as you stuff it chock full of CGI?

That sentence came out too long.

last edited on July 14, 2011 12:09PM
BffSatan at 8:16AM, Sept. 15, 2009
(online)
Should have stopped after number one.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:21AM
lefarce at 8:43AM, Sept. 15, 2009
(online)
I'm really starting to hate Johnny Depp.Tim Burton too. The two of them together: barf

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:33PM
Inkmonkey at 10:55AM, Sept. 15, 2009
(online)
I think there's a lot of potential if you cut out the dead weight (Keira Knightley and Orlando Bloom) with more focus on Depp, and especially, especially more focus on Geoffrey Rush. He doesn't get the amount of credit he deserves for his part in the films: I'll take Barbossa over Jack Sparrow any day.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:00PM
Hawk at 12:11PM, Sept. 15, 2009
(online)
As a guy who hates pirates on a personal level, I can't say I'm looking forward to any more movies about these glorified rapists and murderers. What little entertainment value I got out of the first movie didn't exist in the next two at all, except for the nice CGI effects.

I also don't get anything from that greasy unbathed drunkard Jack Sparrow. So he's neurotic and quirky–I get it. It doesn't mean that his presence on-screen equals instant enjoyment for me.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:46PM
lefarce at 1:07PM, Sept. 15, 2009
(online)
Hawk
As a guy who hates pirates on a personal level, I can't say I'm looking forward to any more movies about these glorified rapists and murderers. What little entertainment value I got out of the first movie didn't exist in the next two at all, except for the nice CGI effects.

As much as I like you Hawk, you really have the most bizzare view on movies.

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:34PM
Aurora Borealis at 5:06PM, Sept. 17, 2009
(online)
they might ruin it or they might deliver, who knows. to be honest this is the only “franchise” in recent years to get three good movies out (even if second and third were slightly weaker than the first one, but really, only slightly, and mostly because Klaus Badelt didn't write the music for them and thus the whole show suffered), so maybe they still have a fourth one in them.
Overall, the strenght was in how the roles seem to be written for the actors in a fashion that uses their skills well and to avoids their weaknesses. Seriously, these are the only movies where Orlando Bloom is watchable (other than Lord of the Rings, where his stiff acting is actually appropriate for a slightly “inhuman” elf).

So, I'm willing to give it a shot when it comes out.

And yes, Barbossa does rock a lot, but I like Jack Sparrow too.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:08AM
mlai at 4:53AM, Sept. 18, 2009
(online)
Wait, what's this about “Bioshock”? Are we talking about Resident Evil??

Wait, Hawk is actually offended that pirates are depicted in a positive entertainment light, the same way as ninjas and vigilantes? LOL Hawk WTF? Did you get mugged by Polynesian/African pirates while on a pleasure cruise?

FIGHT current chapter: Filling In The Gaps
FIGHT_2 current chapter: Light Years of Gold
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:06PM
Custard Trout at 6:22AM, Sept. 18, 2009
(offline)
Remember when Johnny Depp wasn't Jack Sparrow in every film he was in? Those were good times.
Hey buddy, you should be a Russian Cosmonaut, and here's why.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:02PM
Hawk at 8:57AM, Sept. 18, 2009
(online)
mlai

Wait, Hawk is actually offended that pirates are depicted in a positive entertainment light, the same way as ninjas and vigilantes? LOL Hawk WTF? Did you get mugged by Polynesian/African pirates while on a pleasure cruise?

You're right, there's some fun irony right there. I guess I was comically exaggerating my opinion based on the fact that I never really got into pirates as a kid.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:46PM
isukun at 3:49PM, Sept. 18, 2009
(online)

No, I think they're talking about Bioshock. You're thinking “Biohazard”.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:04PM
lastcall at 6:16PM, Sept. 18, 2009
(offline)
Inkmonkey
I think there's a lot of potential if you cut out the dead weight (Keira Knightley and Orlando Bloom) with more focus on Depp, and especially, especially more focus on Geoffrey Rush. He doesn't get the amount of credit he deserves for his part in the films: I'll take Barbossa over Jack Sparrow any day.

Agreed :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:28PM
magnetic at 6:40PM, Sept. 19, 2009
(offline)
I don't know… I guess for me it depends on the new actors they hire (assuming they will hire new actors, considering that two major characters have left). I've heard rumors about Zac Efron and, though they have been declared not true, that left me a bit weary of the film. But if they were to hire someone like Robert Downey Jr, James Marsden or Jeremy Irons ('cause I'm so obsessing over those three recently), I'd most likely go see the film.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:50PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved