Debate and Discussion

pirating pc games
Dirk Zephyrs at 7:48AM, Nov. 15, 2007
(offline)
I read a few posts and then was all ‘tl;dr’. I'd like to support the side of ‘acquiring’ objects.

Namely, I'm going to point to one game in particular that has my ire. TES IV: Oblivion. Now, I bought this game. Honest and true. I also bought the SI expansion. However, I wholeheartedly endorse the theft of Bethesda's mods. Why? Let's take one in particular.

Mehrune's Razor. Firstly, those of you with the game can verify this, since I've uninstalled it since and am too lazy to search for pics, open up the construction set. Go to the weapons section, and lo and behold, Mehrune's Razor. Already in your construction set. You don't need the mod to get Mehrune's Razor–the only thing it adds is a script and a quest. I've heard that the models for the horse armor are present as well.

Basically, Bethesda left off things in the game just to sell it to us later. While I'm dramatizing this, it's like saying, “YOU HAVE TO PAY $5 EXTRA TO GO THROUGH THE DOOR THAT LEADS TO THE FINAL BOSS!” In my opinion, that's wrong. Much worse than piracy, since it's fucking legal.

tl;dr: Bethesda left shit off in their game but forgot to remove it from the .bsa files, meaning that their mods are completely recreatable without purchasing them.
Pink Floyd
Breathe, breathe in the air.
Don't be afraid to care.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:11PM
Mister Mxyzptlk at 2:18PM, Nov. 15, 2007
(offline)
imshard
Just because you don't like a particular game or even the company that makes it, you don't have the right to steal.

Who said anything about having a right to steal it? I'm saying if the game companies want to seriously cut down on piracy then maybe they should think about schwag bags that make the box a better deal than downloading the game because they wont stop it by making legal threats or trying to make more exotic kinds of copy protection.

You won't get far trying to raise sympathy for corporate america after all…

My soul was removed to make room for all this sarcasm.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:04PM
DAJB at 3:27AM, Nov. 16, 2007
(online)
Cost shouldn't be a reason for pirating. Stealing is stealing. Plus, the cost of video games may look high but that's misleading. They aren't just covering their own costs but the costs of the whole business that produces them.

In particular, console games use the old “razor blade” pricing model. The consoles themselves are sold at a price which is essentially quite cheap (compared to the investment necessary to develop and build a new gen machine) and part of the development cost has to be recouped from the games that are sold afterwards. You can see this by comparing them with PC games which retail at a lower price but require a far more expensive machine to run them.

Also, just as with movies, for every game that goes on to become a blockbuster hit, there are dozens which fail. The successful games have to cover the costs of the failed games as well as their own, otherwise the developers would go out of business and we'd have no games at all.

last edited on July 14, 2011 12:03PM
Tantz Aerine at 5:37AM, Nov. 16, 2007
(online)
I agree with the no stealing principle in video games and movies- I have never had any CD-Rom or DVD that was not bought, but I have to say this one gripe I have about the whole campaign against copyright theft:

Every single time before the menu begins in a DVD, there is this HORRIBLE ‘You wouldn’t steal a car/phone/bag' commercial with that music that makes my ear drums bleed and occasionally the overwright of any button that will skip it or FF it.

Honestly, the way they tell me not to steal, it makes me want to do it just to spite them. Plus, I think those who do steal all that stuff would just snicker at the ad.

End result? Bleeding eardrums and a desire to eat the DVD.

last edited on July 14, 2011 4:07PM
Poke Alster at 11:06AM, Nov. 16, 2007
(offline)
I illegally copy all the time (ive stopped now) and i dont want to snigger at that
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:46PM
horseboy at 9:30PM, Nov. 16, 2007
(offline)
DAJB
In particular, console games use the old “razor blade” pricing model. The consoles themselves are sold at a price which is essentially quite cheap (compared to the investment necessary to develop and build a new gen machine) and part of the development cost has to be recouped from the games that are sold afterwards. You can see this by comparing them with PC games which retail at a lower price but require a far more expensive machine to run them.
Yeah, the retailer will usually loose $5 or so per console sold. That's why they always bundle them with the extra controller, and two games and that stupid “insurance” policy. So they can make their money back. I was in retail too long to stomach thieves.
There is no such word as “alot”. “A lot” is two words.
Voltaire
Never seek for happiness, it will merely allude the seeker. Never strive for knowledge, it is beyond man's scope. Never think, for in though lies all the ills of mankind. The wise man, like the rat, the crocodile, the fly, merely fulfills his natural function.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:50PM
glenfx at 12:04AM, Jan. 2, 2008
(online)
In my country there is a huge problem in finding original Movies or games because the government has a monetary control for the use of dollars, we where able to make purchases over the net for a total of 2500 US$ a YEAR, but they recently lowered it to 400 US$ a year, making it VERY difficult to buy things over the net now.

And the local retailers sell original games at 250 US$ per game (150$ for the psp and DS games) and about 60 US$ for DVD movies while the average income is between 300 and 400 US$ a month.
So you guessed it, piracy is the only way to get stuff around here and im ashamed to say ive bought a few too. Though im proud to say i did buy plenty of original games and movies, but with the current 400$ a year restriction i dont think im able to support them anymore which is a shame.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:37PM
ozoneocean at 12:14AM, Jan. 2, 2008
(online)
Glenfx, you shouldn't feel guilty. It sounds like your government has initiated the very conditions that allow piracy to flourish. That means that if much of that content wasn't being disseminated illegally, it wouldn't be disseminated at all- so the illegal trade subsidises the legal one: providing more potential future customers of legitimate versions of similar creative products.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:29PM
UltimaXG2 at 7:41PM, Feb. 5, 2008
(offline)
There is always going to be a way to exploit and pirate your games. So long as that ability to exploit exists, it's as good as yours. The way I see it, if you can't put enough protection on your game, you deserve to have it pirated.
Comics:
Beyond the Deep End
Mysterious Transfer Student
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:36PM
Hawk at 9:33AM, Feb. 6, 2008
(online)
UltimaXG2
The way I see it, if you can't put enough protection on your game, you deserve to have it pirated.

I strongly disagree with that. It's like saying, “If you can't put strong enough locks on your doors, you deserve to have your house robbed.”
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:46PM
UltimaXG2 at 8:49PM, Feb. 6, 2008
(offline)
Hawk
UltimaXG2
The way I see it, if you can't put enough protection on your game, you deserve to have it pirated.

I strongly disagree with that. It's like saying, “If you can't put strong enough locks on your doors, you deserve to have your house robbed.”

Oh, come now… When you put it that way, you make it sound like these big corporations can't afford better security. I guess I put it the wrong way… If you can beat a big corporation's security, you deserve it… It'd be like a 100 year old breaking into your house. If he can do it, he deserves whatever he can drag out.
Comics:
Beyond the Deep End
Mysterious Transfer Student
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:36PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved