Media Megaforum

Pixar's "UP"
lastcall at 2:37PM, May 31, 2009
(offline)
Hands down, best Pixar film yet.

But a warning: You'll be bawling like a baby within the first 30 minutes. It was quite an emotional roller-coaster.

…If I recall, it's also the first Pixar film to show blood.

Pixar's lineup through 2012
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:28PM
Hawk at 2:47PM, May 31, 2009
(online)
Yeah, it was pretty danged good. I'm not sure I want to call it my favorite Pixar movie, but it's possibly the best movie I've seen this year. And it further supports my opinion that Pixar is master storytellers.

Throughout the movie I couldn't help but think of that Princess and the Frog thread where so many people were selling CGI movies short and ignoring Pixar's contributions to the animation industry.

Go see Up.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:46PM
skoolmunkee at 3:46PM, May 31, 2009
(online)
Because movie companies are jackasses, UP doesn't come out in the UK til mid-October. :[ It's the same with a lot of movies. And they wonder why piracy is popular.
  IT'S OLD BATMAN
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:42PM
isukun at 4:54PM, May 31, 2009
(online)
I wouldn't say it's their best film yet. It follows the formula pretty closely and was fairly predictable, even in the shot direction. Animation was pretty typical and nothing in it really pushed the envelope. It was good for what it was, and definitely better than Wall-E, but I can't see myself watching it over and over like the Incredibles or Ratatouille.

I'm starting to think people just go to these movies and come out saying “best ever” just because it's Pixar.

Throughout the movie I couldn't help but think of that Princess and the Frog thread where so many people were selling CGI movies short and ignoring Pixar's contributions to the animation industry.

Actually, if anything, Pixar has helped weaken that industry. It's because of them that studios have lost their balls when it comes to animation. It's because of them we get all these cookie cutter movies. All they did was advance CGI and ever since, the animation industry has been in a downward spiral of increasingly formulaic and cheaper animation. Pixar opened the floodgates for companies like Disney to kill feature animation.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:04PM
Skullbie at 5:42PM, May 31, 2009
(online)
isukun
It follows the formula pretty closely
God freaking damn it, and here i was getting my hopes up for this movie too i'm still going to see it tonight i guess.

I think i'd have to agree on the ‘losing their balls’ thing mainly because Pixar is so damn intimidating. Jack black at the oscars for best animated film kinda made light on this too. Pixar's animation is freaking awesome but it's never anything but regurgitated plot via ‘male main character loses something due to personality flaw, finds he needs it back, searches for it, then changes his personality flaw and comes through for his friends in the end’ formula. But it really doesn't matter, they'll all still be big blockbusters and pixar lusting sites like rottentomatoes will still give them high ratings for being pixar.

last edited on July 14, 2011 3:47PM
Ryuthehedgewolf at 6:25PM, May 31, 2009
(offline)
Skullbie
isukun
God freaking damn it, and here i was getting my hopes up for this movie too i'm still going to see it tonight i guess.

I think i'd have to agree on the ‘losing their balls’ thing mainly because Pixar is so damn intimidating. Jack black at the oscars for best animated film kinda made light on this too. Pixar's animation is freaking awesome but it's never anything but regurgitated plot via ‘male main character loses something due to personality flaw, finds he needs it back, searches for it, then changes his personality flaw and comes through for his friends in the end’ formula. But it really doesn't matter, they'll all still be big blockbusters and pixar lusting sites like rottentomatoes will still give them high ratings for being pixar.

But it's Pixar.
They made Toy Story!
That should be enough!
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:16PM
fern at 8:38PM, May 31, 2009
(online)
I was expecting more from the 3-D… maybe 'cause I was sitting all the way in the back.

Word to the wise: Always sit in the front while watching a 3-D film.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:28PM
humorman at 1:19AM, June 1, 2009
(offline)
Delgo was better.

Billy vs. Tree – The epic struggle of boy versus tree.
Sonic Colores – It looks like it's going to be a good game because I love how the way it makes me grow.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:51PM
lastcall at 4:07AM, June 1, 2009
(offline)
humorman
Delgo was better.

I think it's funny that Delgo actually made it to the big screen. It has been in production for about ten years–they just couldn't find a company/studio to pay for its release & distribution. I remember looking at the Delgo website back in the day and was ashamed of how they basically were begging studios to pick it up.

Skullbie
Pixar's animation is freaking awesome but it's never anything but regurgitated plot via ‘male main character loses something due to personality flaw, finds he needs it back, searches for it, then changes his personality flaw and comes through for his friends in the end’ formula.

…If the formula works, then why change it?
ozoneocean at 6:49AM, June 1, 2009
(online)
I finally saw Wall-E tonight. It was pretty good. If you look at the story abstractly, then I suppose you could say that the plot followed Skulbie's summation of how they generally go- except you replace “lead male” with “human race”.

I liked that one as a film, except for the Mac turn on sound for WALL-E and his ipod video. Nothing against Apple in particular, but while I can imagine video maybe lasting somehow, ipods NO WAY. And the iconic Mac startup sound was teeth-jarringly twee. The only way it could've been worse is if it was Win95 and he had a Zune instead.

————–
Anyway, I've avoided a lot of the Disney Pixar stuff mostly, but if it's all as good as that then I'd like to check out new shows like this “Up” movie :)

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:34PM
isukun at 9:18AM, June 1, 2009
(online)

Because they get predictable and boring. There is a reason why the Brad Bird movies tend to be my favorite Pixar films. They DON'T follow the formula, making them more interesting and unique stories.
skoolmunkee at 1:42PM, June 1, 2009
(online)
ozoneocean
Anyway, I've avoided a lot of the Disney Pixar stuff mostly, but if it's all as good as that then I'd like to check out new shows like this “Up” movie :)
Man, if you ain't yet, you GOT to watch Incredibles. Great stuff. Monsters Inc is my close second. :]
  IT'S OLD BATMAN
korosu at 1:48PM, June 1, 2009
(online)
humorman
Delgo was better.
To quote Joe Swanson, “Wow, that was the worst piece of crap I've ever seen.” :P

I thought Up was pretty good. The theater I went to sucks and didn't have the 3D version of the film, so I can't say anything about that. I have noticed that Wall-E and Up have much more symbolism than the other movies, and that's especially so with the latter. Still, my personal favorites have always been Toy Story, Monsters, Inc., and The Incredibles.

Now that I think about it, some of the Pixar movies are a tad bit formulaic, but I don't think that necessarily makes them not as good.

The only disappointment I had coming out of the theater wasn't about the movie itself, but because the trailers didn't include a teaser for their next movie, as they've done in the past…especially since the next movie is Toy Story 3!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:21PM
lastcall at 3:06PM, June 1, 2009
(offline)
isukun

Because they get predictable and boring. There is a reason why the Brad Bird movies tend to be my favorite Pixar films. They DON'T follow the formula, making them more interesting and unique stories.

Well I agree with you there–Brad Bird is the man. :) I am glad he moved from WB to Pixar (him and Tony Fucile both). Smart move.
skoolmunkee at 2:45AM, June 2, 2009
(online)
I would worry about Toy Story 3, but Toy Story 2 was actually pretty good.

I am kinda worried about Cars 2 though. Cars was surprisingly decent, but I felt like the premise really only had one movie in it. The description of Cars 2 does not sound interesting.

I'd much rather see wholly new movies coming out than sequels though. (Unless it was an Incredibles sequel.)
  IT'S OLD BATMAN
Product Placement at 6:01AM, June 2, 2009
(online)
Sound like you guys are giving this UP movie a pretty decent review. I didn't think it be any good but you guys convinced me to take a peak.
Those were my two cents.
If you have any other questions, please deposit a quarter.
This space for rent.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:50PM
Hawk at 8:50AM, June 2, 2009
(online)
I agree with you on Cars 2, Skoolmunkee. Cars 1 surprised me by actually being enjoyable despite my disinterest in NASCAR. But the story doesn't seem as fertile as The Incredibles. Give me a sequel to that.

korosu
The only disappointment I had coming out of the theater wasn't about the movie itself, but because the trailers didn't include a teaser for their next movie, as they've done in the past…especially since the next movie is Toy Story 3!

It's odd that they didn't have a teaser or something to go with Up, and yet Pixar has just now put the Toy Story 3 teaser onto the internet. You can find it here:

http://www.apple.com/trailers/disney/toystory3/teaser_large.html
zaymac at 8:59AM, June 2, 2009
(online)
When I saw the trailers for this, I wasn't all that interested in seeing it. But after seeing it this weekend, it's possibly my favorite Pixar film after The Incredibles and Finding Nemo.

They didn't rely on the usual throw stuff at the screen that most 3D films do, the 3D was subdued, but done well.

It was quite sad in the beginning, but overall a satisfying film.

If nothing else, you've got to give Pixar credit as to the amount of cache they have built up as filmmakers.

10 years ago no major studio would've backed an animated movie about an octogenarian widower who goes on an adventure by strapping a ton of balloons to his house.

I highly recommend, my favorite movie of the year so far.

It's a Grizzly Bear battling Zombies. Do you need to know more?
DOLLAR STORE HAIRCUTA daily webcomic of unfunny.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:55PM
korosu at 1:11PM, June 2, 2009
(online)
Hawk
It's odd that they didn't have a teaser or something to go with Up, and yet Pixar has just now put the Toy Story 3 teaser onto the internet. You can find it here:

http://www.apple.com/trailers/disney/toystory3/teaser_large.html
Yeah, I just saw that this morning! Woo-hoo!
isukun at 5:49PM, June 2, 2009
(online)
They didn't rely on the usual throw stuff at the screen that most 3D films do, the 3D was subdued, but done well.

If I'm going to pay extra to see a movie in 3D, I kind of want the movie to really play off the 3D a bit more. This seemed more like an afterthought. The movie wasn't really made with 3D in mind, it was just kind of tacked on there at the end so Disney could suck a little more money out of viewers.

3D seems to be the big hook for animated films this year, but there aren't a lot that actually use it well.
lastcall at 6:25PM, June 2, 2009
(offline)
isukun
3D seems to be the big hook for animated films this year, but there aren't a lot that actually use it well.

Coraline used the 3D avenue well, in my opinion.
Inkmonkey at 9:47PM, June 2, 2009
(offline)
Skullbie
isukun

It's best to take anything Isukun says with a grain of salt. He loves to be the one person who's actually “intelligent” enough to hate the things that other people love.

Anyway, I really enjoyed Up, and was particularly happy with the beginning. It had this great balance of visuals and such to tell you a surprisingly complete, satisfying story about Carl and his wife, all without any dialogue. I've seen attempts at this before, and usually the director gets lazy and feels the need to have someone explicitly state what happened, or he's not as skilled as he thinks he is and doesn't give enough information for the audience to actually “get” what he's talking about. Anyway, I don't want to rant too much. I should just say that it's a good movie, but I wouldn't call it Pixar's best. I actually liked Wall-E a bit more, even though it was a more straight-forward, standard type of story. I think it's just because Wall-E himself is such an endearing character.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:00PM
Dark Pascual at 9:51AM, June 3, 2009
(online)
I just saw the trailer, and have to say that the movie looks really good…

As soon as it premiere here, I will go to see it…
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:07PM
Hawk at 1:49PM, June 3, 2009
(online)
I just ran across this and thought it was funny:

Druchii at 6:16AM, June 4, 2009
(online)
Hawk
I just ran across this and thought it was funny:

LMAOOOO!!! That is spot on! :D
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:17PM
TheMidge28 at 8:30PM, June 4, 2009
(online)
lastcall
But a warning: You'll be bawling like a baby within the first 30 minutes. It was quite an emotional roller-coaster.

just saw it tonight.
my daughter and I had Daddy Date Night and I was weeping like a freakin' child.
Glad my daughter is only 2.
I can only imagine how embarassed she would be if she was a teenager and her middle age father was sobbing like a sissy.
It was excellent but I wouldn't say the best Pixar film.
The Incredibles and Finding Nemo were better, but Up was excellent.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:25PM
Warpedwenger at 9:41PM, June 4, 2009
(online)
Note to everyone whatever Isukun says believe the opposite.

Up is a very enjoyable movie and the people at Pixar are wonderful storytellers. I think it's unfortunate that so many cookie-cutter CG films come out and play off of their popularity but it is retarded to hate them because of it. If you are great people will try to emulate you or otherwise capitalize on your success.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:47PM
lastcall at 4:34AM, June 5, 2009
(offline)
Hawk, that is an awesome comic you found there. I love it! lol!
mlai at 6:11AM, June 5, 2009
(online)
Yep yep, that stickman comic confirms it. I was talking about Dreamworks, not Pixar, when I said someone said all the basic 3D models seem “reused”.

FIGHT current chapter: Filling In The Gaps
FIGHT_2 current chapter: Light Years of Gold
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:06PM
korosu at 12:06PM, June 5, 2009
(online)
lastcall
Hawk, that is an awesome comic you found there. I love it! lol!
Am I missing something? I don't see a comic there… >_>

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved